Jerry Zgoda ‏@JerryZgoda
Ricky Rubio and Wolves agreed to four-year, $56 million extension, source says

:speechless:

More-Than-Most
10-31-2014, 08:57 PM
Lelelelelelelelelelel xd

Cracka2HI!
10-31-2014, 09:02 PM
He will never be picked in a re-draft on PSD again.

beasted86
10-31-2014, 09:03 PM
Some teams try and win championships...

I actually think the Wolves are trying to be in the lottery every year. I am absolutely not joking at all.

leprechaun5
10-31-2014, 09:03 PM
That's to much money for an average PG, very bad contract IMO.

Lakers + Giants
10-31-2014, 09:13 PM
Oh my.....

Cant wait for hawkeyes' response, wow!

Cal827
10-31-2014, 09:14 PM
:pity:

Well guys, we know our value on the open Market in the NBA :laugh2:

IBleedPurple
10-31-2014, 09:16 PM
Lulz. It must be Halloween with these contracts today.

RLundi
10-31-2014, 09:17 PM
Simply.

Terrible.

FlashBolt
10-31-2014, 09:22 PM
Meh, he's a $10 million player. $14 million is a bit too much but this is not anywhere close to what Klay received..

Cal827
10-31-2014, 09:22 PM
Oh my.....

Cant wait for hawkeyes' response, wow!

It's gonna suck when he wakes up tomorrow, and learns that this wasn't an attempt to scare him.

Rivera
10-31-2014, 09:41 PM
Man Kemba got a discount

Hawkeye15
10-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Give me a ****ing break. 4 more years of him making 14 million now, to turn the ball over and brick layups. I may be giving him too much credit, he many times misses the rim all together on layups, which is technically not a brick...

JasonJohnHorn
10-31-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm sorry Hawkeye.... I'm sorry.

*hugs*

force_within
10-31-2014, 09:50 PM
he's not even worth more than 10 million..

CodeRed
10-31-2014, 09:56 PM
He got more money than Faried hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

Duncan = Donkey
10-31-2014, 10:04 PM
:laugh2:

spreadeagle
10-31-2014, 10:19 PM
Derozan and Lowry's 10 mil a year deals are looking sweeter n sweeter

Sly Guy
10-31-2014, 10:30 PM
yikes.

Why?

SeoulBeatz
10-31-2014, 10:35 PM
Alright, forget what i said about Klay Thompson's contract..... now THIS is ridiculous.....

BHF
10-31-2014, 10:45 PM
Derozan and Lowry's 10 mil a year deals are looking sweeter n sweeter

So he only gets 6 million less than Derozan and Lowry combined?

black1605
10-31-2014, 11:02 PM
Kemba's deal looks great.

LanceUpperCut
10-31-2014, 11:09 PM
And people actually thought Lowry was overpaid.

BHF
10-31-2014, 11:16 PM
And people actually thought Lowry was overpaid.

Most people outside of the raps fan base and even some raps fans don't know how good Lowry is, they only look at the box score, but Lowry is one of the best defensive pg in the league and that doesn't show on a box score. Lowry is underpaid he is by far the best player on that team.

Crackadalic
11-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Wow sorry hawkeye

Hawkeye15
11-01-2014, 12:21 AM
I love how people are giving me so much sympathy in this thread hahaha

Thank you everyone, for understanding my pain of being a puppies fan

Blitzbolt
11-01-2014, 12:28 AM
Just not good at all the worst part to me is that he doesn't fit with Wiggins..no chemistry what's so ever.

JNA17
11-01-2014, 12:39 AM
I mean, this guy is not even worth half of that money. What...why...why?

abe_froman
11-01-2014, 12:47 AM
as i said in the other thread when everyone was freaking out of thompson. while its crap under this year's numbers,in couple years this will be ordinary and you guys wont think much of it

SF8
11-01-2014, 01:21 AM
Did the T-Wolves hire Kahn back?

Lowry and Bledsoe are both MUCH better PGs than Rubio and they both signed for less. In Bledsoe's case, its the same amount per yr but Suns got an extra year out of it.

Iron24th
11-01-2014, 01:24 AM
Now he's untradeable, good for them that they have Wiggins on his cheap rookie contract for years.

koreancabbage
11-01-2014, 01:30 AM
ROFL. He gets paid 6million more than the entire Raptors backcourt. wow. WTF is wrong with these NBA gm & owners. I thought they didn't want to give out the big contracts for average players.

Sadds The Gr8
11-01-2014, 01:36 AM
never seen a player live off hype for so long...

awful deal

Ezio
11-01-2014, 01:57 AM
He's getting paid more Curry :puke:

cmellofan15
11-01-2014, 02:01 AM
Don't worry guys, it'll look like league minimum next year...

SF8
11-01-2014, 04:32 AM
Rubio is basically just a rich man's Kendall Marshall. And Marshall is on the vet min I think.

