PDA

View Full Version : Spurs & Kawhi Leonard far apart on Contract Extension; Leonard wants Max Contract

P&GRealist
10-27-2014, 02:01 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--no-progress-in-extension-talks-between-kawhi-leonard--spurs-050509203.html

He has until midnight eastern 10/31 to accept their offer, but he's looking for the max. If he doesn't sign the extension he'll be a Restricted free agent next summer, where he will be expected to demand the max.

force_within
10-27-2014, 02:23 AM
la fans getting excited right now..

Gibby
10-27-2014, 02:24 AM
I don't think he leaves because the spurs can match. they will end up paying him max or close to it. They have to, spurs overpayed guys like splitter and diaw and Kawhi is more valuable than anyone on that team.

tredigs
10-27-2014, 03:38 AM
This is the exact same situation Klay is in with the Warriors. The bottom line is that the organizations are trying to play hard ball, but from other signings we've already seen that they will go for their max in the off-season (which, in both cases the teams can still match).

IndyRealist
10-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Teams really do not have any incentive to extend guys for the Bird rights max. If they let him get to restricted free agency and another team offers him a deal, it would still be less than what the Spurs could offer. RFA is such a joke.

FlashBolt
10-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Lol.. Another case of someone who shouldn't get close to the max. Max should be reserved for players who have established themselves as a clear first option and someone who can elevate or have an incredible impact on a team. Klay/Kawhi are not max players. They simply haven't proven anything and though that can be based off their team roster being great, this is just absurd. NBA has become a joke in regards to how they work out contracts. I cannot even stand to think Kawhi is a max. What has he done?

jericho
10-27-2014, 11:24 AM
I think he is overrating himself asking for the max.

SanAntonioSpurs23
10-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Leonard isn't going anywhere

BALLER R
10-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Lol.. Another case of someone who shouldn't get close to the max. Max should be reserved for players who have established themselves as a clear first option and someone who can elevate or have an incredible impact on a team. Klay/Kawhi are not max players. They simply haven't proven anything and though that can be based off their team roster being great, this is just absurd. NBA has become a joke in regards to how they work out contracts. I cannot even stand to think Kawhi is a max. What has he done?

I agree with you but the its not even about the players themselves anymore. It's more about the market and what others got. If Klay can ask for the max then Kawhi can ask for it too. I would give Kawhi a max before I give Klay to be honest. You won a championship with Ginobili, Parker and Duncan and you got finals MVP that holds some weight, or atleast that's probably what his agent thinks.

Sactown
10-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Sucks for KL teams won't throw money at him knowing the spurs will match because all it will do is tie up cap they can't use until the spurs decide to match.. Teams usually can't afford to leave a max amount of salary stuck in limbo during free agency for a week

kdspurman
10-27-2014, 11:53 AM

If you don't think Kawhi has an incredible impact on the Spurs i'm not sure what you're watching. And to say he hasn't proven anything is also a bit of a stretch.

But I do agree with you though that some of these max contracts are out of hand, and when you see certain guys getting max contracts, then other guys will want it to who maybe aren't so deserving. I think the Spurs will wait and see what Kawhi does this year, to determine what kind of contract to give him. In either case, I don't think he's going anywhere.

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-27-2014, 12:07 PM

Spanking Lebron ***, and dethroning him is worth the max.

FlashBolt
10-27-2014, 12:09 PM
If you don't think Kawhi has an incredible impact on the Spurs i'm not sure what you're watching. And to say he hasn't proven anything is also a bit of a stretch.

But I do agree with you though that some of these max contracts are out of hand, and when you see certain guys getting max contracts, then other guys will want it to who maybe aren't so deserving. I think the Spurs will wait and see what Kawhi does this year, to determine what kind of contract to give him. In either case, I don't think he's going anywhere.

Incredible to me means the variation of LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, etc.. Kawhi has an impact but it's not a "tremendous" one at that. He hasn't proven anything other than that his Spurs squad completely dismantled Miami from A>Z in the Finals. The best players in the NBA Finals were from this order: LeBron>Kawhi>Tim Duncan>Manu>Tony Parker.. No one in the Heat roster other than James were in the top 5. You simply can't dispute that Kawhi just happens to be on a really great team and while he can showcase his skills more in a team that lacks depth, he will also be exposed for his inconsistencies. Anyone can look good playing for the Spurs just like a lot of players looked amazing player under Nash's Suns. He's not a max player and his impact does not represent a max player.

