PDA

View Full Version : New Lakers' identitly for 2014-15 - Kobe says "SMASHMOUTH BASKETBALL"!!!

Rocco007
10-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Serena Winters @SerenaWinters
Follow
Kobe on team's identity: "We're going to be smashmouth basketball. It's going to be nasty, it's going to be physical and it is what is is."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like this...
This is what the Boston Celtics did in 2008 when they weren't the fastest or the most athletic team...
This is what the Pistons did as well in the Late 80s early '90s and 2000s...
When you're not the most talented, you just play harder than everyone else...
Yesterday was a preview...
We can get results with role players...

Avenged
10-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Lmao what an insult.

P&GRealist
10-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Crayons

angelsfan1984
10-20-2014, 06:29 PM
that's code for were going to try to keep our top 5 protected pick.

Lakersfan2483
10-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Serena Winters @SerenaWinters
Follow
Kobe on team's identity: "We're going to be smashmouth basketball. It's going to be nasty, it's going to be physical and it is what is is."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like this...
This is what the Boston Celtics did in 2008 when they weren't the fastest or the most athletic team...
This is what the Pistons did as well in the Late 80s early '90s and 2000s...
When you're not the most talented, you just play harder than everyone else...
Yesterday was a preview...
We can get results with role players...

Those teams you named were loaded with talent and very athletic!!! The 08 Celtics had KG Pierce, Allen, Rondo, etc... The 80's Pistons had Isaiah, Dumars, Rodman, Laimbeer, Aguirre, Dantley, V Johnson. In other words, that's a bad comparison to make between those great teams and this lousy lakers team. I don't even understand why you mentioned this team in the same breathe as those teams.

Hangin n Wangin
10-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Those teams you named were loaded with talent and very athletic!!! The 08 Celtics had KG Pierce, Allen, Rondo, etc... The 80's Pistons had Isaiah, Dumars, Rodman, Laimbeer, Aguirre, Dantley, V Johnson. In other words, that's a bad comparison to make between those great teams and this lousy lakers team. I don't even understand why you mentioned this team in the same breathe as those teams.

He's delusional. Didn't you know?

Chavacano
10-20-2014, 07:36 PM
#hype... not.

jerellh528
10-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Not everything people say is cryptic. Everyone knows our players suck. Smashmouth is all we can do

championships
10-20-2014, 09:36 PM
It's the only chance they have at a win. They sure in the hell won't out run anyone.

Now can they play this way well?

I doubt it.

championships
10-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Plus you can't even sneeze on someone without getting a whistle in the NBA these days.

Tree Rollins
10-20-2014, 10:02 PM
Holy shite you are ******** if you think this team bares any resemblance to those you mentioned in your sig.

xbrackattackx
10-20-2014, 11:18 PM
Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed
She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb
In the shape of an "L" on her forehead

Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb

So much to do, so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow

[Chorus:]
Hey, now, you're an All Star get your game on, go play
Hey, now, you're a Rock Star get the show on get paid
And all that glitters is gold
Only shooting stars break the mold

It's a cool place and they say it gets colder
You're bundled up now but wait 'til you get older
But the media men beg to differ
Judging by the hole in the satellite picture

The ice we skate is getting pretty thin
The water's getting warm so you might as well swim
My world's on fire. How about yours?
That's the way I like it and I'll never get bored.

[Chorus 2x]

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas
I need to get myself away from this place
I said yep, what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself
And we could all use a little change

Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb

So much to do so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

[Chorus]

And all that glitters is gold
Only shootin' stars break the mold

jaydubb
10-20-2014, 11:29 PM
I thought smashmouth was a band not a play style... :confused:

Rocco007
10-20-2014, 11:38 PM
If those teams were athletic..then what the Hell did you call the teams that ended their run? ie; MJ Bulls and the Miami Heat in the east...
I have never ever heard the word athletic being mentioned in the same breath as Dumars, Aguire, Lambeer, Dantley and VJohnson..That's comical...Rodman yes..everyone else no...

Rocco007
10-21-2014, 12:04 AM
Just because we are void of a slew of sexy names doesn't mean we don't have the talent to make this work...
so why not play to our strengths?
Boozer and Randle can outmuscle anyone at the 4 positions...
Hill and Davis can outhustle anyone at the 5 position...
Price is a pitbull off the bench...
Lin is a big strong PG who has been personally challenged by Kobe to defend...ditto Nick Young...
Wesley Johnson if anything...is made for this type of basketball...a ball hawk...and sprinter...ditto Clarkson...
Sacre becomes a more valuable backup as an enforcer...hard fouls, picks and hustle plays...

