PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best coach in NBA history?

Bang Bros89
10-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Just curious to hear responses, I've only been an NBA fan since the early 2000's, so my opinion would probably be biased to the more recent names. But who does everyone else consider to be the best coach in NBA history?

SLY WILLIAMS
10-24-2014, 10:42 AM
I think it will come down to a handful of guys. Red, PJ, Pat Riley, Pop, etc.

jaydubb
10-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Pj or red

KnicksorBust
10-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Phil Jackson. He has had more signficantly more success than any other modern coach and did it with 3 different cores of players.

Bang Bros89
10-24-2014, 11:03 AM
I thought the consensus would say Red or PJ, but there are arguments that could be made against both. Considering PJ had the #1 player in the league at the time for at least 9 of his titles (MJ and Shaq), and always had GREAT rosters.

And Red had the greatest team imaginable in a severely diluted league

goingfor28
10-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Pop

ManningToTyree
10-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Phil is my choice but Pop and red definitely have a case

jericho
10-24-2014, 12:53 PM
I'll go with Pop. Phill always had the best players in the league on his team (MJ + Pip & Shaq + Kobe & Bynum + Gasol + Kobe) and Red just had the best team in the league

InternetSheriff
10-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Pop. Did more with less than PJ.

Sadds The Gr8
10-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Pop after last year. Turns random Scrubs into legit players

Lakers + Giants
10-24-2014, 01:21 PM
I agree, Pop.

albertajaysfan
10-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Agree with those saying Pop.

It is so impressive who how he has been able to adapt to continue to achieve success. Plus he is great at in game adjustments and is just a shade below Phil in the mind game department.

slaker619
10-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Pat & Pop

IKnowHoops
10-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Pop

torocan
10-24-2014, 01:40 PM
There's arguments for PJ or Pops depending on how you measure them.

Red is great, but he had the advantages of a much smaller league, territorial drafting, and no free agency issues. I wonder how effective Red would be in a more modern basketball economy.

I'm personally a fan of Pops, however I hold nothing against folks who prefer PJ.

ewing
10-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Pop

SLY WILLIAMS
10-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Pat was the only one that coached my team and I liked how he brought 3 different teams (Lakers, Knicks, Heat) to the finals with 3 totally different types of players so I will go Riley. :)

Chronz
10-24-2014, 01:55 PM
You shouldnt ask historical questions when you're limited to a single generation of knowledge. The mere fact that Hannum hasn't even been mentioned is a sad state in NBA-PSD .

MonroeFAN
10-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Gregry

albertajaysfan
10-24-2014, 03:31 PM
You shouldnt ask historical questions when you're limited to a single generation of knowledge. The mere fact that Hannum hasn't even been mentioned is a sad state in NBA-PSD .

Not sure I agree it is a sad state. Perhaps instead of slinging mud you could elaborate and perhaps educate some people regarding the person you are talking about.

I think it is a fair question to ask and the OP made it pretty clear what kind of bias he brought to the table. I doubt there are many internet forums with a significant number of posters who have much firsthand sports knowledge that goes back further then 1980.

Chronz
10-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Not sure I agree it is a sad state. Perhaps instead of slinging mud you could elaborate and perhaps educate some people regarding the person you are talking about.
You're right, instead of elaborating I chose to diminish. But you know what, Im pretty peeved by the fact that so many people disregard the past as if it was inferior instead of just different. So in that same vein, I similarly dismiss the thread. Its a dick move tho so I dont blame you for calling me out on it.

I think it is a fair question to ask and the OP made it pretty clear what kind of bias he brought to the table. I doubt there are many internet forums with a significant number of posters who have much firsthand sports knowledge that goes back further then 1980.
Definitely right about that one, I will do my part to advance PSD as a forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Alex Hannum was a G:

He got Wilt to calm down and play team ball

People only think of Tex Winters when it comes to originating the Triangle Offense, and only think of Phil Jackson as the coach to lead it a championship level. Hannum was one of the originators and actually won a chip with it. He mastered the give and go, both as a player and coach.

He was the FIRST coach to to reach and win the Finals with 2 separate teams. During Bill Russell's reign of terror, the only constant in defeat was Hannum.

He left the NBA to join the ABA and guess what, won another championship, becoming the first to do so. Coaching the likes of Larry Brown in the process.

