PDA

View Full Version : Alec Burks + Gordon Hayward

Redrum187
10-31-2014, 03:19 AM
I'm a fan of both players and their games. Hayward is known more for being overpaid than he is as a talented player and Burks is relatively unknown with many fan bases. I think with increased minutes, people will see how good Burks really is. Having said that, I have some questions about each player. Respond to any/all if you have a strong opinion one way or the other.

Are they a good fit together for the SG/SF positions?

Who is currently the better player?

Who will be the better player looking into the future?

What criticisms do you have for each player?

Who would you think Burks best case scenario player comparison is? Hayward's?

2-ONE-5
10-31-2014, 09:06 AM
wouldnt this be a better question for Jazz fans in their forum? Jazz arent on TV ever so no one really knows

Redrum187
10-31-2014, 06:54 PM
I don't really want just Jazz fans. When people ask questions pertaining to Kobe or LeBron, it's not meant for the Lakers or the Cavs. Sure, Burks isn't on their level, but he is still nevertheless a good player. I guess I assume too much in thinking non-Jazz fans (I'm not even a Jazz fan) know/care a bit about Burks/Hayward.

KnicksorBust
10-31-2014, 07:19 PM
Burks extention is garbage.

Spanklin
10-31-2014, 07:20 PM
Slick Pimp Alec Burks is the better player by far. Jazz got a total steal with this contract, he should have been maxed.

To put it into perspective, Alec just destroyed James Harden and Kobe Bryant in back to back games. He is easily the best young shooting guard in the NBA and will soon be known as The Next Dwayne Wade.

Hayward, otoh, is a soft pasty white kid who cannot shoot and doesn't do much of anything well. He's soon to be known as The Worst Contract In The League.

beasted86
10-31-2014, 08:17 PM
They are good at a couple things, but great at nothing and they will both be paid in double digits, along with Favors. That's 3 guys who are thoroughly mediocre who will be making a little over half of the salary cap between just them... next year: Hayward $15.4M, Favors $12M, Burks $10M? At least $37M right there, and none of them will be an all-star.

That's an unacceptable philosophy to building a team. Nobody should be surprised to see them in the lottery for no less than 2 more consecutive years.

To answer a little bit of the OP, my biggest criticism is great at nothing, especially being merely average on defense. You should be a plus defender or elite offensively if you are making double digit salary.

Bruno
10-31-2014, 08:27 PM
I like it. Burks can attack, gordon can spread the floor and facilitate. but they jazz won't be competitive until they develop their rim protector. Kanter will never be able to do that an an elite level, they have to develop Gobert.

the jazz are a league pass team.

Burke-Burks-Hayward-Favors-Gobert with Exum as 6th man is a lot to be excited about. they should trade Kanter.

Bruno
10-31-2014, 08:31 PM
They are good at a couple things, but great at nothing and they will both be paid in double digits, along with Favors. That's 3 guys who are thoroughly mediocre who will be making a little over half of the salary cap between just them... next year: Hayward $15.4M, Favors $12M, Burks $10M? At least $37M right there, and none of them will be an all-star.

That's an unacceptable philosophy to building a team. Nobody should be surprised to see them in the lottery for no less than 2 more consecutive years.

To answer a little bit of the OP, my biggest criticism is great at nothing, especially being merely average on defense. You should be a plus defender or elite offensively if you are making double digit salary.

$37 million, half the cap? not bad. most teams one-two punch or big three take up a lot more than half the cap. in an era with a potential 80 M cap, that's a nice core. they'll still be able to bring in more talent.

I see your point, but it's Utah. they're not as fortunate as LA and Miami, they almost have to grow these guys, bet on them heavy and hope it pans out. they might be able to get one all-star in FA but they can't develop a team through FA. I think they're doing what they have to do, fingers crossed. I think once we get use to contracts like this being the norm, we won't think twice about it.

keeping in mind he and hayward are wings. arguable the thinnest positions in the league. I think I'd argue that Burks is great at getting to the line.

Bruno
10-31-2014, 08:35 PM
wouldnt this be a better question for Jazz fans in their forum? Jazz arent on TV ever so no one really knows

the jazz are going to be a popular league pass team, I think they'll get more attention this year.

beasted86
10-31-2014, 08:47 PM
$37 million, half the cap? not bad. most teams one-two punch or big three take up a lot more than half the cap. in an era with a potential 80 M cap, that's a nice core. they'll still be able to bring in more talent.

I see your point, but it's Utah. they're not as fortunate as LA and Miami, they almost have to grow these guys, bet on them heavy and hope it pans out. they might be able to get one all-star in FA but they can't develop a team through FA. I think they're doing what they have to do, fingers crossed. I think once we get use to contracts like this being the norm, we won't think twice about it.

keeping in mind he and hayward are wings. arguable the thinnest positions in the league. I think I'd argue that Burks is great at getting to the line.

Post all-star, Burks averaged 5.3 FTA. I think that falls right in line with my definition of being "good at some things, great at none".

Like I said, they are good solid players, but this combo of 3 players isn't taking any team to the playoffs, even if they played in the East. The team is still relying on Burke and maybe down the line Exum panning out and becoming good.

I think Utah's mindset is none of these players are great, but hopefully ALL of them will be good. But I think this is a stupid mindset because we all saw how Denver was basically stuck in limbo for the past couple years before last year's fall.

