PDA

View Full Version : The Difference Between Kobe and LeBron that Nobody seems to point out ever

P&GRealist
10-30-2014, 11:21 PM
So LeBron has the better advantage in dominance, stats, team ball, likability, teammate wise, person, role model etc. He is revered while Kobe is looked down upon for what he represents.

But the one thing that nobody ever talks about the difference between these two guys is how they approach the game psychologically and the pressures surrounding it, on the court, and off the court (especially), and their perceptions.

We saw LeBron hype tonight's game as one of if not the biggest games and sporting events in sports history. But he fell too much into his own hype, and well, we saw. And we witnessed.

The man who self-anointed himself the KING, the CHOSEN ONE, and called all of us HIS WITNESSES, the man who decided to wear the No. 23, to change to 6 (because 23 was retired in Miami, so next best thing was to pick his Olympic #), just to go back to 23. The powder tossing and asking the fans whether or not he should do the ritual. (Fans said yes, now he can say that the fans WANTED him to do so).

The guy came out with CHECK MY STATS T-SHIRTS while his rivals (Wade, Kobe and Dirk) were winning championships. The guy did and still to this day refers to himself in the THIRD PERSON.

He made a spectacle when he defected to Miami, and made a probably even bigger spectacle when he "came back home" to win back the hearts of all Clevelanders and Ohioans around the state.

The guy who has been so self-conscious of his career, his hairline to the extent that he would try to get that headband cover as much of it as possible.

As great as LeBron is, the guy is too emotional, he gets TOO HIGH and TOO LOW (remember when he told all of us post 2011 finals that we can all get back to our hard and pathetic lives?).

Now the contrast...

So Kobe is called selfish, a ballhog, an overpaid, rapist. A guy who is a cancer to his team. But yet, the guy has mastered everything there is to live life on and off the court with the ULTIMATE EVEN KEEL APPROACH. Don't get too high, don't get too low. Hate him as you wish, but you have to credit the player and man Kobe Bryant. Through all the trials and tribulations, some self-inflicted, and some out of his control, the guy has persevered and rarely has made so much coverage about himself.

The rape case, the feuds with Shaq, the book by Phil, the Achilles, the Dwight saga....whatever may have been the case with him, we wouldn't see this guy trying to defer the fault to someone else, he would ultimately take it upon himself. The failures on and off the court, he would ultimately take it upon himself, and that is the truth. When he was out with the Achilles, the guy didn't try to take away the spotlight away from everyone else. The guy dealt with his pain personally and with his family and worked hard in rehab and did what he had to do to comeback. And when he got injured again, he went right back to the lab and worked and worked and worked.

The only real outbursts from time to time we see from Kobe (although he does it in a really facetious manner) is his tiffs back and forth with the ESPN guys. But other than that, the guy is not about self-promotion, the guy wasn't the one who wanted to be celebrated before he won anything.

When Shaq left and people said Kobe couldn't do it without him, Kobe basically recalibrated the meter from 3 championships to 0. Meaning he just wasn't content. He treated post yr 8 as if he had yet to win a championship. The hunger and motivation was at an all time high. When he lost in the final in 08, he made sure to whip himself into shape and get even harder on his teammates the following yr, and they had something to prove. When things were going good for him or bad for him, he always came on with his hard hat on. Taking nothing for granted.

And then we see a guy like LeBron James, a guy who gets too emotional and so caught up in his own hype (you can have himself and his boys Mavericks and Rich to thank for that) that he loses perception of what's real and what's not. What matters the most, and what does not.

He just came off a summer where he lost already for the 3rd time in the NBA Finals. And he comes back with a new team, and hypes everything up, and his effort wasn't there. He approached the home opener with a LAISSEZ-FAIRE attitude (the anti-Kobe).

We all witnessed the World Series, we saw how Madison Bumgarner throughout the postseason and throughout his young career has stayed even keel. Not too high, not too low. You celebrate when you win. Otherwise, it just doesn't matter. The hype, the hoopla, the ratings, the notoriety, just doesn't matter. And whether you hate Kobe Bryant or not, this is how he has approached his entire career. While LeBron is basically the anti-Kobe....and well....the anti-Bum in that regard.

goingfor28
10-30-2014, 11:22 PM
How long did that take to type lol

jerellh528
10-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Lebron is a poser. I've always said he's a glorified stat stuffer. He's not a true baller. And I think a lot of people actually bring this topic up

sheesh
10-30-2014, 11:28 PM
You say Kobe will never "defer the fault to someone else, he would ultimately take it upon himself". "not about self-promotion".