SPURSFAN1
10-27-2014, 12:12 PM

Guess you missed where he made durbeta his bi atch and he was the best player in the finals.

SPURSFAN1
10-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Incredible to me means the variation of LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, etc.. Kawhi has an impact but it's not a "tremendous" one at that. He hasn't proven anything other than that his Spurs squad completely dismantled Miami from A>Z in the Finals. The best players in the NBA Finals were from this order: LeBron>Kawhi>Tim Duncan>Manu>Tony Parker.. No one in the Heat roster other than James were in the top 5. You simply can't dispute that Kawhi just happens to be on a really great team and while he can showcase his skills more in a team that lacks depth, he will also be exposed for his inconsistencies. Anyone can look good playing for the Spurs just like a lot of players looked amazing player under Nash's Suns. He's not a max player and his impact does not represent a max player.

I don't think you know how the NBA works. Kawhi 1 FMVP> Durbeta zero rings.

FlashBolt
10-27-2014, 12:16 PM
I agree with you but the its not even about the players themselves anymore. It's more about the market and what others got. If Klay can ask for the max then Kawhi can ask for it too. I would give Kawhi a max before I give Klay to be honest. You won a championship with Ginobili, Parker and Duncan and you got finals MVP that holds some weight, or atleast that's probably what his agent thinks.

I agree with this argument but this is one of the reasons why the max contract has become increasingly popular amongst free agents. When you have one guy getting the max, another guy goes thinking "I can get that too." And with Spurs loyalty, they are probably going to give him something close to the max. The players union needs to do something about this because they are setting a bad example for everyone. It's a ploy to receive as much money as possible seeing as if you start at the max, you can only negotiate down less whereas if you started at a lower principle amount. "Bledsoe wants max, Rubio wants max, Thompson wants max." This has become a trend where their agents are strategically taking advantage of the market. The only way I can think of a max player is someone who generates an absurd amount of money for a franchise, someone who I can hear of "max contract" and not even think twice.. Only about ten players deserve that title. I mean for Christ's sake.. Rubio was demanding a max. You can't possibly think this isn't becoming a trend.

Ezio
10-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Parsons/Heyward got maxed why can't Klay and Leonard too?

kdspurman
10-27-2014, 12:29 PM

The Spurs without Leonard on the court struggle. Small sample size, but in the 16 games he missed last year, they were 8-8. Now he is not asked to do what James/Durant/Paul do cause he's a different kind of player. But he has a tremendous impact on the team. Without him, they lose their best/most versatile defender and probably 2nd best rebounder on the team.

He is not just a product of the system. 1 of Pop's biggest compliments of Kawhi is his work ethic. He is a very hard worker and if you watched him from his first year here, you can see the development. Coming into the league, one of the biggest knocks on him was he couldn't shoot.

From draft express:

Leonard is not only an average ball-handler, but he also struggles to make shots consistently from beyond the arc. His 0.743 points per shots on jumpers ranks 16th of 17 in the class, where he shot an abysmal 31% from the field. His struggles extend both to his catch and shoot jumpers (32%) and pull-ups (28%).

He has worked with the Spurs shooting coach (who also did wonders for Parker's jump shot) a ton and you can see how much his shot has improved from year 1 to now. Reading that bit and seeing how he is now as a shooter and a catch and shoot shooter shows the progress he's made.

Rookie season: http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=202695&Season=2011-12

Last season: http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=202695&Season=2013-14

The development process for the Spurs players that have potential take longer. It wasn't until like Parker's 5th year that he really started coming into his own. This is Kawhi's 4th year. I'd look for Pop to raise his minutes a bit (he only plays a hair under 30 per game) and Kawhi to either capitalize on his opportunities, or not. And depending on what he does, will determine the kind of contract the Spurs want to give him.

Corey
10-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Parsons/Heyward got maxed why can't Klay and Leonard too?

They can, they just dont deserve it. Max players should be first option, two-way players that can carry a team IMO. Sucks that teams are forced to throw them out to 2nd/3rd options that cant carry a team.

Ezio
10-27-2014, 12:50 PM
They can, they just dont deserve it. Max players should be first option, two-way players that can carry a team IMO. Sucks that teams are forced to throw them out to 2nd/3rd options that cant carry a team.

