PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley: Lakers couldn't make the NCAA tournament

IKnowHoops
10-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Charles Barkley says the Lakers couldn't make the NCAA tourney. Obviously they are not that bad, but, Now that they have lost Randall and Nash for the season, is it conceivable that they would not win the NCAA tourney, which for an NBA team would be shameful?

goingfor28
10-30-2014, 03:12 PM
They would win

lamzoka
10-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Barkley is just a troll.
The worst NBA team is better than the best NCAA team. Its a different level of competition. The Lakers faces the best players in the world night in and night out. They do this for 82 games 12 quarter minutes.

Throw Kentucky or whoever is the best team in the west, they might not win a single game

Hawkeye15
10-30-2014, 03:21 PM
weird, Barkley has never been known to stir the pot or anything....

The Lakers would beat the best college team by 60 points.

abe_froman
10-30-2014, 03:26 PM
i love how everyone is taking everything so serious and literal

Arch Stanton
10-30-2014, 03:31 PM
:laugh:

tredigs
10-30-2014, 03:35 PM

The Lakers would beat the best college team by 60 points.
They wouldn't for the fact that their D is a legendary level of bad and a top college offense would definitely get theirs, but I mean they'd still win the NCAA tourney in the 1 and done era that we have.

Hawkeye15
10-30-2014, 03:37 PM
They wouldn't for the fact that their D is a legendary level of bad and a top college offense would definitely get theirs, but I mean they'd still win the NCAA tourney in the 1 and done era that we have.

the talent disparity is huge from college to the NBA. The Sixers from last year would have destroyed any college team.

ghettosean
10-30-2014, 03:38 PM

+1

:clap:

Crackadalic
10-30-2014, 03:46 PM
The 2012 bobcats would beat the last 5 ncaa champions.

Sir Charles is just trolling

tredigs
10-30-2014, 03:54 PM
the talent disparity is huge from college to the NBA. The Sixers from last year would have destroyed any college team.

To an extent, but top programs have multiple players who will be contributors in the NBA next season as well as a few others who will play professionally overseas. They're still lacking big time in comparison to NBA teams, but at Kobe's age/level of health he's simply not getting stops against premier NCAA wings who have the speed to blow by him. The Lakers D as a whole is just atrocious. They really wouldn't simply dismantle top programs for that reason.

The best programs from 10+ years ago before 1 and dones would battle these Lakers.

valade16
10-30-2014, 04:08 PM
To an extent, but top programs have multiple players who will be contributors in the NBA next season as well as a few others who will play professionally overseas. They're still lacking big time in comparison to NBA teams, but at Kobe's age/level of health he's simply not getting stops against premier NCAA wings who have the speed to blow by him. The Lakers D as a whole is just atrocious. They really wouldn't simply dismantle top programs for that reason.

The best programs from 10+ years ago before 1 and dones would battle these Lakers.

I agree. The idea that NBA teams are so vastly better than College teams doesn't ring as true to me as the comparison would in the NFL simply because players came out of High School directly into the NBA and at least held their own on numerous occasions. It wasn't like college level players couldn't play at all.

Then look at a team like Kentucky that has like 10 projected future NBA players. Kentucky is essentially an NBA roster if everything clicks.

That being said, Barkley didn't say they couldn't win the tournament, he said they wouldn't even qualify. Obviously they would with ease, but it's not inconceivable to think a team could upset the Lakers in a one and done scenario. It would be a heavy upset but it wouldn't be impossible.

chi-townlove1
10-30-2014, 04:26 PM
Kobe would score 60 on andrew Harrison

SanAntonioSpurs23
10-30-2014, 04:32 PM
Charles Barkley is an idiot. His statement is 100% incorrect.

The Lakers couldn't win the women's NCAA tournament is what he should have said.

:laugh: Lakers
:laugh: Cobie
:laugh: 48 million

TylerSL
10-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Does Barkley even know how ridiculous he sounds?? He is one of the reasons I quit listening to the TNT crew years ago. They all suck on TNT, its no wonder thats the only place he can get a job.

SF8
10-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Without Kobe, Lakers wouldn't win the NCAA tournament. They would lose to top 2 maybe top 3 teams in the tourney.

sheesh
10-31-2014, 12:01 AM
The best NCAA teams have a few NBA quality players.

Everybody in the NBA is an NBA quality player.

Sadds The Gr8
10-31-2014, 12:02 AM
He was just being funny...this **** is seriously a thread?

IKnowHoops
10-31-2014, 01:28 AM
Seems like LA would handle any college team...but then again...the dream team lost to the best college players so...

ink
10-31-2014, 02:52 AM

This.

ichitownclowni
10-31-2014, 03:40 AM
So? Barkley says **** just to get people talking. Like we are right now.

naps
10-31-2014, 04:10 AM
Barkley and Shaq are the worst analysts ever.

Munkeysuit
10-31-2014, 05:00 AM
Chuck is right! but dam thats cold!

85BearsDefense
10-31-2014, 05:13 AM
He's clearly kidding jesus people wake up and smell the coffee

thenaj17
10-31-2014, 06:09 AM
It's either a joke or more likely he's exaggerating to state a point how bad they are in NBA terms...anyone taking it seriously or getting defensive needs to get a grip

PurpleLynch
10-31-2014, 07:49 AM
Barkley is just trolling. Too much disparity on competition.

PurpleLynch
10-31-2014, 07:52 AM
Seems like LA would handle any college team...but then again...the dream team lost to the best college players so...