2-ONE-5
11-01-2014, 01:40 PM

its funny bcuz thhe Sixers opted not to go this route when Hinkie was made GM yet everyone hates what we are doing. I have been baffled with the Jazz rebuild since it started

Goose17
11-01-2014, 01:52 PM
1.Are they a good fit together for the SG/SF positions?

2. Who is currently the better player?

3. Who will be the better player looking into the future?

1. Honestly I haven't seen lot of them on the floor together so I don't know.

2. Hayward. He's underrated (oddly) in part due to his contract.

3. Hayward. Imo.

tp13baby
11-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Post all-star, Burks averaged 5.3 FTA. I think that falls right in line with my definition of being "good at some things, great at none".

Like I said, they are good solid players, but this combo of 3 players isn't taking any team to the playoffs, even if they played in the East. The team is still relying on Burke and maybe down the line Exum panning out and becoming good.

I think Utah's mindset is none of these players are great, but hopefully ALL of them will be good. But I think this is a stupid mindset because we all saw how Denver was basically stuck in limbo for the past couple years before last year's fall.

Ill respectively disagree. We have had a lot of players have to reach their potential. We aren't a big market team so we won't attract big market players. This team is a lot like the 2011 team that took the Lakers to 7 games. Guy like Faried, Lawson, Afflalo, Mozgov, Gallo no where near they are.

2012-13 we lost to Golden State. Awful coaching and losing Gallo hurt so bad. Iggy also a lot of Denver fans turned on us. But anyways we were a 3rd seed with a coach that didn't know a half court game. there is a reason he is jobless.

Last season- second most injured team in the league. First year under Shaw

This year is different. I actually bet against the Vegas odds of Denver only being a 40 win team. This team to me if healthy is a playoff team.

On Topic- Burks is better than Hayward. I watch Burks since he is a division opponent and he has allstar potential. His extension is actually really good for the talent. I like how they are building.

D-Leethal
11-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Are these guys ever gonna be the cornerstones of a winning team? Favors, Hayward and Burks? They are young but I certainly don't see it.

Goose17
11-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Are these guys ever gonna be the cornerstones of a winning team? Favors, Hayward and Burks? They are young but I certainly don't see it.

Hayward is more than capable of being the second option on a contender imo. In a system like the Spurs he could easily be playing a role similar to Kawhi. I blame Utahs coaching for slowing down his development.

Maybe I'm too high on him. But I can see it. Lots of potential.

D-Leethal
11-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Hayward is more than capable of being the second option on a contender imo. In a system like the Spurs he could easily be playing a role similar to Kawhi. I blame Utahs coaching for slowing down his development.

Maybe I'm too high on him. But I can see it. Lots of potential.

Maybe as a sidekick scorer on an already stacked team. But as a franchise cornerstone? Go-to guy? He is being paid to be that guy and with Burks and Favors getting paid what they have, it seems they are going to rely on these guys to lead them to the promised land. Similar to Rubio, drafting a fringe-great player is a bad thing when you don't have great players already there. You are going to have to pay them like they are all stars if you want to keep them and then you don't leave yourself much flexibility to acquire a true all star.

Goose17
11-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Maybe as a sidekick scorer on an already stacked team. But as a franchise cornerstone? Go-to guy? He is being paid to be that guy and with Burks and Favors getting paid what they have, it seems they are going to rely on these guys to lead them to the promised land. Similar to Rubio, drafting a fringe-great player is a bad thing when you don't have great players already there. You are going to have to pay them like they are all stars if you want to keep them and then you don't leave yourself much flexibility to acquire a true all star.

I would take Hayward over those other two every time. If I was them I would have traded Burks. I like him but he's essily replaceable. Maybe Favors could have been dealt but I like him too so I don't know.

And yes. He could be a second option on a contender. In my opinion.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm a fan of both players and their games. Hayward is known more for being overpaid than he is as a talented player and Burks is relatively unknown with many fan bases. I think with increased minutes, people will see how good Burks really is. Having said that, I have some questions about each player. Respond to any/all if you have a strong opinion one way or the other.

Are they a good fit together for the SG/SF positions?

Who is currently the better player?

Who will be the better player looking into the future?

What criticisms do you have for each player?

Who would you think Burks best case scenario player comparison is? Hayward's?

I think burks is better, not only is hayward over paid, i find him to be over rated somewhat as well. I think Id take korver over him.. but thats me being bias becuase i really like korver.

BHF
11-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Burks extention is garbage.

Burks would be the second best player on the Knicks and you would be to making the playoffs with him.

Cracka2HI!
11-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Good thread idea. It's nice seeing threads that aren't about LeBron or Bryant. I like both Burks and Hayward. I do think Hayward is being paid about twice what he's worth tho. I think Burks might exceed his contract but it's still early for him. I see Burks as being the better player down the line. I don't think the Wade comparisons for Burks are spot on. He's a better shooter and not quite the rim attacker Wade is. I don't see him being able to take over a game like Wade. Not to say he can't, he's just not a prime Dwayne Wade. I'd say he's more like Jason Richardson. I was surprised to find out J-Rich never made an all-star game. I think Burks probably will make an all-star game or 2 but I don't see him as a perineal all-star. I don't see Hayward as an all-star. I would compare him to Mike Dunleavy Jr. He's a better ball handler but his impact is about what Dunleavy's was in his prime when healthy.