PDA

View Full Version : How good of a mentor will Kobe Bryant be to Randle?

beasted86
10-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Kobe Bryant has taken it upon himself to to mentor Lakers rookie Julius Randle. Randle was benched after halftime of Sundayís game against the Utah Jazz. Coach Byron Scott said after the game he didnít think Randle was playing as hard as he could.

When asked about the Lakersí top draft choice and the opportunities afforded him, Bryant kept things simple. "You f--- this up, you're a really big idiot, you know what I mean? ESPN are idiots, but then you're a really big idiot if you manage to f--- this up"
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/kobe-bryants-on-lakers-rookie-he-cant-expletive-this-up

Kobe Bryant was speaking on the fact that he and Byron Scott will be mentoring him so he believes that will give Randle an advantage.

Kobe Bryant hasn't really been in this role before. In previous years he had no patience and wanted win-now players around him. How do you think Kobe Bryant will respond to his new role, and how do you think Randle will respond to Kobe Bryant?

sixers247
10-21-2014, 09:19 AM
:yawn:

Chronz
10-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Hes not the young prick he used to be, hes developed into one of the better all-around mentors/role models in the game. He will bring out the best in this guy.

hugepatsfan
10-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Kobe has such an incredible knowledge of the game so I could see it being good for Randle. But lots of times the best players make the worst teachers because they can't relate to players that aren't blessed with such incredible talent. Between that and Kobe seeming like the type of guy that gets annoyed/frustrated really easily I can see him making an awful mentor just as easily as a great one. We'll see.

ewing
10-21-2014, 09:35 AM
idk

jaydubb
10-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Kobe can be a good mentor. He will be good for randle.

Also to answer your other question, I don't know how coachable randle is but I do know randle grew up a huge kobe fan and he has already said he will try to learn as much from him as possible and I think he will.

5ass
10-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Kobe Bryant

2-ONE-5
10-21-2014, 10:40 AM
enough with the Kobe threads please. my god its annoying

RockChalk08
10-21-2014, 10:42 AM
As a proven winner, I don't think that Kobe will be a terrible mentor at all! Having grown up with the hype surrounding Randle, I think that he will bounce back from this! It is one game, you cannot expect someone who went to kentucky, went to the national championship as a freshman, to be a top prospect in the draft as well as in college to not have a big ego. He will settle down and be a top forward in the league for years if Kobe can dumb down that ego, which shouldnt be too hard. I mean common, he is the black mamba.

beasted86
10-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Kobe Bryant

This is a thread about Kobe Bryant. You got a problem with that?

AIRMAR72
10-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Kobe has such an incredible knowledge of the game so I could see it being good for Randle. But lots of times the best players make the worst teachers because they can't relate to players that aren't blessed with such incredible talent. Between that and Kobe seeming like the type of guy that gets annoyed/frustrated really easily I can see him making an awful mentor just as easily as a great one. We'll see. you got joke's Kobe ain't gon do a damn thing

albertajaysfan
10-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Kobe can be such a prick and his knowledge of the game is incredible. Randle will either thrive with the mentorship or crumble. Not everyone responds to aggressive mentorship. It is also important as a mentor to know when and how to push. I don't have a lot of faith that Kobe has developed that skill. He only seems to know one mode, hyper aggressive competitor.

Jamiecballer
10-21-2014, 12:29 PM
bahahahaha

IKnowHoops
10-21-2014, 02:23 PM
The best teachers are also the best students. Kobe wouldn't listen to Phil or Shaq when he was younger. He hasn't listened to a single coach since either. Kobe will be the worst mentor in the history of mentors.

jerellh528
10-21-2014, 02:35 PM
I don't see kobe really "mentoring" randle. Maybe teaching him some tricks of the trade and kind of installing that winners, be the best mentality. But kobe is probably too focused on the season to worry about being a mentor. That's a coaches job, or maybe a guy like boozer.

Tony_Starks
10-21-2014, 03:45 PM
According to Randle Kobe has already helped him by encouraging him to stop hesitating on his mid range shot. Randle would miss and just stop shooting, Kobe told him he has to keep shooting it to keep the defense honest.

If you watched the last game it appeared to make a difference....

Jeffy25
10-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Much like Jordan, I doubt he can mentor as well as he can play.

You would need a guy to basically be just like Kobe for it to be a good mentor/protege role I feel. I don't think Kobe can understand differing perspectives very well. Then again, I don't know him personally, and my opinion can't be any more accurate than anyone elses in here.

IBleedPurple
10-21-2014, 04:03 PM
And the countdown restarts. Kobe

Jeffy25
10-21-2014, 04:36 PM
And the countdown restarts. Kobe

Skip Bayless thread

todu82
10-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Meh, Kobe's a good player but I don't know if he's the best mentor in the world for Randle.

Avenged
10-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Depends on Randle mentality. When kobe gets on his *** he needs to respond.

5ass
10-21-2014, 06:29 PM
This is a thread about Kobe Bryant. You got a problem with that?

Kobe, Bryant.

jerellh528
10-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Much like Jordan, I doubt he can mentor as well as he can play.

You would need a guy to basically be just like Kobe for it to be a good mentor/protege role I feel. I don't think Kobe can understand differing perspectives very well. Then again, I don't know him personally, and my opinion can't be any more accurate than anyone elses in here.
I agree with this, good post

P&GRealist
10-22-2014, 11:17 PM
Depends on Randle mentality. When kobe gets on his *** he needs to respond.

Bingo