PDA

View Full Version : Klay Thompson extension with Warriors

Ezio
10-31-2014, 05:15 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 2m2 minutes ago
Klay gets four year $70m deal with warriors , source said

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 6m6 minutes ago
ESPN sources say Klay Thompson is a done deal with Warriors. Four-year maximum extension just agreed this afternoon

likemystylez
10-31-2014, 05:18 PM
LOl thats insane for a guy who hasnt made an all star team or any all nba teams

goingfor28
10-31-2014, 05:19 PM
Holy overpay

likemystylez
10-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Holy overpay

his agent bill duffy really took advantage of the hype

koreancabbage
10-31-2014, 05:24 PM
Leonard getting the same most likely.

These guys getting maximum contracts when they aren't even the best players/ popular players in the league.

WTF has this league come to.

IBleedPurple
10-31-2014, 05:24 PM
Ouch

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-31-2014, 05:28 PM
4/70 for a guy who has never doesn't even have a league average PER for his career and has never had a season with a league average PER. I know it's silly to make PER an end all, be all stat, but still that's pretty atrocious.

And also...

lol, please
10-31-2014, 05:29 PM
:drool:

likemystylez
10-31-2014, 05:30 PM
4/70 for a guy who has never doesn't even have a league average PER for his career and has never had a season with a league average PER. I know it's silly to make PER an end all, be all stat, but still that's pretty atrocious.

its amazing that hype can overshadow all actual data from what a player does on the floor...that being said, im expecting klay to have a really good year this season- but This could look really bad for the warriors if he doesnt get A TON BETTER than he has been until now

Vinny642
10-31-2014, 05:31 PM
That is a lot of cash

likemystylez
10-31-2014, 05:32 PM
its crazy, most warriors fans are so bought into the whole splash brothers capaigne they they actually think klay is like this secret that the rest of the league doesnt know about. LOL- if you listen to them- they talk like klay is up there with lebron and durant... but coaches dont know and thats why he hasnt made any all star teams or been on any all nba teams.

Hawkeye15
10-31-2014, 05:34 PM
GM's must just be banking on the cap going way up, and these deals not being hamstringers.

Overpaid for sure under current CBA limits.

Green_Monster
10-31-2014, 05:34 PM
Wow, that's a big overpay.

DaBUU
10-31-2014, 05:35 PM
Hopefully Jimmy's agent hasn't seen this yet

SeoulBeatz
10-31-2014, 05:42 PM
I like Klay Thompson's game, but man... these contracts are getting out of hand.

You can't just give every above average player a max contract (which seems to be the case nowadays).

The best of the best should get the max. Players like Klay who are a couple steps below stardom need to be paid accordingly.

tredigs
10-31-2014, 05:43 PM
GM's must just be banking on the cap going way up, and these deals not being hamstringers.

Overpaid for sure under current CBA limits.

That's what seems to be the case.

But really, is there any way to keep Klay without paying him his max? They already shut down a deal for Kevin Love for him, might as well pay him the check that you know some other team would.

SeoulBeatz
10-31-2014, 05:43 PM
Leonard getting the same most likely.

These guys getting maximum contracts when they aren't even the best players/ popular players in the league.

WTF has this league come to.

Kawhi is much more deserving than Thompson though. His skillset is much harder to come by and the kid was Finals MVP at 22 y/o.

but i agree, somethings gotta change with the way these max contracts are being shelled out like nothing.

NoahH
10-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Thompson got PAID. What's he making, 26 mill more than CUR-dog? Ridiculous.

Of course Curry is gonna get the coveted 5 year 118$ mill contract once this one is up.

In all honesty tho with the salary cap increasing next year this contract isnt TERRIBLE.

tredigs
10-31-2014, 05:49 PM

And also...

kawakami doesn't really know what he's talking about here. While it creates a situation where they're a bit less likely than before to retain Draymond, it's far from a situation where they would have to dump one of those two contracts. They just have to be willing to pay the tax for a season, and if they're contending I have a strong feeling they would. It's not the 2000's ownership group.

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-31-2014, 05:50 PM
I don't find it ridiculous at all. The guy gets better every year and is a scoring machine. By next year the contract will look good.

GiantsSwaGG
10-31-2014, 05:54 PM
Breaking News: Jimmy Butler, Kawi Lenard as well as their agents were seen licking their lips after hearing about Thompson extension!

tredigs
10-31-2014, 05:58 PM
All in all, as a fan I'll take the perceived overpay (which really, is not an overpay. It's what he would get in free agency and as a restricted free agent another squad could have structured the deal to **** over the Warriors. Ala Parsons situation for Houston) over a situation where they lose him to free agency or at the least drag out the distraction throughout the season. I'm thrilled to have the Splash Bro's locked up through 2017.

CodeRed
10-31-2014, 06:00 PM
That's crazy money for a non-star. He's a support player, not someone that can carry a team. Great player, don't get me wrong, just not worth that kind of money for what he does IMO.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-31-2014, 06:06 PM
holy hell

Tony_Starks
10-31-2014, 06:06 PM
It's only a max deal for now. After the new CBA max contracts are going to shoot way up and this will look like a bargain.

Good job for the Dubs, got the best back court in the game locked up for years.

Tony_Starks
10-31-2014, 06:10 PM
Kawhi is much more deserving than Thompson though. His skillset is much harder to come by and the kid was Finals MVP at 22 y/o.

but i agree, somethings gotta change with the way these max contracts are being shelled out like nothing.

According to reports Spurs are just going to wait it out and let Kawhi be a restricted FA....

