PDA

View Full Version : George Refutes Abbott Article: "Now how crazy does that Kobe story sound to you"

amos1er
10-22-2014, 04:53 AM
Paul George spoke up on Twitter to refute a bogus source in the recent Abbott article bashing Kobe Bryant.

Now how crazy does that Kobe story sound to you ? #MediaReachingAgain

Now that this came out to be untrue, how many of these "anonymous sources" of his can we trust.

Abbott really dug himself deep with this one.

http://8points9seconds.com/2014/10/20/paul-george-kobe-bryant-espn-lakers/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network

Saddletramp
10-22-2014, 05:05 AM
This was already referred to and discussed in the Kobe thread about Abbott's article. Does it really need another Kobe thread about what's already been discussed?

amos1er
10-22-2014, 05:36 AM
This was already referred to and discussed in the Kobe thread about Abbott's article. Does it really need another Kobe thread about what's already been discussed?

Then why reply in the first place.

naps
10-22-2014, 05:51 AM
Yeah Paul George or any other player would admit that they stay away from Kobe given the choice. Rocket science!

When was the last time an all-star caliber player in their prime went to play for the Lakers as a FA in past 18 years? LA has everything an athlete can dream for and still Lakers don't get any stars now a days. There has been examples players look for exit sooner than they should from LA. Why? Easy and well-documented answer unless you are a kobe fan.

amos1er
10-22-2014, 06:02 AM
Yeah Paul George or any other player would admit that they stay away from Kobe given the choice. Rocket science!

When was the last time an all-star caliber player in their prime went to play for the Lakers as a FA in past 18 years? LA has everything an athlete can dream for and still Lakers don't get any stars now a days. There has been examples players look for exit sooner than they should from LA. Why? Easy and well-documented answer unless you are a kobe fan.

How many times in the last 18 years has LA been in a position salary cap wise to even sign a premier free agent other than this past year...

tredigs
10-22-2014, 06:09 AM
How many times in the last 18 years has LA been in a position salary cap wise to even sign a premier free agent other than this past year...

How about any vets who have taken clear pay cuts to play with the Lakers since Kobe's been the alpha?

kblo247
10-22-2014, 06:31 AM
How about any vets who have taken clear pay cuts to play with the Lakers since Kobe's been the alpha?

Artest
Nash
Jamison
Barnes
Odom
Fisher
Blake
Brown

The most they've ever had was the mle and they've gotten ron to take it. They got odom to come down from what he was making. Nash came and left cash on the table from Toronto and NY. Fisher after the titles signed up when Miami offered more and a starting role to leave. Blake took less to come when he came as he had other offers. Barnes took less than what Orlando offered him. Shannon stayed with la largely because of kobe by his own admission after the pacers offered more after ring one. Jamison also took the min and the only laker teammate he's ever praised since leaving was kobe for always being up front and blunt.

Want to continue?

Nick Young took the vet min and then took less than mle on a market where they were offering Meeks the like of 6+ plus mil.

Farmar left guaranteed money for a vet min and the thought of starting next to kobe last year.

Hill took less than he was offered on the market after being traded to la to stay, and it was already said by his agent he had a bigger offer than what he took to stay again .

I mean hey but let's act like Kobe's teams magically had cap space in 18 years. Let's act like kobe was selfish by not following Mcgrady and Duncan and opting to become a free agent and demand bigger money and buss never thanked him publicly for agreeing to not ask for market value during the 3 peat. Let's act like kobe when he was averaging 35ppg wasn't making just 15mil.

Let's also act like Paul didn't threaten to sue, Pau didn't write a post telling kobe thank you and they were brothers, or that he made the words pay me mf come out of Shaqs mouth to force him out.

Let's act like Caron, Ariza, and Sasha didn't praise him to this day for helping them off camera in el segundo. Let's act like kobe was the one and not Shaq who got Van Exel traded and then demanded Kidd not come to his team so they had to settle for Lue. Let's act like kobe and not Shaq didn't want Eddie gone as opposed to start next to him as West has admitted publicly; same with acting like it was kobe and not Shaq who fought with Rodman. Let's act like Malone before hitting on Vanessa didn't go in on fsn and call Shaq out for not being in the shape he promised to be in when he and Gary took pay cuts. Hell let's act like kobe didn't take Phil back and make amends after that book.

