PDA

View Full Version : Are the Lakers Cursed?

PurpleJesus
10-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Melo didnt sign with them in the offseason, and now Randle got hurt.

Tony_Starks
10-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Injuries happen. The only curse the Lakers have is Jimmy Buss....

PurpleJesus
10-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Injuries happen. The only curse the Lakers have is Jimmy Buss....

so yes?

numba1CHANGsta
10-29-2014, 05:29 PM
it's the Jim Buss curse, Jeanie is the one who's suppose to take over not him

Vinny642
10-29-2014, 05:30 PM
With however many championships they have.... NO they arent cursed.

lamzoka
10-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Cursed? How many rings do they have again?

I dont think they're cursed, but i have a feeling they're about to go on a 20+ years of championship drought. They're about to turn into the new Knicks. You have bunch idiots running that team. J. Buss was quoted the other day saying "I want Kobe to sign another contract after 2016."

They're should realize that the Kobe era is over. Let the man retired. And build the team through the draft and Free agency. No superstar will ever sign with them as long as Kobe is still playing.

PurpleJesus
10-29-2014, 05:33 PM
they also lost the 2011 championship which made Phil Jackson leave...curse?

goingfor28
10-29-2014, 05:36 PM
With however many championships they have.... NO they arent cursed.
This

bucketss
10-29-2014, 05:38 PM
just a few weeks ago, i saw some laker fans talking about making the playoffs.

PurpleJesus
10-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Here is a list I saw a Lakers fan comprise of why they are cursed

Got humiliated by the Mavs in 2011 playoffs and Phil retired.
Got Nash but Grandpa barely contributed.
Got Howard but couldn't keep him(first ever star in Lakers history to leave via FA).
Worst team record since 1960s.
Kobe, the previous invincible ironman, got devastated by injuries, alongside with his “D-league teammates”--Wesley Johnson, Jordan Farmar, etc. Now, our top pick ,Randle, got hurt too.
Based on what we have endured over the past few years, we are basically cursed.

and then another fan chimed in with

Don't forget the CP3 veto trade by Stern which rarely ever happens. Also missing out on big FA's like Melo and the horrible coaches (D'Antoni and Brown)

So, the evidence is pretty evident.

numba1CHANGsta
10-29-2014, 05:40 PM
they also lost the 2011 championship which made Phil Jackson leave...curse?

???????

PurpleJesus
10-29-2014, 05:41 PM
^sorry playoffs, not championship.

jerellh528
10-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Not cursed. But that cp3 veto drastically altered the franchise. Had that veto not happened we would have a VERY different lakers team today, maybe even one that had a few extra banners hanging right now.

PurpleJesus
10-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Not cursed. But that cp3 veto drastically altered the franchise. Had that veto not happened we would have a VERY different lakers team today, maybe even one that had a few extra banners hanging right now.

If CP3 did sign with them, would they be cursed after Kobe retired?

Bruno
10-29-2014, 05:50 PM
the mojo seemed to flip after the Paul trade. one of the biggest blunder of Sterns tenure in the NBA. not because he blocked it, but because he failed to block it before it went public. before it ruined a few careers. before it totally screwed over the Lakers ability to keep control over the situation. LAL is still recovering.

the Lakers are in a tough place, but remember the 90s? no titles from 1988-2000. these things happen. I am quite bitter, but mainly because the Lakers had to pay for 1/3rd of the NBAs failure front offices last year. The Lakers paid the rest of the league 50M dollars last season. I call it welfare for billionaires.

as far as I'm concerned, as long as the rest of the league is accepting Laker money to stay in the green, were still daddy. how could you guys live yourselves as fans? If i knew that Laker success came at the hands of the Celtics giving us money, I'd throw up.

i also want to see the clippers get out of the second round before I anoint them anything. if the clippers fail to do that, nobody will care about the excitement from their era a decade from now. but for now the mojo seems to be flipped, no doubt about it.

Go Los Angeles.