Iron24th
10-21-2014, 12:24 AM
You'll get burned for that

Lakersfan2483
10-21-2014, 12:56 AM
If those teams were athletic..then what the Hell did you call the teams that ended their run? ie; MJ Bulls and the Miami Heat in the east...
I have never ever heard the word athletic being mentioned in the same breath as Dumars, Aguire, Lambeer, Dantley and VJohnson..That's comical...Rodman yes..everyone else no...

Rodman was athletic. John Salley was athletic. Dantley was a good athlete. Isaiah and Dumars weren't Pippen and MJ, but they were quick, agile pit bulls on the perimeter who were fiercely competitive. The only non athletic guys were Rick Mahorn, Bill Laimbeer and James Edwards.

I just think that was a bad comparison man. I respect your optimistic outlook for the team, but those teams you named were all time great and superbly talented teams that had great chemistry. This current lakers team is nowhere near any of those teams takent wise and not as athletic either. Maybe this Lakers team is athletic as the old school Pistons, but they were head and shoulders above the lakers in terms of personnel.

Rocco007
10-21-2014, 01:17 AM
Rodman was athletic. John Salley was athletic. Dantley was a good athlete. Isaiah and Dumars weren't Pippen and MJ, but they were quick, agile pit bulls on the perimeter who were fiercely competitive. The only non athletic guys were Rick Mahorn, Bill Laimbeer and James Edwards.

I just think that was a bad comparison man. I respect your optimistic outlook for the team, but those teams you named were all time great and superbly talented teams that had great chemistry. This current lakers team is nowhere near any of those teams takent wise and not as athletic either. Maybe this Lakers team is athletic as the old school Pistons, but they were head and shoulders above the lakers in terms of personnel.

MJ and Pippen took some time to beat Detroit...why? their style of ball...
Lebron in Cleveland couldn't beat Boston...why? their style of ball...
Kobe and Gasol lost to Boston in 2008..why? their style of play...
My point being...
Playing hard and outhustling teams can mask weaknesses...
Why not play o our strengths?...
We saw in the 3r quarter how a Utah team who has been playing really good, looked shook and confused...why? because our style of play...

Big Moves03
10-21-2014, 01:17 AM
It's the only chance they have at a win. They sure in the hell won't out run anyone.

Now can they play this way well?

I doubt it.

Anyone can play this style, including anyone in here, as long as you're willing to commit to being super physical and going all out on the floor on every play. This type of style can go a long way, especially in a league that has devolved to consist of a bunch of skill-less weenies that are afraid of contact. Not gonna win a title, but few players/teaams look forward to playing a team that's going to make you pay for taking the ball to the basket.

Big Moves03
10-21-2014, 01:21 AM
Plus you can't even sneeze on someone without getting a whistle in the NBA these days.

That is true, but when you're constantly hitting people the refs become a little desensitized to it and give you a little more rope. The pacers were pretty physical before they had a complete mental breakdown about midway through the season.

Big Moves03
10-21-2014, 01:24 AM
MJ and Pippen took some time to beat Detroit...why? their style of ball...
Lebron in Cleveland couldn't beat Boston...why? their style of ball...
Kobe and Gasol lost to Boston in 2008..why? their style of play...
My point being...
Playing hard and outhustling teams can mask weaknesses...
Why not play o our strengths?...
We saw in the 3r quarter how a Utah team who has been playing really good, looked shook and confused...why? because our style of play...

We're definitely not on par with any previous championship teams, which would all destroy any of the championship teams in the league over the past 4 years or so, but smash mouth bball can make up for weaknesses. The bulls haven't been any better than we were the past two years and they've been able to stay competitive. Although they do play in the east, which makes a big difference.

clehmun
10-21-2014, 04:27 AM
I'm an optimistic fan myself, but to put things in perspective, any team in the league can play this style or SAY that's how they're going to play. Actually, if you ask any player, they'll tell you they'd want to play tough defense and be physical. But once the season starts how many teams have the players to play that way and how many teams can actually sustain that level of play for a full season?

