PDA

View Full Version : Add it to the list: Rick Carlisle says LeBron is one of the five greatest NBA players

FlashBolt
10-19-2014, 01:10 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/rick-carlisle-says-lebron-james-top-5-player-time/

Raps18-19 Champ
10-19-2014, 01:12 AM
1 man's opinion.

Someone like Pippen said the same thing. Barkley said that Lebron doesn't need 6 rings and that he needs 2-3 rings to be in the GOAT discussion.

People flip back and forth but when Lebron is gone from the league for like 10-20 years, most will probably have him in that top 5 range.

IKnowHoops
10-19-2014, 03:22 AM
I happen to agree with Rick. He's absolutely right. No question.

IKnowHoops
10-19-2014, 03:25 AM
“He could end up being the very best, we’ll just have to see,” Carlisle said. “A lot of that’s yet to be written. He’s top five [all time] for sure, if you’re asking my opinion.”

-Rick Carlisle

I'll go with this guy rather than a child who makes dupe accounts to cheat vote on PSD rankings.

YesMcCann
10-19-2014, 03:44 AM
Not the GOAT. Won't be considered as such, ever. Top 5 is reasonable. Legend status.

Bruno
10-19-2014, 04:03 AM
Not the GOAT. Won't be considered as such, ever. Top 5 is reasonable. Legend status.

x2. reasonable with another 4-5 years of strong showing and success, which he has set himself up for perfectly.

WaDe03
10-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Won't be considered better than Jordan since he's running back and forth trying to stack his teams ring chasing. That being said he will probably be second best.

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-19-2014, 01:11 PM
I happen to agree with Rick. He's absolutely right. No question.

Lolololol

PurpleLynch
10-19-2014, 01:28 PM
It's too early to say,James has still a good amount of years ahead of him. Right now I'm more comfortable saying that he will be surely a top 10 at the end of his career,but top 5 is still too early.

DoMeFavors
10-19-2014, 01:30 PM
This statement by Carlisle makes himself look good because he is saying he coached a team that beat a top 5 player so there for he is one of the best coaches of all time. Self promoting right here thats all this is.

ldawg
10-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Lebron is original. more on the lines of doing things the nba have never seen done from someone his size. More on the line magic but if he win more rings and keep putting up numbers then I could see him surpass Mj. They make these statements base on his ability. He is more gifted than mj. Kobe and mj were limited to sg/sf lebron on the other hand pg/sg/sf/pf and crazy as it sound in today's Game Center against some teams. I think when they say he is better than mj it's just the things he can do and not what he accomplished. Accomplishment is like saying fisher was a better pg than Stockton.

TrueFan420
10-20-2014, 08:43 PM
I'm so tired of people saying he can play 1-4 or 1-5. He can play PG and PF In small spirts but he cant play a full season logging minutes at either position. PG maybe but it would takes away from what puts him in the convo. His body couldn't handle for 30 minutes a night at PF even in this era of small ball and stretch 4's. Hell I'd be fine putting Jordan on bargs and some of the other flasid PF's of this era for stretches like Lebron does. And Jordan was more than capable of creating shots for his teammates. He even was tried at PG but Jackson found that it took away from his game in the long run. Bron is no different.

Tony_Starks
10-20-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm sure Carlisle is eternally grateful to Lebron for his epic choke against Dallas....

Arch Stanton
10-20-2014, 10:54 PM
I'm sure Carlisle is eternally grateful to Lebron for his epic choke against Dallas....

Man you really are a jealous hater! Maybe if LeBron had some abnormally WIDE hips you'd show him some love. #assman

ldawg
10-20-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm so tired of people saying he can play 1-4 or 1-5. He can play PG and PF In small spirts but he cant play a full season logging minutes at either position. PG maybe but it would takes away from what puts him in the convo. His body couldn't handle for 30 minutes a night at PF even in this era of small ball and stretch 4's. Hell I'd be fine putting Jordan on bargs and some of the other flasid PF's of this era for stretches like Lebron does. And Jordan was more than capable of creating shots for his teammates. He even was tried at PG but Jackson found that it took away from his game in the long run. Bron is no different.dude quit. Mj did not have Lebron mass. Marion playing the 4 and Lebron playing the 4 aint the same. one can bang one cant.

P&GRealist
10-20-2014, 11:10 PM
This statement by Carlisle makes himself look good because he is saying he coached a team that beat a top 5 player so there for he is one of the best coaches of all time. Self promoting right here thats all this is.

That's something Phil Jackson would probably say with his Zen mind games haha

bucketss
10-21-2014, 12:23 AM
he's just stating the obvious, i would rank him #2 behind the arrogant gambler.

TrueFan420
10-21-2014, 12:28 AM
dude quit. Mj did not have Lebron mass. Marion playing the 4 and Lebron playing the 4 aint the same. one can bang one cant.

