PDA

View Full Version : I want to make it clear. Carmelo Antony is NOT a superstar.......

Kicks For Grits
10-30-2014, 11:15 AM
He is a star and he is an attraction. I am not trolling or looking to stir the Knicks pot here...

Bottom line is he is not worth 25 million a year, but when you are overpaid and your ego is overinflated, you think you are. He talks and talks about how he is the most disrespected superstar in the league.......MELO again you are NOT a superstar. You aren't even a top 15 player in this league.

NYK finally seems to be going in the right direction. They finally seem to realize building a team is more important than having an attraction or two. Even if they trade for Rondo and sign Marc Gasol, they still wont be better than Cleveland or Chicago in the coming years. Neither of those three are superstars, but of that trio....Marc Gasol by far is the best player.

I wish NYK well and the league needs them to be relevant because they have not been in oh say.......15 years at least.

NYJ - NYY
10-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Lol ok

D-Leethal
10-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Quality thread bru.

TheNumber37
10-30-2014, 11:23 AM
He is a star and he is an attraction. I am not trolling or looking to stir the Knicks pot here...

Bottom line is he is not worth 25 million a year, but when you are overpaid and your ego is overinflated, you think you are. He talks and talks about how he is the most disrespected superstar in the league.......MELO again you are NOT a superstar. You aren't even a top 15 player in this league.

NYK finally seems to be going in the right direction. They finally seem to realize building a team is more important than having an attraction or two. Even if they trade for Rondo and sign Marc Gasol, they still wont be better than Cleveland or Chicago in the coming years. Neither of those three are superstars, but of that trio....Marc Gasol by far is the best player.

I wish NYK well and the league needs them to be relevant because they have not been in oh say.......15 years at least.

Clearly...
Melo is not a superstar the same way you are not a GM.

Avenged
10-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks for opening my eyes.

ghettosean
10-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Who won the scoring title last year??? I forget :D

sep11ie
10-30-2014, 11:30 AM

Wow, Melo is on PSD?

DarkKnight
10-30-2014, 11:37 AM

Kicks for **** won it

Jamiecballer
10-30-2014, 11:37 AM
the only person who needs convincing of this is too busy living his far superior life to notice your thread.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-30-2014, 12:00 PM
if he isnt a superstar I dont know what he is :shrug:

chi-townlove1
10-30-2014, 12:05 PM
He is most definitely a superstar. Based solely on his ability to score a basketball, and nothing else what so ever. If you need help understanding that then you don't understand basketball. Is he overpaid? Yes, but who the hell isn't anymore. But you give the option of choosing 10 guys over carmelo and I won't be able to do it. Durant and maybe Steph are the only better scorers in this league. Carmelo can do it all. HATE HIM WITH A PASSION. And he looked AWFUL last night against my bulls. BUT, To say he's not a superstar is insulting.

Lebron
Durant
Carmelo
Steph
Paul

Those guys are superstars. They can take over game by themselves, and that my good sir is a fact. Anthony Davis will be one soon.

YAALREADYKNO
10-30-2014, 12:06 PM

is chris paul a superstar?

Hawkeye15
10-30-2014, 12:15 PM
define superstar

Htownballa1622
10-30-2014, 12:18 PM
One game determination?

lamzoka
10-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Thread of the year! :facepalm:

KINGBAIZE
10-30-2014, 12:30 PM
#seered
#chicago
#bullies
:D

curtcocaine
10-30-2014, 12:33 PM
This guy

WaDe03
10-30-2014, 12:34 PM

Durant.

SportsFanatic10
10-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Durant.

hahaha served

i agree with the op, melo is an elite and gifted scorer and because of that he's a star, but not a super star imo because he doesn't impact the game in enough different ways and pretty much kills ball movement for his team.

InRoseWeTrust
10-30-2014, 12:42 PM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/138488/2669206-ibtl00183f.jpg

Pierzynski4Prez
10-30-2014, 12:46 PM
I don't think he's a Superstar. That name, in my opinion, should be reserved for the top 5 or so players in the league.

Lebron, Paul, Durant are definite superstars. Others are personal opinion on whether they are top 5 or not, such as Westbrook, Love, Curry, Rose (potentially), Blake, AD, Dwight (potentially).