PurpleLynch
11-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Whaaaat? His agent must be Remy LeBeau...

zn23
11-01-2014, 09:16 AM
"money well spent"- said no one ever.

GiantsSwaGG
11-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Hawkeye doesn't deserve this

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Apparently Rubio has the BEST agent EVER!

koreancabbage
11-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Don't worry guys, it'll look like league minimum next year...

na brah,10 years from now, we will all still be saying. how the **** did Rubio get that contract?

Oefarmy2005
11-01-2014, 11:57 AM
This is a ridiculous contract for him. He is worth, 10/yr on the high end in the open market. Wolves love signing their players to terrible contracts. Different regime, same story. Hope he proves he is worth it, but I really, really doubt it.

BKLYNpigeon
11-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Its sad...

Theres just not enough talent in the NBA and no FA wants to play for the Wolves. They have to overpay, This is what small market teams have to do to survive and keep fans coming to the games.

Goose17
11-01-2014, 12:43 PM
no FA wants to play for the Wolves. They have to overpay, This is what small market teams have to do to survive and keep fans coming to the games.

This^

It will set a precedent though. If one other player at that level gets that sort of money then the market for those guys will change much like it has for wing players after Hayward and Parsons (and now Klay)

rapsjaysfan88
11-01-2014, 01:08 PM
kyle lowrys contract looks better everday....

tp13baby
11-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Its sad...

Theres just not enough talent in the NBA and no FA wants to play for the Wolves. They have to overpay, This is what small market teams have to do to survive and keep fans coming to the games.

I agree to an extent. But 14 mill for this piece? haha

Kenneth Faried is miles better and he signed for less. I would of started over cause you aren't getting anywhere with Rubio as your top salary guy.

Nick O
11-01-2014, 07:54 PM
worst contract ever. i would give him 20$ to never play for my team. that's about it. dude isn't a 1 million dollar PG and hes not even gonna gets assists with Klove gone. hes Sebastian Telfair with worse offensive skills.

Goose17
11-01-2014, 08:06 PM
LOL a lot of rubio hate in this thread.

Overpaid sure but damn, let's quit acting like he's Mario Chalmers or something.

Cal827
11-01-2014, 08:20 PM

Overpaid sure but damn, let's quit acting like he's Mario Chalmers or something.

Lol, I think, with all things considered now:

Chalmers > Rubio

Nick O
11-01-2014, 08:33 PM

i would take Chalmers ALL day.. Rubio has no upside.. like legit none. he gets steals? but hes not really a great defender. offensively hes the worst shooter in basketball history (thats a fact look it up) cant hit a layup. just a flashy passer who wont even get many assists with Love gone.. hes useless man.

Goose17
11-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Wow... people getting drunk on haterade tonight.

Especially Raptors fans... which is weird.

Cal827
11-01-2014, 09:03 PM
^ :laugh: Well I guess when you resign a PG for an amount where you even think is a little of an overpayment.... then see something like this contract end up going to someone like this, we're taken aback/ thanking the stars that we resigned ours for cheap lol

beasted86
11-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Even before this contract, if there was a rumor that the Wolves offered Rubio for Chalmers straight up, I would say no as a HEAT fan. He's not a good player. Seriously.. this isn't hate. Out of the 30 starting PGs in the NBA, just going down the list of teams...

Teague
Rondo
Deron
Kemba
Rose
Irving
Lawson
Curry
Hill
Paul
Conley
Jrue
Westbrook
MCW
Dragic/Bledsoe
Lillard
Parker
Lowry
Wall

All those are hands down better players than Rubio right now. 20 starting PGs are for sure higher.

Debatable guys who I would rather have also: B. Knight, Collison, Lin

Vampirate
11-01-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure if I only speak for myself, but as a Raptor's fan I would like to thank the Timberwolves management on being dumb, it means the Raptors have a better odds of signing Wiggins when he hits free agency.

Cracka2HI!
11-01-2014, 09:45 PM
The higher cap is going to make teams go nuts. A higher cap is bad for the game. These are the kinds of contracts that lead to lockouts. The NBA should really find a different format that can pay players like LeBron what they are really worth while not crippling the small market teams by having to give players like Rubio contracts like this. The MLS model might make sense for the NBA. Give each team a player or 2 that doesn't count against their cap.

Goose17
11-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Anyone that thinks Chalmers is better than Rubio is either delusional, doesn't know a thing about basketball, has never watched both players play or is having a knee jerk reaction to Rubios contract.

When Rubio was 16 he was better than Chalmers is now. That is not an exaggeration.

I mean yeah he's overpaid but let's stop pretending he's a scrub shall we? This is getting beyond ridiculous.

It's not like this is an Allan Houston or Gilbert Arenas type deal.