Yeah but their agents see those numbers are thinking why the **** not ask for max first.

JordansBulls
10-27-2014, 12:56 PM
They need to get this guy the max after outplaying the 2nd best player in the league in the finals last season.

TheNumber37
10-27-2014, 12:57 PM
At this point in his career, for what he does. He can at least get Bledsoe Money.

But, I would pay 14 mil per for him. I think 60 mil for 5years is a great deal for the Spurs and Leonard though.

waveycrockett
10-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Leonard isn't worth a max contract. He is a number 3 scoring option at best. Great defender but you can't build a team around him. He is a complimentary piece.

Htownballa1622
10-27-2014, 01:11 PM
I don't blame him. Parsons/Hayward are getting it and they're arguably lesser players.

None of them are "MAX" guys like a Lebron or Durant.

He's 23 though so I don't blame him for wanting to take advantage of the system. He'll get paid and he won't leave spurs unless they wanted to trade him.

Htownballa1622
10-27-2014, 01:12 PM
They need to get this guy the max after outplaying the 2nd best player in the league in the finals last season.

I'll bite. :p

Durant wasn't in the finals last year though. :D

Burkey3472
10-27-2014, 01:36 PM
He's not worth the max but they need to resign him. With Duncan and Ginobili close to retirement they are going to have to start building the team around him and an aging Parker. If they end up losing him/Ginobili/Duncan in a 2-3 year span they will fall apart.

nycericanguy
10-27-2014, 01:38 PM
They need to get rid of the MAX already, It's a joke, basically any decent young player gets MAX now.

Take away the max, keep the salary cap... much better league. Stop the teaming up... and stars get paid like they should. Instead you have Gordon Haywood and Lebron getting the same deals... ridiculous. I don't know why CP3 and the players union agreed to that.

5ass
10-27-2014, 01:41 PM

Lmao you can't be that stupid.

RiLoc
10-27-2014, 02:52 PM
"You never get what you deserve; only what you have the leverage to negotiate." -Jalen Rose

Whether Kawhi fits what people believe to be a max player is irrelevant. Kawhi will get a restricted offer from someone for the max and the Spurs will match it.

IKnowHoops
10-27-2014, 03:02 PM

Sometimes I think "Max" gets taken out of context. He's not getting Kobe's max or Lebron's max or Carmelo's max. He's getting a max that is deemed for a player that has played for a short amount of time. I think some of these young guys that are making the "Max" are actually getting what there value is. But in a situation like Lebron, he's always been way more valuable than his max. Not saying that Kawai is worth his "max", but lets not confuse his max, with the Max that a Melo, Bosh, LMA can receive.

Corey
10-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Yeah but their agents see those numbers are thinking why the **** not ask for max first.

Oh for sure. I dont blame players and agents looking for the most money, it just stinks.

alexander_37
10-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Can you blame someone for asking for max? Does he get it is the question ( I say no.)

bucketss
10-27-2014, 04:45 PM

you would take leonard over durant?

Vee-Rex
10-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Don't blame him nor his agent seeking the max. I would too.

Still, doesn't mean he's a max player. One of the most overrated players in the league, IMO.

Sanjay
10-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Don't blame him nor his agent seeking the max. I would too.

Still, doesn't mean he's a max player. One of the most overrated players in the league, IMO.

But he basically defended LeBron out of the Finals?

Verbal Christ
10-27-2014, 05:14 PM
If Chandler Parsons got the max it should be a no brainer to give Leonard the max who is head and shoulders a better player.

Sanjay
10-27-2014, 05:15 PM

Kawhi didn't win the Finals by himself and Durant is basically part of a two-man team at the Thunder and with Westbrook's sometimes erratic shooting he is the only consistent scorer on that team.

Jamiecballer
10-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Let him walk or trade his ***.

kdspurman
10-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Let him walk or trade his ***.

There's no rush to sign the contract now. Pop wouldn't repeatedly refer to him as the face of the franchise and let him walk. He'll get his max contract I imagine, what is up in the air is the $ amount I'd imagine.

Vinylman
10-27-2014, 06:24 PM
pay the man his money

mrblisterdundee
10-27-2014, 06:29 PM
This is the exact same situation Klay is in with the Warriors. The bottom line is that the organizations are trying to play hard ball, but from other signings we've already seen that they will go for their max in the off-season (which, in both cases the teams can still match).