Same with Bulls and Jimmy Butler.

xnick5757
10-31-2014, 06:11 PM
if they were going to throw around this much money why didn't they trade him for Love?

At least Love is (at absolute worst) a top 15 player in the league

SPURSFAN1
10-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Hopefully Jimmy's agent hasn't seen this yet

He won't get it though.

SPURSFAN1
10-31-2014, 06:24 PM
They just sacrificed their flexibility. :laugh: When we revisit what the warriors did wrong, we will look back and agree this started it.

LanceUpperCut
10-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Wow that's crazy.

SF8
10-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Suns gave Eric Bledsoe $70 million for 5 years, and the Warriors gave Thompson the same money but for just 4 years?

WTF, why didn't the Warriors try to at least get another year out of it like the Suns did?

SF8
10-31-2014, 06:27 PM
He won't get it though.
But Leonard will.

IKnowHoops
10-31-2014, 06:32 PM
Thought this was a forgone conclusion. Good for Klay. Your worth what people are willing to pay you. Leonard will definitely get a max.

koreancabbage
10-31-2014, 06:33 PM
According to reports Spurs are just going to wait it out and let Kawhi be a restricted FA....

Same with Bulls and Jimmy Butler.

exactly. This is what i don't get. Why would you jump start the gun and wait it out. If you know you're going to be paying the maximum, just wait the **** out until they are restricted and let the market decide. If someone else is willing to pay out max for these guys, you will do it anyways, or just wait it out and if NOONE is willing to pay them the maximum, well the risk is that they take the qualifying offer and become unrestricted (thats the flip side to it) - but no way they take QO anymore nowadays (riskier for the player). They all want to get paid ASAP.

jericho
10-31-2014, 06:34 PM
Well it seem like we gonna have another lockout when the cba expires. Sometimes it makes me wonder if i could be a better GM. I want to sit down in the GM chair and give millions away while making millions myself.

SF8
10-31-2014, 06:45 PM
exactly. This is what i don't get. Why would you jump start the gun and wait it out. If you know you're going to be paying the maximum, just wait the **** out until they are restricted and let the market decide. If someone else is willing to pay out max for these guys, you will do it anyways, or just wait it out and if NOONE is willing to pay them the maximum, well the risk is that they take the qualifying offer and become unrestricted (thats the flip side to it) - but no way they take QO anymore nowadays (riskier for the player). They all want to get paid ASAP.

Greg Monroe and Eric Bledsoe were both willing to take the QO this season.

Tony_Starks
10-31-2014, 06:46 PM

But the thing is you KNOW someone will offer Klay the max ( like the Lakers where his Dad wants him to play for example). Kawhi might get a max offer might not, and I seriously doubt Butler gets one.

So if you're the Warriors yeah you can wait but you're just dragging out the inevitable. Plus you're risking upsetting the chemistry of a young team on the serious upswing.

P&GRealist
10-31-2014, 06:49 PM
10 Laker fans just killed themselves.

Tony_Starks
10-31-2014, 06:51 PM
10 Laker fans just killed themselves.

Including Michael Thompson! Lol

Vinylman
10-31-2014, 06:57 PM
Greg Monroe and Eric Bledsoe were both willing to take the QO this season.

apples and oranges...

in the first place bledsoe didn't (pure negotiating)

Monroe DID because he didn't want to sign elsewhere and have Detroit match it... he wants nothing to do with detroit

Waiting is the only intelligent thing to do in these situations if you are the team...

these contracts are guaranteed and one injury can screw a franchise for a LONG time

SF8
10-31-2014, 07:07 PM
apples and oranges...

in the first place bledsoe didn't (pure negotiating)

Monroe DID because he didn't want to sign elsewhere and have Detroit match it... he wants nothing to do with detroit

Waiting is the only intelligent thing to do in these situations if you are the team...

these contracts are guaranteed and one injury can screw a franchise for a LONG time
Its called good faith. I don't think neither the Bulls or Spurs want one of their key players thinking about his next contract and maybe playing for his stats instead of wins. Especially the Spurs have such a limited window for contention.

likemystylez
10-31-2014, 07:15 PM
That's crazy money for a non-star. He's a support player, not someone that can carry a team. Great player, don't get me wrong, just not worth that kind of money for what he does IMO.

great players are in the hall of fame- 17 million a yr should be reserved for guys that are fixtures in the all star game

astonmartin10
10-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Wow he got paid.

koreancabbage
10-31-2014, 07:33 PM
But the thing is you KNOW someone will offer Klay the max ( like the Lakers where his Dad wants him to play for example). Kawhi might get a max offer might not, and I seriously doubt Butler gets one.

So if you're the Warriors yeah you can wait but you're just dragging out the inevitable. Plus you're risking upsetting the chemistry of a young team on the serious upswing.

Now you're just hoping the Warriors can count on these two players (curry and thompson) to take the Warriors to the next level.

I can understand, from the player's perspective that they should get paid now (injuries, trades etc) but if they waited a little longer (risky) for the new CBA and larger salary caps to hit, maximum they are getting now is probably much less than they would get in the new NBA cap lol.

I think Klay is gonna deserve it anyways - i think he has all star potential in the new era of SGs.

Vinylman
10-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Its called good faith. I don't think neither the Bulls or Spurs want one of their key players thinking about his next contract and maybe playing for his stats instead of wins. Especially the Spurs have such a limited window for contention.

Leonard and Butler are definitely the kind of guys who will stuff stats

SMFH

TrueFan420
10-31-2014, 07:44 PM
That cap number better be going up a lot like it's rumored to be cause that's way too much under the current deal.