Sota4Ever
11-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Rubio with 17 assists tonight… Didn't see Love out there though.

beasted86
11-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Anyone that thinks Chalmers is better than Rubio is either delusional, doesn't know a thing about basketball, has never watched both players play or is having a knee jerk reaction to Rubios contract.

When Rubio was 16 he was better than Chalmers is now. That is not an exaggeration.

I mean yeah he's overpaid but let's stop pretending he's a scrub shall we? This is getting beyond ridiculous.

It's not like this is an Allan Houston or Gilbert Arenas type deal.

Chalmers is now playing where he should have been playing to start his career, as a decent backup guard. Nobody seems to be confused about how mediocre and inconsistent Chalmers is. He got two deals from the HEAT at $4M both times. He's been paid at around his value, and basically played to that value. He started the league on a 2nd round contract with multiple non-guaranteed years, and has only been given a 3yr and now a 2yr deal since then so that a team can easily move him or just get rid of him when needed.

On the other hand a number of people seem to be uninformed with just how mediocre and inconsistent Rubio is. He's worse than 20 starting PGs in the NBA, but will be paid more than roughly 65% of those guys I just mentioned, and only 1 singular player out of that list is on a rookie contract when making that statement (MCW). Every other player has a deal, or has their extension that's yet to kick in.

beasted86
11-01-2014, 10:36 PM
I mean yeah he's overpaid but let's stop pretending he's a scrub shall we?

Rubio is not a scrub? So, basically you are saying he's a good player?

If he's not a scrub, he should be better than the average PG, right?

BHF
11-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Rubio is not a scrub? So, basically you are saying he's a good player?

If he's not a scrub, he should be better than the average PG, right?

or he can just be average?

beasted86
11-01-2014, 11:08 PM
or he can just be average?

What is the barometer for average? I can't think of who would be the prototypical "average" PG that Rubio is supposedly better than.

For me, the prototypical "average" would be somewhere between Deron Williams (last year) and George Hill. Rubio is clearly a worse player than both. I'm pretty sure that can't even be reasonably debated. Any argument for Rubio being better than either is a very hard reach, borderline lying.

Sota4Ever
11-01-2014, 11:11 PM
What is the barometer for average? I can't think of who would be the prototypical "average" PG that Rubio is supposedly better than.

For me, the prototypical "average" would be somewhere between Deron Williams (last year) and George Hill. Rubio is clearly a worse player than both. I'm pretty sure that can't even be reasonably debated. Any argument for Rubio being better than either is a very hard reach, borderline lying.

How many games have you watched Rubio play?

beasted86
11-01-2014, 11:17 PM
How many games have you watched Rubio play?

Excluding FIBA, full games probably 10-12 games. Every single game I watch him he's been garbage.

Sota4Ever
11-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Excluding FIBA, full games probably 10-12 games. Every single game I watch him he's been garbage.

So you have watched 10 games out of his 3 years in the nba and FIBA, and you can say with complete confidence that he is garbage, and Mario Chalmers is better.

THE MTL
11-01-2014, 11:29 PM
These contracts are getting INSANE and its the small markets ruining it. A lockout is on the way ppl.

Bledsoe gets 14mil per year. Klay thompson gets 18mil per year. Rubio gets 14 mil per year. Haywood gets 16mil per year. Parsons get 15mil per year.

These guys havent made a single allstar team and have maybe one season of good basketball and are getting ridiculous money.

And they are all 3rd options on a true contender.

beasted86
11-01-2014, 11:29 PM
So you have watched 10 games out of his 3 years in the nba and FIBA, and you can say with complete confidence that he is garbage, and Mario Chalmers is better.

Who said that Mario Chalmers was better? I said I would take him over Rubio for the HEAT, and would have declined a straight up trade offer this summer. I believe Rubio is one dimensional even more so than Rondo (who I also think would be a terrible fit for the HEAT).

Regardless, I believe he not a starting PG, the same as Chalmers.

goingfor28
11-01-2014, 11:35 PM
I agree. Like someone else said there are probably 25 point guards that are better than RR

Sota4Ever
11-01-2014, 11:40 PM
I agree. Like someone else said there are probably 25 point guards that are better than RR

And you judge that on ppg and fg% probably. I have seen your football knowledge so it doesn't surprise me that your basketball knowledge is even worse.

Sota4Ever
11-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Who said that Mario Chalmers was better? I said I would take him over Rubio for the HEAT, and would have declined a straight up trade offer this summer. I believe Rubio is one dimensional even more so than Rondo (who I also think would be a terrible fit for the HEAT).

Regardless, I believe he not a starting PG, the same as Chalmers.