Yet he can't admit that Jordan is better at basketball than himself.

Yea he's the model for being down to earth.

P&GRealist
10-30-2014, 11:31 PM
You say Kobe will never "defer the fault to someone else, he would ultimately take it upon himself". "not about self-promotion".

Yet he can't admit that Jordan is better at basketball than himself.

Yea he's the model for being down to earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Epu-7ITO4

Starts at 2:08

Next...

bucketss
10-30-2014, 11:33 PM
too long to read, but the main difference is lebron can dominate without scoring a bucket, while kobe on the other hand can't.

sheesh
10-30-2014, 11:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Epu-7ITO4

Starts at 2:08

Next...

Not buying it. He just wants to dodge the question and gave a politically correct answer.

Vinny642
10-30-2014, 11:35 PM
Dude come on now -__-

P&GRealist
10-30-2014, 11:35 PM
too long to read, but the main difference is lebron can dominate without scoring a bucket, while kobe on the other hand can't.

So you didn't even take the time to read and now make incoherent remarks?

I already stated that LeBron is a better stat and dominance guy.

Oh the ignorance. Expected from you bucketss.

P&GRealist
10-30-2014, 11:37 PM
Not buying it. He just wants to dodge the question and gave a politically correct answer.

And that's the thing with Kobe Bryant: Damned if he does, Damned if he doesn't. But you won't see the guy trying to appease you, while a guy like LeBron and his PR buddies will go to the death to do anything to reverse his image 180.

Kobe is a "I just don't care" guy. An "it is what it is" guy. A "stay in the moment" guy. (The Anti-LBJ)

Crackadalic
10-30-2014, 11:38 PM
Im disappointed Only 3 threads so far? PSD you're hurting my heart man

P&GRealist
10-30-2014, 11:38 PM
Dude come on now -__-

Address the topic or simply please GTFO.

I took the time to make this thread, the least you can do is give me a fitting reply. Not a LeBron type laissez-faire comment like so.

Vinny642
10-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Address the topic or simply please GTFO.

I took the time to make this thread, the least you can do is give me a fitting reply. Not a LeBron type laissez-faire comment like so.

LMAO you are not a boss, I will reply as I see fit. A thread like this doesn't deserve a true response.

hugepatsfan
10-30-2014, 11:41 PM
They're both egotistical jerks but I find Kobe's to be more "I genuinely couldn't give two ****s about anyone who doubts me" rather than "I'm insecure, please notice me and say good things so my feelings don't get hurt." I find the former to be a lot more fun as a sports personality.

sheesh
10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
And that's the thing with Kobe Bryant: Damned if he does, Damned if he doesn't. But you won't see the guy trying to appease you, while a guy like LeBron and his PR buddies will go to the death to do anything to reverse his image 180.

Kobe is a "I just don't care" guy. An "it is what it is" guy. A "stay in the moment" guy. (The Anti-LBJ)

Kobe is a brash personality. He rubs people the wrong way. That doesn't mean he's a bad person, but he's just not going to be one of the guys. It stems nothing from jealousy, instead it's the audacity.

So of course he's damned if he does and damned if doesn't. It's his personality.

Hawkeye15
10-30-2014, 11:46 PM
omfg

cmellofan15
10-30-2014, 11:48 PM
the difference is Kobe is more immature on the court. ball hogging, name calling, gay slurs, etc. to go along with the crying that they both do.

P&GRealist
10-30-2014, 11:53 PM
the difference is Kobe is more immature on the court. ball hogging, name calling, gay slurs, etc. to go along with the crying that they both do.

I already pointed out Kobe's bad qualities.

Read the title of the thread.

Difference that "nobody seems to point out ever"

What you just said gets mentioned time and time again.