Kevj77
10-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Cursed not yet. They are poorly run and have had a string of bad luck. It's going to take a few years to turn it around something a lot of Lakers fans haven't had to experience. Being poorly run can become a curse I'd know I'm also a Oakland Raiders fan.

bluefire7002
10-29-2014, 05:53 PM
If CP3 did sign with them, would they be cursed after Kobe retired?

I'm sure they would have had a good supporting cast around cp3 after Kobe retired at that point. I'm sure they would have payed Kobe a lot less at that point also since there would be less cap room.

RLundi
10-29-2014, 06:14 PM
the mojo seemed to flip after the Paul trade. one of the biggest blunder of Sterns tenure in the NBA. not because he blocked it, but because he failed to block it before it went public. before it ruined a few careers. before it totally screwed over the Lakers ability to keep control over the situation. LAL is still recovering.

the Lakers are in a tough place, but remember the 90s? no titles from 1988-2000. these things happen. I am quite bitter, but mainly because the Lakers had to pay for 1/3rd of the NBAs failure front offices last year. The Lakers paid the rest of the league 50M dollars last season. I call it welfare for billionaires.

as far as I'm concerned, as long as the rest of the league is accepting Laker money to stay in the green, were still daddy. how could you guys live yourselves as fans? If i knew that Laker success came at the hands of the Celtics giving us money, I'd throw up.

i also want to see the clippers get out of the second round before I anoint them anything. if the clippers fail to do that, nobody will care about the excitement from their era a decade from now. but for now the mojo seems to be flipped, no doubt about it.

Go Los Angeles.

:rolleyes:

Reaching much? It appears you are grasping at straws trying to find some way, any way to maintain relevancy in a spotlight. How does the bolded affect competition? It doesn't. Fact is, Los Angeles is a huge market and the Lakers are a popular team, so even if what you say is true -- and it's a bit doubtful -- it's to be expected on some levels.

Your throw-up comment is a pretty drastic over-exaggeration also. Honestly, it kinda just sounds like you're angry because you deem this season as futile for the Lakers.

ManningToTyree
10-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Lol

Bruno
10-29-2014, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE]Reaching much? It appears you are grasping at straws trying to find some way, any way to maintain relevancy in a spotlight. How does the bolded affect competition? It doesn't. Fact is, Los Angeles is a huge market and the Lakers are a popular team, so even if what you say is true -- and it's a bit doubtful -- it's to be expected on some levels.
being bad for a few years doesn't impact the relevance of Laker basketball. just ask all the teams who took some of the $50 million that the Lakers contributed to the revenue sharing pot if the Lakers impact on the NBA is irrelevant. of course the Lakers aren't going to have an on court impact this season. they're still footing the bill.

what's a bit doubtful about it? the Lakers paid $50M dollars to the NBA pot, it's a fact.

Your throw-up comment is a pretty drastic over-exaggeration also.
of course it was.

Honestly, it kinda just sounds like you're angry because you deem this season as futile for the Lakers.I have bitterness which I've already admitted as a fan. but i'm serious, if the Celtics contributed financially to Laker success I'd have a problem with it. it's pride.

Tony_Starks
10-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Teams go through cycles. I survived the Sedale Threat days only to see more banners. I survived the Smush Parker era only to attend more championship parades. Unfortunately when you've been a contender or champion for the better part of 3 decades you take it for granted.

People are going to want to kick us while we're down and that's fine. One of the greatest franchises in sports won't be down for long. I can take the bad with the good. Eventually Buss will be forced to step aside....

Bruno
10-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Teams go through cycles. I survived the Sedale Threat days only to see more banners. I survived the Smush Parker era only to attend more championship parades. Unfortunately when you've been a contender or champion for the better part of 3 decades you take it for granted.

People are going to want to kick us while we're down and that's fine. One of the greatest franchises in sports won't be down for long. I can take the bad with the good....
i'm already use to it.

well said.

Jumba
10-29-2014, 06:55 PM
God, Laker fans already reaching for everyone to massage their ego's after one game?