So just because the guy doesn't have a high ppg or shoots well from the field he is not a starting pg? No matter how many rebounds, assists, or steals he gets.

goingfor28
11-01-2014, 11:50 PM
And you judge that on ppg and fg% probably. I have seen your football knowledge so it doesn't surprise me that your basketball knowledge is even worse.
Rubio sucks is what I base that on lol. And I think I've made 5 posts ever in the nfl forum and it was about the AP suspension. Not even stats

Sota4Ever
11-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Rubio sucks is what I base that on lol. And I think I've made 5 posts ever in the nfl forum and it was about the AP suspension. Not even stats

Never post in the vikings forum?

goingfor28
11-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Never post in the vikings forum?
I do. Frequently. Not about statistical debates though.

beasted86
11-01-2014, 11:57 PM

I honestly don't know what we should use to judge him.

Just speaking openly as an opposing fan, Rubio is a ghost on the court. I don't know, nor do I care when he's in the game. I'm going to disregard using all-star level PGs, on purpose when making this statement... but just for example, say its the final moments of the game, when I see the ball in Kemba Walker's hands or Jeff Teague's hands as an opposing fan, it makes me a little bit nervous. I know these guys are just ballers, man. They can just get into the lane and wreak havoc with either their scoring or passing. They can also go streaky and hit some big long range shots at times. If I am watching one of my players try and make an iso play against Mike Conley or even Jrue Holiday, I'm a bit nervous they are going to make my team's player work extra hard for that score. Force them into a tough shot.

When Rubio is on the court, I would never be nervous about anything. To me he's not a threat to do any damage any more than any other scrub role player. He might as well be Corey Brewer out there. They are one in the same in my fear level of what they can do. Maybe since you are a fan you can shed some light on what makes Rubio special to us who don't watch him as much.

Sota4Ever
11-02-2014, 12:06 AM
I honestly don't know what we should use to judge him.

Just speaking openly as an opposing fan, Rubio is a ghost on the court. I don't know, nor do I care when he's in the game. I'm going to disregard using all-star level PGs, on purpose when making this statement... but just for example, say its the final moments of the game, when I see the ball in Kemba Walker's hands or Jeff Teague's hands as an opposing fan, it makes me a little bit nervous. I know these guys are just ballers, man. They can just get into the lane and wreak havoc with either their scoring or passing. They can also go streaky and hit some big long range shots at times. If I am watching one of my players try and make an iso play against Mike Conley or even Jrue Holiday, I'm a bit nervous they are going to make my team's player work extra hard for that score. Force them into a tough shot.

When Rubio is on the court, I would never be nervous about anything. To me he's not a threat to do any damage any more than any other scrub role player. He might as well be Corey Brewer out there. They are one in the same in my fear level of what they can do. Maybe since you are a fan you can shed some light on what makes Rubio special to us who don't watch him as much.

Saying all the stuff in the world that makes Rubio a good player won't change your opinion. You can't go from saying Rubio is a scrub and you wouldn't even trade a backup pg for him, to me saying good things about him to change your opinion. It just won't happen. Does having 17 assists in a game impress you? It probably won't because he doesn't score enough. Does getting 2 steals a game impress you? Probably not because those aren't points.

Hawkeye15
11-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Sota, I get your points, but Rubio is stupidly overpaid. He is not even an average starting PG, and this is coming from a Wolves fan who has watched 95% of his games, the last 2 in person, understands stats, the CBA, and anything else you can think of.

Rubio is absolutely a below average starting PG. And he is going to get paid like he is a top 10 one starting next year. I am not happy with this deal, even if the cap goes way up in 2 years. They should have let him hit RFA, and made him prove his worth this season.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-02-2014, 12:40 AM
I am a Rubio believer. He will be an all star in the last year of this deal.

Sota4Ever
11-02-2014, 12:45 AM
Sota, I get your points, but Rubio is stupidly overpaid. He is not even an average starting PG, and this is coming from a Wolves fan who has watched 95% of his games, the last 2 in person, understands stats, the CBA, and anything else you can think of.

Rubio is absolutely a below average starting PG. And he is going to get paid like he is a top 10 one starting next year. I am not happy with this deal, even if the cap goes way up in 2 years. They should have let him hit RFA, and made him prove his worth this season.

Rubio is overpaid but everyone knew it was going to happen. Rubio brings in to much money for the timberwolves that they weren't going to let him go. He is a player that fans like to see, he is flashy with the ball and always gives 100%.

Rubio has a lot to improve on, but how anyone can say he is a scrub and they wouldn't trade a back up pg for him is unbelievably stupid. This is a guy that can get you assists, rebounds, and steals. All important in order to win a game.

Hawkeye15
11-02-2014, 12:54 AM
Rubio is overpaid but everyone knew it was going to happen. Rubio brings in to much money for the timberwolves that they weren't going to let him go. He is a player that fans like to see, he is flashy with the ball and always gives 100%.

Rubio has a lot to improve on, but how anyone can say he is a scrub and they wouldn't trade a back up pg for him is unbelievably stupid. This is a guy that can get you assists, rebounds, and steals. All important in order to win a game.

the first paragraph, I don't care about. I don't care for one nanosecond if he makes the team money, even if I understand the business side of it.

