PDA

View Full Version : Will Byron Scott be able to control Kobe's FGA?

beasted86
10-22-2014, 07:23 AM
Through the last 3 preseason games, Kobe seems to be gearing up and preparing for his regular expected FGAs, with 23, 22, and 20 shots in the last 3 games excluding the attempts that lead to FTAs.... and mind you this has been over reduced minutes. His % over those games were 43%, 31%, and 50%, but it doesn't seem to matter what his efficiency is because Kobe will always think the next shot is going in.

Byron Scott has always run an isolation heavy offense with the Nets letting Kidd run the entire show, old Hornets with Chris Paul doing the same, and eventually the Cavs with Irving. Do you think he will let Kobe shoot 22+ times a night or will he be able to reign him in to play team ball and get the others involved, notably Lin, Boozer, and Randle?

My take? Phil Jackson wasn't able to do it so I don't see any hope. I predict Kobe to be gunning for the scoring title regardless of where his efficiency stands taking 24+ shots every game + whatever else leads to FTAs.

jaydubb
10-22-2014, 07:23 AM
No

beasted86
10-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Also to add, the Lakers were 1-2 over these last 3 preseason games.

KobeOwnSU
10-22-2014, 07:46 AM
Hey Kobe stop shooting and pass the ball to, uh, Ronnie Price...nobody on this team can shoot. Have you seen the offense when he goes out? At least last year they had three point shooting. Wesley Johnson is their next best offensive threat right now.

AddiX
10-22-2014, 10:00 AM
They don't have much of a choice.

kobe4thewinbang
10-22-2014, 10:12 AM
If the game is on the line, I want Kobe or Lin shooting, not Ryan Kelly or Swaggy P.

Tony_Starks
10-22-2014, 10:36 AM
How is him shooting less= team ball? He's always shot the same amount of shots and has got 5 rings to show for it.

It's not about Kobe it's about the talent around him.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-22-2014, 11:36 AM
colby bb gun bryan aint afraid to take a bad shot

Sadds The Gr8
10-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Exactly why they won't come close to making playoffs. The roster is flaming garbage

xbrackattackx
10-22-2014, 12:26 PM
To Kobe the only bad shots, are the ones he don't take.

Corey
10-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Who would you rather have shooting on that team? He's going to get a ton of attempts this year, and if they have a really poor record, people will just blame Kobe even though the lack of talent is the real problem on that roster.

IKnowHoops
10-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Id rather have anyone on the team shooting an open shot than the blind, parallel to the ground fadeaways that go in 15% of the time that Kobe chucks up. But we know Kobe is going to take his 25 shots a game so it will be fun to watch. He's playing a lot of ball against bench warmers right now, but when they stack up defenses to stop him and he keeps shooting, I'm gonna be laughing at how ridiculous it is.

L8kers4life
10-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Id rather have anyone on the team shooting an open shot than the blind, parallel to the ground fadeaways that go in 15% of the time that Kobe chucks up. But we know Kobe is going to take his 25 shots a game so it will be fun to watch. He's playing a lot of ball against bench warmers right now, but when they stack up defenses to stop him and he keeps shooting, I'm gonna be laughing at how ridiculous it is.

Man your posts just keep getting worse by the day. Kobe has not been playing against bench warmers, watch the games if your gonna talk ish. He he 5 shots in a row last night to finish the game, Byron took him out in overtime or the lakers would have won. He played against the starters the whole time he was in, and they doubled him over and over again. Watch the game, your troll game is getting out of hand.

Corey
10-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Id rather have anyone on the team shooting an open shot than the blind, parallel to the ground fadeaways that go in 15% of the time that Kobe chucks up

Strong username to post-content ratio.

:sigh:

Chronz
10-22-2014, 01:53 PM
The fan in me says its for the best, that Kobe needs to see if he can still perform at an All-Star level and for him, it has always started with his threat as a scorer. Its the opposite of how MJ approached his Wizards comeback but Kobe is making big money for a team that has unreasonably high expectations. But at the same time, I think I heard Scott's trying to limit Kobe this year. So who knows what the team wants at this point but I dont agree that his teams have ran simplistic iso offenses.

jerellh528
10-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Who would you rather have shooting on that team? He's going to get a ton of attempts this year, and if they have a really poor record, people will just blame Kobe even though the lack of talent is the real problem on that roster.

This is the right answer

beasted86
10-22-2014, 02:16 PM
How is him shooting less= team ball? He's always shot the same amount of shots and has got 5 rings to show for it.

Because Kobe is old and will only play a couple more years. He isn't helping the team long term to develop and improve their young players by taking a bunch of shots and turning everyone else into ball-watchers.