THE MTL
10-31-2014, 07:56 PM
That cap number better be going up a lot like it's rumored to be cause that's way too much under the current deal.

Thats too much under the new deal too. The cap is projected to go up like 15 million right. Klay isnt worth 18 mil per year to have NEVER made an allstar game and who is a THIRD option at best on a true contender. This is getting out of hand. Another lockout could be on the way

BALLER R
10-31-2014, 08:12 PM
Leonard will get max for sure then. He's accomplished more than Klay.

likemystylez
10-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Leonard will get max for sure then. He's accomplished more than Klay.

spurs dont let that type of thing effect whether they spend or not- LOL pop could pull a guy out of the stands and have him replace leonard in the rotation and we wouldnt notice

beasted86
10-31-2014, 08:24 PM
It's an overpay, but they had to do it after withholding him from the Love talks, and also after guys like Parsons and Hayward screwing up the market. Hayward especially has basically set the barometer of a mediocre player on a perennial loser being a max.

nastynice
10-31-2014, 08:39 PM
wow, I wanted to get klay signed long term, but damn, that's way too much. Gonna end up crippling the team, can't afford others if we're gonna pay above avg players like super stars

FlashBolt
10-31-2014, 09:20 PM
This is just a joke. He's getting paid LeBron/KD/CP3/Carmelo type numbers.. I mean, seriously. Klay isn't even a top 20 player but he's being paid like a top 5 player. Klay is REPLACEABLE. Steph Curry should get this type of contract... Goddamn, this is just a bad sign for NBA. These players are demanding whatever they want and they're getting it. NBA execs need to do a better job and deny them of their contract. If you don't like what you're getting paid, go to China and play.

SF8
10-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Leonard and Butler are definitely the kind of guys who will stuff stats

SMFH

When they realize that money is on the line...I'm sure you've heard the saying "People do crazy things for money".

GunFactor187
10-31-2014, 09:36 PM
This makes Jodie Meeks' deal look like a minimum contract. Lmao.

Corey
10-31-2014, 10:33 PM
Cap is going up. Its fine.

ricky recon
10-31-2014, 10:40 PM
This is a matter of the cap and max being too low. If everyone gets overpaid it isn't overpaid.

abe_froman
11-01-2014, 12:43 AM
i think most of you are failing to grasp that the cap is about to go way up...i guess there's no sense saying it,but your opinion will change in a few years when these numbers are standard for a player like him

Goose17
11-01-2014, 08:16 AM
A little more than what Hayward is earning. The market sets the precedent, best believe if the Warriors management didn't give him this money someone would have.

With the new TV deal and the cap going up, this will be average, hell maybe even below average for a player of this caliber.

On top of all that if they had let him go who could they have gotten for cheaper that plays the 2 spot as well as he does?

Smart move by the Dubs. I like it. For years fans have complained about owners and management not willing to spend to win, then when they do people freak out.

The best back court in the league is sticking together, and that's all that matters right now.

Goose17
11-01-2014, 08:18 AM

And also...

Not really true, they could S&T Speights and Barnes as a salary dump for rookie deals and/or draft picks or they could just not extend them which would clear at least 7 million for signing Green.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Lee.

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 10:12 AM
A little more than what Hayward is earning. The market sets the precedent, best believe if the Warriors management didn't give him this money someone would have.

With the new TV deal and the cap going up, this will be average, hell maybe even below average for a player of this caliber.

On top of all that if they had let him go who could they have gotten for cheaper that plays the 2 spot as well as he does?

Smart move by the Dubs. I like it. For years fans have complained about owners and management not willing to spend to win, then when they do people freak out.

The best back court in the league is sticking together, and that's all that matters right now.

spending 17.5 million/ yr on a guy like klay is not the same thing as spending money to win.

If your gonna spend that kinda money on a non all star, non nba first or second team player and a guy whop has never even produced at a league average PER.... im not sure thats spending to win.

Id rather spend 2 million more and get lebron james or 1.5 million more and get a kevin durant. I like klay, and I expect him to improve- but he has a loooooong way to go to live up to that deal.

also- I keep hearing that he is playing in a league with very very few good off guards, and he is one of them. - so despite there only being 3 or 4 good off guards in the league- HE STILL HAS NEVER MADE AN ALL STAR GAME- and hes never really been considered a strong candidate. The coaches pick the reserves- so western conference coaches have found better offguards to fill out the all star team and have passed on this guy 3 straight times!- LOL- the argument for a max contract isnt that solid to people who arent warrior homers. his actual production on the court isnt THAT great.

now comparing him to 2 horrible contracts in hayward and parsons is kind of weak- id rather compare him to what I want in a max player like a lebron or durant

Goose17
11-01-2014, 11:26 AM
spending 17.5 million/ yr on a guy like klay is not the same thing as spending money to win.

Yes it is.

now comparing him to 2 horrible contracts in hayward and parsons is kind of weak- id rather compare him to what I want in a max player like a lebron or durant

It doesn't matter who you would rather compare him too. You look at what players of a similar caliber have received recently and that's how you dictate a players worth. That's how the market works, you don't have to like it but that's the truth.

A max player doesn't mean once in a life time talent like Durant or Lebron, and it hasn't meant that for a very long time. The sooner people accept this the better.

HE STILL HAS NEVER MADE AN ALL STAR GAME

Point guard depth (you vote for guards not PGs and SGs). Popularity. He didn't score much. On top of that he wasn't as good then as he is now and let's face it, it's fan voting, fans are stupid. And you're paying for the player he will become within those four years, same reason Hayward got that deal.

