PDA

View Full Version : Melo: Won't Win Scoring Title in Triangle (Not trolling)

InRoseWeTrust
10-18-2014, 09:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/11722319/carmelo-anthony-says-lead-league-scoring-help-new-york-knicks-win

Interesting. I'd love to see Melo play within the system and really excel. He's been such a great international player when he buys into team ball.

xxplayerxx23
10-18-2014, 09:44 PM
I don't know. His assist numbers should go up esp with Calderon being the Pg over Felton. Still think melo will get his, expecting over 26 PPG

deaner
10-18-2014, 11:17 PM
I don't know. His assist numbers should go up esp with Calderon being the Pg over Felton. Still think melo will get his, expecting over 26 PPG

If melo's assists go up... It will have absolutely zero to do with the PG and everything to do with the new triangle system. They are planning on melo taking fewer shots this year. Unless Jose changes his well established game, that comment makes little sense. You have watched Jose play right? He's ball dominate, overly protective of his turnovers, and a pass first guy who is a good shooter. Fisher will need to apply pressure on JC to get greedy. Jose is awesome, I hope he can stay healthy for the entire year.

xxplayerxx23
10-18-2014, 11:27 PM
If melo's assists go up... It will have absolutely zero to do with the PG and everything to do with the new triangle system. They are planning on melo taking fewer shots this year. Unless Jose changes his well established game, that comment makes little sense. You have watched Jose play right? He's ball dominate, overly protective of his turnovers, and a pass first guy who is a good shooter. Fisher will need to apply pressure on JC to get greedy. Jose is awesome, I hope he can stay healthy for the entire year.

The fact that melo gets doubled a majority of the time in the post and Jose Calderon is a career 41% shooter from 3 compared to Felton's 32% Id say he makes a huge difference. The system has something to do with it but the addition of Calderon will be huge for Carmelo.

meloman1592
10-18-2014, 11:39 PM
Still think kd gets it. He'll play enough games. If Melo starts the season got I guess he can

Crackadalic
10-19-2014, 12:01 AM

Well so far in 4 games the only player I've seen thats ball dominate is Amare and a certain degree JR and even he has played within the triangle as well as Melo

Hawkeye15
10-19-2014, 12:10 AM
totally, cause there have never been any scoring titles won from a volume shooter in the triangle.......

amos1er
10-19-2014, 12:30 AM
totally, cause there have never been any scoring titles won from a volume shooter in the triangle.......

Lol. This.

deaner
10-19-2014, 02:33 AM

You think the Knicks can perfect the triangle to an elite level this year to put Melo in that position? I think chances are pretty slim, especially given the roster.

Cromedome
10-19-2014, 02:59 AM
Michael Jordan must be rolling over in his grave.

ewing
10-19-2014, 09:26 AM

this is exactly what i thought. Melo loves the high post clear out. The one Micheal and Kobe both lived in under Phil. The Knicks offensive will run through him in that post most of the time. If the team can gel the emphasis on passing and the knicks improved shooting (jose can stroke it, Amare if healthy, Jason Smith) should lead to increased assists but Melo will have ample opportunity to get looks

xxplayerxx23
10-19-2014, 09:49 AM
You think the Knicks can perfect the triangle to an elite level this year to put Melo in that position? I think chances are pretty slim, especially given the roster.

You act like melo isn't going to shoot lol. He's a scoring machine, his roster two years ago was nothing special and he won it.

mike_noodles
10-19-2014, 01:52 PM

Didn't Shaq do it too? 3 scoring champs out of the triangle. My guess is that he's just trying to temper expectations.

FriedTofuz
10-19-2014, 02:42 PM
melo will average 30ppg/ 8 reb/ 2 ast/

xxplayerxx23
10-19-2014, 09:59 PM
melo will average 30ppg/ 8 reb/ 2 ast/

He won't average under 3 assists

Crackadalic
10-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Melo had 3 assist per game last season in a ISO centric system. IDK how he will average less in a system where ball movement is mandatory

deaner
10-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Melo had 3 assist per game last season in a ISO centric system. IDK how he will average less in a system where ball movement is mandatory

Agreed. I don't know who else is going to score... But Melo should def be over 4.25 assists a game in this system. Team shooting percentages might be the only thing that will inhibit Melo from getting 5 or 6 a game.

colinskik
10-19-2014, 11:47 PM

I love when people make comments like this in an attempt to put down another poster (in this case a poster who actually watches Knicks games), thinking they are completely and totally correct when in fact they couldn't be more wrong.

Calderon is an excellent three point shot, which will directly cause a rise in Melo's assist numbers. Knicks fans know that Melo lost countless assists when he passed out of the double team to a wide open Felton in the corner only to have him brick it again and again. It became clear after a while that Melo lost all faith in felton and would look to take on two defenders rather than pass to an automatic miss.

For sake of simplicity, if Calderon were playing for Knicks last year Melo would've averaged at least one more assist per game.

Jamiecballer
10-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Hopefully Melo recognizes this as a good thing.

AddiX
10-20-2014, 05:26 PM
I can care less if he gets a scoring title, but If anything I think a good system where the ball moves more will only help him score more. Especially if he fully buys in which I expect him to do.

And uhh, replacing Felton with a guy who can play the position should do wonders for melo.

FriedTofuz
10-20-2014, 11:24 PM
melo had 6 dimes today but damn..
his team played no defense. Milwaukee shot 60%.

Crackadalic
10-20-2014, 11:50 PM

Thats the only thing the knicks suffer from but I'm happy with everything else. 25 assist on 34 shots is impressive and at least 10 players had an assist.

