PDA

View Full Version : Can all of SouthWest make the playoffs?

FlashBolt
10-31-2014, 11:32 PM
It's looking as if Portland, Clippers, Warriors, and SA, Memphis, Houston, Dallas, and Pelicans are the playoff contenders in the West. Has this ever happened before where one division is taking over?

cmellofan15
10-31-2014, 11:34 PM
Pelicans....?

FlashBolt
11-01-2014, 12:10 AM
Pelicans....?

IMO, they are the eighth best team in the West. You can argue Phoenix but if AD can play the way we expect (2nd best NBA player?), they have an argument.

xxplayerxx23
11-01-2014, 07:16 AM
IMO, they are the eighth best team in the West. You can argue Phoenix but if AD can play the way we expect (2nd best NBA player?), they have an argument.

He won't overtake durant

eso
11-01-2014, 07:20 AM
He won't overtake durant

Says who? And if he did wouldn't that make him the best in the nba

xxplayerxx23
11-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Says who? And if he did wouldn't that make him the best in the nba

Lebron and Durant are far and away the best two players in the world. Davis is very good and has the potential to be one of the best but he won't overtake durant IMO

P&GRealist
11-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Why the hell not ?

Goose17
11-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Pelicans aren't making it.

MrfadeawayJB
11-01-2014, 01:59 PM
It could happen

FOBolous
11-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Lebron and Durant are far and away the best two players in the world. Davis is very good and has the potential to be one of the best but he won't overtake durant IMO

after this year, the conversation's going to be Lebron, Durant, AND Davis. calling it right now.

Vinny642
11-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Durant is my favorite non Pelican, but lets be real, he is an offensive juggernaut, but his defense... is average, maybe slightly above average, nothing ground breaking.

I am also not saying AD is better than him or anything. But as far as best two way players go, it is a lot closer than it seems.

Jamiecballer
11-01-2014, 05:20 PM
the only team I am not convinced 100% is a playoff team is Portland, and even they are good.

Goose17
11-01-2014, 05:31 PM
the only team I am not convinced 100% is a playoff team is Portland, and even they are good.

You're convinced by New Orleans?

Jamiecballer
11-01-2014, 05:34 PM
You're convinced by New Orleans?
On paper, yes. With Davis you've got a chance every night. You aren't I assume?

Goose17
11-01-2014, 05:41 PM
On paper, yes. With Davis you've got a chance every night. You aren't I assume?

Not with the depth in the West. I like Davis, Jrue, Anderson. Just don't think there's enough pieces there or enough depth to make the post season in the west.

I mean to be an 8th seed in the western conference you need to be playing nearly .600 ball never mind .500

I'm convinced by Portland more than New Orleans.

Jamiecballer
11-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Not with the depth in the West. I like Davis, Jrue, Anderson. Just don't think there's enough pieces there or enough depth to make the post season in the west.

I mean to be an 8th seed in the western conference you need to be playing nearly .600 ball never mind .500

I'm convinced by Portland more than New Orleans.
I probably should have said I can see them all making it but would be least surprised if Portland didn't.

I admit i don't know what they did to bolster that bench in the off season but IMO there was no bigger gap between starters and bench then there was in Portland. Like my Raptors they were exceptionally healthy last year and the odds of that happening two years in a row are not great.

mzgrizz
11-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Southwest division is SA, Dallas, Memphis, Houston and NO.........if NO comes on strong, I don't see why not.

FOBolous
11-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Anthony Davis with 31 pts, 15 rebs, 2 steals, and 3 blocks tonight. his FG% was subpar for a bigman tho. nevertheless, dude is a beast.

Mr.B
11-01-2014, 10:20 PM
I think the Pelicans need better perimeter defense and better PG play to be legit title contenders but with that front line they are definitely good enough to make the playoffs.

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 10:22 PM
I probably should have said I can see them all making it but would be least surprised if Portland didn't.

I admit i don't know what they did to bolster that bench in the off season but IMO there was no bigger gap between starters and bench then there was in Portland. Like my Raptors they were exceptionally healthy last year and the odds of that happening two years in a row are not great.

I agree with this, which is why- in the west betting on portland is very dicey. if any of their starters miss a month and they need to count on their second unit to play quality minutes- things start to look really bleak

SF8
11-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Pelicans and Dallas both won't make it. At best, only one of them will make it and I'd say Dallas.