People question his ability to win? He's done that more than anyone else.

Question his motives for taking money? Where was that when Tim's ayed in a tax free state his whole career and ate up a third of the cap while getting dnp olds, playing less than 30mpg and was being destroyed by Marc and Zach at the cost of 20 mil?

They say oh Melo and Bosh didn't take the max ignoring Melo had a coach in NY, his family was happy, and he got 30 mil more. Bosh stayed in Miami where he doesn't pay state tax, got 30 mil more, and knew the personnel. Where's that questioning when Dwight fn Howard and James Harden can't even attract a ring chaser ltr alone a name? Or when Dirk has had cap space multiple times in his career and can't get a top guy?

How the **** could George say no when he was never a free agent? How could love say no when he never touched a fa market? I'm waiting

tredigs
10-22-2014, 06:39 AM
Artest
Nash
Jamison
Barnes
Odom
Fisher
Blake
Brown

The most they've ever had was the mle and they've gotten ron to take it. They got odom to come down from what he was making. Nash came and left cash on the table from Toronto and NY. Fisher after the titles signed up when Miami offered more and a starting role to leave. Blake took less to come when he came as he had other offers. Barnes took less than what Orlando offered him. Shannon stayed with la largely because of kobe by his own admission after the pacers offered more after ring one. Jamison also took the min and the only laker teammate he's ever praised since leaving was kobe for always being up front and blunt.

Want to continue?

Nick Young took the vet min and then took less than mle on a market where they were offering Meeks the like of 6+ plus mil.

Farmar left guaranteed money for a vet min and the thought of starting next to kobe last year.

Hill took less than he was offered on the market after being traded to la to stay, and it was already said by his agent he had a bigger offer than what he took to stay again .

I mean hey but let's act like Kobe's teams magically had cap space in 18 years. Let's act like kobe was selfish by not following Mcgrady and Duncan and opting to become a free agent and demand bigger money and buss never thanked him publicly for agreeing to not ask for market value during the 3 peat. Let's act like kobe when he was averaging 35ppg wasn't making just 15mil.

Let's also act like Paul didn't threaten to sue, Pau didn't write a post telling kobe thank you and they were brothers, or that he made the words pay me mf come out of Shaqs mouth to force him out.

Let's act like Caron, Ariza, and Sasha didn't praise him to this day for helping them off camera in el segundo. Let's act like kobe was the one and not Shaq who got Van Exel traded and then demanded Kidd not come to his team so they had to settle for Lue. Let's act like kobe and not Shaq didn't want Eddie gone as opposed to start next to him as West has admitted publicly; same with acting like it was kobe and not Shaq who fought with Rodman. Let's act like Malone before hitting on Vanessa didn't go in on fsn and call Shaq out for not being in the shape he promised to be in when he and Gary took pay cuts. Hell let's act like kobe didn't take Phil back and make amends after that book.

Question his motives for taking money? Where was that when Tim's ayed in a tax free state his whole career and ate up a third of the cap while getting dnp olds, playing less than 30mpg and was being destroyed by Marc and Zach at the cost of 20 mil?

They say oh Melo and Bosh didn't take the max ignoring Melo had a coach in NY, his family was happy, and he got 30 mil more. Bosh stayed in Miami where he doesn't pay state tax, got 30 mil more, and knew the personnel. Where's that questioning when Dwight fn Howard and James Harden can't even attract a ring chaser ltr alone a name? Or when Dirk has had cap space multiple times in his career and can't get a top guy?

How the **** could George say no when he was never a free agent? How could love say no when he never touched a fa market? I'm waiting
I am cracking up at the tone of your message (only made it a couple lines in, but I get your message).

My question was legitimate, in case you thought otherwise.

That said, it's an unimpressive list and I'd likely question a few of those. EG I'm not sure who's offering Artest much more than what he got in LA; he was 30 and they matched the most he'd made in his career. Was he offered more that I'm not aware of? Obviously he did like Kobe (and more so Odom) and was glad to join them, though. The others I'd have to look into more tomorrow when I'm not tired.

ewing
10-22-2014, 06:45 AM
who cares?