Lol,a little off topic,but what's up with your agenda? Is Ballmer paying you to remind to anyone that we are ****** right now?It's true,but you haven't to try this hard...4 or 5 threads you created this month are about how the Lakers are bad!

valade16
10-31-2014, 09:08 AM
The best NCAA teams have a few NBA quality players.

Everybody in the NBA is an NBA quality player.

European teams only have a few NBA quality players and manage to beat NBA teams...

And the Kentucky Wildcats have like 10 guys projected to be NBA players. Heck, they probably have more true blue actual NBA quality players than the 76ers lol.

YashBoone
10-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Barkley is not on tv for any other reason then entertainment.
It's exactly why they had him AND reggie do the knicks game on tnt last night.

likemystylez
10-31-2014, 10:28 AM

THIS X infiniti-

Barkleys point was made when we had posters actually start to break down the roster and analyze their strengths and weaknesses.

the sad thing is- they are constantly on national TV- and the west is full of so many great teams where there are great games out west virtually every night.... why force the national audience to watch the lakers and their d league squad

(BTW- please dont compare the lakers to a d league squad- it was a slight exaggeration)

likemystylez
10-31-2014, 10:32 AM
European teams only have a few NBA quality players and manage to beat NBA teams...

And the Kentucky Wildcats have like 10 guys projected to be NBA players. Heck, they probably have more true blue actual NBA quality players than the 76ers lol.

10 is a bit much- but, in college a lot of the players may be projected to be nba level players- but that doesnt mean they could compete on an nba level RIGHT NOW. LOL a lot of times the projections are based on their ceilings or their expected development over the next 3 yrs or so.

European teams have the advantage of being professionals (even if it is at a lower level than the nba)- and having enough collective experience to understand game situations and how to react on the floor to give themselves a chance against superior talent.

Crackadalic
10-31-2014, 10:38 AM
People stay care what this clown says?

IBleedPurple
10-31-2014, 10:45 AM

The Lakers would beat the best college team by 60 points.This. He was joking, and I definitely laughed.

valade16
10-31-2014, 10:55 AM
10 is a bit much- but, in college a lot of the players may be projected to be nba level players- but that doesnt mean they could compete on an nba level RIGHT NOW. LOL a lot of times the projections are based on their ceilings or their expected development over the next 3 yrs or so.

European teams have the advantage of being professionals (even if it is at a lower level than the nba)- and having enough collective experience to understand game situations and how to react on the floor to give themselves a chance against superior talent.

True but a lot of them can absolutely compete on an NBA level. Do you really think Anthony Davis would have bombed out of the league without his 1 year of experience at Kentucky? Many of these guys can hold their own, particularly at a school like Kentucky.

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/college-basketball-2014-15-kentucky-wildcats-team-preview

They had 8 guys who were possible draft picks (and some Like Barnes would've been a top pick) choose to come back. Plus all their other 1 and done talent. I'm not saying they would win, or even they'd win half the time. But the idea that a really, really good college team knocking off a really, really bad NBA team is not farfetched.

IKnowHoops
10-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Lol,a little off topic,but what's up with your agenda? Is Ballmer paying you to remind to anyone that we are ****** right now?It's true,but you haven't to try this hard...4 or 5 threads you created this month are about how the Lakers are bad!

I get what your saying, but its not what you think. I'm not trying to talk about the Lakers because I don't like the lakers. I'm talking about them because they are the Lakers. And Kobe is on the Lakers, an whether winning or loosing the Lakers, Kobe, and Bron are the most interesting subjects in B-ball. The T-wolves, Bucks, and sixes just aren't nearly as popular or interesting.

So yes the Lakers are horrible, yes they are going to have a bad season, but they are still the Lakers. Notice how Charles could of said the same thing about the Wolves, Philly, or the Bucks. But he didn't...why?...cause none really cares. Notice how the Lakers suck, but they are still on national TV back to back to back. They still get on TV like they are a winner.

Doesn't matter what they are doing, they are the Lakers, and Kobe is on the team, so they are going to be front an center whether winning or loosing. Though obviously the narrative will depend on whether they are winning or loosing.

Sorry, thats just the way it is.

IKnowHoops
10-31-2014, 03:31 PM
THIS X infiniti-

Barkleys point was made when we had posters actually start to break down the roster and analyze their strengths and weaknesses.

the sad thing is- they are constantly on national TV- and the west is full of so many great teams where there are great games out west virtually every night.... why force the national audience to watch the lakers and their d league squad

(BTW- please dont compare the lakers to a d league squad- it was a slight exaggeration)

Exactly, they are in our face so...

likemystylez
10-31-2014, 05:17 PM
True but a lot of them can absolutely compete on an NBA level. Do you really think Anthony Davis would have bombed out of the league without his 1 year of experience at Kentucky? Many of these guys can hold their own, particularly at a school like Kentucky.

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/college-basketball-2014-15-kentucky-wildcats-team-preview

They had 8 guys who were possible draft picks (and some Like Barnes would've been a top pick) choose to come back. Plus all their other 1 and done talent. I'm not saying they would win, or even they'd win half the time. But the idea that a really, really good college team knocking off a really, really bad NBA team is not farfetched.

LMAO at comparing any nba prospect to Anthony Davis- possible the best two way big man coming out of college since tim duncan.

But anthony davis would not be a game changing player if he were playing int he NBA when he was 18 yrs old. He has improved a ton since leaving highschool.

Now- seeing as the other pro prospects are not anywhere near anthony davis- they would literally be out of their league if they were in an nba game today