Melo might have been at one point, but there's a handful of players I'd rather have. I'd place him in the All-Star category at this point, one of the better All Stars, but not a superstar.

Sandman
10-30-2014, 12:49 PM
I don't think he's a Superstar. That name, in my opinion, should be reserved for the top 5 or so players in the league.

Lebron, Paul, Durant are definite superstars. Others are personal opinion on whether they are top 5 or not, such as Westbrook, Love, Curry, Rose (potentially), Blake, AD, Dwight (potentially).

Melo might have been at one point, but there's a handful of players I'd rather have. I'd place him in the All-Star category at this point, one of the better All Stars, but not a superstar.

see this is why its a trolly thread

if he said top 5 instead of superstar it'd be a better discussion. I don't think anybody would argue against LeBron, Paul or Durant, and then it gets very tight.

superstar is the buzzword here that makes everyone freak out because everyone has their own definition.

Pierzynski4Prez
10-30-2014, 01:05 PM

if he said top 5 instead of superstar it'd be a better discussion. I don't think anybody would argue against LeBron, Paul or Durant, and then it gets very tight.

superstar is the buzzword here that makes everyone freak out because everyone has their own definition.

The word just gets thrown around way too much, and people get offended on here way to easily if you don't think their player is a Superstar, even though someone might only think the top 3 are superstars, while someone else might think top 20 or something.

BALLER R
10-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Define superstar, I also think off court things also factor into what makes a superstar. Btw why is Chris paul on a higher level than Melo for people that talk about melo not making deep playoff runs. Chris Paul has more talent around him than Melo ever had but doesn't get the same treatment as Melo.

nandovelez
10-30-2014, 01:25 PM
I have LeBron and Durant bonafide superstars and Paul, Anthony,curry,Davis, and love in the next group otherwise just stars. No doubt all are interesting and almost unfair to watch cause they are so much better than anyone else. Paul for me doesn't win enough with that team to be a superstar. And Davis is just crazy great. It sucks to see all these hate threads on the basketball forum. We are seeing some great ball and some people can't just appreciate the players we see today or just like to troll haha

smiddy012
10-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Does Carmelo have "super-star" talent? Of course. Does he have a super-star's ego? For better or worse, no.

Crackadalic
10-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Meh he is still a hell of a player

Even though we got destroyed I'm happy Melo is patient enough to try to make this work. HE actually tried to play within the offense and not force the issue like we did last year.

Learning the triangle is going to take a whileee and when we do Melo will be much more efficient than what he showed last night

jerellh528
10-30-2014, 01:50 PM
sons of anarchy made him a superstar in my eyes, fantastic performance last episode.

More-Than-Most
10-30-2014, 02:06 PM
I define a superstar of being great at all aspects of their position... So I agree with the OP. He can score.... but the Knicks would have been better off letting him go. I said this when it was basically said he was leaving. They wont win anything with him... he will fill seats and that is all

Crackadalic
10-30-2014, 02:36 PM
I define a superstar of being great at all aspects of their position... So I agree with the OP. He can score.... but the Knicks would have been better off letting him go. I said this when it was basically said he was leaving. They wont win anything with him... he will fill seats and that is all

To be fair there is only two superstars. Durant and Lebron. Cp3 is there but he can't be having these playoff failures anymore and AD is on his way but not yet. Everyone else is just all stars.

Besides we have two years of cap space in 2015 and 2016 to build around Melo so I'm not worried about it

Sandman
10-30-2014, 02:44 PM
The word just gets thrown around way too much, and people get offended on here way to easily if you don't think their player is a Superstar, even though someone might only think the top 3 are superstars, while someone else might think top 20 or something.

yup

this is the way I see it

"Superstar" is a popularity thing. Anybody that can sell you a burger or a gatorade is a superstar.

Then you got maybe 3 players you can build any team around, and another 10-15 you could build the right team around.