P&GRealist
10-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Artest
Nash
Jamison
Barnes
Odom
Fisher
Blake
Brown

Want to continue?

Signed. Sealed. Delivered.

Chronz
10-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Is that Kobe article any good?

Chronz
10-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Wait... wat about Tmac and Duncan?

jerellh528
10-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Artest
Nash
Jamison
Barnes
Odom
Fisher
Blake
Brown

Want to continue?

:burn:

Hotone1401
10-22-2014, 02:23 PM
T
I am cracking up at the tone of your message (only made it a couple lines in, but I get your message).

That said, it's an unimpressive list and I'd likely question a few of those. EG I'm not sure who's offering Artest much more than what he got in LA; he was 30 and they matched the most he'd made in his career. Was he offered more that I'm not aware of? Obviously he did like Kobe (and more so Odom) and was glad to join them, though. The others I'd have to look into more tomorrow when I'm not tired.

What players were available through free agency during that time? Kobe didn't have the luxury of colluding with his butt buddies to join in their prime.

kblo247
10-22-2014, 04:21 PM

Kobe chose to not become a free agent before the 3 peat because Buss expressed concerns over the pay. Kobe gave him a cut that he could afford to retain jones/ later rice. He could have went on the market like Tim and Tracy and got paid, hell he was an all star already and top merch mover and only what 20-21?

It's always laughable when people say he should have took less. He did take less to make the 3 peat happen and Buss thanked him publicly for it which always goes over looked. Hell Kobe's first 3 years he didn't even make 5 mil total, and in the 3 peat he made less than guys like Parsons make now

jerellh528
10-22-2014, 04:32 PM

?

mrblisterdundee
10-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Paul George spoke up on Twitter to refute a bogus source in the recent Abbott article bashing Kobe Bryant.

Now that this came out to be untrue, how many of these "anonymous sources" of his can we trust.

Abbott really dug himself deep with this one.

http://8points9seconds.com/2014/10/20/paul-george-kobe-bryant-espn-lakers/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network

Why are you assuming it's not true just because Paul George said so? George is a lying scumbag who won't even take credit for his child. And Abbott was quoting "sources," which means he wasn't even reporting it as absolute fact.
I will say this, though: ESPN needs to stop using all these anonymous "sources." That won't happen, though, because ESPN is focused on making click bait stories, and anonymous sources tend to make more click bait-worthy comments.

P&GRealist
10-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Kobe chose to not become a free agent before the 3 peat because Buss expressed concerns over the pay. Kobe gave him a cut that he could afford to retain jones/ later rice. He could have went on the market like Tim and Tracy and got paid, hell he was an all star already and top merch mover and only what 20-21?

It's always laughable when people say he should have took less. He did take less to make the 3 peat happen and Buss thanked him publicly for it which always goes over looked. Hell Kobe's first 3 years he didn't even make 5 mil total, and in the 3 peat he made less than guys like Parsons make now

You should be banned for making sense.

P&GRealist
10-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Didn't Paul George choose the #24 because he grew up idolizing Kobe?

amos1er
10-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Artest
Nash
Jamison
Barnes
Odom
Fisher
Blake
Brown

Want to continue?

Wow... That was some serious ownage!!! Can't believe Tre would set himself up like that. People are claiming some ridiculous **** against Kobe now a days. Guess there is nothing left to hate on, so they are just making up **** now.

amos1er
10-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Why are you assuming it's not true just because Paul George said so? George is a lying scumbag who won't even take credit for his child. And Abbott was quoting "sources," which means he wasn't even reporting it as absolute fact.
I will say this, though: ESPN needs to stop using all these anonymous "sources." That won't happen, though, because ESPN is focused on making click bait stories, and anonymous sources tend to make more click bait-worthy comments.

Why should we assume you know what you are talking about when you say he is lying. I do agree about ESPN and their anonymous sources though. Any Joe Schmo can go and write a story with so called anonymous sources. As far as I'm concerned, until someone comes out and confirms one of these anonymous sources, the story has absolutely zero credibility. Seems this story just appeals to those who believe what they want to and are looking to justify and further their own agendas. Pretty pathetic really.