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Pelicans and Dallas both won't make it. At best, only one of them will make it and I'd say Dallas.

a lot of people are saying dallas takes a top 4 seed

xxplayerxx23
11-01-2014, 10:34 PM
after this year, the conversation's going to be Lebron, Durant, AND Davis. calling it right now.

That's fine, Davis won't surpass durant though. He can get up to being behind durant and lebron

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2014, 11:45 PM
I think all of the SW teams can make the playoffs, but I don't think they will. Somebody is going to have injury issues... if the Pelicans aren't over .500 come Christmas, they better get a knew coach. No problems with Monty, but they have enough talent they should be winning games by now: Anthony Davis (franchise player), Gordon(potential AS), Holiday (AS), Evans (ROY), Anderson (MIP), Asik (great rebounder/defender), Lopez (solid shooter).... not a lot of depth, but they DO have great 7-8 man rotation.

All the other teams made it last year, so I don't see why they shouldn't all be able to make it this year. The biggest problem is they will be playing each other.

But since we can assume the Clippers, Warriors Thunder will make it, the Pelican will have to do better than the Blazers to get in.... I'm not sure that will happen.. they will struggle to stay ahead of the Nuggets and Suns, and potentially the Kings if Collison continues to play as well as he has so far.

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2014, 11:49 PM
That's fine, Davis won't surpass durant though. He can get up to being behind durant and lebron

I dunno.... 31 and 14 tonight... 3 blocks and 2 steals to boot? He's playing like a beast so far this year.

Davis CAN be in the conversation with LBJ and Durant THIS year.

The thing with Davis is that he is a dominant rebound and he can score. He's developing his passing game, and he will likely come away with a DPOY award this year or next or both. Being the best defender and also an All-Star calibre offensive player puts him at an elite level on both ends of the floor. LBJ and KD are both great defenders but they are DPOY defenders and can't carry the kind of impact of a post defender.

Davis reminds me a lot of Duncan. He is just amazing.

SF8
11-02-2014, 02:22 AM
a lot of people are saying dallas takes a top 4 seed

I don't see it. They added Parsons and a Tyson Chandler that has sucked/struggled to stay healthy the past 2-3 years.

I don't think that's enough to go from #8 to #4 in the West.

Mr.B
11-02-2014, 10:00 AM
I don't see it. They added Parsons and a Tyson Chandler that has sucked/struggled to stay healthy the past 2-3 years.

I don't think that's enough to go from #8 to #4 in the West.

We will see! Chandler actually likes playing in Dallas and looks rejuvenated already. And after that first game Parsons has also played extremely well. The way he's fitting into the offense he could easily average 20/5/5 this season. And don't forget about all the other guys they've added that are contributing and fitting in really well. Plus they probably have the best team chemistry (as far as how well the players like each other and get along) in the NBA.

mightybosstone
11-02-2014, 10:28 AM
The Pelicans are obviously the wild card here. I see San Antonio, Memphis, Houston and Dallas as pretty much locks barring a major injury or someone (maybe Chandler, Randolph, Dwight or Duncan) just having an unexpectedly poor season. But stranger things have happened, and I'm starting to buy into that New Orleans team a little bit.

The Pelicans just need to get more consistency from PG-SF. That front court with Davis, Asik and Anderson is so well constructed and fits together like a glove. But I want to see Holiday, Evans and/or Gordon step up and be a legit No. 2 or No. 3 guy. I've never trusted Evans or Gordon, but I think Jrue could still be that guy if he stays healthy this season. And in Evans' defense, he did play some fantastic basketball last year after the All-Star break.

The Western Conference playoff race is going to be so interesting to watch this season. OKC will dig themselves a pretty big hole to climb out of after missing Westy and Durant until December, while I'm not so convinced Phoenix and Portland are as good as they seemed to be last season. So I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if New Orleans somehow squeezed into a 7th or 8th seed this year.

xxplayerxx23
11-02-2014, 11:15 AM
I dunno.... 31 and 14 tonight... 3 blocks and 2 steals to boot? He's playing like a beast so far this year.

The thing with Davis is that he is a dominant rebound and he can score. He's developing his passing game, and he will likely come away with a DPOY award this year or next or both. Being the best defender and also an All-Star calibre offensive player puts him at an elite level on both ends of the floor. LBJ and KD are both great defenders but they are DPOY defenders and can't carry the kind of impact of a post defender.

Well it is only two games and kd hasn't played yet. I agree Davis is an animal
I just don't see him surpassing any of them. Hell I hope he does I like Davis a lot it's just kd and Lebron are so amazing and I have them better then him.