I wouldn't put Klay Thompson at the same level as reigning finals MVP Kawhi Leonard.

HeatFan
10-27-2014, 06:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--no-progress-in-extension-talks-between-kawhi-leonard--spurs-050509203.html

He has until midnight eastern 10/31 to accept their offer, but he's looking for the max. If he doesn't sign the extension he'll be a Restricted free agent next summer, where he will be expected to demand the max.

Like I've said with other recent free-agent signings, I think Max is way too much for Leonard. I respect his game and all but he is a product of the system. A system where you can basically plug anyone in and it continues to work. He is not franchise changer like Duncan was.

IKnowHoops
10-27-2014, 06:38 PM

Yeah he held Bron to 28 /8/4 on 57% shooting, 52% from 3 and like the 5th highest PER in finals history. Brons bar is dumb high.

Shmontaine
10-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Interesting conundrum.

the spurs have gotten their stars to take below market value (duncan, parker, etc)..

however, if KL doesn't get the max now, he's going to be severely underpaid when that new contract kicks in.

i think the spurs give it to him. they have the money and the cap is only going up. i don't think they can afford to lose him. He's their future.

anyone know what he max for him is? that may shed some light on the discussion.

tredigs
10-27-2014, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't put Klay Thompson at the same level as reigning finals MVP Kawhi Leonard.

As far as contract negotiations go (whether you/I like it or not), he is. At least 1 team will offer each player their max extension in free agency (at the same price point) and their teams will have the opportunity to match.

tredigs
10-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Like I've said with other recent free-agent signings, I think Max is way too much for Leonard. I respect his game and all but he is a product of the system. A system where you can basically plug anyone in and it continues to work. He is not franchise changer like Duncan was.

lmao -- so are you going to go ahead and hold off your max offers for the Tim Duncan's of the world? Good luck there.

kdspurman
10-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Yeah he held Bron to 28 /8/4 on 57% shooting, 52% from 3 and like the 5th highest PER in finals history. Brons bar is dumb high.

I think you should check Lebron's numbers with Kawhi actually guarding him rather than his stats for the 5 games. There's a significant difference

waveycrockett
10-27-2014, 08:37 PM
People need to stop using Chandler Parson as the reason why Kawhi Leonard should get the max. Parson can be a legit perennial allstar based on his shooting ability, size, ball handling,ability to run the point forward and underrated defense.

Leonard is a very good player NOW but he is Gerald Wallace 2.0. A guy whose entire game is based on his athleticism. Once he gets into his late 20s he will be a shadow of what he is now. He will not age well and I know Spurs fans who agree.

smith&wesson
10-27-2014, 08:49 PM
I think he is overrating himself asking for the max.

disagree, if guys like Parsons, Hayward, Bledsoe can get the max why cant Leonard ?

IKnowHoops
10-27-2014, 09:29 PM
I think you should check Lebron's numbers with Kawhi actually guarding him rather than his stats for the 5 games. There's a significant difference

Let me preface this by saying I have no idea what those stats are, but do we do this for all players? Do we ask how Jordan played, or do we ask how he did when Gary Payton was on him? At the end of the day we can find lows and highs in peoples games, but the totality is what matters unless your trying to win an argument. Bron had one of the top 5 finals of all time. There is nothing anyone could of done in history of the NBA to win against the Spurs in his position when everyone else is playing so badly. Lebron played great. And if he played poorly against Leonard, then his final tally of stats suggest he was playing the greatest basketball of all-time when Leonard was not guarding him.

I then would ask if Leoanard was so effective, why would he not be guarding Bron the entire time if the difference was so drastic?

kdspurman
10-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Let me preface this by saying I have no idea what those stats are, but do we do this for all players? Do we ask how Jordan played, or do we ask how he did when Gary Payton was on him? At the end of the day we can find lows and highs in peoples games, but the totality is what matters unless your trying to win an argument. Bron had one of the top 5 finals of all time. There is nothing anyone could of done in history of the NBA to win against the Spurs in his position when everyone else is playing so badly. Lebron played great. And if he played poorly against Leonard, then his final tally of stats suggest he was playing the greatest basketball of all-time when Leonard was not guarding him.

I then would ask if Leoanard was so effective, why would he not be guarding Bron the entire time if the difference was so drastic?