Bostonjorge
10-22-2014, 11:35 PM
I remember cp3(a true superstar)was trying to force his way to LA to play with kobe. He even treathen to sue the NBA for blocking it from happening.

AllBall
10-22-2014, 11:44 PM
I remember cp3(a true superstar)was trying to force his way to LA to play with kobe. He even treathen to sue the NBA for blocking it from happening.

How quickly people forget that Stern is the reason the Lakers are in the shape they are (the veto then caused a sour-graped Gasol to stay in LA). Even I know that, and I don't like Kobe or the Lakers but ESPN is a piece of turd.

kblo247
10-23-2014, 01:51 AM
T

What players were available through free agency during that time? Kobe didn't have the luxury of colluding with his butt buddies to join in their prime.
This.

KG signed the biggest dealing history that no one would have ever gave him. Tracy and Tim were on the market when Kobe took his low pay to retain Eddie/Rice. Kidd and JO were free agents the same time PAyton and MAlone were brought in. Iverson never was a free agent in that time, the Miami big 3 formed while la was winning, and Yao retired before ever becoming a free agent.

There was never a time to go for a name unless if you're talking Larry Hughes.

The fact is Kobe in his prime, talking those wasted years thought 3 deals were done. Boozer as every LA fan knows in a deal around George to go with Caron, Kobe, and Lamar. There was Baron who he admittedly recruited also in a deal around George before he was dealt to GSW. And lastly Kidd who was older than when they initially had a deal done for Van Eel that Shaw threw a ***** fit over

There has never been a magical period where they had cap space before last summer. And the only guy he's ever lost was Dwight who admittedly said he never wanted to be dealt there and thought they would redirect him to Brooklyn, and even then it was Nash, Artest , and Pau that took shots at Dwight

Shlumpledink
10-23-2014, 03:23 AM
Most unbiased people knew the article was a hatchet job. Most people who know anything about journalism know this was a hatchet job.

Nothing to see here, Abbott loses a lot of credibility and so should ESPN, but it gave their daytime talk/debate shows fodder to talk about

slashsnake
10-23-2014, 04:53 AM
Artest
Nash (got 9 mil a year after his worst season since the 90's at age 38.. Who else was offering more than 27 million guaranteed? NY had the 1 year deal)
Jamison (signed the same deal a year later for Donald Sterling)
Barnes (more than he made the year before LA or after, 2 of the 4 highest paying years in his career)
Odom (5 highest paying years... all by the Lakers)
Fisher (took a lot less to leave LA for the Thunder)
Blake (his deal with LA paid him twice what any of his other deals ever did, 400% more than his one after LA)
Brown (Kwame? Averaged 5 mil a year over his career, 8 mil a year with LA though, and all three of his top paying years... IN LA... but lets not let facts get in the way here.)

I get the parts that other guys on other teams haven't attracted FA's either, but they aren't in LA. Players used to fight to get to LA. They'd burn bridges to get there. Now, one of the biggest FA losses of the past few years was Dwight leaving LA. Not just not getting guys, but not getting guys to even come out for a lot of those free agents.

Chronz
10-23-2014, 02:23 PM
?

So you've just admitted you dont read the posts you "+1". Not surprised in the slightest.

Chronz
10-23-2014, 02:32 PM
A small gesture compared to the home town discount Duncan gave his teams over his career. Tmac never really got to that phase in his career, injuries took him down before anyone could give a **** what he did next. And Tmac basically made Kobe type money anyways so its not a big sacrifice.

Yeah but its a far different cap structure today, its more about the % of cap taken but overall, I dont really care about the money when it comes to dissecting careers. Even if it influences how the team ur on can build around you.

D-Leethal
10-23-2014, 02:44 PM

Artest was in line for a mega pay day whether he was 30 or not. It was widely regarded as a huge paycut at the time. He was coming off putting Houston on his back after TMac and Yao both went down, winning a playoff series and taking the champs to an extremely hard fought 7 game series in round 2. He was gonna get paid.