Why has Lee never been an all star during his tenure with the Warriors up until 2013? Why had Steph never been an all star up until recently? Why has Iguodala only been an all star the once? Why did Iguodala never make the all-defense first team until this year?

Since when did making the all star game justify your wage? The all star game has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with popularity. Kobe made the all star game while he was injured for the entire season. That's a terrible argument you have there, sorry, but it is.

Jalen Rose, Sabonis, Ron Harper, Odom, Strickland, plenty of great players never made an all star game in their entire career.

Dragic, Conley, Jefferson, Ibaka, Monta, even from today there's high caliber player who get overlooked. Especially in a western conference with so much depth.

lol, please
11-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Warriors have proven they will pay to win, that's why DLEE got that yayper

D-Leethal
11-01-2014, 03:22 PM
I agree with Goose. Market dictates your value and Klay is worth that money based on the current market.

nastynice
11-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Yes it is.

It doesn't matter who you would rather compare him too. You look at what players of a similar caliber have received recently and that's how you dictate a players worth. That's how the market works, you don't have to like it but that's the truth.

A max player doesn't mean once in a life time talent like Durant or Lebron, and it hasn't meant that for a very long time. The sooner people accept this the better.

great point actually. I'm not necessarily happy with the contract he got, but its either pay him that or lose him, because the market has already shown us that SOMEBODY will pay him that. Now if we had a plan b which we felt comfortable with, another 2 guard whom we knew we could get at a cheaper price and get similar production, then I'm sure we'd a went with that. But since nothing like that was available, since the options were either pay this much or have a giant hole at that position, I guess it makes sense to pay that contract. Still not a huge fan of it, but it is what it is. Curry's next contract is gonna be HUGE

RBI 14
11-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Should have signed for 6 years

curtcocaine
11-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Id let the bobcats pay him that type of money. Id offer the same kney I gave Curry. Anything more gtfoh.

Goose17
11-01-2014, 03:55 PM
great point actually. I'm not necessarily happy with the contract he got, but its either pay him that or lose him, because the market has already shown us that SOMEBODY will pay him that. Now if we had a plan b which we felt comfortable with, another 2 guard whom we knew we could get at a cheaper price and get similar production, then I'm sure we'd a went with that. But since nothing like that was available, since the options were either pay this much or have a giant hole at that position, I guess it makes sense to pay that contract. Still not a huge fan of it, but it is what it is. Curry's next contract is gonna be HUGE

With the changing in the cap coming soon I can't wait to see what insane amount of money Steph makes.

sf-fanatic
11-01-2014, 06:05 PM
This is just a joke. He's getting paid LeBron/KD/CP3/Carmelo type numbers.. I mean, seriously. Klay isn't even a top 20 player but he's being paid like a top 5 player. Klay is REPLACEABLE. Steph Curry should get this type of contract... Goddamn, this is just a bad sign for NBA. These players are demanding whatever they want and they're getting it. NBA execs need to do a better job and deny them of their contract. If you don't like what you're getting paid, go to China and play.

I'm not sure if some people understand the value of a "max contract" based on the replies here, which is based on the player's years in the league, cap number, or previous contract (an exception to the rule). Those players you named don't have the same value in a max contract than Klay and make an avg of more than $5 mil a year based on their max contract per year. For example, Klays 2014-2015 number is about $14.7 mil and that doesn't even put him in the top 25 highest paid players in the league for that year. Those players all make above 20 mil with the exception of Durant, who didn't take a max contract and gave the team a discount if I recall correctly.

SF8
11-01-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure why he got more than Curry.

Allphakenny1
11-01-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure why he got more than Curry.

Because Curry is vastly under paid. In fact, Curry is the lowest paid player in the starting 5. Without looking up the numbers I think Bogut gets 14 mil, Lee 15 mil, Iggy 12 mil, Thompson 17.5 mil, and Curry 11 mil.

Don't worry, Curry will get his very soon.

Goose17
11-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Because Curry is vastly under paid. In fact, Curry is the lowest paid player in the starting 5. Without looking up the numbers I think Bogut gets 14 mil, Lee 15 mil, Iggy 12 mil, Thompson 17.5 mil, and Curry 11 mil.

Technically Barnes is starting now so he would be the lowest paid.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 07:36 PM
14 mill a year aint so bad for a guy who will be a top 3-5 sg

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 07:39 PM
oh wait its 4 years.. 17.5 million for Klay friggen thompson :speechless: thats insane

reminds me of rudy gays contract. Not as bad, but almost.

SF8
11-01-2014, 07:40 PM

How long does Bogut and Lee's contract go out?

I think once Curry gets paid, him, Thompson and Igoudala will eat up a lot of cap space. They have room for 1 more max contract guy, that's it. They will need money to upgrade their front court.

lol, please
11-01-2014, 07:41 PM
With the changing in the cap coming soon I can't wait to see what insane amount of money Steph makes.
I can, I am in no rush to see the day when we actually have to pay him what he may be worth, we drafted him, of course he isn't earning beucoup bucks yet, he shouldn't be.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 07:48 PM
they should have traded him...

Goose17
11-01-2014, 08:06 PM

LOL why? Break up the best back court in the league... just because?

curtcocaine
11-01-2014, 08:08 PM
My thoughts exactly. Were trying to build a championship contender. Go cripple another teams cap space buy being over paid. And if you were goingbto give him the max why not just match an offer?