SF8
11-02-2014, 05:23 PM
We will see! Chandler actually likes playing in Dallas and looks rejuvenated already. And after that first game Parsons has also played extremely well. The way he's fitting into the offense he could easily average 20/5/5 this season. And don't forget about all the other guys they've added that are contributing and fitting in really well. Plus they probably have the best team chemistry (as far as how well the players like each other and get along) in the NBA.

Does Dallas have much of a bench though?

Mr.B
11-02-2014, 05:25 PM

They're one of the deepest teams in the NBA.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 05:38 PM
They're one of the deepest teams in the NBA.

LOL... what? What do you mean by "one of the deepest teams in the NBA"... do you mean like top 5 in terms of depth? Top 10? Top 15?

akia83
11-02-2014, 06:03 PM

Davis will probably be the DPOY, but he's far from being the best defensive player in his own team, let alone the NBA :)

The last year top 9 teams are better than the Pelicans

xbrackattackx
11-02-2014, 06:56 PM

Thier bench is sick!

JJ
Richard Jefferson
Aminu(who is playing awesome)
Devin Harris(6th man)
Greg Smith
Jae Crowder
Ledo
And I know I'm forgetting someone.

But nice bench!

Jameer Nelson looks like his Orlando prime days and both chandler's are fitting right in.

Thumper 88
11-02-2014, 10:48 PM
LOL... what? What do you mean by "one of the deepest teams in the NBA"... do you mean like top 5 in terms of depth? Top 10? Top 15?

Lol you don't ever stop

MrfadeawayJB
04-16-2015, 12:26 AM
Yes! And they did. Best division in nba history? And in the west!

FlashBolt
04-16-2015, 12:38 AM

Pelicans....?

Told ya.

FlashBolt
04-16-2015, 12:38 AM
Has this ever happened before? CRAZY division. Literally hell lol.

Vinny642
04-16-2015, 01:45 AM
Thats what we do, no team in this division deserves any criticism on how they made it to the playoffs, or if they deserved to.

Saddletramp
04-16-2015, 04:17 AM
Man, I need to dig up some old threads from last off season. It only shows stuff from the last few months.

Anyone know how to dig those out or are they lost? Among other things, I'm interested in finding my sig bet with SPURSFAN1. I'm pretty sure it was who ended with the best record between Houston and Dallas? But I'm not sure.

Verbal Christ
04-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Man, I need to dig up some old threads from last off season. It only shows stuff from the last few months.

Anyone know how to dig those out or are they lost? Among other things, I'm interested in finding my sig bet with SPURSFAN1. I'm pretty sure it was who ended with the best record between Houston and Dallas? But I'm not sure.

Remember preseason when the ROX were shat on for letting go Asik/Lin/Parsons? Remember when most people here said that at best we'd be an 8 seed? Alot said HOU would miss the playoffs altogether. Remember when James comes out before the season and says he's one of the best players in the world? Everyone laughed and mocked him. When they all said that DAL was a top team in the league.

I remember, and all I can say is DIVISION ****ING CHAMPS BABY!

From this point forward its all icing for me. I dont like to play what if's, but really I wonder what this Houston team could have done healthy all year. Not really great expectations for a serious run without Bev and Dmo, but man was it fun just getting here.

I think its only the 3rd time in History a full division has made the playoffs, one other time as the Southwest Division (go figure) and then the Central did it once.

JasonJohnHorn
04-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Yes. I say yes. I'll bet 10 trillion dollars on it in fact.

Raidaz4Life
04-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Remember preseason when the ROX were shat on for letting go Asik/Lin/Parsons? Remember when most people here said that at best we'd be an 8 seed? Alot said HOU would miss the playoffs altogether. Remember when James comes out before the season and says he's one of the best players in the world? Everyone laughed and mocked him. When they all said that DAL was a top team in the league.

I remember, and all I can say is DIVISION ****ING CHAMPS BABY!

From this point forward its all icing for me. I dont like to play what if's, but really I wonder what this Houston team could have done healthy all year. Not really great expectations for a serious run without Bev and Dmo, but man was it fun just getting here.

I think its only the 3rd time in History a full division has made the playoffs, one other time as the Southwest Division (go figure) and then the Central did it once.

Win a series before you come out gloating

Saddletramp
04-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Win a series before you come out gloating

He's gloating over how many people left the Rockets for dead coming into this year and they somehow made the second seed and were division champs. Everything else is just icing.