That said, I do kind of agree with you. Most of those guys mentioned weren't really quality vets taking the vet min to play with Kobe the way you see them flock to LeBron. There were various reasons those guys took what they took and it wasn't always to play with Kobe i.e. Swaggy P and Farmar being LA kids, Nash not wanting to move his family to the East Coast and envisioning a contender with dwight etc.

I just wanted to chime in about Artest - he was due for a mega pay day. Maybe not 5 years, but someone was gonna give him 12M+ for a few years after the season and playoff he had.

Chronz
10-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Artest was in line for a mega pay day whether he was 30 or not. It was widely regarded as a huge paycut at the time. He was coming off putting Houston on his back after TMac and Yao both went down, winning a playoff series and taking the champs to an extremely hard fought 7 game series in round 2. He was gonna get paid.
Not by Houston tho, cant remember who else was in the market for his services.

Maybe not 5 years, but someone was gonna give him 12M+ for a few years after the season and playoff he had.
Holy hell man, 12M may not be much today but back then, that was star money almost. i say 10 and even thats an overpay.

That said, the premise is dumb. Players sign places for a multitude of reasons. Ray Allen didn't want to sign with Bron in Cleveland but he'll take less to play with him in Miami.

Tony_Starks
10-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Paul George is lying. He doesn't want to play with Kobe.

-Tyson Chandler recently said Melo was close to coming to LA but didn't know how they would fill out the lineup. He's lying.

-Julius Randle just said "I want to be like Kobe, I don't want to be like Shaq." He's a big liar.

- Brandon Jennings recently said "I view Kobe the way you guys view Jordan, I appreciate greatness." He's a serious liar.

The GMs recently voted Kobe the second (tied with Bron) player they want to take the last shot. They're idiots.

Everybody is lying man, nobody wants to play with Kobe he destroys teams and wins championships.....

kblo247
10-24-2014, 02:45 AM
I get the parts that other guys on other teams haven't attracted FA's either, but they aren't in LA. Players used to fight to get to LA. They'd burn bridges to get there. Now, one of the biggest FA losses of the past few years was Dwight leaving LA. Not just not getting guys, but not getting guys to even come out for a lot of those free agents.
Hey yo,

Nash - Toronto offered more and Dwight wasn't a LAker, Bynum was when he inked
Jamison - was offered more by the bobcats and a starting role, only took the min after hurting his wrist and dips by Pringles
Barnes - he still took less off the market and cited solely because of him and Kobe texting all summer
Odom - his salary figure and his actual salary aren't the same, he had a kicker from the Shaq deal that was paid up front. Odom also was offered another role by Miami
Fisher - he didn't leave LA for OKC, he turned Miami down to return to LA at the behest of Kobe, got traded at the deadline, and signed with OKC which a hr away from his moms house after a rockets buyout
Blake - Blake by his own admission was offered more on the free market after his half year as a clipper, and took part the male on. A flat pay after an imposed deadline where he was told you or Ridenour sign first
Brown - Shannon, not Kwame, hell Kobe didn't even know about Kwame as he found out about the Caron deal watching ESPN. Shannon was offered more to leave by Indiana after his first title, but stayed for less and thanked Kobe for making him a basketball bible

I got news for you your burn bridges thing is foolish ... No one burned bridges. Since Shaq, Kobe, Fish, Horry, and Fox all came there the same summer ... who burned a bridge?

Rice was traded for because Eddie Jones and Shaq didn't get along; Rice walked out on a title team
Horace was traded for, walked out on a title team to go to the MAgic
Lue was traded for because Nick and Shaq beefed; walked out
Rodman was signed because he and Buss gambled and partied together
Malone and Payton came freely
PAu was traded for but wanted to be a Bull dating back to a year before he was dealt
Dwight didn't want to be there and wanted Brooklyn
Nash chose to go
Artest chose to go
Ariza was traded for and left by his own will
Harper came to retire there

Shaq didn't attract guys either since 96 ... In fact since the summer of 96, they've never landed the big free agency fish, and that not on Kobe. They've always made their wheels turn with trades and the mle

SF8
10-24-2014, 03:00 AM
Why not change this forum's title from "NBA" forum to "Kobe" forum? Anyone oppose?

numba1CHANGsta
10-24-2014, 04:15 AM
Kobe doesn't need you, you need Kobe