Jumba
11-01-2014, 08:20 PM
This makes me love Alec Burks deal so much more

Goose17
11-01-2014, 08:54 PM
My thoughts exactly. Were trying to build a championship contender. Go cripple another teams cap space buy being over paid. And if you were goingbto give him the max why not just match an offer?

And maintaining the best back court in the league doesn't help towards building a contender because...

curtcocaine
11-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Maintaning at a fair price by all means. But if we hit a wall and cant add more talent because we've overpaid for a slightly over average offensive threat . I hope he can live up to the expectations that come with a contract of this magnitude. But fro what I seen its always best to pay players from what youve seen. Klay is the type of player to dissappear for 5/6 game stretches. Max players dont do that.

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 09:14 PM
And maintaining the best back court in the league doesn't help towards building a contender because...

same reason it didnt help them get out of the first round last year (despite getting the match up THEY WANTED!!!)- being the best back court in the league... doesnt mean much when the 2 guard position is garbage right now

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 09:17 PM
This makes me love Alec Burks deal so much more

well its cheaper than klay, but utah put all their marbles in a couple wing players that basically insure they will be bottom feeders in the western conference for the next 3 or 4 yrs.

LOL im not a big fan of rewarding players for failure- kinda doesnt send the right message or create a winning culture

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 09:18 PM
its getting to the point where max contracts are given to any rotation player youd like to keep on your team going forward

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 09:19 PM

well wouldnt trade him for the sake of moving him- but if a proven star player was on the other end of the deal- yeah id look at the trade

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 09:20 PM
I agree with Goose. Market dictates your value and Klay is worth that money based on the current market.

LOL it does but you gotta take average players at your level- not the two most atrocious contracts in the league to try and emulate. LOL people werent signing their 4th string centers to 11 million a year cuz eddie curry got that deal.

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Should have signed for 6 years

I dont think warriors owner joe lacob had enough money to commit to that....

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 09:26 PM
It's an overpay, but they had to do it after withholding him from the Love talks, and also after guys like Parsons and Hayward screwing up the market. Hayward especially has basically set the barometer of a mediocre player on a perennial loser being a max.

thats kind of true- but in hayward, parsons, and bledsoes deal- there was another team trying to take the player away from his current team.... in those situations it is expected for the player to get overpaid. That wasnt the same thing with klay thompson- warriors didnt have a gun to their heads. if they did it next summer when another team made an offer and paid him the max- thatd be me along the same lines. I hope the warriors management is prepared to go into luxury with a team that isnt even a lock to get out of the first round

lol, please
11-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Fully healthy we are a finals team. Not sure where you deduce that we may not make it out of the first round. This isn't 2011.

Goose17
11-01-2014, 09:38 PM
The reason we lost that series was due to the lack of a defensive big man. And even then we were less than a minute away from winning it.

Same broken record Stylez, it's exhausting reading your replies now. Utterly predictable.

Allphakenny1
11-01-2014, 09:52 PM
same reason it didnt help them get out of the first round last year (despite getting the match up THEY WANTED!!!)- being the best back court in the league... doesnt mean much when the 2 guard position is garbage right now

So by your logic if OKC does not win a championship this year then they should not pay Durant or Westbrook because injuries are no excuse for a team not living up to expectations.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 09:58 PM

because his salary will cripple your teams cap space.. Also basketball is not backcourt ball, feel me ?

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Fully healthy we are a finals team. Not sure where you deduce that we may not make it out of the first round. This isn't 2011.

Umm they didnt make it out of the first round last year- and they havent added a lebron james or anything to the core- so its very possible they wont make it out again. I just said that they arent even a lock to get out of the first round

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 10:13 PM
The reason we lost that series was due to the lack of a defensive big man. And even then we were less than a minute away from winning it.

Same broken record Stylez, it's exhausting reading your replies now. Utterly predictable.

Injuries happen from time to time. The good teams find a way not to let injuries ruin their whole season. The 2011 dallas mavs were without their starting small forward caron butler through out the playoffs and they still won the championship.

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 10:15 PM
because his salary will cripple your teams cap space.. Also basketball is not backcourt ball, feel me ?

yeah but the splash bros our trendy for the homer warriors fans. The PR out in the bay area makes it seem like that back court is better than having an MVP

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 10:17 PM
So by your logic if OKC does not win a championship this year then they should not pay Durant or Westbrook because injuries are no excuse for a team not living up to expectations.

not sure I said that..... but if westbrook and durant are still sitting out in the playoffs with these same injuries- I might be hesitent to offer them as much money as possible. ALso- those two have actually proven they can take their team to the finals and even get to a game 7 without their starting center.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 10:22 PM
yeah but the splash bros our trendy for the homer warriors fans. The PR out in the bay area makes it seem like that back court is better than having an MVP

the 2nd best back court in the league is Lowry & Derozan. Lowry took 12 a year and Derozan 10per...

I think Klay Thompson could have given the warriors a much more fair deal if he truly cared about winning. This deal kills the Warriors flexibility...

oh well, you know what they say... if they are dumb enough to give it to you, you deserve every penny. Not like I would turn that deal down lol.

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 10:25 PM
the 2nd best back court in the league is Lowry & Derozan. Lowry took 12 a year and Derozan 10per...

I think Klay Thompson could have given the warriors a much more fair deal if he truly cared about winning. This deal kills the Warriors flexibility...

oh well, you know what they say... if they are dumb enough to give it to you, you deserve every penny. Not like I would turn that deal down lol.

wow warriors could have a 2 guard rotation of derozan and wes mathews for what they are paying klay....

nastynice
11-01-2014, 10:31 PM

what's with this guy stylez? lol

yea, all the credit to LAC no doubt, a win is a win, but knowing how our big man situation was last year int he playoffs, especially against a team like LAC (where it was magnified that much given their skill and talent at those positions), yet still being able to put up a fight like that...definitely got some pretty high expectations this year

nastynice
11-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Injuries happen from time to time. The good teams find a way not to let injuries ruin their whole season. The 2011 dallas mavs were without their starting small forward caron butler through out the playoffs and they still won the championship.

yea, but what was the dropoff between Caron and the guy that replaced him? Bogut not healthy, J Oneal not healthy, had a HUGE impact as you could see Deandre just camped out and grabbing boards at will. I get it that people have to step up, but its also kinda ridiculous to endure such major injuries and still expect the same out of a team. Losing Caron Butler had a slightly different impact than losing Bogut and having a hobbling Oneal

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 11:51 PM
what's with this guy stylez? lol

yea, all the credit to LAC no doubt, a win is a win, but knowing how our big man situation was last year int he playoffs, especially against a team like LAC (where it was magnified that much given their skill and talent at those positions), yet still being able to put up a fight like that...definitely got some pretty high expectations this year

bogut is the player the warriors traded for- what happens if he goes down this year? you have to always expect that bogut sitting out is a very real possability

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 11:55 PM
yea, but what was the dropoff between Caron and the guy that replaced him? Bogut not healthy, J Oneal not healthy, had a HUGE impact as you could see Deandre just camped out and grabbing boards at will. I get it that people have to step up, but its also kinda ridiculous to endure such major injuries and still expect the same out of a team. Losing Caron Butler had a slightly different impact than losing Bogut and having a hobbling Oneal

butler was the second best player on that mavs team through out the season. The drop off was 38 yr old peja stojakovic and corey brewer. butler wasnt like a 10th man or something

SugeKnight
11-02-2014, 03:15 AM
worth every ****in penny

likemystylez
11-02-2014, 10:47 AM
worth every ****in penny

very possible- but i was basing it on what he has done up until now- not what he MIGHT do after signing. He could also get paralyzed in a car accident and never be able to play again (would you say worth every penny then?)

Last night was a good showing, and if he did that in every game over the last 3 yrs- id probably be fine with giving him a max deal.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 10:55 AM
very possible- but i was basing it on what he has done up until now- not what he MIGHT do after signing. He could also get paralyzed in a car accident and never be able to play again (would you say worth every penny then?)

LOL that's the issue, you're not a GM and you don't think like one. You pay youngsters based on what they can become not what they've done so far.

And he could get paralyzed in a car crash? So could Lebron or Durant, so could anyone, should everyone play for free?

You make the most ridiculous comments some times.

tredigs
11-02-2014, 11:05 AM

Last night was a good showing, and if he did that in every game over the last 3 yrs- id probably be fine with giving him a max deal.

Lmao -- what's that, put up 41 on a 93% TS with 1 turnover? Yeah, I'd imagine you'd be fine with that. Unfortunately, that was Kobe and the Lakers. It probably won't happen many times like that again. My projection of LA being the worst defense in NBA history is starting to shape up. That said, he's clearly an improved player; much more aggressive. He got to the line 9+ times in each game. He had never been to the line 9 times once in his career before game 1.

And really, if you're simply paying for what has already occurred as opposed to what you're projecting ahead (both as an individual, for the team, and anticipating the new CBA), you're probably too far behind to see the point of the deal.

BKLYNpigeon
11-02-2014, 11:12 AM
wow warriors could have a 2 guard rotation of derozan and wes mathews for what they are paying klay....

Yes of course, its easy to say I would have have this player because he's cheaper. but there no way of getting those players on your team. Everyone else in the league is probably saying wow we over paid for Bledsoe and Rubio, because Curry only makes 11 a year.

Klays contrat is heafty, no doubt. Having him on the Warriors is better then anything else right now. Theres probably a few better SG's then him right now, probably a bit cheaper, but He fits into this team perfectly. Theres no other SG I would rather pair with Curry.

Salary cap is going up over 10 million next season anyway.

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Warriors fans are delusional. :laugh: finals team if healthy? Klay Thompson would still get ***** slapped by Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard.

BKLYNpigeon
11-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Warriors fans are delusional. :laugh: finals team if healthy? Klay Thompson would still get ***** slapped by Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard.

don't worry, you're Spurs team is a Kawai Leanord Max extension away from keeping that core together.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Danny Green? Pmsl.

nastynice
11-02-2014, 12:08 PM
kickin *** and asking questions later!! I think Klay done read this thread lol!!

nastynice
11-02-2014, 12:09 PM

You don't think the dubs are contenders? How many contenders are there in the West?

