PDA

View Full Version : Is OKC in danger of missing the playoffs?

xnick5757
10-31-2014, 12:37 PM
Westbrook is out for 4-6 weeks
Durant is out until at least the end of November, and probably longer

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 4h4 hours ago
Thunder are 0-2, and if Westbrook is really out 4-6 weeks, facing maybe 20 games w/o Durant and Russ. In the West, that is real danger.

If OKC is 5-15 after 20 games -- and that or worse is in play -- have to go 44-18 rest of way to hit 49 wins it took for No. 8 last season.

And that assumes on-schedule returns for both KD and Russ. Oof. Maybe OKC should have voted for lottery reform after all?

With Durant and Westbrook both out, OKC is going to struggle offensively. Do you think they will be able to win enough during this time so that they still have a shot at the playoffs?

If (as Lowe said) they go 5-20 while they are both out, they would have to go 44-18 the rest of the way just to get the 8 seed. That's going to be pretty difficult in the West.

howiend
10-31-2014, 12:42 PM
If they were in the east, yes, no question. In the west? they are in trouble. It will take more than 44 wins to get in this year. Durant and Westbrook will be rusty when they come back and it will take them some time to get on the same page as a team.

SPURSFAN1
10-31-2014, 12:43 PM
44 and 18 iz doable for a team like theirs. But if one of them gets injured again, it's bye bye playoffs.

xnick5757
10-31-2014, 12:44 PM
If they were in the east, yes, no question. In the west? they are in trouble. It will take more than 44 wins to get in this year. Durant and Westbrook will be rusty when they come back and it will take them some time to get on the same page as a team.

Yeah. I think that if* they both come back on time that they can probably squeak into the 7 or 8 seed. The major problem I see is if either of them gets injured again it pretty much dooms their season.

Meanwhile in the East winning 38 games gets you a playoff spot :rolleyes:

deaner
10-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Yes. I don't see how they get over this hump. Wait for their return, add time to get into game shape, team gelling time... The west is tough. Granted I've only watched the Toronto okc preseason game and the clippers game... But I don't think they have what it takes.

D-Leethal
10-31-2014, 12:52 PM
44 and 18 iz doable for a team like theirs. But if one of them gets injured again, it's bye bye playoffs.

I think you gotta assume they will struggle a bit for at least 5-10 games after they both return as well.

SPURSFAN1
10-31-2014, 01:02 PM
I think you gotta assume they will struggle a bit for at least 5-10 games after they both return as well.

I did assume that. I also assumed, the role players getting more playing helps them win games in the latter stages of the season.

5ass
10-31-2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah. I think that if* they both come back on time that they can probably squeak into the 7 or 8 seed. The major problem I see is if either of them gets injured again it pretty much dooms their season.

Meanwhile in the East winning 38 games gets you a playoff spot :rolleyes:

East is getting better. This season I think the 8th seed will be 42 win team.

5ass
10-31-2014, 01:24 PM
I do think they will miss the play offs. They're both going to readjust coming back from an injury.

aman_13
10-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Well at least their younger players will get more touches. Perry Jones and Andre Roberson could both be integral pieces for them in the long term and now they have an opportunity to further their development with more responsibility.

With that said, hopefully Durant and Westbrook don't miss too much time and get back on the court soon.

2-ONE-5
10-31-2014, 01:25 PM
tank and hope to draft Okafor

Stinkyoutsider
10-31-2014, 01:25 PM
I can't rule out the possibility that OKC doesn't make the playoffs unless Durant or Westbrook run into complications with their injuries and have to sit out more time.

Jackson, when he comes back, is going to be a very important player for the team. I think Ibaka needs to step his scoring up to account for losing both team stars.

chin chukwu
10-31-2014, 01:26 PM
i'm not an OKC fan, but the season just started!!! are you serious??? does it really make any sense to start talking about whether they will make the playoffs or not AFTER 2 GAMES????? this isn't football!!!.

yea, they're in danger of not making the playoffs-----IF THE PLAYOFFS STARTED NEXT WEEK!!!...ridiculous!! i don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but this has to be dumbest thread ever posted on PSD.

Slug3
10-31-2014, 01:28 PM
I can still see them getting a 6-8 seed and making that first round matchup that much harder for seeds 1-3.

SPURSFAN1
10-31-2014, 01:30 PM
i'm not an OKC fan, but the season just started!!! are you serious??? does it really make any sense to start talking about whether they will make the playoffs or not AFTER 2 GAMES????? this isn't football!!!.

yea, they're in danger of not making the playoffs-----IF THE PLAYOFFS STARTED NEXT WEEK!!!...ridiculous!! i don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but this has to be dumbest thread ever posted on PSD.

This is the west where you need 50 wins minimum for 8th seed. All other teams in the west are stacked. They play more west teams than east teams. The grizz lost one star and barely made the playoffs. This is serious.

xbrackattackx
10-31-2014, 02:22 PM

You do realize Durant is out for at least half of the season. And Westbrook is out for six weeks. Annnddd Jackson is injured as well as telfair. Alot of the season will be gone when Westbrook comes back and thats barring that overplaying your role players don't increase injuries. It's not gonna be easy and even the bad teams are gonna be competive some nights. And if you think this is the dumbest thread ever, you must have missed the Lebron/Kobe 10000 threads a day week.