I am not calling him a scrub. He isn't. But he is not worth anywhere near his upcoming salary, at all. He is a below average starting PG, and a liability late in games. I would rather have let him walk than pay him that money, but I don't own the Wolves and get to see the accounting ledger.

Hawkeye15
11-02-2014, 12:55 AM
In a video game scenario, production based, Rubio should be getting a 4 year, $28 million contract.

Sota4Ever
11-02-2014, 01:01 AM
the first paragraph, I don't care about. I don't care for one nanosecond if he makes the team money, even if I understand the business side of it.

I am not calling him a scrub. He isn't. But he is not worth anywhere near his upcoming salary, at all. He is a below average starting PG, and a liability late in games. I would rather have let him walk than pay him that money, but I don't own the Wolves and get to see the accounting ledger.

I was commenting to the above posters who said they wouldn't trade Chalmers for Rubio straight up and that Rubio is a complete scrub.

No player in the nba is worth what their current contract is giving them. It is just how the nba and the CBA are. Is Klay thompson worth his, Alec burks, kemba walker?

I have said from the beginning that I would take Rubio over Love 10/10 times and I still stand by that statement to this date. I would rather have Rubio on this contract than Love at a max deal on the Timberwolves.

Hawkeye15
11-02-2014, 01:21 AM
I was commenting to the above posters who said they wouldn't trade Chalmers for Rubio straight up and that Rubio is a complete scrub.

No player in the nba is worth what their current contract is giving them. It is just how the nba and the CBA are. Is Klay thompson worth his, Alec burks, kemba walker?

I have said from the beginning that I would take Rubio over Love 10/10 times and I still stand by that statement to this date. I would rather have Rubio on this contract than Love at a max deal on the Timberwolves.

Steph Curry is absolutely worth his extension...

I would take Love 10/10 times over Rubio everyday of the week. Rubio will be getting 13.75 million per year. Do you realize that? To be beat up by Hinrich/Brooks tonight. Do you realize how butt reaming average he is on his best day?

Sota4Ever
11-02-2014, 01:34 AM
Steph Curry is absolutely worth his extension...

I would take Love 10/10 times over Rubio everyday of the week. Rubio will be getting 13.75 million per year. Do you realize that? To be beat up by Hinrich/Brooks tonight. Do you realize how butt reaming average he is on his best day?

Does Steph Curry think he is worth that deal or does he think he is worth more?

Of course you would take Love over Rubio any day of the week. There isn't a bigger Love fan than you. Do you realize that Love is only a third option getting paid a max deal. Love will never be and can never be better then a third option on a good team. Do players really want to play with Love over Rubio?

Hawkeye15
11-02-2014, 01:59 AM
Does Steph Curry think he is worth that deal or does he think he is worth more?

Of course you would take Love over Rubio any day of the week. There isn't a bigger Love fan than you. Do you realize that Love is only a third option getting paid a max deal. Love will never be and can never be better then a third option on a good team. Do players really want to play with Love over Rubio?

I don't care what Steph thinks he is worth, his deal is ****.

I am not the biggest Love fan haha, cmon. Do you realize Love is a legit star player?

I am not arguing Love anymore, he isn't on our team. I will say this, Rubio is below average, period. If you would rather have him on for $14 million a year, versus paying an extra $3-4 million for Love, you need to get to work on understanding basketball..

Sota4Ever
11-02-2014, 02:05 AM
I don't care what Steph thinks he is worth, his deal is ****.

I am not the biggest Love fan haha, cmon. Do you realize Love is a legit star player?

I am not arguing Love anymore, he isn't on our team. I will say this, Rubio is below average, period. If you would rather have him on for $14 million a year, versus paying an extra $3-4 million for Love, you need to get to work on understanding basketball..

If you aren't loves biggest fan, then you are definitely second in command with running the love fan club.

You say Rubio is below average and I say Love is a third option getting paid a max deal that no one is begging to play with. I must not understand basketball to see what Love can offer a team like the wolves vs what Rubio can offer a team like the wolves…

koreancabbage
11-02-2014, 02:33 AM
If you aren't loves biggest fan, then you are definitely second in command with running the love fan club.

You say Rubio is below average and I say Love is a third option getting paid a max deal that no one is begging to play with. I must not understand basketball to see what Love can offer a team like the wolves vs what Rubio can offer a team like the wolves…

I think we can all agree.

goingfor28
11-02-2014, 02:36 AM
Lol

Hawkeye15
11-02-2014, 02:40 AM

Love versus Rubio? Really? That is your argument?

I feel no need to continue this. Love takes a shat on Rubio, in every way humanly possible.

SF8
11-02-2014, 02:40 AM
Rubio with a grand total of 6 pt today....and his stellar defense got him fouled out in the game's important moments lmao. 17 assists though....