AIRMAR72
10-30-2014, 03:18 PM
define superstar superstar are players who get it things done CONSISTENTLY they contribution to a franchise fill ALL the column in the stat sheet a superstar plays bigger in games THAT matters a superstar DOMINATE is position offensively and defensively a superstar plays BETTER underpresure a superstar makes their teammates BETTER a superstar shoots a high FG% a superstar plays hard EVERY single game a superstar receive cheers and RESPECT from the opposition during the game and after the game

AIRMAR72
10-30-2014, 03:35 PM
hahaha served

i agree with the op, melo is an elite and gifted scorer and because of that he's a star, but not a super star imo because he doesn't impact the game in enough different ways and pretty much kills ball movement for his team. melo is just the SF version of Kobe you can NEVER win a championship with role players playing along with a high volume shooter that application requires studs who in return have to bend their style of play to suit the high volume shooter

jimm120
10-30-2014, 03:40 PM
superstar are players who get it things done CONSISTENTLY they contribution to a franchise fill ALL the column in the stat sheet a superstar plays bigger in games THAT matters a superstar DOMINATE is position offensively and defensively a superstar plays BETTER underpresure a superstar makes their teammates BETTER a superstar shoots a high FG% a superstar plays hard EVERY single game a superstar receive cheers and RESPECT from the opposition during the game and after the game

Geee...that seems to describe someone.....

Melo gets a lot of flak for not being Lebron, the #1 player in the league. Then they (you know....they....) say he isn't like durant, the #2 player in the league.

He's a top 10 player. That simple. His defense is average, but his defensive awareness is very below average. He'll lose his guy off the ball at least 3 times a game. But on the ball, he's ok. As a help defender, he won't make the player alter his shot, but he has the swipe steal/block that he does effectively.

ewing
10-30-2014, 03:42 PM
stop being so obtuse

abe_froman
10-30-2014, 03:44 PM
he's a superstar,its just he isnt a leader or a "winner".there are tons of superstars that are just based on individual glory.and that failing is even more spotlighted by the situation he's in calls for that.in denver he had strong minded coach and other players to take the mentally tough responsibilities of the team(chauncy,camby,even ai to an extent),whereas the knicks....

D-Leethal
10-30-2014, 05:26 PM
The "he's a star but no superstar!" arguments get me every time. I wonder what constitutes a super-duper star.

Tony_Starks
10-30-2014, 05:28 PM
I love when people say "I'm not trying to troll BUT......"

It's like saying "no disrespect BUT your sisters a prostitute"

Jamiecballer
10-30-2014, 05:36 PM
He's not an elite player but he's pretty close. Not sure what that means though... Is that a superstar or not?

Tony_Starks
10-30-2014, 05:58 PM
The "he's a star but no superstar!" arguments get me every time. I wonder what constitutes a super-duper star.

Or what about a Mega star!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-30-2014, 07:01 PM
I don't see him as a superstar talent, rather he is a superstar player/personality

KnickNyKnick
10-30-2014, 08:43 PM
reverse trollychology this tread :confused:

bucketss
10-30-2014, 08:53 PM
hes looks like garbage so far tonight.

cmellofan15
10-30-2014, 08:53 PM
oh man, this debate has been going since his Denver days

theGhost-isGone
10-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Not a Knicks fan, far from a LBJ hater, but I always liked Carmelo more than LBJ the day they came into the league. Melo put Denver on his back time and time again, practically making me root for him and the Nugs (also a GK fan). He constantly hits big game winning shots and scores a boatload of buckets.

That said, I agree he is overpaid, but he is no doubt a superstar. Pretty one dimensional as his defense is lacking, but he is probably the most talented offensive player in the league as far as scoring is concerned.

Just my 2 cents, typically doesn't mean much on these boards as the majority typically feel their opinion is better than all others.

cssdmark
10-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Damn I knew he was'nt.

Cal827
10-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Well, the OP ain't lying

But the same can pretty much be said for everybody.

IMO, Superstar is what separates the absolute elite from the elite, they guys who can carry their teams pretty much all the way by themselves.

In the past, guys like Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Dirk (Borderline), Dwight (Borderline), and Wade are some of the guys who were the undisputed leaders on the team, and were able to carry the team through the tough.

Players lose the status due to age, or just drop off (although those guys E.g. Dwight could always earn it back).

The only true Superstars in the League right now IMO are Lebron and Durant.

Melo is a star, can become a superstar if he is able to fully elevate his game, but until then, he'll be in the pool of guys who are star players, who we're waiting to see if they can elevate to the next step. E.g. Paul, Irving/Love, Rose, George

P&GRealist
10-30-2014, 10:25 PM
hes looks like garbage so far tonight.