Also the Bucks is just a bad much up. There long and athletic as hell. I'm sold on Greek freak. Kids going to be a superstar in a few years. Parker is a year away from being a allstar

IDunknown
10-21-2014, 01:38 AM
Melo agrees.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/melo-knicks-don-25-game-phil-jackson-system-article-1.1979319

Rockice_8
10-21-2014, 08:56 AM
When Melo gets the ball he looks to score it's simple as that. He's going to get his, whether that translates to a scoring title who knows but whatever offense he is in he'll score and score a lot. I expect his numbers to be similar to his averages, don't see much changing because of the triangle.

xxplayerxx23
10-21-2014, 02:25 PM

Preseason. They played like 14 guys they will cut that down.

FriedTofuz
10-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Preseason. They played like 14 guys they will cut that down.

Yeah but it's not like melo didnt play much, he played starters regular aeason minutes. There was no bargnani and hardly any calderon on the court and the knicks still played bad defense. If it's the regular season, i think youre going to be worse defensively with those two guys playing.

xxplayerxx23
10-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Yeah but it's not like melo didnt play much, he played starters regular aeason minutes. There was no bargnani and hardly any calderon on the court and the knicks still played bad defense. If it's the regular season, i think youre going to be worse defensively with those two guys playing.

Well bargs won't play much. Knicks won't be to good defensively but to judge off a preseason game is hilarious. You are a troll so I won't bother arguing with you.

Seizabmc
10-21-2014, 10:41 PM
I would love for melo to average 20/10/5/1block and 1steal

I think he can do it.
And I think he will be around that.

The other day with 30 mins playing time.

He got 24/9/6

If he gets 20/10/5
He will be in consideration for MVP.

Crackadalic
10-22-2014, 03:21 AM

Right after the game you post in two threads involving the knicks(one with a post about them) and just wanted to point out the 60% shooting knowing that kidd just played a good game by playing small and having long athletic players against us. Our starting pg also went down and only played 4 minutes which you didn't mention and why we shot only 39%.

You went from being a regular poster to having something against the knicks even in some meaningless preseason game which we played 14 different players to see which lineup works best.

Trying to prove how bad we are isn't doing much for your credibility bro and it looks borderline childish. I get some knick fans have some unreasonable expectations but come on

deaner
10-22-2014, 09:24 AM
I would love for melo to average 20/10/5/1block and 1steal

I think he can do it.
And I think he will be around that.

The other day with 30 mins playing time.

He got 24/9/6

If he gets 20/10/5
He will be in consideration for MVP.

Empty counts. Melo won't be considered until he leads his team to wins.

nycericanguy
10-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Anything Knick related turns into the same 3-4 obsessed TOR posters bashing NY...lol

Don't you guys have your own Knick hate thread in your forum already?

Go into the Knick forum, no one's talking about TOR there... yet TOR fans talk about NY even in their own forum and game threads...lol

Give it a rest...allll of PSD gets it... you hate NY and anything NY related...seriously... we get it!

FriedTofuz
10-22-2014, 11:56 PM
Anything Knick related turns into the same 3-4 obsessed TOR posters bashing NY...lol

Go into the Knick forum, no one's talking about TOR there... yet TOR fans talk about NY even in their own forum and game threads...lol

Give it a rest...allll of PSD gets it... you hate NY and anything NY related...seriously... we get it!

I think that's a really unfair statement to say. I personally love NY, I visit all the time, and love doing some shopping there as well. With that being said, the Raptors and Knicks have had rivalry from time. They're in the same division as well, you cant be so alarmed over the competition with fans. Knicks swept Toronto during 1 round, Toronto sweeps them the net time. Life goes on. It'll be interesting and really exciting to see another Toronto Vs Knicks playoff matchup in the near future.

FriedTofuz
10-22-2014, 11:56 PM

I think that's a really unfair statement to say. I personally love NY, I visit all the time, and love doing some shopping there as well. With that being said, the Raptors and Knicks have had rivalry from time. They're in the same division as well, you cant be so alarmed over the competition with fans. Knicks swept Toronto during 1 round, Toronto sweeps them the net time. Life goes on. It'll be interesting and really exciting to see another Toronto Vs Knicks playoff matchup in the near future.

slashsnake
10-23-2014, 05:52 AM

Agreed. I don't know who else is going to score... But Melo should def be over 4.25 assists a game in this system. Team shooting percentages might be the only thing that will inhibit Melo from getting 5 or 6 a game.

Lets look at the effect of Phil on assist totals of top guys with ball posession....

Doug Collins had an iso-centric game with Jordan and he averaged 7 assists a game his last two years in that, never got close to that again with Phil.

Kobe is a little tougher as his game was so young before Phil, but 4.6 assists per 36 minutes the year before Phil, 4.7 for his career and his assists per game have been way up since Phil retired.

From a point forward perspective, Odom had higher assist numbers with the Clippers and Heat than the Lakers.

Pippen kept his up in Houston and Portland after leaving Chicago and Phil.

Kukoc... 5.2 assists per 36 with Phil, 5.1 without.

I'd say your best comparison would be Glen Rice. A score first player who never really passed much. Got into Phil's system and went from a career 2.3 assist per game guy to... a career 2.3 assist per game guy.

Calderon? If Melo assisted on half his shots, he'd have to replace a 25% shooter for his percentage to increase Melo's assist total 1 assist per game.

I think things like playing on the team with the most posessions and easy baskets (denver) would have been a bigger help.

Or playing the most minutes per game in the entire league.

But those really didn't.

I just don't see any history where Phil has helped a guy jump 50% in his assists per game here. Good passers stay pretty good with maybe a little drop off...

xxplayerxx23
10-23-2014, 11:15 AM
It's more about Calderon over Felton and other players hitting their shots. Better shooters around melo is what will help his assist totals.