PDA

View Full Version : Let's guess what would happen if Michael Jordan came straight out of high school

jericho
10-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Assuming what we know already and all his other years stayed intact. What stats do you guys think he would have put those first 3yrs from 18-21? Let's say the bulls still drafted him. Hell let's say he didn't retire those 2 times and the bulls team was kept together.

What would his all time numbers look like then?
How many rings and records he would have gotten?

Raps18-19 Champ
10-20-2014, 11:19 PM
If he came out of HS, then he wouldn't have won his title until his 9th season. Though apparently, if you win your title later in your career based on seasons (despite being the same age) is apparently terrible.

jerellh528
10-20-2014, 11:23 PM
His numbers might not look as good because he developed a ton in college but his collective amount of stats would be higher on all times lists obvi

ewing
10-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Dean Smith is the only man in history to hold MJ under 20 a night

albertajaysfan
10-21-2014, 12:51 PM
I think the better question is about him not retiring.

He might have challenged Russell for most titles by a superstar. He would also be above Kareem on the points list.

IKnowHoops
10-21-2014, 01:07 PM
He definitely would of been the all time leading scorer, by a mile.

Kaner
10-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Hakeem would be known as his greatest rival
They'd probably have split the titles between 93-95
Bulls beat the Spurs in '99 lose to the lakers in '00 marking the end of the dynasty'

He'd be about 4000 points ahead of Kareem if he never retires and my guess would be ~9k-10k points ahead of kareem if he comes straight outta highschool

SoulBrotha
10-21-2014, 01:32 PM
The knicks wouldve actually won a championship. One can only dream

boboo73
10-21-2014, 01:45 PM
If he came out of HS, then he wouldn't have won his title until his 9th season. Though apparently, if you win your title later in your career based on seasons (despite being the same age) is apparently terrible.

Or you wouldnt be comparing apples to apples - not terrible just a stupid comparison.

sixers247
10-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Honestly he might not of been drafted.

crewfan13
10-21-2014, 02:00 PM
Its hard to say, because while Jordan made strides at UNC, its entirely possible that the Bulls organization would have recognized his stardom, and attempted to make a Scottie Pippen type trade earlier. Let's say they try to trade up in 85 or something instead of 87, and instead of Pippen as his main running mate, Jordon plays alongside Detlef Schrempf. Very well could be having a much different conversation about Jordan if the Bulls were never able to find him another Hall of Fame caliber number 2.

ghettosean
10-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Honestly he might not of been drafted.

This...

Being realistic he had to really prove himself in his highschool days to finally make the team but if he went to the NBA straight out of highschool and didn't retire "twice" honestly I can't even fathom what else he would add to his resume but he would definately be the all time leading scorer in NBA history, probably be ahead of Wilt for Championships and I'm sure he'd get a few more MVPs, Final MVPs, DPOY, All Star MVPs... etc

TrueFan420
10-21-2014, 07:24 PM
I think the better question is about him not retiring.

He might have challenged Russell for most titles by a superstar. He would also be above Kareem on the points list.

Agreed I think that is the better question and outside of titles his stats wouldn't be too hard to predict barring injury.

Jeffy25
10-21-2014, 09:12 PM
His 84-85 season would have been better, because there is no doubt that he would have begun his adjustment to the NBA level more quickly, and by that time, he would have already been better.

But the real hypothetical for me, is did Jordan need what he gained from UNC to become the great that he became?

I'll take some guesses though:

Would have been a second round or late first round pick at best

81-82 - 60 games - 900 total points
82-83 - 75 games - 1350 total points
83-84 - 82 games - 2000 total points

Career total changes:
1289 games - 36,542 total points (would still be third all time in points, but much closer to Malone)
28.35 ppg (would be behind Wilt at this point)

No more titles, maybe an additional all-star appearance. But that's really it for me. He would spend the first two years developing, and by the third year be an everyday starter contributing at an all-star level.

He also, very likely, wouldn't have been on the Bulls, and not being in a decent sized market would have greatly changed his career.