There are reasons why some players are tougher than others. Just because you say you're going to play like the Bad Boys like the Wizards said last week, doesn't mean you can do it.

Lin, Nash, Young, X, Wesley Johnson, Randle, Kelly, Price don't remind me of the tough physical BAD BOYS aka (Artest, Ben Wallace, Dennis Rodman) that will foul you hard and set strong screens etc.

Boozer, Kobe (to avoid injuries), Ed Davis, Hill are tough guys but are either too injury prone to play that way for the whole season or not tough enough to be "BAD BOYS" anchors.

Vinylman
10-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Classic Rocco

#crayons #shortbus

LA_Raiders
10-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I don't know if we have enough talent for that.

royal bob
10-21-2014, 01:48 PM
I love the enthusiasm, but I dont see the Lakers being able to put 5 people on the floor whose bodies will withstand the punishment. Steve Nash can't even carry luggage!

Try this.......

Write down the name of every Lakers player in a column, then think of each one individually. How many times can each one hit the floor before they break? How many can play close up basketball without stepping on someone's foot and rolling an ankle?

Excellent defense is played with your feet...not your hands. The reason the Lakers are committing an unusual number of fouls is because they arent quick enough, and they are reaching in. Scott may be able to coach that out of them, but he cant coach speed. Proper positioning can only make up for so much

Rocco007
10-21-2014, 02:22 PM
I love the enthusiasm, but I dont see the Lakers being able to put 5 people on the floor whose bodies will withstand the punishment. Steve Nash can't even carry luggage!

Try this.......

Write down the name of every Lakers player in a column, then think of each one individually. How many times can each one hit the floor before they break? How many can play close up basketball without stepping on someone's foot and rolling an ankle?

Excellent defense is played with your feet...not your hands. The reason the Lakers are committing an unusual number of fouls is because they arent quick enough, and they are reaching in. Scott may be able to coach that out of them, but he cant coach speed. Proper positioning can only make up for so much

Carlos Boozer ....19pts 9 rebs 6 steals...
Our slowest PF...
It can work...

Lakersfan2483
10-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Carlos Boozer ....19pts 9 rebs 6 steals...
Our slowest PF...
It can work...

He means to sustain that effort over an entire year.

angelsfan1984
10-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Clarkson, Kobe, Wes, Randle, Davis...fun to watch...should guarantee our top 5 protected. Get these players developed. Lin, Swaggy, X, Boozer, Hill would also be quite the bench.

Rocco007
10-21-2014, 04:12 PM
He means to sustain that effort over an entire year.
Carlos Boozer has actually been a pleasant surprise...His attitude has been superb...He's out there trying...he's being a vocal leader...
While most laker fans aren't, I'm counting on Randle to step up and shine...
He's a beast in a ground and pound type of game...defenders bounce off of him like little flies...
on defense he's showing flashes...

8kobe24
10-21-2014, 06:01 PM
If EVERYONE buys into this "smashmouth" style of play, sure it might work. The lakers just might be able to squeeze into the playoffs (if they can stay healthy) playing "smashmouth" basketball. Yes I am skeptical... because this group is considered by many to be mediocre...and nothing close to the teams the OP mentioned and compares them to.

Bozeman
10-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Doesnt matter how smashmouth you get, if you dont have talent to go with it then its useless. But yes we can be those 40 year olds playing the 20 year olds on a street basketball court. We can give some bruises out the first couple of minutes but we still getting run off the court eventually.

numba1CHANGsta
10-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Yeah it's gonna be nasty alright, everyone will be injured if they played "smash mouth" basketball

MLB2K10King
10-22-2014, 12:20 AM
that's code for were going to try to keep our top 5 protected pick.

You sir, have just won the internet!

rhd420
10-22-2014, 04:38 PM
Yeah it's gonna be nasty alright, everyone will be injured if they played "smash mouth" basketball

--- add it to Bryon Scott saying this team will be playing defense
Hey it's the preseason so working out the kinks - NOW if there is any discussion about the "Princeton" offense, Mike Brown is smiling somewhere

Plus/Minus 10 games before Kobe throws his team mates under the bus, 40 till he blames Byron Scott? Smash mouth huh - I think he meant Smash Mouth the band is going to play a song at a Lakers game called Basketball

lakersfan01
10-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Our paleolithic backcourt just screams smash mouth basketball :laugh2: