PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets' Faried on Pistons' Smith: "Josh Smith, we let him keep shooting"

spreadeagle
10-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Josh Smith's penchant for taking - and often missing - bad shots is well known, which is why opponents are often more than happy to let Smith fire away.

In Wednesday's season opener against the Denver Nuggets, the Detroit Pistons forward scored 25 points, but needed 22 shots to get it done. Those 22 shots included 12 field goal attempts outside the paint and three 3-point attempts.

Smith is a career 27.9 percent three-point shooter who continues to show a complete lack of discipline and offensive awareness, and after the Pistons dropped their opener in Denver, Nuggets big man Kenneth Faried gave a pretty honest take.

"Josh Smith, we let him keep shooting," Faried said after the game in an on-court interview. "And he ended up with 25, but he still kept shooting. He shot them out of the game."

It wouldn't be the first time. http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/617527

Chronz
10-30-2014, 06:25 PM
The book is out on volume scoring, if the team has little in the way of a coherent system, those volume scorers are going to get exposed. Detroit is in the process of changing that tho, their rotations are looking alot cleaner, they really needed Meeks healthy tho. They splurged on his shooting to the point where it was a giant over pay but thats how badly they need him.

Jamiecballer
10-30-2014, 07:12 PM
I came to say exactly what you did Chronz. This is a great sign for the future of the game.

HoopsDrive
10-30-2014, 07:16 PM
"We let him keep shooting" and "He shot them out of the game"

Two of my fav quotes. Happens a lot, I wonder if the players/coaches realize how detrimental inefficient scoring can be.

SF8
10-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Josh Smith had strong words for Kenneth Faried to Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News on Thursday.

Smith was responding to a quote from Faried in which he said that Smith "shot them out of the game."

The Denver Nuggets defeated the Detroit Pistons by a final score of 89-79. Smith scored 25 points on 9-for-22 shooting.

"He's a clown, quote me on that," said Smith.

"He fears me. He's scared of me. He knows it's coming."

https://twitter.com/vgoodwill/status/527964855996022784

**** just got real.

cmellofan15
10-30-2014, 08:12 PM

**** just got real.

wow....Josh Smith sounds a little butthurt....

maybe I'm just being biased but I don't think we'll have a problem with Detroit in the next meeting, especially if this is his attitude. I mean, he only hit 3 field goals in the last quarters and no he wants to shoot even more? I'd be completely okay with that lol

xbrackattackx
10-30-2014, 08:59 PM
When players result to insults, you know that the person who called them out hit a nerve. Josh Smith did lose that game for them, he knows it and won't admit it.

cmellofan15
10-30-2014, 10:33 PM
well he did it again tonight

HeatFan
10-30-2014, 10:40 PM
When players result to insults, you know that the person who called them out hit a nerve. Josh Smith did lose that game for them, he knows it and won't admit it.

True. He has heard that critique so often and yet doesn't seem to get it.

Howard_Zinn
10-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Smith is the clown,

signed,'

Pistons fan

Sadds The Gr8
10-31-2014, 12:05 AM

**** just got real.
Lol he so mad

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-31-2014, 12:45 AM
5-16 tonight lol

DemarDerozan
10-31-2014, 02:18 AM

Yep. Dude is immature. I flipped back and forth from this one and the Raps on NBA TV. Smoove won the first quarter but then lost the game. He got too confident with his shot and flashy defensive moves.

This is not the direction the league is heading. He plays like an individual rather than part of the team... Aside from that DJ Augustin has played phenomenal.

What do you think the Pistons could get back for Smith/Jennings? Anything? Maybe Jason Thompson and pieces?

ThuglifeJ
10-31-2014, 02:29 AM
Wow. Loving the early chippiness in the NBA already.

Faried>>>>Smith btw. CANT STAND guys like Smith.

AlixGx
10-31-2014, 01:10 PM
I dont respond to nobody with dreadlocks who plays basketball, Smith said, referring to Farieds hairdo. Hes a clown, quote me on that.

He knows its coming, he knows, next time we play, Smith said. In order to make those comments like that, you gotta be able to back it up and well see next time.

Ill have some words while Im busting his ***. I back it up when I talk. Its gonna be a pretty good match-up.

He fears me, Smith said. Hes scared of me, so, of course, hell talk about me in the paper. He wont do it to me in my face. If you have to hide behind a microphone or smartphone, so be it. I dont mind.

I personally love it.

*Superman*
10-31-2014, 01:12 PM
I dont respond to nobody with dreadlocks who plays basketball, Smith said, referring to Farieds hairdo. Hes a clown, quote me on that.

He knows its coming, he knows, next time we play, Smith said. In order to make those comments like that, you gotta be able to back it up and well see next time.

Ill have some words while Im busting his ***. I back it up when I talk. Its gonna be a pretty good match-up.

He fears me, Smith said. Hes scared of me, so, of course, hell talk about me in the paper. He wont do it to me in my face. If you have to hide behind a microphone or smartphone, so be it. I dont mind.

I personally love it.

I don't think I've ever been more exited to see Denver play Detroit.

D-Leethal
10-31-2014, 01:25 PM
I don't think its volume scoring as much as a guy who is no threat to make open shots being sagged off of 15 feet allowing you to pack the paint and control the boards while he misses open jumpers. You can't sag off every volume scorer - you can sag off Josh Smith.