With the above numbers, I just assume the Bulls take him with their second round pick in 81 (32nd overall)

toekneele
10-21-2014, 10:48 PM
Maybe...he wouldn't have been on the Bulls...lol

xbrackattackx
10-21-2014, 11:58 PM
The better question is, what if he came straight out of Compton?

hidalgo
10-22-2014, 08:52 AM
82 - 19.1 ppg 45% FG
83 - 25.7 ppg 49%
84 - 29.7 ppg 52% FG

94 - 32.1 ppg 50% FG (championship, beat rockets 4-1) dpoty, mvp
95 - 31.2 ppg 49% FG (championship, beat rockets 4-2)

99 - 27.8 ppg 48% FG (championship, beat the spurs 4-2) mvp
00 - 26.9 ppg 46% FG (championship, beat the lakers 4-3, MJ GW at buzzer in OT game 7 over Kobe)
01 - 25.1 ppg 45% FG (beat by 76ers 4-3 2nd round, bulls era ends with 10 straight titles)

MJ retires with about 45,000 points, 10 titles, 10 finals mvps, 7 mvps, 2 dpoty awards

valade16
10-22-2014, 09:11 AM
82 - 19.1 ppg 45% FG
83 - 25.7 ppg 49%
84 - 29.7 ppg 52% FG

94 - 32.1 ppg 50% FG (championship, beat rockets 4-1) dpoty, mvp
95 - 31.2 ppg 49% FG (championship, beat rockets 4-2)

99 - 27.8 ppg 48% FG (championship, beat the spurs 4-2) mvp
00 - 26.9 ppg 46% FG (championship, beat the lakers 4-3, MJ GW at buzzer in OT game 7 over Kobe)
01 - 25.1 ppg 45% FG (beat by 76ers 4-3 2nd round, bulls era ends with 10 straight titles)

MJ retires with about 45,000 points, 10 titles, 10 finals mvps, 7 mvps, 2 dpoty awards

Those seem to be very optimistic projections. The Rockets and Hakeem were one of MJ's toughest matchups, so I doubt the Bulls beat them twice in a row, also while they may win 2 straight there to make it 5 in a row the cumulative effect of that many postseason trips would wear on the team and they probably wouldn't have won all 3 from the 2nd 3-peat.

Also, In 1998 the team was pretty old, they'd only have gotten older and facing the Duncan/D-Rob Spurs followed by the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, I don't think they get by both of them.

I think he'd end up with 8 Titles should he have kept going at it, I certainly don't think a 36 year old Jordan, a 34 year old Scottie, and a 38 year old Rodman would have beaten the Lakers...

hidalgo
10-22-2014, 10:54 AM
i'm assuming in 99 or especially 2000 Rodman is replaced by Webber, or Zo, etc. a bigman who could also score alot of points to help MJ in his graceful decline (& Pippen's not so graceful scoring decline, but still great defense), i think they'd have aged really well like the spurs have

after this i highly doubt he'd have played for the wizards ages 38-40 again

ichitownclowni
10-22-2014, 10:57 AM
The better question is, what if he came straight out of Compton?
Crazy mother ****er named Michael

rapjuicer06
10-22-2014, 05:14 PM
I don't think he would have been any where near what he is with out Dean Smith.

AIRMAR72
10-22-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't think he would have been any where near what he is with out Dean Smith. CORRECT but if Michael Jeffrey Jordan came outta HS in the early 80s he would've only lasted 3 to 5yrs in the league defense was just simply to ruff and rugged back than for any youngster plus with MJ slender body and poor IQ for the NBA game at THAT time he easily would've lost confident MJ don't have Daryl Dawkins body or lebron James who was already a grown man in HS now if Michael Jordan came in the mid 90s or early 2000 it's easier for HS players to adjust and learn in today's NBA due to the change of rules and since mass are young teenager type in today's NBA there is nofear factor imagine any HS football player going into the NFL playing against grown man they be destroyed easily well that is how NBA used to be a league WITH grown man ready to hurt you and put on your back but not anymore

Goose17
10-23-2014, 08:00 AM
What would have happened; Chinas economy would collapse and eventually result in a war with North America and France, North Korea would join forces with Russia and invade Denmark. An Italian man wakes up one day with no legs or arms.