This is the biggest overpay in the NBA this season. Rubio can't score to save his life and can't shoot either.

Best case scenario for Rubio is to be a poor man's Rondo. Right now he's not much better than Kendall Marshall, another guy who racked up them assists when he got minutes.

sf-fanatic
11-02-2014, 04:08 AM
Love versus Rubio? Really? That is your argument?

I feel no need to continue this. Love takes a shat on Rubio, in every way humanly possible.

:laugh2:

Is this a serious debate ?

ewing
11-02-2014, 07:50 AM

I prefer Isiah Thomas, Jarett Jack, and Mo Williams off the top of my head.

ewing
11-02-2014, 07:52 AM

This thread just got real stupid

beasted86
11-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Saying all the stuff in the world that makes Rubio a good player won't change your opinion. You can't go from saying Rubio is a scrub and you wouldn't even trade a backup pg for him, to me saying good things about him to change your opinion. It just won't happen. Does having 17 assists in a game impress you? It probably won't because he doesn't score enough. Does getting 2 steals a game impress you? Probably not because those aren't points.

See, that's the thing though. I don't think he's a good player at all.

I agree with Hawkeye, and we rarely see eye to eye. Rubio is clearly a below average starting PG. He doesn't even start on his national team, and he didn't start in Euroleague. I think it's laughable for you to compare the impact of a top 4 PF to a PG who clearly has at minimum 20 better starting PGs ahead of him, and quite a few other starters and backups on equal tier.

Just out of curiosity, where do you rank Rubio among PGs right now? Top 5? Top 10? Top 15? If it's any of these 3, I'd really love to know who else makes these lists.

Vampirate
11-02-2014, 09:44 AM
So the Wolves think Rubio is a better player than Lowry?

beasted86
11-02-2014, 09:47 AM
So just because the guy doesn't have a high ppg or shoots well from the field he is not a starting pg? No matter how many rebounds, assists, or steals he gets.
He isn't even top 3 in any of these categories. He would have to be the best in each of these categories to make up for how deficient he is scoring, and how thoroughly average he is defensively.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 10:58 AM

LOL, how is the "average" between Deron and Hill? What is that? Do you even understand how taking an average works?

An average point guard would be Nelson, Rubio, Jack etc.

Below average are guys like Chalmers.

Cal827
11-02-2014, 11:11 AM

I hate Love too, but I don't think I've actually read something as good at this one :laugh2:

I'll just say, I commend you dedication to the T'wolves Sota

Goose17
11-02-2014, 12:08 PM
worst contract ever. i would give him 20$ to never play for my team. that's about it. dude isn't a 1 million dollar PG and hes not even gonna gets assists with Klove gone. hes Sebastian Telfair with worse offensive skills.

i would take Chalmers ALL day.. Rubio has no upside.. like legit none. he gets steals? but hes not really a great defender. offensively hes the worst shooter in basketball history (thats a fact look it up) cant hit a layup. just a flashy passer who wont even get many assists with Love gone.. hes useless man.

:laugh:

Just dropped 17 dimes on Chicago.

nycericanguy
11-02-2014, 12:08 PM
So the Wolves think Rubio is a better player than Lowry?

And the Raps think Fields is a better player than Markieff Morris?

Kinda silly way of looking at contracts, things have obviously changed a lot in the last month with the new TV deal.

that being said, I'm not as down on this deal as most, Rubio is a special talent, I think he can be a 13/11/6/3 type PG with very good defense.

Sota4Ever
11-02-2014, 01:19 PM

Good thing we were playing the worst defensive team in the league and had kevin love for one night or else Rubio would have put up probably 3 assists.

Vampirate
11-02-2014, 01:48 PM

Kinda silly way of looking at contracts, things have obviously changed a lot in the last month with the new TV deal.

that being said, I'm not as down on this deal as most, Rubio is a special talent, I think he can be a 13/11/6/3 type PG with very good defense.

A few differences.

1. The man who signed Fields B.C. was doing it as a power play to get Nash, it backfired (though right now worked out even though Fields barely sees any minutes). The Raptors never saw fields as a part of their future. Colangelo is gone now.

2. The Timberwolves clearly see Rubio as a part of their future and overpaid R.R. way more than they should have.

alexander_37
11-02-2014, 02:53 PM

Different GM....

beasted86
11-02-2014, 03:51 PM
LOL, how is the "average" between Deron and Hill? What is that? Do you even understand how taking an average works?

An average point guard would be Nelson, Rubio, Jack etc.

Below average are guys like Chalmers.
Average should be the median among starters. Your average seems to be out of all 80 or whatever PGs are in the NBA... I'm clearly talking about starters. Jack and Nelson arguably aren't even in the top 30 PGs including backups.

Chalmers is probably around 38th to 45th out of the 80 or so PGs in the league, so he's the median out of all. But Rubio is clearly going to be paid among the top 5% of PGs... who cares how he grades among backups, he's way below average among starters.

beasted86
11-02-2014, 04:20 PM

He "can be" a guy who goes on to have career highs in every single category? Are you being realistic?