I was simply pointing out that the stats you posted on Lebron were skewed in the context you posted them.

The reasons he didn't guard him at all times was due to foul trouble, different lineups Miami put out there, etc... And of course trying to give him a break every now and then. Pop also likes throwing Diaw or Green at Lebron just to give him different looks.

kdspurman
10-27-2014, 09:44 PM
People need to stop using Chandler Parson as the reason why Kawhi Leonard should get the max. Parson can be a legit perennial allstar based on his shooting ability, size, ball handling,ability to run the point forward and underrated defense.

Leonard is a very good player NOW but he is Gerald Wallace 2.0. A guy whose entire game is based on his athleticism. Once he gets into his late 20s he will be a shadow of what he is now. He will not age well and I know Spurs fans who agree.

Kawhi does not rely on athleticism. That's a first I've heard of that actually. His upside is just as great as Parson's, maybe even a bit more based off his defensive abilities

Verbal Christ
10-27-2014, 09:46 PM
People who are expecting Chandler Parsons to become a superstar are in for a rude awakening. When in the world did Parsons run point forward? LOL ... unless thats a 'new wrinkle' that Dallas is implementing where I would say I hope he improved his 'ball handling ability' because dude has one go to the basket move ... dribble right and either cough up the ball or make a layup. His game was predicated on movement and spot shooting while he was in Houston.

Some Dallas fans are getting way ahead of themselves .... and I know Mavs fans who agree.

Leonard is being put down after that Finals appearance and being 'evaluated' by PSD talent pro's into a glorified role player? Thats funny man.

tredigs
10-27-2014, 10:08 PM

Lmao! Sorry man, but when many of those stats were accumulated down 20+, you don't get credit for "top 5 finals in history" because he had a great PER.

This is not the thread for this debate though.

SPURSFAN1
10-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Lmao! Sorry man, but when many of those stats were accumulated down 20+, you don't get credit for "top 5 finals in history" because he had a great PER.

This is not the thread for this debate though.

I'm pretty sure he didn't actually watch the games, but I won't fault him for that. He can't even bring up LJs turnovers for the whole series.

Vee-Rex
10-28-2014, 08:59 AM

I don't think one finals is enough for Leonard to be considered a max player anyway. Depending on how contracts fluctuate for the new tv deal, Leonard might be worth it though. Guess we'll see.

True Sports Fan
10-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Sadly that's no longer the case in today's NBA. Ultimately the market sets the values and when you see other player's like Bledsoe and Parsons getting paid, don't see why he wouldn't do the same.

True Sports Fan
10-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Kinda disagree with that. He's an elite defender and has a nice developing shot.

Crackadalic
10-28-2014, 12:42 PM
The cap is going to 80 mil in 2016 and the Spurs most likely will have some of there main guys retire or last contract.

His max is probably the same as a slightly higher mle by then so I don't get the complaining

Hawkeye15
10-28-2014, 12:57 PM

LeBron was easily the best individual player in last years finals, but the rest of his crew sucked, and the Spurs were a perfect team.

Regarding this thread, the Spurs are better off letting him hit RFA, and matching. I think max money is thrown around stupidly, but with the new salary cap exploding in 2 years, his deal will look fine as they rebuild after the Duncan/Manu era, and Parker is the only other high dollar guy they have.

Dunkolicious
10-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Leonard stays, Leonard gets good contract, maybe not max that's not in Spurs tradition, but good money for sure

IndyRealist
10-28-2014, 06:23 PM
The cap is going to 80 mil in 2016 and the Spurs most likely will have some of there main guys retire or last contract.

His max is probably the same as a slightly higher mle by then so I don't get the complaining

Everytime someone brings up the salary cap hike, the numbers get more exaggerated.

astonmartin10
10-28-2014, 06:44 PM
I rather give the max to Leonard than Klay. Crazy with the extra revenue coming in the upcoming years contracts are going to be ridiculous.

da ThRONe
10-28-2014, 07:21 PM
I think with all this talk of the next superstar Leonard is on a short list of players that I think can elevate his game to that level.

beasted86
10-28-2014, 07:39 PM
"Pay that man his money" (In John Malkovich voice from Rounders)

The market dictates value, and if Gordon Hayward is a max free agent, then Leonard is more than a max. The Spurs aren't going to ever attract free agents. They've played 15 years of basketball excellence under Pop, and still can't attract free agents. You think that's going to improve when Duncan retires? Yeah right. They better lock up Leonard to a new 5yr deal rather than end up with a 4yr match and him walking a year earlier once Pop retires and they fall off a cliff.