So does your boy tonight

SeoulBeatz
10-30-2014, 10:32 PM
Lmao. While I think the Knicks TEAM is crap. Melo is most definitely a superstar.

He's still a top 2-3 top scorer in this league and a bonafide #1 option. Maybe his defense is lacking but I just think his scoring is so elite that it outweighs his deficiencies on the other side of the ball.

HeatFan
10-30-2014, 10:36 PM
Lmao. While I think the Knicks TEAM is crap. Melo is most definitely a superstar.

He's still a top 2-3 top scorer in this league and a bonafide #1 option. Maybe his defense is lacking but I just think his scoring is so elite that it outweighs his deficiencies on the other side of the ball.

He certainly is. If lack of titles keeps him out of the conversation well then there are very few superstars. I guess it would be interesting to see who the OP considers superstars so we have something tangible to compare.

IDunknown
10-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Not a superstar with the clutch shot in LeBron's face.

Avenged
10-30-2014, 10:42 PM
I'll take this non superstar on my team.

Captain Moroni
10-30-2014, 10:42 PM
And superstar melo puts the nail in Lebrons homecoming celebration.

NYSpirit1
10-30-2014, 10:44 PM
Non superstar Melo iced the game for the Knicks over the most talented team in the NBA...

Crackadalic
10-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Well, the OP ain't lying

But the same can pretty much be said for everybody.

IMO, Superstar is what separates the absolute elite from the elite, they guys who can carry their teams pretty much all the way by themselves.

In the past, guys like Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Dirk (Borderline), Dwight (Borderline), and Wade are some of the guys who were the undisputed leaders on the team, and were able to carry the team through the tough.

Players lose the status due to age, or just drop off (although those guys E.g. Dwight could always earn it back).

The only true Superstars in the League right now IMO are Lebron and Durant.

Melo is a star, can become a superstar if he is able to fully elevate his game, but until then, he'll be in the pool of guys who are star players, who we're waiting to see if they can elevate to the next step. E.g. Paul, Irving/Love, Rose, George

Here we go :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

MELO 15
10-30-2014, 10:59 PM
I'll take this non superstar on my team.

MY BOY! You already know how I feel, Melooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

JustinTime
10-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Melo > Lebron in 2014 so far

Mr Costanza
10-30-2014, 11:02 PM
I love when people say "I'm not trying to troll BUT......"

It's like saying "no disrespect BUT your sisters a prostitute"

...Unicorns are kickass.

Anyone?

bucketss
10-30-2014, 11:02 PM
still not a superstar.

MELO 15
10-30-2014, 11:03 PM
Non superstar Melo iced the game for the Knicks over the most talented team in the NBA...

Did you see how he let the game come to him, you can tell that he is really trying to work with the system. and he shot 50% for the game, and had 6 ast, all that in 34 mins. some people are funny on this thread

jchase3
10-30-2014, 11:26 PM
Carmelo is absolutely a superstar.

QueensG_718
10-31-2014, 12:48 AM
Hows that for a superstar haters

NYKnickFanatic
10-31-2014, 05:35 AM
I don't think non superstars hit shots like that over the best player in the world.

thenaj17
10-31-2014, 06:19 AM

Chris Paul? The guy who's never made it to the finals? Overrated and other than steals, he's a weakness on D.

Durant and LeBron are in a class of their own since Kobe's decline started.

Griffin, Westbrook, Rose, Wall, George, A Davis, Harden all have potential to be superstars (no particular order)

True 'Superstars' have to be someone who can take over a game, impact both ends of the floor and also has the public marketability to have a global impact

clehmun
10-31-2014, 06:20 AM
To me, superstar does not always have to do with the player's game/skills.
Superstars are the guys who have the ability to draw fans, sell tickets/jerseys, and change cities (in all aspects ie. economically) etc.

If you want to talk about who's better than who, save that for the Top 5, Top 10 rankings, Hall of Fame, etc.

In that respect, Melo is a bonafide superstar. More than CP3, Dirk, James Harden, Kevin Love etc.
Doesn't mean he's a better basketball player than them. Just means that if I'm Nike, Gatorade, McDonald's etc and I have 100 million to spend, I'd call up Melo's agent before CP3, Dirk, Harden, Love.

