PDA

View Full Version : What is with these new fans that follow players and not a team?

Kicks For Grits
10-30-2014, 11:17 AM
I am talking to you James Blair who doesn't post on these forums....

I mean how can you say 'I'm a Lebron fan, not a fan of a team'.........What kind of douchy fans are parents raising these days?

beasted86
10-30-2014, 11:20 AM
I would spank a child if they jumped on another bandwagon following a player wherever he went.

#realparenting
#corevalues

Lol!

TheIlladelph16
10-30-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure its anyone's place to tell someone else they are enjoying a sporting event incorrectly. I am a Sixers fan, but I also am a fan of multiple players that I always root for as well as the Orlando Magic. What's the difference if someone identifies more with a player than a team?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-30-2014, 11:30 AM
so what?

is it illegal or something lol

Jamiecballer
10-30-2014, 11:32 AM

I mean how can you say 'I'm a Lebron fan, not a fan of a team'.........What kind of douchy fans are parents raising these days?

this isn't new

curtcocaine
10-30-2014, 11:34 AM
He made this thread for kicks.....and grits. Seriously though Warrior fan and I root for Kobe the greastest player from my generation.

c.c.
10-30-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm a Rockets fans before anything! I root for former Rockets players (Carl Landry, Aaron Brooks, Chandler Parsons, Kyle Lowery, Dragic, etc.) and respect great players but whenever any of those guys go against the squad, I WANT THEM DESTROYED!!!!!!

SPURSFAN1
10-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Casual fans. :laugh:

5ass
10-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Lol its just a game, i'll root for whoever I want.

jaydubb
10-30-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm a laker fan but also a fan of several players around the league.. I also like watching the Warriors play. But my interest in my team will always be greater then anything.. I'm not gonna start rooting for the Warriors or root for any team kobe is traded to if he gets traded (which I doubt but jus sayin).. I am a kobe fan and will be even if he's traded but lakers will always be my #1 love in basketball even when they suck (like now)

mike_noodles
10-30-2014, 11:53 AM
There's definitely players that I cheer for. But I do not have a second favorite team.

And before the Raptors came into the league, I only cheered for my favorite players like Larry Johnson and Jamaal Mashburn.

YAALREADYKNO
10-30-2014, 11:55 AM
started with the whole Kobe vs Lebron thing but I think people just want to see a guy who gets so much criticism win. Im a mavs fan but when kobe was making the finals I was going for him so he can prove he can win without shaq and when LeBron made the finals I was going for him so he can shut all the people who kept saying he "cant win a championship" up. Some players you just like their style of play aint nothing wrong with that

ottograham14
10-30-2014, 11:56 AM
As a lifelong Cavs fan that has struggled with a very few others trying to keep the Cavs PSD forum alive the past 4 years I have no issue with it unless that said fan starts addressing the team as "WE" when they clearly didn't like the team last year but now with Lebron love them. If you say "WE" I hate it. That seems to be happening a lot right now in the Cavs PSD forum.

For that matter hate even when actual fans of the team say "WE" like they have a stake in the team or something.

Hawkeye15
10-30-2014, 11:58 AM
this isn't new btw. The only thing that has changed, is increased player movement.

I will always be a Wolves fan, first and foremost. That being said, I absolutely pull for individual players that I like, so long as its not at the expense of my puppies (it always is though)

chi-townlove1
10-30-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm a hardcore fan. I grew up in a family that it was a sin to root for anyone except for the Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Hawks. We're season ticket holders for the Hawks and Bears. I'm sorry but despise the idea of liking more than your ONE team. Also hate following random *** players because they appeal to you for some reason lol. I can understand hoping that a particular player continues to be successful but I never find myself rooting for another team outside of my core four. The Detroit Tigers are the only other team in any major sport that I slightly root for. That's just my theory and the way I was raised.

Jamiecballer
10-30-2014, 12:07 PM
when you are talking about once in a generation, once in a lifetime players i can't see the big deal. i would have been very interested in MJ wherever he went. as i said in my previous post, this isn't new. and hawkeye finished it - it's just player movement that is higher.

SPURSFAN1
10-30-2014, 12:10 PM
As a lifelong Cavs fan that has struggled with a very few others trying to keep the Cavs PSD forum alive the past 4 years I have no issue with it unless that said fan starts addressing the team as "WE" when they clearly didn't like the team last year but now with Lebron love them. If you say "WE" I hate it. That seems to be happening a lot right now in the Cavs PSD forum.

For that matter hate even when actual fans of the team say "WE" like they have a stake in the team or something.

Without the fans, there's no team. That team will move to a better location or just die. I have no problems when people say "we". The fans are a huge part of the puzzle.

ottograham14
10-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Without the fans, there's no team. That team will move to a better location or just die. I have no problems when people say "we". The fans are a huge part of the puzzle.

I get that and respect that as without fans teams would die, just something about saying "WE" when most couldn't play past 3rd grade sports gets me. Its my cross to bear.

goingfor28
10-30-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't see the big deal. I have my favorite team in each sport, but if they're out of it or not playing I still have other players I like to see succeed amd other teams or players I enjoy watching fail

SPURSFAN1
10-30-2014, 12:27 PM
The spurs just gave the whole arena commemorative rings as to say they ARE part of the team. I don't know how other teams go about it, but the spurs really want you to feel a part of the family down here.

IKnowHoops
10-30-2014, 12:52 PM
The reverse is to love a player on your team, then hate him when he leaves and then love him again if he comes back. Many people crap on that kid from cleveland who walked on to the court, (and walking on to the court was idiotic) but I respect the fact that he loved his team, and continued to love Lebron no matter what. Hating or loving a guy just because of the jersey he wears doesn't make any sense to me. Regardless of the team he was on, he is still the same player. Sports aren't life and death, it entertainment.