Philly Hammer
10-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Max contract is the a fn joke!

IversonIsKrazy
10-28-2014, 09:21 PM
What would be HIS max tho? Something like $14.5m? Given that they just paid Splitter $10M last year, $14-$15 M is reasonable for a FMVP

cmellofan15
10-28-2014, 09:47 PM
He's a reigning FMVP, inevitable 1st Ballot Hall of Famer, and will go down as a top 20 player of all time for what he did to LeBron. The least you could give him is the max.
/s

HeatFan
10-29-2014, 01:12 PM
lmao -- so are you going to go ahead and hold off your max offers for the Tim Duncan's of the world? Good luck there.

Tim Duncan is an example that I used because he is a Spur. However, there are plenty of franchise changers in the League that are max-contract worthy but that are not Hall of Fame caliber like a Tim Duncan. You really have a limited range of analysis. Not surprising.

BALLER R
10-29-2014, 01:32 PM
There are players that got max based on what they did in one season. Leonard was great in the playoffs and has a finals MVP. He will get his max contract. Maybe after this next contract he can worry about taking less but for now pay the man.

tredigs
10-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Tim Duncan is an example that I used because he is a Spur. However, there are plenty of franchise changers in the League that are max-contract worthy but that are not Hall of Fame caliber like a Tim Duncan. You really have a limited range of analysis. Not surprising.

#1: Not all max contracts are created equal. Kawhi's max doesn't = Durant's max.
#2: You can't just go out and sign superstar level talent, and players below that threshold (for example, at Kawhi's level) have proven that they will command their max in free agency.

If you want to keep them, you have to pay that. This isn't an opinion or something up for debate, you're just being a fool. I 100% guarantee Kawhi Leonard receives max contract offers if he enters free agency.

HeatFan
10-29-2014, 10:48 PM
#1: Not all max contracts are created equal. Kawhi's max doesn't = Durant's max.
#2: You can't just go out and sign superstar level talent, and players below that threshold (for example, at Kawhi's level) have proven that they will command their max in free agency.

If you want to keep them, you have to pay that. This isn't an opinion or something up for debate, you're just being a fool. I 100% guarantee Kawhi Leonard receives max contract offers if he enters free agency.

If you sign non-superstar players to max contracts then your really get yourself setup for not being able to pursue superstars going forward. Whether he deserves it or not and whether I would have paid him that if I were a GM is my opinion. How is that being a fool? Because I don't agree with you? I've seen many comments posted by you and its all about criticizing others opinions instead of just trying to give your own 2 cents. Bit of an EGO problem.

tredigs
10-30-2014, 03:01 AM
If you sign non-superstar players to max contracts then your really get yourself setup for not being able to pursue superstars going forward. Whether he deserves it or not and whether I would have paid him that if I were a GM is my opinion. How is that being a fool? Because I don't agree with you? I've seen many comments posted by you and its all about criticizing others opinions instead of just trying to give your own 2 cents. Bit of an EGO problem.
Your level of stupidity annoys me.

koreancabbage
10-30-2014, 09:00 AM
teams are gonna find it hard to make a team when these non franchise players start getting maximum contracts, even with the higher payrolls coming along. then people are gonna be crying these contracts be crazy! and we're gonna have another lockout to restructure these messes of a contract situations for non-superstar players.

just a theory. but when players are starting to get the maximum for what have you done lately situations and haven't been in any all star games, all-NBA 1st,2nd or 3rd teams, or be a franchise type players and are getting maximum contracts - it is insane.

kdspurman
11-11-2014, 11:18 AM
But Leonard isnít leaving.

He knows that the only reason his deal didnít get done now was due to the way the salary cap works, and as long as the Spurs come with a max offer as expected next summer, he wonít be playing anywhere else.