Jeffy25
10-22-2014, 02:27 PM
I mean, Kobe kind of needs to shoot any way. Who else is going to put up better shots?

The sheer volume of the shots isn't the issue. It's the quality of them. Is he taking a lot of very contested shots and ignoring open guys? Or is he distributing but shooting more than everyone else?

I think Lin takes a career high per game as well, taking up to 15 a game.

Jeffy25
10-22-2014, 02:28 PM
He's always shot the same amount of shots and has got 5 rings to show for it.

I hope you see the irony in these two statements together, back to back.

SportsFanatic10
10-22-2014, 03:52 PM
i think psd needs to control the kobe threads....this is getting ridiculous

SportsFanatic10
10-22-2014, 03:55 PM
I hope you see the irony in these two statements together, back to back.

so true, he basically just admitted at least on some level that kobe has 5 rings because he's had great talent around him most of his career. it's refreshing to see a laker's fan say this, even if they didn't realize they were saying it lol.

jerellh528
10-22-2014, 04:34 PM
so true, he basically just admitted at least on some level that kobe has 5 rings because he's had great talent around him most of his career. it's refreshing to see a laker's fan say this, even if they didn't realize they were saying it lol.

Duh, of course championship teams need talent around them. But it's no coincidence the consensus top 10 players of all time have multiple rings. The best players find ways to win

SportsFanatic10
10-22-2014, 04:38 PM
Duh, of course championship teams need talent around them. But it's no coincidence the consensus top 10 players of all time have multiple rings. The best players find ways to win

i know it's obvious, but many kobe fans refuse to admit it that's just how it is. the best players find ways to win like you said, but they also played for organizations that could find the teammates they needed to allow them to do so.

Hotone1401
10-22-2014, 05:27 PM

Well it's obvious you don't know hoops.

How do you suppose other players are going to get open shots if Kobe isn't a threat? Do you send anybody else on that roster that could draw a double team? Hell, they don't even have a player to dump it into the post to force the defense to sag this year. If anything, Kobe is going to be required to shoot more just to keep this offense going. Nobody else is going to create their own shot aside from maybe Ronnie Price.

Always the hater. Use some logic.

Hotone1401
10-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Because Kobe is old and will only play a couple more years. He isn't helping the team long term to develop and improve their young players by taking a bunch of shots and turning everyone else into ball-watchers.

Yes, because Kobe signed another two year deal just to develop sub par talent that won't even be on the roster when he retires. You guys sound so stupid. The only player that needs to be developed will be developed through Kobe's help, and that's Randle.

IKnowHoops
10-22-2014, 07:25 PM

No coincidence that the top 10 players of all time had the most help. Accept for Dream.

If Bill Russel and Kevin Love switched careers, Noone would even remember the guy.

beasted86
10-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Yes, because Kobe signed another two year deal just to develop sub par talent that won't even be on the roster when he retires. You guys sound so stupid. The only player that needs to be developed will be developed through Kobe's help, and that's Randle.

So basically you are saying that every single Lakers player has peaked already and has no room for improvement or development except Randle. Nick Young, Wes Johnson, Jeremy Lin, Xavier Henry, Ed Davis are completely done and are already the player they will be for the rest of their career?

I wonder if it's you who doesn't understand how stupid you sound? I guess it's a case of a simpleton laser beam focus on top draft talent like Randle only... quality supporting players make no difference on how well the Lakers will be able to manage their payroll or who they will be able to attract to play for the team in the near future. It's probably an ancient mindset still in place from the old spoiled fanbase that think management can still just go out and buy whatever team they want.

ldawg
10-22-2014, 09:45 PM
would have been great to see another player on that team that can net 17ppg. Would had love to see more ball movement.

P&GRealist
10-22-2014, 09:56 PM
If you've been watching preseason, he's not taking horrible shots. Most of his shots are on the block fading away or catch and shoot (which he's really started incorporating going off ball)

slashsnake
10-23-2014, 05:21 AM
If you've been watching preseason, he's not taking horrible shots. Most of his shots are on the block fading away or catch and shoot (which he's really started incorporating going off ball)

And it's pre-season. If Kobe said he wanted to take every shot for his team while he is out there so he can get as ready as possible... I'd say go for it. He's got the hardest return and is their most important scorer. After all, it's pre-season. Blake Griffin is shooting 20% more shots per game than Kobe.

And about Kobe's "bad" shots. You don't get layups and open shots every time down unless you have the talent across the board and coaching like the Spurs, and even then you need to take tough shots. You saw LA last year without someone who could take those.