Of course bron is bigger than MJ not denying that. But bron can't play the PF spot for an entire season in this current era and would struggle to do it in stints in an era like Jordan was in. Some of the PF now are such a joke. And the lack of post game is why because they can't punish them in the post. My point is that saying bron can play 1-4 or 1-5 is B.S. He's a wing. A special one but one none the less. Make him full time anything else and he's not in the GOAT conversation. Jackson tried turning MJ into a PG and failed. Not because he couldn't create for his teammates but cause when it came late in the game he had expelled to much energy doing other things that he wasn't as prolific taking over. Lebron is the same albeit much bigger. He could play PG in stretches and PF because the league has turned to small ball and stretch 4's but that doesn't mean he can play anything other than wing full time.

IKnowHoops
10-21-2014, 12:54 AM
Of course bron is bigger than MJ not denying that. But bron can't play the PF spot for an entire season in this current era and would struggle to do it in stints in an era like Jordan was in. Some of the PF now are such a joke. And the lack of post game is why because they can't punish them in the post. My point is that saying bron can play 1-4 or 1-5 is B.S. He's a wing. A special one but one none the less. Make him full time anything else and he's not in the GOAT conversation. Jackson tried turning MJ into a PG and failed. Not because he couldn't create for his teammates but cause when it came late in the game he had expelled to much energy doing other things that he wasn't as prolific taking over. Lebron is the same albeit much bigger. He could play PG in stretches and PF because the league has turned to small ball and stretch 4's but that doesn't mean he can play anything other than wing full time.

Actually back in the day PF were 6-6 to 6-9 (Barkley 6-6, Malone 6-9, LJ, 6-7, Webber 6-9, Rodman 6-7, Oakley 6-9) Lebron would of had an easier time plaing PF in the 80's and 90's. He's bigger and stronger than all of those guys accept Malone. If he were to only play PF he could easily play PF now or then, but he's just so good he's got his hands on the ball all the time, and he is asked to do so much, so thats why he would get tired.

Noone asked Malone, Barkley, or Rodman to bring the ball up the court 75% of the time, create for others, guard the PG and defend the other teams best player. Bron can do everything so he is asked to do everything. If all he had to do was play one position he could easily.

TrueFan420
10-21-2014, 01:15 AM
Z
[/B]

Actually back in the day PF were 6-6 to 6-9 (Barkley 6-6, Malone 6-9, LJ, 6-7, Webber 6-9, Rodman 6-7, Oakley 6-9) Lebron would of had an easier time plaing PF in the 80's and 90's. He's bigger and stronger than all of those guys accept Malone. If he were to only play PF he could easily play PF now or then, but he's just so good he's got his hands on the ball all the time, and he is asked to do so much, so thats why he would get tired.

Noone asked Malone, Barkley, or Rodman to bring the ball up the court 75% of the time, create for others, guard the PG and defend the other teams best player. Bron can do everything so he is asked to do everything. If all he had to do was play one position he could easily.

Some were short yes but some were taller. Webber was 6'10/11 by the way. However, those names you listed didn't just sit out on the 3 pt line or pull up and take jumpers. lebron would not be able to handle those guys night in night out for 30 minutes a game. While rodman might not have had the post moves some those guys had he'd also beat the hell out of bron throught the game like he's never seen. Imagine him trying to handle duncan in the post in the late 90's for 30 minutes. He'd get worked.

Sadds The Gr8
10-21-2014, 03:17 AM
Lol. If he said this about kobe I bet 95% of you laker fans would be like

"a well respected championship coach like Carlisle knows the game more than psd stat nerds and kobe haters kobe > lebron".

ewing
10-21-2014, 08:21 AM
he would have a better chance if he wasn't scared to shoot in big games 50% of the time

kdspurman
10-21-2014, 10:54 AM
[/B]

Oak and Barkley were quite strong. Not to mention very physical. It would be a totally different experience than what Lebron sees now. I doubt he would have an easier time playing PF then. He would have been beaten up and taken more hard fouls then he sees now. He doesn't have the mindset to play PF. He rarely goes to the post even with a mismatch. He's more of a PG if anything. Definitely not a PF... Not a knock on him, he's just naturally better as a play maker. Not a banger

IKnowHoops
10-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Z

Some were short yes but some were taller. Webber was 6'10/11 by the way. However, those names you listed didn't just sit out on the 3 pt line or pull up and take jumpers. lebron would not be able to handle those guys night in night out for 30 minutes a game. While rodman might not have had the post moves some those guys had he'd also beat the hell out of bron throught the game like he's never seen. Imagine him trying to handle duncan in the post in the late 90's for 30 minutes. He'd get worked.

No, Webber was 6'9. And Duncan worked Shaq, so yeah of course he'd get worked. But he could do just as good a job guarding Duncan that Rodman could if thats all he had to do, and both he and Rodman would get worked by Duncan, but he would also work any power forward trying to guard him.