2-ONE-5
10-31-2014, 02:37 PM

are you not aware of the injuries to KD and Westbrook?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-31-2014, 02:53 PM
Time to see what Brooks is made of. I could also see Durant rushing his return.

Ty Fast
10-31-2014, 02:54 PM
I think the Spurs just sealed their 2nd championship in a row.

JordansBulls
10-31-2014, 03:25 PM
I think the Spurs just sealed their 2nd championship in a row.

I don't think they want to play OKC in the 1st round. I don't think anyone with HCA would have to want to play a team that is expected to win it all in round 1. Hell OKC as the 8th could be the first team to win it all as an 8th seed.

Stunner
10-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Perkins / Jones and a 1st for West and Hill

MrfadeawayJB
10-31-2014, 04:06 PM
They are in trouble. They probably will make a trade

da ThRONe
10-31-2014, 04:08 PM
I think the Thunder has done a wonderful job drafting and it will be on display and keep them in it just long enough for Durant and Westbrook to come back. IMO Ibaka is the most underrated player. If he stays healthy*knock on wood* he should get a chance to show his full abilites.

Stunner
10-31-2014, 04:15 PM
I think the Thunder has done a wonderful job drafting and it will be on display and keep them in it just long enough for Durant and Westbrook to come back. IMO Ibaka is the most underrated player. If he stays healthy*knock on wood* he should get a chance to show his full abilites.

Naw lol it's the west , they aren't that talented to keep them afloat . It's still Ibaka and a bunch of borderline role players outside of Jackson.

da ThRONe
10-31-2014, 04:26 PM
Naw lol it's the west , they aren't that talented to keep them afloat . It's still Ibaka and a bunch of borderline role players outside of Jackson.

It all depends on how you look at it. A bunch of borderline role players or a bunch of young vets that are finally going to get their chances to shine. I lean more towards the latter. This is probably the only good thing about injures in sports. We'll get a chance to see which is which.

Miltstar
10-31-2014, 04:33 PM
they in big trouble... doubt they make the playoffs in the west... too many good teams

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-31-2014, 04:45 PM
no way they are gonna miss the playoffs

likemystylez
10-31-2014, 05:22 PM
no way they are gonna miss the playoffs

unless perry jones turns into a top 5 player int he league, or kd makes a miracle recovery and is back before thanksgiving- there is definitely a way

SPURSFAN1
10-31-2014, 06:25 PM
unless perry jones turns into a top 5 player int he league, or kd makes a miracle recovery and is back before thanksgiving- there is definitely a way

:laugh2:

P&GRealist
10-31-2014, 06:48 PM
Get the 7th or 8th seed, and get revenge on the Spurs in the first round. :up:

canzano55
10-31-2014, 06:54 PM
I think they're done.

With Durants return they would have to beast all the way to end of spring just to get a low seed.

amos1er
10-31-2014, 07:04 PM
East is getting better. This season I think the 8th seed will be 42 win team.

Care to make a wager on that...

THE MTL
10-31-2014, 07:59 PM
It takes 50 wins to make the playoffs in the West. Idk if they can recover from 4-6 weeks without Durant AND Westbrook

likemystylez
10-31-2014, 08:11 PM
It takes 50 wins to make the playoffs in the West. Idk if they can recover from 4-6 weeks without Durant AND Westbrook

keep in mind, when those guys get back- they probably wont be at 100% right away- it might take a few more weeks to play at that level consistently through out a game.... and there is a good possability that durant comes back a few weeks later than expected

Cracka2HI!
10-31-2014, 08:26 PM
That team they have on the floor right now is terrible. I'm actually very worried about my Clipps after being taken the limit by those bums last night. I mean they have freaking Sebastian Telfair running Point.

likemystylez
11-01-2014, 01:28 AM
That team they have on the floor right now is terrible. I'm actually very worried about my Clipps after being taken the limit by those bums last night. I mean they have freaking Sebastian Telfair running Point.

The lakers were right with the clippers tonight too... lakers looked a little better... but the clippers were not an elite team out there

koreancabbage
11-01-2014, 01:36 AM
The lakers were right with the clippers tonight too... lakers looked a little better... but the clippers were not an elite team out there

meh, just one game. it could be matchups. Clippers are still an elite team.

Bruno
11-01-2014, 05:53 AM
can they get to 50 wins with KD and Russ missing at least a month, maybe more? tall task. depends on how good they'll be. lol

thejordanrules
11-01-2014, 06:45 PM
no they will get third see and upset the spurs in the first round!

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 07:04 PM
in the west you can win 50 games and still miss the playoffs... so I would say yes they will miss out on the post season this season.

AllBall
11-01-2014, 11:35 PM
If I'm not mistaken the stat goes:

The same 8 teams have not made the playoffs in consecutive seasons in the West since 1980.

This is a strong enough blow to swing the pendulum, OKC is not gonna make it