Hawkeye15
10-29-2014, 07:28 PM
here was my post when the Laker fan started crying in the other thread:

1949- win finals
1950- won finals
1952- won finals
1953- won finals
1954- won finals
1972- won finals
1980- won finals
1982- won finals
1987- won finals
1988- won finals
2000- won finals
2001- won finals
2002- won finals
2010- won finals
2011- won finals

Haven't missed the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Ever.

Get the **** out of here with your cursed talk. You wonder why people hate the Lakers? Well, your whiny post is a big reason why..

The Lakers are going to miss the playoffs in consecutive seasons for the first time. EVER. Did you read that? EVER.

**** any Laker fan who thinks their team is cursed.

Bruno
10-29-2014, 07:31 PM
God, Laker fans already reaching for everyone to massage their ego's after one game?

that started last year man.

Bruno
10-29-2014, 07:34 PM

The Lakers are going to miss the playoffs in consecutive seasons for the first time. EVER. Did you read that? EVER.

somehow the Lakers made the playoffs with 39 wins in 1993 as an 8th seed. I thought I remembered two bad years of Laker basketball in the 90's but that '93 team squeezed in you're right.

i agree with your point too.

SportsFanatic10
10-29-2014, 07:42 PM
lol cursed? please, they're just going through a rough patch. something their fans aren't used to compared to the rest of the league's fans in general.

Avenged
10-29-2014, 07:43 PM

1949- win finals
1950- won finals
1952- won finals
1953- won finals
1954- won finals
1972- won finals
1980- won finals
1982- won finals
1987- won finals
1988- won finals
2000- won finals
2001- won finals
2002- won finals
2010- won finals
2011- won finals

Haven't missed the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Ever.

Get the **** out of here with your cursed talk. You wonder why people hate the Lakers? Well, your whiny post is a big reason why..

You sound really mad. It's not that serious.

L8kers4life
10-29-2014, 07:53 PM

Ease up Hawkeye, I agree with you, the Lakers are not cursed. But the Lakers are definitely having some bad luck lately.

For anyone who thinks Lakers fan should not be upset right now is crazy. Just imagine every single thing that has been written about the lakers in the last few years. If we believe in our team, fan boards say and the media says get over it, the lakers suck.

Every one hates kobe in the media and the boards. So trying to be happy to have him back is impossible, because according to anyone that is not a player in the league, nobody wants to play with Kobe, Kobe is over rated, Kobe ruined the franchise and he is washed up so what does it matter.

We had a horrible season last year and we finally had something to be optimistic about with Randle, and he breaks his leg first NBA game.

We can't tank cuz we will probably lose our pick anyway to phoenix. Our owner is an idiot, our GM has lost touch with reality. We have no talent.

So yeah, if we want to complain who the heck cares, most fans are just venting. But every one on this site, seems to know everything and have made it impossible to like are own team. Quit taking everything so personal, if Lakers fan wants to think there cursed, let them think that, why does it have to affect you so bad you start calling laker fan names. It's getting ridiculous.

Today is a tough day to be a Lakers fan.

Tony_Starks
10-29-2014, 08:00 PM

OP isn't a Laker fan btw. As you see by the different post us Laker fans know we have to take our lumps...

Duncan = Donkey
10-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Why? Cause they have sucked for what 2 seasons? LOL. No they are not cursed.

iliketurtles24
10-29-2014, 11:05 PM
lol, try being a wolves fan... (not directed at you pj, just in general)

PurpleJesus
10-30-2014, 12:12 AM

But Carmelo wouldnt sign with them, if they arent cursed, how do you explain that?

Chrisclover
10-30-2014, 12:36 AM
But Carmelo wouldnt sign with them, if they arent cursed, how do you explain that?
Stop being so sarcastic, man.
Everything that could go wrong all went wrong and few people predicted that, which was what I meant in the first place. Saying the team is cursed may seem an exaggeration but hey, Lakers fans are used to victories. Blame Dr Buss for spoiling Lakers fans in the past. We are now facing a brand-new and tough era.