IKnowHoops
10-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Oak and Barkley were quite strong. Not to mention very physical. It would be a totally different experience than what Lebron sees now. I doubt he would have an easier time playing PF then. He would have been beaten up and taken more hard fouls then he sees now. He doesn't have the mindset to play PF. He rarely goes to the post even with a mismatch. He's more of a PG if anything. Definitely not a PF... Not a knock on him, he's just naturally better as a play maker. Not a banger

Yeah I may lean towards Barkley being stronger than Bron as well but I think the reason he doesn't seem like he has the mindset is because he is doing everything on the court. There has never been a game where he wasn't asked to do everything on the court so of course he hasn't been able to bang for long periods. Ive seen him power through guys when he is 100% fresh. Ive seen him bang with guys when he is fresh. If all he had to do was go down low with no other ball handling and guard responsibilities, he would have more energy than any PF Ive seen. Name a PF who could do what Bron does on a nightly basis without getting tired. There are none. He has the gas to do it if it is his only responsibility.

TrueFan420
10-21-2014, 07:06 PM
No, Webber was 6'9. And Duncan worked Shaq, so yeah of course he'd get worked. But he could do just as good a job guarding Duncan that Rodman could if thats all he had to do, and both he and Rodman would get worked by Duncan, but he would also work any power forward trying to guard him.

Webber was 6'10 shortest dude. Lebron would do much worse than rodman defending him. He would be a mis match offsensively because he's a wing playing PF. with a running start he can get by a PF or they sag off and he shoots. But he ain't taking PF from Jordan's era to the post if he played PF. He's not a PF so stop saying it. It's not a slight to him he's the best in the nba and has a chance to challenge Jordan tho he will most likely never pass him for other reasons.

amos1er
10-21-2014, 09:15 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/rick-carlisle-says-lebron-james-top-5-player-time/

Lol... What list. List of one.

amos1er
10-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Of course I get chastised for using opinions of coaches, GM's, players, and analysts. Finally one person comes out and says something positive about Lebron and all of the sudden it is the most important piece of evidence to date.

IKnowHoops
10-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Webber was 6'10 shortest dude. Lebron would do much worse than rodman defending him. He would be a mis match offsensively because he's a wing playing PF. with a running start he can get by a PF or they sag off and he shoots. But he ain't taking PF from Jordan's era to the post if he played PF. He's not a PF so stop saying it. It's not a slight to him he's the best in the nba and has a chance to challenge Jordan tho he will most likely never pass him for other reasons.

Naw, hes 6'9".
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/webbech01.html

And like his height, I disagree with everything you said. He is bigger faster and stronger than all those PF back in the day. He's heavier and more athletic than Oakley. He's bigger and stronger than Shawn Kemp. He's bigger and stronger than Worm. He could easily play PF in any era and dominate offensively while playing very good defense.

IKnowHoops
10-21-2014, 10:39 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/webberjohnwall.jpg

Juwan Howard is 6'9

amos1er
10-21-2014, 11:27 PM

A very good point indeed.

TrueFan420
10-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Hahaha and by that source AI was 6 foot

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/iversal01.html

However we all know AI was really 5'10.

IKnowHoops
10-22-2014, 12:50 AM
Hahaha and by that source AI was 6 foot

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/iversal01.html

However we all know AI was really 5'10.

So I guess Webber is really 6'7". Bron's chances are looking better and better. Its actual common knowledge that Webber is 6'9". I watched his hole career, from fab five when he beat my boy Jamal Mashburn at Kentucky after Jamal fouled out to the NBA to the broadcast booth. I know he's always been 6'9. I don't have to look it up or think about it. I know this. You don't know.

Master Mind
10-22-2014, 01:27 AM
Won't surpass MJ but top 5 is attainable.

Master Mind
10-22-2014, 01:36 AM

No coach or player can say that about MJ, 6 for 6 in the finals. While Lebron is a rare talent and specimen, MJ was just unfair. Retired and got right to it again, GOAT.
And while I'm not the hugest Kobe fan he's the closest thing we've seen to MJ in terms of game and tenacity. He's like the Jermaine Dupri remix version of MJ lol. I see many putting Kobe in that top 5 too.

TrueFan420
10-22-2014, 09:42 AM
So I guess Webber is really 6'7". Bron's chances are looking better and better. Its actual common knowledge that Webber is 6'9". I watched his hole career, from fab five when he beat my boy Jamal Mashburn at Kentucky after Jamal fouled out to the NBA to the broadcast booth. I know he's always been 6'9. I don't have to look it up or think about it. I know this. You don't know.

The point is your source is wrong. I too watched his career as well as had an opportunity to meet him in person. However, I'm over it this is a dumb argument.