Sportfan
11-02-2014, 12:10 PM
I love warriors for 2k. But i can't see them as a championship contender team idk why

nastynice
11-02-2014, 12:12 PM
I love warriors for 2k. But i can't see them as a championship contender team idk why

I'm not gonna say you're wrong, but it all comes down to the matchups in the west. Last year, literally any team, 1-8, from the West coulda made it to the big dance, depending on mathcups and breaks. And really, these games, 2-3 extra breaks go one way, and that's the difference between a W and a L

I see dubs as contenders, but not cuz they're head and shoulders above anyone else, but because they are right there in the thick of it in the West. Which imo, is enough to place them in that category, along with like 8 other teams

likemystylez
11-02-2014, 12:13 PM
You don't think the dubs are contenders? How many contenders are there in the West?

to be fair- they played the lakers and the kings- LOL its good that they got wins... but most nba teams' dance girls could get wins against the kings and lakers.

tonight they play the blazzers in portland. If they manhandle the blazers then the clippers on Wednesday.... then that will give us a real indication they are interesed in being an elite team

nastynice
11-02-2014, 12:15 PM
to be fair- they played the lakers and the kings- LOL its good that they got wins... but most nba teams' dance girls could get wins against the kings and lakers.

tonight they play the blazzers in portland. If they manhandle the blazers then the clippers on Wednesday.... then that will give us a real indication they are interesed in being an elite team

lol, what r u talking about?? Have you not been watching them the past few seasons? What's changed so drastically that you need to evaluate them from square 1 this season?

if that's the case, then EVERYONE'S only played a couple games. Can't say nothing about anyone?

likemystylez
11-02-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm not gonna say you're wrong, but it all comes down to the matchups in the west. Last year, literally any team, 1-8, from the West coulda made it to the big dance, depending on mathcups and breaks. And really, these games, 2-3 extra breaks go one way, and that's the difference between a W and a L

I see dubs as contenders, but not cuz they're head and shoulders above anyone else, but because they are right there in the thick of it in the West. Which imo, is enough to place them in that category, along with like 8 other teams

Thats true- a lot of people forgot... at one point it looked like a 50/50 bet on dallas or the spurs in the first round. Dallas took them to a game 7 and were right with the spurs in every game they lost.

nastynice
11-02-2014, 12:19 PM
interesed in being an elite team

oh, to clarify, I'm not calling the dubs an elite team. I just think, with the landscape the way it is in the West, they are definitely contenders. You don't need to be elite to get out of the West, because the talent level is so high, there's so many other factors that come in to play when you go through that road. The road in the East is much different, you got 3 or so teams head and shoulders above everyone else...

likemystylez
11-02-2014, 12:20 PM
lol, what r u talking about?? Have you not been watching them the past few seasons? What's changed so drastically that you need to evaluate them from square 1 this season?

if that's the case, then EVERYONE'S only played a couple games. Can't say nothing about anyone?

they were a first round exit squad last season, they constantly under performed at home to inferior teams. They literally gave away like 8-10 games that were basically free ones (lakers, knicks, cavs, bobcats, twolves etc.)

nastynice- its not that I dont think they have the talent. Im sold that the warriors have the talent to beat any team in the league. The effort and the desire up and down the roster is in question. For instance right now- david lee is milking a minor injury, at the end of 11-12- curry basically sat out with a minor ankle tweak for 2/3 the season in an effort to tank.... they need to have all the rotation guys out there atleast 75 games a season...

if they get a paul george injury or a bobby phills situation- then yeah I can see some games missed... but anything short of that is minor and the desire needs to be there to play through it and help the team win.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 12:20 PM

There's about 2 teams in the entire league that could "manhandle" the blazers and the clippers.

Beating them is enough. The margin is irrelevant (at least for LAC).

Unless you mean manhandle just by having a great night as opposed to being unbelievably superior. Which we're not imo.

Theres about 8 teams in the west I would say are roughly on par.

likemystylez
11-02-2014, 12:23 PM
oh, to clarify, I'm not calling the dubs an elite team. I just think, with the landscape the way it is in the West, they are definitely contenders. You don't need to be elite to get out of the West, because the talent level is so high, there's so many other factors that come in to play when you go through that road. The road in the East is much different, you got 3 or so teams head and shoulders above everyone else...

LOL- well I think their roster is an elite group of talent and I LOVE their coaching staff- their starting five is the best in the NBA when you consider being able to play any type of basketball. effort and desire are my biggest question marks.

last night for example- they basically sleepwalked through the first 15 or so minutes of the game. theres no way the lakers should be able to stay in the game on their 4th game in 5 nights against the talent disparity- unless the warriors are just kinda cocky and know they can decide to take over when they want. THATS THE CRAP THAT LEADS TO LOSING TO INFERIOR TEAMS

likemystylez
11-02-2014, 12:26 PM
There's about 2 teams in the entire league that could "manhandle" the blazers and the clippers.

Beating them is enough. The margin is irrelevant (at least for LAC).

Unless you mean manhandle just by having a great night as opposed to being unbelievably superior. Which we're not imo.

Theres about 8 teams in the west I would say are roughly on par.

ok well- a lot of warriors fans were saying the only reason the warriors lose that playoff series is cuz they didnt have a healthy big man. (that definitely worked against them I agree)- but on wednesday they will have home court advantage and both festus and bogut available... LOl theres no excuses right?

nastynice
11-02-2014, 12:28 PM
they were a first round exit squad last season, they constantly under performed at home to inferior teams. They literally gave away like 8-10 games that were basically free ones (lakers, knicks, cavs, bobcats, twolves etc.)

Well, so were 4 other teams in the West. The Rockets, the Mavs, Grizz last year were they not contenders either? I'm not saying wether or not you had your money on them, but I'm saying, they all had legit shot of going all the way.

You think of the West last year, you had kinda like a tier 1 with SA and OKC. Then a step below them were like 7 teams. Let's say SA or OKC gets knocked out in round 1, its nothing drastic. Its nothing out of left field, right? Compared to let's say the 1 or 2 seed in the East. If they lose in round 1, its pretty surprising. Being a first round exit in the West last year, it really doesn't hold any weight as far as what you're trying to say.