PurpleJesus
10-30-2014, 01:09 AM
Everything that could go wrong all went wrong and few people predicted that, which was what I meant in the first place. Saying the team is cursed may seem an exaggeration but hey, Lakers fans are used to victories. Blame Dr Buss for spoiling Lakers fans in the past. We are now facing a brand-new and tough era.

I wasnt exaggerating, read the quote on page one from a Laker fan who used Carmelo not signing as evidence the Lakers are cursed.

SF8
10-30-2014, 01:39 AM
This thread need to get locked up. Its ridiculous. The Lakers have either won or been in the NBA Finals like at least 75% of the time this decade and they want to talk about being cursed?

OP is trolling fans of teams who have never even made NBA Finals or even conference finals.

PurpleJesus
10-30-2014, 02:03 AM
This thread need to get locked up. Its ridiculous. The Lakers have either won or been in the NBA Finals like at least 75% of the time this decade and they want to talk about being cursed?

OP is trolling fans of teams who have never even made NBA Finals or even conference finals.
I am a Timberwolves fan.

iliketurtles24
10-30-2014, 08:37 AM

I am a Timberwolves fan.

Lol He is doing just the opposite. Go Wolves!

IBleedPurple
10-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Kobe, Lakers. Lakers, Kobe. Forget 1,000 posts per thread, we might hit 1,000 threads about them before the season is over.

Lakers cursed lmao.

Hawkeye15
10-30-2014, 09:50 AM
You sound really mad. It's not that serious.

it be that serious

Hawkeye15
10-30-2014, 09:52 AM
OP isn't a Laker fan btw. As you see by the different post us Laker fans know we have to take our lumps...

OP is literally making fun of whiny Laker fans who think life is rough....

Be a fan of any of the other roughly 125 pro teams in the major sports. Your fan life is worse with each, and every team. That is the point my man.

Hawkeye15
10-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Laker fans crying about the tough times is like when we read Tom Cruise was hurting that Katie Holmes left him.

Boo hoo

JasonJohnHorn
10-30-2014, 10:23 AM
There are 28 other teams who Melo didn't sign with and all of them are dealing with injuries.

Given that no team in the league has more championship than the Lakers, I'm going with no, they are not cursed. How can you be the most successful team in the history of the league and be cursed?

Even in recent context they aren't cursed. They trade Bynum for the best center in the league just before he had what amounted to a career ending injury. They lose Gasol but they pick up Boozer. They get a DPOY just sign with them at a discount, then have the best shooter at the point guard position trade to them for draft picks.... yeah... Nash got injured and Howard left, but hey...

If anything, the Randle injury helps them because their draft pick (which goes to the Suns) is top five-protected, so the worse they are this year, the more likely it is they actually get to keep their pick.

It's pretty bad when missing the playoffs for one season is viewed as a curse when 9 other have missed the playoffs for consecutive seasons and over half the teams in the league have never even won a title.

mike_noodles
10-30-2014, 11:54 AM
I have personally witnessed them win 5 ships since I started watching basketball around 1991. Hard to that they're cursed.

mjt20mik
10-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Cursed no. Bad luck sure. Poor FO decisions, hell yeah!

pebloemer
10-30-2014, 12:56 PM

But you understand the contradiction right?

PurpleLynch
10-30-2014, 01:25 PM
No,we are not. We are the most succesful team of the Nba post Celtics '60 decade and maybe in the entire Nba's history. We are very unlucky in these recent years,but another championship and we are tied to Boston. So definitely not cursed. Still,I think this decade will be like the '90 for us,but you have to consider that a lot of team never reached the Finals(nor the Conference Finals),so I can't complain.
The only thing that I have to complain is that in recent years we played real ****** bball.

Bruno
10-30-2014, 05:24 PM
i have a friend who loves the Cubs.

he reminded me that a few bad seasons is nothing compared to a century of failure and disappointment.

the cubs are cursed. the Lakers are rebuilding.

85BearsDefense
10-30-2014, 05:27 PM
16 rings and they're cursed, yup makes sense, another great NBA thread.