PDA

View Full Version : If Garnett's SATs were better...

JasonJohnHorn
10-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Kevin Garnett was perhaps the most highly recruited highschool player when he entered the draft, but his SAT scores and/or grades were apparently not as high as they needed to be, so Garnett went straight to the NBA. Had his grades/SATs been higher, Garnett could have ended up going to college. If that had happened, do you think we would have seen the slew of kids jump from HS to the NBA? From Kobe and McGrady, to Amare and LeBron?

No doubt the one-and-done would still be going on. It was a surprise that Webber stayed two years back in the early 90's. And yes, other guys came out of highschool: Moses Malone, for instance, but he was drafted in the ABA, not the NBA.

How much did Garnett's success influence others? Would Kobe have still jumped from HS? Or McGrady?

jerellh528
10-25-2014, 03:17 PM
I doubt it influenced kobe much. The year kg entered he average like 10 points and started 20 games. I doubt kobe was like, wow! I better enter now after all that succes kg had last year. Since kobe came in a mere one year later

JasonJohnHorn
10-25-2014, 03:29 PM
I doubt it influenced kobe much. The year kg entered he average like 10 points and started 20 games. I doubt kobe was like, wow! I better enter now after all that succes kg had last year. Since kobe came in a mere one year later

Perhaps, but at the same time, Garneett was draft in the first round and got a decent pay-day, so I imagine Kobe was like: WOW, I can skip college, go in the first round and get paid instead of playing for free.

Garnett proved that GM's were willing to use a first-round pick. THAT was central, because the concern was that one might go in the second round or even go undrafted, in which case they'd have to fight for a roster spot and not be eligible for college. With Garnett, Kobe knew GMs would take a gamble. Without him, that is not so clear.

And Garnett's numbers, while low, were solid for a rookie. He did make an All-Rookie team.

hugepatsfan
10-25-2014, 05:47 PM

Great point basketball wise but I have to agree with how the OP responded regarding the bigger picture issues that extend beyond the court.

This thread is a very interesting discussion point IMO. My basketball knowledge doesn't extend back that far so I'm interested to see how some of the more senior posters feel about this.

IBleedPurple
10-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Honestly I think it would've came eventually, but KG accelerated the process. Without rules against it, better development at a younger age, and the tempting paycheck, it was likely inevitable. Decent chance some of the names mentioned still do it, but possibly less or very few of them.

Munkeysuit
10-25-2014, 07:43 PM
KG's career was just fine, you could make the argument that he wouldn't have been the same player as he was (for the worse) if he went to college.

AllBall
10-25-2014, 09:29 PM
If Garnett's SAT scores where higher he would have became a rocket scientist. True story.

MrfadeawayJB
10-26-2014, 09:28 AM
$ is the biggest influence factor

dhopisthename
10-26-2014, 12:08 PM
I mean I think going to college is stupid if you are going to be a surefire first round pick. basically a guaranteed 2 year deal that will pay over 2 million dollars. So even if you aren't any good 2 mill can get just as good an education as a free scholarship.

Sly Guy
10-26-2014, 01:08 PM
don't think it would change a thing. The kids are chasing dollars and not degrees.

meloman1592
10-26-2014, 01:37 PM
don't think it would change a thing. The kids are chasing dollars and not degrees.

No degree can net you the absurd amount of money nba players make. They're making the right decision. Not to mention school will always be available

Bramaca
10-26-2014, 03:42 PM
As somebody else said, it would have happened eventually. I've been wondering how long it is until more and more high school players start looking at overseas leagues instead of college. Jennings did it a while ago and Mudiay is doing it this season.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Lol KG having high enough SAT scores?

Raps08-09 Champ
10-26-2014, 03:45 PM
I mean I think going to college is stupid if you are going to be a surefire first round pick. basically a guaranteed 2 year deal that will pay over 2 million dollars. So even if you aren't any good 2 mill can get just as good an education as a free scholarship.

A lot of players could use the development in college.

Jeffy25
10-26-2014, 08:34 PM

Garnett was the first player in 20 years to skip college.

If he doesn't do that before Kobe, there is a very real chance that Kobe goes to college first.