I can take any player and suggest they have career highs in not one, but all of their existing stats and make them look good.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Average should be the median among starters. Your average seems to be out of all 80 or whatever PGs are in the NBA... I'm clearly talking about starters. Jack and Nelson arguably aren't even in the top 30 PGs including backups.

Chalmers is probably around 38th to 45th out of the 80 or so PGs in the league, so he's the median out of all. But Rubio is clearly going to be paid among the top 5% of PGs... who cares how he grades among backups, he's way below average among starters.

You never said you were talking about starters. You just said average. And the average would take into account ALL point guards in the league.

Nick O
11-02-2014, 04:45 PM
this may be the worst contract,,,, i have ever seen. like.. ever... in any sport

Nick O
11-02-2014, 04:46 PM

6 points and he fouled on. still the worst shooter in nba history ( not even exaggerating.. thats a fact)

Nick O
11-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Did someone really say theyd take him over Love???? .. i dont even.......

Goose17
11-02-2014, 04:53 PM
6 points and he fouled on. still the worst shooter in nba history ( not even exaggerating.. thats a fact)

It's still funny though that you said that. And were completely wrong. (Not even exaggerating... that's a fact).

There's more to basketball than shooting.

But out of interest can you provide evidence of this fact?

Goose17
11-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Anyone that can drop 17 assists against Chicago is NOT a below average point guard.

Below average scorer or shooter, certainly, without a doubt. But that's not the same thing.

beasted86
11-02-2014, 04:58 PM
You never said you were talking about starters. You just said average. And the average would take into account ALL point guards in the league.

My bad, I didn't realize we were maxing out guys because they are better than backups.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 05:35 PM
My bad, I didn't realize we were maxing out guys because they are better than backups.

I'm not debating he's overpaid. I'm debating the hate that some people on here have for him, being overpaid doesn't make you a bad player.

Salary aside, how do you rate him?

I don't see how someone could take Chalmers over Rubio... lmfao.

beasted86
11-02-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm not debating he's overpaid. I'm debating the hate that some people on here have for him, being overpaid doesn't make you a bad player.

Salary aside, how do you rate him?

I don't see how someone could take Chalmers over Rubio... lmfao.
Well I do.

Chalmers can shoot and play off the ball. Rubio can't. Chalmers' play style fits on basically any bench on the entire league... Rubio's doesn't.

I don't get what there is not to get about this simple concept if you watch basketball and have the most basic of analytical skills. Without the ball on his hands, Rubio is worthless. He's no better defensively than Chalmers. Both are just average man to man defenders that get steals. Both pick up more fouls than necessary due to their reaching in style of defense and aren't who you want defending the opponents star PG to end a game. Offensively Chalmers is more consistent (I'm laughing out loud as I type this because I didn't think there was anyone Chalmers could be more consistent than).

Salary aside, I already stated he is somewhere among the 25th overall range among PGs.

beasted86
11-02-2014, 05:53 PM
I don't even like Rondo for the HEAT, and I'm supposed to like Rubio who is worse at basically every single category + defense, except FTs?

I simply don't like these one dimensional players. Personally, I don't want Rubio, Rondo, and I'll even lump Calderon in that group. I don't like that style of PG who needs the ball to be effective yet isn't a real threat to score most games.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Well I do.

Chalmers can shoot and play off the ball. Rubio can't. Chalmers' play style fits on basically any bench on the entire league... Rubio's doesn't.

I don't get what there is not to get about this simple concept if you watch basketball and have the most basic of analytical skills. Without the ball on his hands, Rubio is worthless. He's no better defensively than Chalmers. Both are just average man to man defenders that get steals. Both pick up more fouls than necessary due to their reaching in style of defense and aren't who you want defending the opponents star PG to end a game. Offensively Chalmers is more consistent (I'm laughing out loud as I type this because I didn't think there was anyone Chalmers could be more consistent than).

Salary aside, I already stated he is somewhere among the 25th overall range among PGs.

Well being that you're a Miami fan I'll put it down to homerism because Chalmers is absolute garbage and he proved that in the playoffs. I wouldn't even want him as a backup to my backup at this point. Maybe playing him at the SG will help but that remains to be seen and he's not the better point guard by any stretch.

And since when did playing off the ball make you the better player? Is Chalmers better than Harden as well because Harden is so ball dominant?

There's more in this game than scoring, and Rubio is MUCH better defensively than Chalmers (not saying Rubio is elite but he's way better than Mario). And he's clearly the better play maker.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Rubio aged 16/17 > Chalmers right now.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 05:55 PM
I don't even like Rondo for the HEAT, and I'm supposed to like Rubio who is worse at basically every single category + defense, except FTs?