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL.

bucketss
10-30-2014, 11:54 PM
sorry P&GRealist, should have read your thread. my apologies.

cmellofan15
10-30-2014, 11:58 PM
I read it!

he was very general about Kobe, and honed in on specific instances and things that LeBron has done.

nothing about Kobe using gay slurs and curse words to define other players on the court though. or maybe I didn't read that part.

cmellofan15
10-31-2014, 12:00 AM
Lebron doesn't call out his team mates like Kobe did to Pau.
Lebron doesn't get in legal disputes with his mother
Lebron's never been divorced.
LeBron doesn't troll his ex team mates.

oh yeah, and Lebron's never been accused of rape. I'm just assuming that's because he's smarter and more mature. That's why he'd stay out of situations like that.

Htownballa1622
10-31-2014, 12:04 AM
:dance: Didn't read :dance:

bluefire7002
10-31-2014, 12:13 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/64/64f8f6edff395d7b72e18b309e3b6aab8840d5228f31784ac0 27ec71b77b1713.jpg

P&GRealist
10-31-2014, 12:14 AM
sorry P&GRealist, should have read your thread. my apologies.

No need to apologize.

This isn't a bait thread or anything. I genuinely put the time in to this because I think this is one aspect of a difference between Kobe and LeBron that doesn't get talked about much.

P&GRealist
10-31-2014, 12:16 AM
Lebron doesn't call out his team mates like Kobe did to Pau.
Lebron doesn't get in legal disputes with his mother
Lebron's never been divorced.
LeBron doesn't troll his ex team mates.

oh yeah, and Lebron's never been accused of rape. I'm just assuming that's because he's smarter and more mature. That's why he'd stay out of situations like that.

Neither is Kobe.

And again, you pointed out the bad qualities of Kobe that I already mentioned in my opening post.

Nice try though.

P&GRealist
10-31-2014, 12:17 AM
:dance: Didn't read :dance:

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/64/64f8f6edff395d7b72e18b309e3b6aab8840d5228f31784ac0 27ec71b77b1713.jpg

Okay these made me laugh. Well done.
:laugh2:

cmellofan15
10-31-2014, 12:20 AM
Neither is Kobe.

And again, you pointed out the bad qualities of Kobe that I already mentioned in my opening post.

Nice try though.

nope, you didn't give any of these specific instances. unless you can point out the non existent points to me in your post?

P&GRealist
10-31-2014, 12:33 AM
nope, you didn't give any of these specific instances. unless you can point out the non existent points to me in your post?

Ok

clehmun
10-31-2014, 02:49 AM
I understand that some of you are tired of having so many Kobe threads. But P&GRealist made some good points in this one, and unlike the "trade kobe", "kobe vs jordan", "Lakers win in preseason without kobe", "HBD Kobe", etc.

This one is worth reading and having a conversation about.

jaydubb
10-31-2014, 07:38 AM
Been thinking this for years.. I've actually said this in a few threads, tho not to this extent.. Kobe is all about championships and Lebron is all about himself.

Jamiecballer
10-31-2014, 08:01 AM
Lebron can get caught up in the moment, yes. But I prefer a human who cares about other people over one who couldn't care about any one but themselves.

Ariza's Better
10-31-2014, 08:13 AM
Got to give P&G Realist credit, he is the smartest troll on here.

IndyRealist
10-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Been thinking this for years.. I've actually said this in a few threads, tho not to this extent.. Kobe is all about championships and Lebron is all about himself.

This pretty much sums up the entire thread and is widely accepted as fact, without being 27 paragraphs long.

I appreciate all of the thought that goes into these op-ed threads, but please do not try to mod your own threads.

MannyPhaces
10-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Michael Jordan didnt care about anyone but himself yet he is the goat.
And really its basketball and shldnt that be what this is about?

now.. LeBron is the best in the game today and Kobe once was and I agree w most of the original post. But I care about the court most of all and wen its championship game 7 w 5sec to go im giving the ball to kobe to take the last shot. LeBron is not a proven killer. He'll defer more than pull the trigger.

kdspurman
10-31-2014, 09:33 AM
They're both egotistical jerks but I find Kobe's to be more "I genuinely couldn't give two ****s about anyone who doubts me" rather than "I'm insecure, please notice me and say good things so my feelings don't get hurt." I find the former to be a lot more fun as a sports personality.

Sort of my sentiments as well.

