PDA

View Full Version : Is Durant's injury a blessing in disguise?

KnicksorBust
10-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Take a look at this box score:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201405310OKC.html

Durant - 31 points
Westbrook - 34 points
Ibaka - 16 points
Jackson - 21 points

And 7 other players combined to score a total of 5 points.

Meanwhile, the Spurs eliminated the Thunder from the post-season with 10 players scoring and only one player scoring over 20 point (ironically enough Boris Diaw was the high scorer).

There is no denying that in the short-term this will hurt the Thunder's chances of winning games but is there anyone that actually thinks it will keep them out of the playoffs. On the other hand, it will allow players like Morrow-Lamb-Jones-Steven Adams-etc. to take on a larger than expected role on offense and give some of them critical end of game reps that could pay off in the long term. So the question is:

Is Durant's injury a blessing in disguise?

goingfor28
10-22-2014, 08:50 PM
No. The spurs are the best "team" in basketball. Okc relies on KD and Russ to get theirs. With KD out roughly 1/4 of the season barring any setback they're going to fall behind in the standings. How far? Not sure. But I definitely don't see it as a blessing in disguise.

sens#11fan
10-22-2014, 09:56 PM
It could be an addition by subtraction scenario or it could just be simply a subtraction. Potentially, this could force Westbrook to become more of a facilitator and trust his teammates more, in which he has already shown flashes of this in games last year. Look how well Reggie Jackson developed last year from his absence and also Lamb before Butler took his minutes. Adams has been solid as well, its gonna force their role players to contribute more.

P&GRealist
10-22-2014, 09:59 PM
The regular season doesn't matter for OKC. It's all about the postseason. Until they replace Scott Brooks and can actually get a viable half court offense down the stretch in playoff games , it'll be the same ole disappointment just like the last 4 yrs.

mrblisterdundee
10-22-2014, 10:09 PM
It gives players a chance to develop their games, but it risks Okahoma City's chances of home court advantage by the second round of the playoffs. Last I checked, home courts do actually provide an advantage, especially in the playoffs.

ewing
10-22-2014, 10:44 PM
no

Cal827
10-22-2014, 11:08 PM
It could be an addition by subtraction scenario or it could just be simply a subtraction. Potentially, this could force Westbrook to become more of a facilitator and trust his teammates more, in which he has already shown flashes of this in games last year. Look how well Reggie Jackson developed last year from his absence and also Lamb before Butler took his minutes. Adams has been solid as well, its gonna force their role players to contribute more.

...... Or Westbrook could set a record for field goal attempts... in 20 games :D

mightybosstone
10-23-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm going with the "maybe." At this point it's way too early to tell. OKC could benefit from having a more balanced, deeper basketball team. But I don't necessarily think playing 15-25 games without Durant is necessarily going to make those guys better basketball players. It might help build their confidence a little and help them a bit with overall chemistry, but the question is whether or not that makes up for the 15+ games they're not going to have Durant.

In a conference as stacked as the West, even a team as talented as OKC could easily slip a bit in the standings because of an injury like this. Even if that injury only relates to a 3-5 game difference in the win-loss column, that could be the difference between 1st and 3rd or 3rd and 7th. So, at this point, I'm definitely leaning toward "no," but I'm not ruling out the possibility that this could make them a better basketball team by season's end.

ewing
10-23-2014, 12:23 PM
it is never good when your franchise player gets hurt. It is never good when he has surgery. It is never good when he has to totally shut down basketball activity especially during the season.

D-Leethal
10-23-2014, 12:43 PM
it is never good when your franchise player gets hurt. It is never good when he has surgery. It is never good when he has to totally shut down basketball activity especially during the season.

I get what you are saying, but long term, situations like this can help the team and "the others" grow.

ewing
10-23-2014, 01:08 PM
I get what you are saying, but long term, situations like this can help the team and "the others" grow.

Durrant has to be other worldly for them to win an NBA title. I think people underestimate the effects not playing ball and having to learn to trust your body again. This is not something you want ever

diu9leilomo
10-23-2014, 01:46 PM
NO matter how you dice it, its not a blessing in disguise. He is the best player behind kobe, i mean lebron...
2nd best player in the world...

Chronz
10-23-2014, 01:50 PM
If he were 29 or so, I'd say its a blessing just because he will be fresher come playoffs. Maybe Durant needs the added layoff.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Not sure its a blessing in disguise. I just think Thunder might consider a trade sooner rather then later for more win now help. As in buyers now then waiting till trade deadline. I think this is the year Perkins is dealt as the big salary throw in with tiny assets like Lamb and PJIII added into it for a win now piece. Just to tide them over till Durant returns.

D-Leethal
10-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Durrant has to be other worldly for them to win an NBA title. I think people underestimate the effects not playing ball and having to learn to trust your body again. This is not something you want ever

The 2014 Bulls will be a solid test of this theory. Everyone stepped their game up big time these past two years - if Rose can come back healthy and fit in, and the rest of the guys maintain their level of play they obtained while Rose was out, they could be better than ever before.

I agree about Durant, but if the young supporting cast blooms in his absence he might not have to be god-like to win anymore.