He taught Pat Riley how to run a practice, funny story about Hannum having his players run up and down the arena stairs, left practice, called back a few hours later to instruct his players to stop running.

Only 3 players in NBA history committed more fouls in a single game than Hannum (8 vs 7).

naps
10-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Either of Pop or Riley.

HeatFan
10-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Want to say Pat Riley but Pop has to win. Of course, he did have some very good rosters and probably more than the best coach of all time, he has probably the best front office of all time. I've heard arguments that it takes a great coach to make good talent mesh, but you first need the good talent before the "mesh".

Silent
10-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Pj gp ra

HeatFan
10-24-2014, 04:23 PM
For some reason I think that being the coach of MJ has to require an asterisk in GOAT conversations. I mean, there could be several coaches with GOAT credentials had they been the Bull's coach 91'-98'.

Chronz
10-24-2014, 04:26 PM
For some reason I think that being the coach of MJ has to require an asterisk in GOAT conversations. I mean, there could be several coaches with GOAT credentials had they been the Bull's coach 91'-98'.
Isnt that kind of like saying what a waste of money coaches are?

Bang Bros89
10-24-2014, 04:34 PM

I shouldn't ask an historical question because I don't know about history?

Isn't that a good reason for me to ask questions about history?

Captain Moroni
10-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Red was the first dynasty coach of the modern era. PJAX and Riley are next, then Pops

Chronz
10-24-2014, 04:57 PM
I shouldn't ask an historical question because I don't know about history?

Isn't that a good reason for me to ask questions about history?

lol ... yes it is.

I honestly dont know what came over me there. I think 10am was the wrong time to start drinking.

Hawkeye15
10-24-2014, 05:00 PM

Because most on this site wouldn't even know who he is, therefore would have minimal to no opinion on him. I only know of him from what I have read over time. I didn't see his product with my own eyes.

HeatFan
10-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Isnt that kind of like saying what a waste of money coaches are?

uhhhhhhhhh, no.

But since you ask, it just means that there are some players that are so good that a coach looks much better because of them (a.k.a. MJ). I'm a Heat fan and don't really think Spoelstra is that good of a coach. He's been very lucky with good rosters, including some hall of fame caliber players. I can tell you there are coaches that makes teams certainly better with or without stacked rosters, Rick Carlisle amongst them. But if you put Carlisle to coach the Cavs right now, he'd probably be a lot more successful than with the Mavs. Don't you think so?

R. Johnson#3
10-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Pop is something special. He utilizes his whole team and has this much success.

KnicksorBust
10-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Pop is something special. He utilizes his whole team and has this much success.

If by this much success you mean less than half as many titles as Phil Jackson then yes you are right. The biggest crock of this entire discussion is people try and devalue titles as if its not ridiculously hard to win them. Winning 3 titles with MJ-Pip role players, then 3 with MJ-Pip-Rodman, then 3 with Shaq-Kobe (the first one was a masterful performance as Kobe was still figuring things out), then 2 with Kobe-Gasol. Neither of which was a gimme as they got through loaded Western Conferences and beat the Ray-PP-KG Celtics in 7.

marjon
10-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Well, for those who say PJ should not be considered the Goat because he had the "best players" in that era ... I think ur not giving the coach and his innovative scheme (the triangle offense) enough credit.

Would Jordan be considered the greatest player ever without it, or PJ? Would Kobe be considered one of the best players ever without it or PJ. If u think so, how do u kno?

Neither has one ring without him, yet he has plenty without one or the other. Never seen MJ without Phil (excluding his Old Wizard days) but we seen how much of a winner Kobe is without Phil. Not much (numbers don't lie)

Phil is arguably the greatest coach/basketball mind ever, with the jewelry to show. Stop hating. MJ or Kobe didn't make Phil, Phil made MJ and Kobe.

Pop is one of the greatest, and so is Red...Pat too. but all 3 can kiss Phil's rings, okay? I think Larry Brown should receive more love in this discussion as well. The man was notorious for bringin almost ANY team from the basement to relevance almost everywhere he went.

koreancabbage
10-24-2014, 08:53 PM
If by this much success you mean less than half as many titles as Phil Jackson then yes you are right. The biggest crock of this entire discussion is people try and devalue titles as if its not ridiculously hard to win them. Winning 3 titles with MJ-Pip role players, then 3 with MJ-Pip-Rodman, then 3 with Shaq-Kobe (the first one was a masterful performance as Kobe was still figuring things out), then 2 with Kobe-Gasol. Neither of which was a gimme as they got through loaded Western Conferences and beat the Ray-PP-KG Celtics in 7.

but what Pop did last year with with his group versus Lebron, Wade and Bosh was more impressive than any of PJ's individual title runs IMO

lamzoka
10-24-2014, 11:00 PM
I wanna say pop but then again he gave LeBron his second ring.

PJ, Pop in no order

DemarDerozan
10-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Pop. Did more with less...

He turned guys like Bruce Bowen, Patti Mills, Matt Bonner and Danny Green into legitimate NBA Champions. Not just legitimate players. They would be scrubs for any other team.

DemarDerozan
10-25-2014, 12:04 AM
PJ always had teams that could compete... however they fell apart when he left. Bill Russell coached the Celtics to championship success after Red left. Sign of the times? Or was Red overrated? I feel that the Celtics were the 04 Pistons on steroids x 12 years (with less competition).

I equate Russell/Red to the Wright Brothers... And PJ/Jordan/Kobe to F18 pilots destroying enemy targets swiftly and without being seen.

DemarDerozan
10-25-2014, 12:20 AM
Also... Pop revitalized several careers. Diaw, Brett Barry, Glenn Robinson, Stephen Jackson... He even took TMac to the Finals. The dude has developed young talents, managed superstars and gotten the best out of scrubs and past their prime veterans. He also turned several teams made up of spare parts into title contenders/winners and led some of the best defensive and highest BBall iq teams to success.

Pop is pretty much Red, Larry Brown, PJ, Doc and Chuck Daily rolled into one. He is the opposite of Pat Riley though... Who has always aligned himself with ideal situations and manipulated the league to his benefit. ****ing greaseball.

jerellh528
10-25-2014, 01:13 AM
I feel like we have this thread once a month or so and it comes down to pop being a better X's and O's guy and developmental talent guy, and Phil is better at controlling egos and bringing stars together for a common goal. Most lean towards pop but don't blame guys who wanna say Phil or red

tredigs
10-25-2014, 01:22 AM
I feel like there are not more than ~20 people on earth qualified enough on the behind the scenes work of these coaches as well as all other factors involved that could give a worthwhile response here.

numba1CHANGsta
10-25-2014, 02:19 AM
Whoever doesn't say Phil Jackson is an idiot

SF8
10-25-2014, 02:49 AM
Popi.

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-25-2014, 06:35 AM
I think a 3 peat, 3 peat, 3 peat, back to back speaks for it's self.

5ass
10-25-2014, 10:29 AM
I think a 3 peat, 3 peat, 3 peat, back to back speaks for it's self.

I'm surprised you didn't say kobe.

prodigy
10-25-2014, 10:30 AM
PJ had Jordan, scottie , Kobe Shaq etc.... let's be honest I would a won coaching those guys. But great coaches have great players that's part of it.

But pop for sure. Ya he has Duncan and parker. But to continue to win with them getting older is special. If PJ was able to keep Kobe and Shaq together I'd put him ahead.

KnicksorBust
10-25-2014, 01:39 PM

but what Pop did last year with with his group versus Lebron, Wade and Bosh was more impressive than any of PJ's individual title runs IMO

Even if I agreed with you, which I dont, that one title run doesnt make up for 6 less title runs.

KnicksorBust
10-25-2014, 01:42 PM
PJ had Jordan, scottie , Kobe Shaq etc.... let's be honest I would a won coaching those guys.

That makes a lot of sense considering they never won anything until he got to Chicago and LA. I dont believe for one second that any other coach wins 11 rings with his rosters but I do believe he could win 5 or more coaching Duncan for 15+ years.

albertajaysfan
10-25-2014, 02:07 PM
You're right, instead of elaborating I chose to diminish. But you know what, Im pretty peeved by the fact that so many people disregard the past as if it was inferior instead of just different. So in that same vein, I similarly dismiss the thread. Its a dick move tho so I dont blame you for calling me out on it.