RowBTrice
10-31-2014, 09:36 AM
They are both selfish and egotistical

nickdymez
10-31-2014, 10:47 AM
This is a pretty good post. I agree with it because it's pretty much my problem with LeBron. A lot of hype. But the guys that are fans of LeBron will just spin everything negative and positive in your post. I think it was excellent by the way.

IBleedPurple
10-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Dude come on now -__-Yep. Kobe Kobe Kobe.

ghettosean
10-31-2014, 11:02 AM

He sure DOMINATED back in the 2011 finals then :D

ghettosean
10-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Lebron can get caught up on the moment, yes. But I prefer a human who cares about other people over one who couldn't care about any one but themselves.

*Sniff* *Sniff*

I feel you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUF5QcSwKes

http://ispot.tv/a/7Zn4

Chronz
10-31-2014, 11:34 AM
First impression: well written bro

Let me meditate on this one before i respond

beasted86
10-31-2014, 11:35 AM
At the root of this, you are essentially asking about leadership styles. Do I want a strong leader who self-doubts and is the prototypical "laissez faire" "country-club" leadership style, or would I prefer a strong leader who is the prototypical aristocratic head-strong leader who is overly self-confident to a fault?

It's clearly the LeBron type leader when given the results of the two. Although not as strong and direct a leadership style, it sort of allows the coach to be more of the vocal point. Strong leaders are good, but not all respond to that type and only works under someone people look up to as "the" voice to listen to because they are more than likely right. Jordan had the same leadership style as Kobe, but it worked better for him because he was just "that" good and near perfect. Its easier to get behind a leader who is headstrong when they know exactly what they are talking about. It's not as easy to get behind a leader who is headstrong that has some clear faults.

I'll make an analogy, let's say that I was the engineer for Mercedes Benz. When I came to my director with all my designs he threw them out and said they weren't good enough, criticizing every thing until he finally got the result he wanted. I might be more likely to listen to his criticism because MB is at the top of the food chain when it comes to mass produced luxury cars. Now, say I worked for Cadillac who is also a long standing and strong brand, I may be willing to take some of the same treatment but not to the same extent because Caddy has fallen off and doesn't have the same reputation as MB.

At the end of the day, Kobe's self confidence blinded him into believing he was as good, if not better than prime Shaq. That type of mindset isn't conducive to winning even if strong leadership is a desirable trait.

KobeOwnSU
10-31-2014, 12:03 PM
I'll take the guy who isn't Delonte West' step-son.

xnick5757
10-31-2014, 12:26 PM
P&G, why do you care about Lebron so much? Honest question.

Did he Delonte West your mum?

And anyways, Kobe has never come close to achieving what Lebron has been able to do in the playoffs (talking peak playoff performances here)

Kobe was good, but couldn't hold Lebron's jock strap when it comes to the playoffs

Htownballa1622
10-31-2014, 12:38 PM
The difference is between fans of the two.

Kobe fans are obsessed with Lebron while lebron fans seem to not give TWO ***** about Kobe.

EDIT: GRAMMAR NAZI

KobeOwnSU
10-31-2014, 12:59 PM
The difference is between fans of the two.

Kobe fans are obsessed with Lebron while lebron fans seem to not give to ***** about Kobe.

Two.

LakeShowRaider
10-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Well said.

Htownballa1622
10-31-2014, 01:13 PM
Two.

Congrats on catching my accident.

You're name is incorrect too since you want to go grammar nazi on me.

P&GRealist
11-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Congrats on catching my accident.

You're name is incorrect too since you want to go grammar nazi on me.

It's funny how you have gone on several different tangents already in this thread but haven't even addressed the actual topic at hand.

Htownballa1622
11-01-2014, 06:24 PM
It's funny how you have gone on several different tangents already in this thread but haven't even addressed the actual topic at hand.

Haven't gone on any tangent and I didn't want to address any topic that hasn't been :horse:

You've made so many Lebron/Kobe threads lately, it's just repetitive.

I'll tell you the main difference between the two imo.

Both are arrogant but Kobe can shut his critics out while Lebron seems to want to be loved and is phased by some criticism. BUT there are times i've seen Lebron go ATTACK mode(My favorite Lebron btw) like game 6 in Boston a few years ago in an elimination game.

I think both could take a page out of the other's book. Put them together and you get hybrid magic/Jordan.

There. :p

Hawkeye15
11-02-2014, 12:32 AM
run its course