Wade, Rose, Kobe are also superstars RIGHT NOW in that regards no matter how much their games have changed.

That's just how I define superstar. Skills and on court performance has a lot to do with it because no one cares about you if you suck. But to me, "superstar" has more to do with your marketability.

YashBoone
10-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Amount of time spent thinking before making this thread ..... 0

JesusNYY_Savior
10-31-2014, 09:20 AM
If love is a superstar then so is Melo. They are the same player. And I would take Melo over him on defense

PhillyFaninLA
10-31-2014, 10:11 AM
yup

this is the way I see it

"Superstar" is a popularity thing. Anybody that can sell you a burger or a gatorade is a superstar.

Then you got maybe 3 players you can build any team around, and another 10-15 you could build the right team around.

The 15 years old at burger king can sell me a burger, the cashier at 7 11 can sell me a gatorade

Seizabmc
10-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Yeah but that 15 year old at Burger King can't make a clutch shot over the best player in the world to help win the game.

Seizabmc
10-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Not to mention in the biggest game of the world ever!!!!!!

Seizabmc
10-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Superstars show up in big games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandman
10-31-2014, 10:28 AM
The 15 years old at burger king can sell me a burger, the cashier at 7 11 can sell me a gatorade

:violin:

D-Leethal
10-31-2014, 10:49 AM
To me, superstar does not always have to do with the player's game/skills.
Superstars are the guys who have the ability to draw fans, sell tickets/jerseys, and change cities (in all aspects ie. economically) etc.

If you want to talk about who's better than who, save that for the Top 5, Top 10 rankings, Hall of Fame, etc.

In that respect, Melo is a bonafide superstar. More than CP3, Dirk, James Harden, Kevin Love etc.
Doesn't mean he's a better basketball player than them. Just means that if I'm Nike, Gatorade, McDonald's etc and I have 100 million to spend, I'd call up Melo's agent before CP3, Dirk, Harden, Love.

Wade, Rose, Kobe are also superstars RIGHT NOW in that regards no matter how much their games have changed.

That's just how I define superstar. Skills and on court performance has a lot to do with it because no one cares about you if you suck. But to me, "superstar" has more to do with your marketability.

That is indeed what the word means in a general sense. Melo is one of the biggest brands in the NBA and one of the most recognizable in all of sports.

The argument is so very stupid though. Arguing over whether or not someone is super anything is super rudy gay.

IBleedPurple
10-31-2014, 10:56 AM
Does Carmelo have "super-star" talent? Of course. Does he have a super-star's ego? For better or worse, no.I would have to say he does have a superstars ego.

As for ranking, defining superstar is like defining elite.

Seizabmc
10-31-2014, 11:10 AM
I am going to save this thread,

And then when melo and the knicks learn the triangle in and out I'm going to love to bring this thread back up .

Melo will show you all who a super star really is.

Nycbball08
10-31-2014, 11:16 AM

63 posts you shouldn't even be able to start a thread!!!

Tysons_Beard
10-31-2014, 11:36 AM
lmao /thread

deaner
10-31-2014, 12:32 PM
I am going to save this thread,

And then when melo and the knicks learn the triangle in and out I'm going to love to bring this thread back up .

Melo will show you all who a super star really is.

Dude you are super positive. ps. That's not a good thing. You need more reality in your perspective.

JordansBulls
10-31-2014, 02:31 PM
This is the year that Melo shows the world who the best player is in the 2003 draft class.

Sandman
10-31-2014, 03:08 PM
This is the year that Melo shows the world who the best player is in the 2003 draft class.

He's getting a King James tat?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-31-2014, 03:15 PM
I don't think non superstars hit shots like that over the best player in the world.

That must have made a declining 34 year old Pierce a super duper star in 2012 when he hit that shot in game five, amirite?

Sandman
10-31-2014, 03:53 PM
That must have made a declining 34 year old Pierce a super duper star in 2012 when he hit that shot in game five, amirite?

once you get stabbed in the face, you lose superstar status

Captain Moroni
10-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Non superstars don't guest star on SOA!!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-31-2014, 05:47 PM
once you get stabbed in the face, you lose superstar status

:laugh2:

GiantsSwaGG
10-31-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm a superstar

Cal827
11-01-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm a superstar

:laugh:

Well obviously