I don't think the hunger is missing, I think we saw a team grow right in front of our eyes, and maybe along with that came a little laziness, thinking they can coast by at times. We'll see now, this is the third year they are playing at a high level, we'll see if they've made any strides mentally, or if they are at the same place.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 12:29 PM
ok well- a lot of warriors fans were saying the only reason the warriors lose that playoff series is cuz they didnt have a healthy big man. (that definitely worked against them I agree)- but on wednesday they will have home court advantage and both festus and bogut available... LOl theres no excuses right?

When both teams are fully healthy we're pretty much on par with each other. So it could go either way.

Yes we should be able to win. But there's no guarantees when playing against teams of the exact same caliber.

Now playing the Lakers... that's a whole other matter. They never should have had a lead, at any point.

nastynice
11-02-2014, 12:30 PM

oh, it'll be a big game. Given these teams history, and last years playoff matchup, this is one where both teams are going to try and make a statement, so it'll definitely hold more weight than most other reg season games.

likemystylez
11-02-2014, 12:31 PM
oh, it'll be a big game. Given these teams history, and last years playoff matchup, this is one where both teams are going to try and make a statement, so it'll definitely hold more weight than most other reg season games.

but if the warriors lose- does it kill the excuse of missing a big guy in the playoffs?

nastynice
11-02-2014, 12:32 PM
When both teams are fully healthy we're pretty much on par with each other. So it could go either way.

Yes we should be able to win. But there's no guarantees when playing against teams of the exact same caliber.

Now playing the Lakers... that's a whole other matter. They never should have had a lead, at any point.

For sure, but even more than the outcome, it needs to be a good showing. One teams gonna win, one's gonna lose, doesn't take any team out of the race based off of that. Now if one teams DOMINATES, then yea, that could carry over to later in the season or playoffs if it comes down to it. Both teams need to assert themselves and lay their claim, the W or L isn't as important as some of the other aspects of this game.

ESPECIALLY inside, we NEED to establish ourselves in the paint on both sides of the floor. Especially after what happened last year. Oh man, that one hurt lol

PartyPoison15
11-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Warriors brass are crazy if they think he is worth that contract. Way to handcuff your team to a ship that you're not even sure can carry you to the promised land.

Goose17
11-02-2014, 12:35 PM
but if the warriors lose- does it kill the excuse of missing a big guy in the playoffs?

No. It doesn't. Why would it? One regular season game right now isn't the same is a seven game series last year. They literally have nothing to do with each other.

Anyone can beat anyone on any given night. Philly could beat San Antonio. It's unlikely but its possible.

You could play the same game every day for fifty years and every time the scoreline would be different, as would the outcome.

likemystylez
11-02-2014, 12:35 PM
weird thing about the clippers though- something hasnt looked right with them so far this year and in preseason (which I dont want to put any real stock in).... and its early so its kinda like "whatever" at this point. My gut is telling me that the game against the warriors will wake them up

likemystylez
11-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Warriors brass are crazy if they think he is worth that contract. Way to handcuff your team to a ship that you're not even sure can carry you to the promised land.

not crazy- cuz his upside is there... no question about it. it was an aggressive move that I probably would have waited on. I lean more towards paying a guy for a combination of what he has done in the league and what he probably will do over the term of the contract.

Some fans dont even worry about what a player has done- they just pay him for what he might do. its more risky that way, and I guess its more fun for fans.

kinda makes me lose all respect for owners crying about players getting paid too much during the lockout though

Jeffy25
11-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Overpay sure, but Thompson is going to get better still. Gonna be a great player.

Seizabmc
11-02-2014, 07:49 PM
I guess he cares more about money than he does winning because he took the max

odiz
11-02-2014, 08:31 PM

In the clips last 3 wins of that series Jordan averaged 18 points 19.5 rebounds a game on 80% shooting. No way in hell he does that against Bogut.

Seizabmc
11-02-2014, 08:42 PM
I don't care what anybody says,
Klaus, Kwai , and butler don't care about winning because they all want the max!!!

And klay is greedy, he's in a good situation and all he had to do was except a lil less than max and he could have helped his team big time but he didn't so he don't care about winning he only cares about money. He's a money hungry beoth

Allphakenny1
11-02-2014, 08:54 PM
I don't care what anybody says,
Klaus, Kwai , and butler don't care about winning because they all want the max!!!

And klay is greedy, he's in a good situation and all he had to do was except a lil less than max and he could have helped his team big time but he didn't so he don't care about winning he only cares about money. He's a money hungry beoth

I semi-agree, but I do want to point out one thing. Most players who take less money then they are offered have already gotten their big pay day. This is Klay's, and all of these other players we are talking about, first big check after their rookie deals. They feel like they can get paid and win championships. When they make big money and never win, that is usually when they take less then their worth to get that coveted championship.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Fair extension. That's the market value.

nastynice
11-03-2014, 07:21 PM
umm, how bout that guy Klay? monster game, made some big plays down the stretch. I sure as hell hope this isn't some kinda anomaly, but rather a part of his progression.

nastynice
11-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Fair extension. That's the market value.

yea, market value is just bumped up all across the league. I don't necessary feel he's "worth" that much, but from a capitalists, or supply and demand, point of view, he obviously is, because he definitely woulda gotten other offers that high from other teams.

Seizabmc
11-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Oh but it's not ok for melo to except what he took right?

That's the market value!!

lincecum=future
11-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Come in how can you call Klay greedy? It's his first chance to really cash in. Can't blame him. Hopefully he will continue to earn it.