Reason; Butterfly Effect.

72 Wins
10-23-2014, 11:35 AM
^ lmao

HeatFan
10-23-2014, 03:05 PM
What would have happened; Chinas economy would collapse and eventually result in a war with North America and France, North Korea would join forces with Russia and invade Denmark. An Italian man wakes up one day with no legs or arms.

Seems obvious!!! Don't see how that was overlooked when the Thread was created.

jericho
10-23-2014, 03:07 PM

Seems obvious!!! Don't see how that was overlooked when the Thread was created.

Damn it you guys figured out my evil plan.

HeatFan
10-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Damn it you guys figured out my evil plan.

Seriously to your question, barring the physical aspect (size back then) that someone pointed out earlier, and which I think was a smart comment, if he could have held his own and develop at the same rate he did when entering the NBA, the results could have been even more legendary from a statistic standpoint. Impact in general, I don't see how he could have done more. To this day I don't think any sane person questions he was and is the top player in NBA History. That in itself is a lot.

ghettosean
10-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Seriously to your question, barring the physical aspect (size back then) that someone pointed out earlier, and which I think was a smart comment, if he could have held his own and develop at the same rate he did when entering the NBA, the results could have been even more legendary from a statistic standpoint. Impact in general, I don't see how he could have done more. To this day I don't think any sane person questions he was and is the top player in NBA History. That in itself is a lot.

There's some hardcore haters out there dude or just lovers of other players you'll get posters like "Buckets" saying LBJ is the GOAT over MJ already... LOL... Does that make them insane?

Goose17
10-23-2014, 04:18 PM
A more interesting question would be; What if Michael Jordan had never existed? What if he was never born? What if they had a daughter instead of a son?

What would the league be like? Would "who is the greatest of all time" be more debatable? Would Kobe even had made it to the league considering he modeled his entire game after Jordan? How many rings would Stockton and Olajuwon have retired with? How many titles would the Knicks have? Would the majority of the league be wearing converse instead of Nike? What would sneaker heads be buying? Would we still have those short shorts? Would Charles Barkley have gone to Dallas and would they have gotten Stockton as well?

HeatFan
10-23-2014, 04:32 PM
There's some hardcore haters out there dude or just lovers of other players you'll get posters like "Buckets" saying LBJ is the GOAT over MJ already... LOL... Does that make them insane?

So I used "insane" sarcastically but in fact people can have several arguments for liking someone else more, and I respect that. But more times than not, MJ is considered the GOAT. He would always kill the Heat and that irked me but being objective, he was over the top great!! How he ended his career (if you overlook the Wizards), is almost impossible to replicate.

JasonJohnHorn
10-23-2014, 05:25 PM
A better question would be what would Jordan's numbers have been like if he came straight out of the closet. Would team have still invest in him? Would officials have treated him differently?

In all seriousness, guys didn't get drafted out of highschool back then. I think Moses did, but he was ABA and he was BIG and the ABA had no big players. Kemp kinda did (I think he went to community college or something), but Garnett is really the guy who opened the door for that, and that was only because his grades were so bad. If it hadn't been for him, I don't think the 'straight-outta-highschool thing would have ever happened, not even for LBJ. The only reason people were paying attention to LBJ by that time is because so many other guys had come out of highschool before.

Goose17
10-23-2014, 07:34 PM
If Jordan came out as gay it would be one of the most impactful things to ever happen to the game.

The greatest basketball player ever is gay. That would be great for gay people in sports everywhere.

IBleedPurple
10-23-2014, 09:52 PM
If Jordan came out as gay it would be one of the most impactful things to ever happen to the game.

The greatest basketball player ever is gay. That would be great for gay people in sports everywhere.Silly Goose

FlashBolt
10-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Impossible to tell.. Who would draft him, would Pippen be there, would Phil be his coach, etc., but there is no doubt he would have been a legendary player regardless. GOAT? That might be Kareem in most people's eyes.