From Sam Amick of USA Today:

ďI was never upset about (the extension),Ē Leonard said. ďI mean they explained to me what their deal is and why they didnít do it yet. Thatíll play out. Iím just here to play basketball and have fun and try to win another championship. If I think about that, then Iím not going to be the same player that I am and will be just out of it. Ö

ďI donít think Iím going anywhere,Ē Leonard said. ďI mean they love me here. I like the organization, and if it was up to me, I want to finish out with one team like a lot of great players have done, to stay with one organization their whole career and just be loyal to that. You never know. Weíll see what happens next summer, but Iím pretty sure Iíll be in a Spurs jersey for my whole life.Ē

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/11/kawhi-leonard-was-never-upset-about-lack-of-contract-extension-plans-on-being-with-spurs-for-his-whole-life/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

LA_Raiders
11-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Not worth it but most likely will get it. Lots of over paid players now a days.

ghettosean
11-11-2014, 09:38 PM
null

This was awesome thanks fir posting the update on that!

kobe4thewinbang
11-12-2014, 01:09 AM
Not worth it but most likely will get it. Lots of over paid players now a days.Kawhi shows flashes and he was great in the Finals. But yeah, for a max contract he needs to score more and be more of an impact player on both ends.

kdspurman
11-12-2014, 01:49 AM
Kawhi shows flashes and he was great in the Finals. But yeah, for a max contract he needs to score more and be more of an impact player on both ends.

he is a big time impact player. His usage will go up a bit this year. But he makes a huge impact. The spurs 8-8 record without him is indicative of that.

His offensive responsibilities will show a bit more this year

tredigs
11-12-2014, 02:28 AM
The smartest NBA sports bettor in history and a guy with stats that NBA teams have been begging to purchase for years already thinks Kawhi is a top 10 player in the world. So, there is that.

SF8
11-12-2014, 04:25 AM
The smartest NBA sports bettor in history and a guy with stats that NBA teams have been begging to purchase for years already thinks Kawhi is a top 10 player in the world. So, there is that.

Who?

SF8
11-12-2014, 04:26 AM
Leonard is the worth the max. If Roy Hibbert, Eric Gordon, Andre Igoudala, Hayward all got the max, Leonard should easily get it.

He's capable of putting up 22+ pts on great efficiency with great rebounding. I have my doubts about him being a #1 option but he's well capable of a 2nd or 3rd role.

FlashBolt
11-12-2014, 05:29 PM
This is funny. This guy hasn't even scored over 15 PPG and wants a max contract.. Well, with the way everyone gets them these days, sure. But realistically, this guy wouldn't even sniff that. He's not a first option. He's a great defender who knows how to play team ball. Let's see how this team ball dilemma works when Parker, Manu, and Tim are retired.

kdspurman
11-12-2014, 05:42 PM
This is funny. This guy hasn't even scored over 15 PPG and wants a max contract.. Well, with the way everyone gets them these days, sure. But realistically, this guy wouldn't even sniff that. He's not a first option. He's a great defender who knows how to play team ball. Let's see how this team ball dilemma works when Parker, Manu, and Tim are retired.

There's more to a player than PPG....

And there's nothing wrong with him wanting a long term contract. $ is something else... No one knows what he wants money wise.

KnIckFaN.2883
11-12-2014, 05:44 PM
I would love the knicks to sign this guy.

FlashBolt
11-12-2014, 05:56 PM
There's more to a player than PPG....

And there's nothing wrong with him wanting a long term contract. $ is something else... No one knows what he wants money wise.

There is something wrong with PPG when you're expecting to get paid max. Points is the metric most teams use when paying someone. I don't see how PPG doesn't mean anything when he's practically the future of their team coming forward. Kawhi should take the money Spurs offer him and run. On any other team, he wouldn't look this good. I very much doubt anyone out there would offer Kawhi the max.. so let's see if the Spurs fall for it. It's too early for him to get the max with what he has done so far. But if Klay gets the max, Kawhi should as well. Realistically? Only ten players right now should get the max.

tredigs
11-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Who?

Voulgaris.

SPURSFAN1
11-12-2014, 11:02 PM
There is something wrong with PPG when you're expecting to get paid max. Points is the metric most teams use when paying someone. I don't see how PPG doesn't mean anything when he's practically the future of their team coming forward. Kawhi should take the money Spurs offer him and run. On any other team, he wouldn't look this good. I very much doubt anyone out there would offer Kawhi the max.. so let's see if the Spurs fall for it. It's too early for him to get the max with what he has done so far. But if Klay gets the max, Kawhi should as well. Realistically? Only ten players right now should get the max.

Kawhi 1 FMVP> Durant 0 rings.