Definitely right about that one, I will do my part to advance PSD as a forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Alex Hannum was a G:

He got Wilt to calm down and play team ball

People only think of Tex Winters when it comes to originating the Triangle Offense, and only think of Phil Jackson as the coach to lead it a championship level. Hannum was one of the originators and actually won a chip with it. He mastered the give and go, both as a player and coach.

He was the FIRST coach to to reach and win the Finals with 2 separate teams. During Bill Russell's reign of terror, the only constant in defeat was Hannum.

He left the NBA to join the ABA and guess what, won another championship, becoming the first to do so. Coaching the likes of Larry Brown in the process.

He taught Pat Riley how to run a practice, funny story about Hannum having his players run up and down the arena stairs, left practice, called back a few hours later to instruct his players to stop running.

Only 3 players in NBA history committed more fouls in a single game than Hannum (8 vs 7).

Cool thanks for the info. Heard the name before but that was really it.

albertajaysfan
10-25-2014, 02:08 PM
lol ... yes it is.

I honestly dont know what came over me there. I think 10am was the wrong time to start drinking.

:laugh:

Tony_Starks
10-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Pat Riley. Easily.

More-Than-Most
10-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Phil Jackson. He has had more signficantly more success than any other modern coach and did it with 3 different cores of players.

He has also had stacked teams left and right

ramsizzle
10-25-2014, 03:34 PM
He has also had stacked teams left and right

and pop's teams weren't? ;)

Phil and its not close. Pops doesn't even compare.

Phil won in before Free agency, after free agency, with egos, without egos, doesn't matter. It is laughable to me that people compare Pop's 5 to Phil's 11. :confused:

albertajaysfan
10-25-2014, 03:43 PM
and pop's teams weren't? ;)

Phil and its not close. Pops doesn't even compare.

Phil won in before Free agency, after free agency, with egos, without egos, doesn't matter. It is laughable to me that people compare Pop's 5 to Phil's 11. :confused:

I can see people choosing Phil. But to say it isn't even close is taking it to far.

One other thing when did Phil win without egos?

ramsizzle
10-25-2014, 03:56 PM
I can see people choosing Phil. But to say it isn't even close is taking it to far.

One other thing when did Phil win without egos?

if those gasol and kobe led teams were filled with egos then im mistaken. But imo that was not an ego filled locker room.

Seizabmc
10-25-2014, 09:17 PM
1-Phil
2-pop
3-red
4-pat
5-chuck

Seizabmc
10-25-2014, 09:22 PM
And what's all this talk about red having won only because his team was the best.

So what about the team that he beat with Jerry west , wilt chamberlain
The lakers were the clear favorite to win and the knicks because of the coaching were able to acheive success .
Red was a great coach , and you hear all the time from different players constantly giving his praise.
Walt clyd Frazier talks about red all the time like he was a king or something .
And Phil gives red all the credit for teaching him how to have success as a coach.
If it wasn't for Red than there would be no Phil.

prodigy
10-25-2014, 09:56 PM
PJ had Jordan, scottie , Kobe Shaq etc.... let's be honest I would a won coaching those guys.

That makes a lot of sense considering they never won anything until he got to Chicago and LA. I dont believe for one second that any other coach wins 11 rings with his rosters but I do believe he could win 5 or more coaching Duncan for 15+ years.

I think mj woulda been just fine without PJ.

PowerHouse
10-25-2014, 10:56 PM
In basketball in general, the only coach who may have been greater than Phil is John Wooden.

For NBA its Phil by a landslide.

prodigy
10-25-2014, 11:05 PM
In basketball in general, the only coach who may have been greater than Phil is John Wooden.

For NBA its Phil by a landslide.

Which is ur opinion. I don't base everything just on titles. If pop had mj he'd prob have more then 5

FlashBolt
10-26-2014, 12:01 AM
PJ had 3 of the top 10 players and 2 of the top 5.. He had the best player in NBA history and also had the most dominating player ever. What happened when he was given a garbage cast? He was losing. Who was the guy who consistently won and has a playoff streak of 16 years? Who is the guy who can win games by making Patty Mills outplay starters? Who is the guy who won 5 rings with a completely different cast than that of 16 years ago. This is a no brainer. Pop is the best coach. This guy makes Rick Carlisle look like a rookie.

tredigs
10-26-2014, 03:29 AM