LOL... wait you think Chalmers is better than Rondo?

I'm done.

Clearly all you know about basketball is "durrrr... lets score some points! durr"

Get a grip, there's more to basketball than scoring and shooting.

Nick O
11-02-2014, 06:01 PM
It's still funny though that you said that. And were completely wrong. (Not even exaggerating... that's a fact).

he has the lowest fg% in nba history atm for 1000+ shots. the onle ones close to him were pure 3 point shooters

beasted86
11-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Well being that you're a Miami fan I'll put it down to homerism because Chalmers is absolute garbage and he proved that in the playoffs. I wouldn't even want him as a backup to my backup at this point. Maybe playing him at the SG will help but that remains to be seen and he's not the better point guard by any stretch.

And since when did playing off the ball make you the better player? Is Chalmers better than Harden as well because Harden is so ball dominant?

There's more in this game than scoring, and Rubio is MUCH better defensively than Chalmers (not saying Rubio is elite but he's way better than Mario). And he's clearly the better play maker.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Rubio aged 16/17 > Chalmers right now.

Well you have your opinion, I have mine... but last time I checked Chalmers style PGs have won multiple championships over the last number of years. Him, Fisher, Avery Johnson, Kenny Smith, BJ Armstrong, John Paxson, just off the top of my head.

Non ball dominant guards who can do just enough offensively and can shoot and defend, but more than anything play off the ball and play off of the superstars at other positions.

Rondo won one with the Celtics when he had a much smaller role, but aside from that, the Rondo, Rubio, Mark Jackson types aren't conducive to winning titles.

Nick O
11-02-2014, 06:07 PM
LOL... wait you think Chalmers is better than Rondo?

I'm done.

Clearly all you know about basketball is "durrrr... lets score some points! durr"

Get a grip, there's more to basketball than scoring and shooting.

but he literally can't score.. like. hes a black hole. why would you not leave that man open? you can double team any other Twolve because Rubio won't burn you. he cant even hit layups. he shoots 36% for his career and hes not even a 3 point shooter.. that is just... how? how can you have a guy in the NBA that inept at scoring? sure he has some flashy passes but hes only average 8ast per game for his career.. playing with kevin Love!! his defense is over aggressive and getting steals doesn't mean hes that great. and hes not like Rajon Rondo who cant shoot because Rubio sure as hell cant drive either

slashsnake
11-02-2014, 06:25 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=1971&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=fga&c1comp=gt&c1val=1500&c2stat=fg_pct&c2comp=lt&c2val=38&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws

Game has changed a lot, so there are guys 50+ years ago with lower FG%, so all time, no, all time in comparison to his peers he may very well be...

Of players with at least 1500 shots, the lowest FG% since 1970 belongs to Ricky Rubio.

In 3 years he is already the active leader in seasons shooting under 39% with 3. On pace for his 4th right now to set the record as fast as humanly possible.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=1971&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=fg2_pct&c1comp=lt&c1val=38&c2stat=fga&c2comp=gt&c2val=1500&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws

The only player in the past 45 years of the NBA to shoot under 38% in his career inside the 3pt line with at least 1500 shot attempts

Lowest effective FG% in the NBA of active players with at least 500 shots.... Rubio.

He shoots 80% on free throws... a 15 foot shot. He shot 17% on shots from 10-16 feet last year in games though.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 06:44 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=1971&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=fga&c1comp=gt&c1val=1500&c2stat=fg_pct&c2comp=lt&c2val=38&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws

Game has changed a lot, so there are guys 50+ years ago with lower FG%...

But of players with at least 1500 shots, the lowest FG% since 1970 belongs to Ricky Rubio.

Appreciate the link. Cheers.

slashsnake
11-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Appreciate the link. Cheers.

No prob. I think he's a heck of a playmaker and I like him... Figure with his international draw, and the fact that Minny isn't exactly a hotbed for NBA players to flock to in winter, where they need to save that cap space for the next superstar... well, I would have offered him that deal easy if I was their GM..

but thus far in his career you really could make an argument he's the worst shooter the league has ever seen.

Nick O
11-02-2014, 08:01 PM
No prob. I think he's a heck of a playmaker and I like him... Figure with his international draw, and the fact that Minny isn't exactly a hotbed for NBA players to flock to in winter, where they need to save that cap space for the next superstar... well, I would have offered him that deal easy if I was their GM..

but thus far in his career you really could make an argument he's the worst shooter the league has ever seen.

cant even hit lay ups

Oefarmy2005
11-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Also, I am not saying Rubio will be anywhere as great as Kidd was, but just to put it into perspective - 1st three years from both players:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=kiddja01&y1=1997&p2=rubiori01&y2=2014

And I am not defending Rubio's scoring(or lack there of), he is horrible and has horrible shooting percentage, or him being WAY overpaid right now, but that doesn't mean that he will continue to be a historically bad shooter or will not improve.