Years ago Duncan almost went to the Orlando Magic to play with Tmac and Grant Hill. I would of been disappointed that the Spurs didn't have him, but I still would of watched him and cheered for him cause I like the guy, and I like his game.

And another poster nailed it when he said you find yourself cheering for Kobe or Lebron to see them prove the haters wrong. Kobe and Bron are two guys that receive more hate than most teams. So you can expect that they also receive more love than a lot of teams.

Robbw241
10-30-2014, 12:57 PM
I used to feel this way, until I went to college. I never felt as strong for any professional sports team as I did supporting the Pack. I feel no guilt when I say I'll be supporting the Suns more than the Nets from now on. People should support whatever makes them a fan, if that just so happens to be a player than so be it. People should enjoy the sport in whatever way works for them.

raiderfaninTX
10-30-2014, 12:58 PM

I follow players, I accepted liking players only when I stopped caring for the rockets after Olajuwon retired. I would bet my house that my knowledge of basketball exceeds yours.

2-ONE-5
10-30-2014, 01:20 PM
He made this thread for kicks.....and grits. Seriously though Warrior fan and I root for Kobe the greastest player from my generation.

thats fine, most have players they like and want to see succeed but its the ones who act like a die hard of that players team like most James and Kobe fans. Im a die hard Sixers fan but i root for a few players to succeed espically while my team is down. but in the end when it comes to facing my team its **** that guy

2-ONE-5
10-30-2014, 01:29 PM
also i never understood how people pretend o be a die hard of their fav players team or really any team not near their city when the city has a team. I mean how many times did you actually see that player or team play before becoming a fan?

CHANGO
10-30-2014, 06:05 PM
So, you can't follow a player or team(s) that you feel attached to? aight! I mean, I'm from Puerto Rico, I love the HEAT, but with 4 years watching Lebron James play I just felt in "love" with his game, same with Bosh, same with Mike Miller, Battier, all of those guys. That's why you watch the games and that's why you feel attached to a team or player, I also love watching Curry play but everytime the HEAT play against one of those players (Curry, Lebron, Miller etc...) I will root for the HEAt.

abe_froman
10-30-2014, 06:22 PM
i understand it.i have a fav team,but i also have a fav player(joakim noah) and would still follow his career/support him wherever he went as a secondary priority.so i guess its like that,except having no base team to follow

abe_froman
10-30-2014, 06:24 PM
also i never understood how people pretend o be a die hard of their fav players team or really any team not near their city when the city has a team. I mean how many times did you actually see that player or team play before becoming a fan?
there's league pass,the net,ect. its not hard to follow an out of market team

krazylegz
10-30-2014, 06:32 PM
i can only speak for myself...iam a more team over player kinda guy...i was raised that way though...it has its perks,you have an appreciation for the history of the franchise...but the way the nba markets its players and not teams specifically,thats what happens...more like pro wrestling in that manner

lol, please
10-30-2014, 07:09 PM
It's pathetic, to be honest. I can see how international fans do it, as it's not uncommon in futbol, but it's disgraceful as a practice within the confines of USA professional sports, to be one hunnid like a C-note. Simply disgraceful. Anyone who refuses to commit to the pros and cons of being loyal to a franchise gets less respect from me, period.

JasonJohnHorn
10-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Oh who give a flying fawk.

I'm a fan of the game. I like to watch GOOD basketball. I live near Detroit and I'm Canadian, so I'd love to se the Pistons and the Raptors do well, but I'm not going to sit through five years of $#!TTY basketball for one playoff run and NOT watch the Spurs and Heat in the finals and cheer like hell for a guy like Duncan who is just amazing to watch.

There are players on EVERY team that I like and I like to see them all do well. This isn't a 'new' thing. This is how a fan of the game watches. I like to see great teams and great player play great basketball and I cheer for the guys whose style I respect the most. I don't care what jersey they are wearing.

I'm a Bad Boy at heart, but Bucks fans and T-Wolves fans and Magic fans and Kings fans... what are they supposed to do when a player they've watched develop goes to another team and wins? They aren't allowed to cheer for the guy?

2-ONE-5
10-31-2014, 08:59 AM
there's league pass,the net,ect. its not hard to follow an out of market team

yea now there is but im talking about what 10-11 years ago when James came into the league or you (not really you) are a kid and decide you like player X team bcuz you know they win and you seem him/them on sportscenter all the time.

2-ONE-5
10-31-2014, 09:02 AM
Oh who give a flying fawk.

I'm a fan of the game. I like to watch GOOD basketball. I live near Detroit and I'm Canadian, so I'd love to se the Pistons and the Raptors do well, but I'm not going to sit through five years of $#!TTY basketball for one playoff run and NOT watch the Spurs and Heat in the finals and cheer like hell for a guy like Duncan who is just amazing to watch.

There are players on EVERY team that I like and I like to see them all do well. This isn't a 'new' thing. This is how a fan of the game watches. I like to see great teams and great player play great basketball and I cheer for the guys whose style I respect the most. I don't care what jersey they are wearing.

I'm a Bad Boy at heart, but Bucks fans and T-Wolves fans and Magic fans and Kings fans... what are they supposed to do when a player they've watched develop goes to another team and wins? They aren't allowed to cheer for the guy?

i think you missed the point. OP is talking about those fans who attach themselves to a player no matter where they are from, no matter if that player has ever played for their team, etc and try to act like a die hard fan of that team.

Of course most people are gonna follow players that were on their team that they liked, thats common especially with the players that you know are good people too you want to see them succeed. BUT **** them if their success is preventing my team from having any

YashBoone
10-31-2014, 09:05 AM
Worst kind of fan imo