There are plenty of volume scorers whose team thrive when they are out there and we all know this to be true. Not every volume scorer is created equal. If teams don't have to worry about you making wide open jump shots and can essentially guard 5 on 4 in the half court and pack the paint, thats more than just a volume scorer problem.

Leave Aldridge or Melo wide open all night and see what happens...

Tony_Starks
10-31-2014, 02:41 PM
I don't think its volume scoring as much as a guy who is no threat to make open shots being sagged off of 15 feet allowing you to pack the paint and control the boards while he misses open jumpers. You can't sag off every volume scorer - you can sag off Josh Smith.

There are plenty of volume scorers whose team thrive when they are out there and we all know this to be true. Not every volume scorer is created equal. If teams don't have to worry about you making wide open jump shots and can essentially guard 5 on 4 in the half court and pack the paint, thats more than just a volume scorer problem.

Exactly. I don't ever recall Smith being accused of being a volume scorer. The knock on him has always been even though he can take it to the hole he gets lazy and just settles for the his inconsistent J. He's like Rondo except Rondo knows he can't shoot and plays accordingly.

But I'm pretty sure you've noticed there's a persistent efficiency is the key, analytics is the key, volume scoring and inefficient shooting is going out of style agenda that is being pushed by certain people....

Jamiecballer
10-31-2014, 07:17 PM

Ugh. Aldridge is definitely not worthy of being grouped with Melo.

KnicksorBust
10-31-2014, 07:20 PM

Exactly. I don't ever recall Smith being accused of being a volume scorer. The knock on him has always been even though he can take it to the hole he gets lazy and just settles for the his inconsistent J. He's like Rondo except Rondo knows he can't shoot and plays accordingly.

But I'm pretty sure you've noticed there's a persistent efficiency is the key, analytics is the key, volume scoring and inefficient shooting is going out of style agenda that is being pushed by certain people....

Going out of style... lmao. Yeah losing and acid wash jeans go together hand in hand.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-06-2014, 01:25 AM
2-17 well done Jsmoove

SF8
11-06-2014, 01:47 AM
Lol this was part of that 2-17 shooting....

JASON SMITH...lmao, Smith on Smith crime

http://www.sportal.com.au/nba/josh-smith-blocked-rejected-jason-smith-pistons-knicks-tomahawk-dunk/4c4gvh17kvu618est8x51o742

sf-fanatic
11-06-2014, 05:26 AM
This is great for the NBA. Looks like Faried got in his head.

Vampirate
11-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Aside from Drummond I don't think anyone takes the Pistons seriously.

monty77
11-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Josh Smith is a PF, and I don't understand why Pistons signed him a huge contract with Monroe and Drummons in the team, because I consider both of them better player than Smith at this point. Maybe Drummons and Josh Smith fit better together because I consider Monroe a center instead of PF.

No wonder this team perform so poorly. Monroe play as PF, but performs better as Center, and J.Smith plays as SF, but performs better as PF. If I where Pistons' GM I would try to trade Monroe in order to sign a good but no starter vet, big man & a starter SF, since Butler and Singler are not enough to fill this place.

When Smith doesn't play any minute as SF, Pistons will reach playoffs. Drummons and Smith make a good partner, and he could short from mid-range because Drummons creates a lot of space. Stan Van Gundy will take advantage of it just like he did with Howard in Orlando. It's clear that J.Smith isn't as good shooter as R.Anderson, but he can short properly large two points shorting.

I don't know what they expect with Monroe's case, but they have handle it really bad. He is going to be free agent next summer and they won't receive anything for him. They should have traded him last year, when the other team have the chance to re-sign him an extension. Now he is not as valuable acquisition because he can leave the team in one year. They have depreciated its own assets.

It will be hard to get good pieces in return, but I think it is possible to get the above-mentioned role players Pistons need yet. I am not asking for a start SF player. He should be better than Singler and Butler, but not an star. Otherwise, there are a lot of big men in the league with cheap contract, capable to play as Center-Power Foward for 20-25 minutes.

Currently, Pistons' 4th big man is Jerebko, who isn't able to catch rebounds properly. Without Monroe he would be the first backup big man player, which would be unacceptable in a playoffs contender team. SG and PG positions are decently covered, so if they hurries, maybe are on time to reach playoffs spots this year.

nycericanguy
11-06-2014, 11:28 AM
I couldn't believe how bad Josh was last night... his jumpers weren't even close, he missed point blank layups, and since when did he become such an awful FT shooter?

And he hasn't hit a 3 all year yet continues to shoot them...rotfl!

Guy has turned into one of the worst rotation players in the league... that's what having a big ego can do. Jennings is next.

xbrackattackx
11-06-2014, 12:27 PM
They should trade Jennings and Smith to Whoever and let DJ and Monroe start. They look better with DJ leading them.

Maybe Jennings and Smith to the Pacers for Copeland,Watson and west. I think Detroit would do addition by subtraction and it would give Pacers some pieces to score. Also west would be and awesome Sixth man with Monroe and Drummond.

IndyRealist
11-07-2014, 09:09 AM

Those people pushing efficiency and analytics would be the successful GMs and coaches. It's no coincidence that the Raptors hired Ujiri, traded Bargs and Gay for scraps, and suddenly became a top East team without changing anything else.