PDA

View Full Version : Who you got for MVP?

JasonJohnHorn
10-18-2014, 07:29 PM
I know it is impossible to tell before a game is even played, but is there anybody who you think will have a particularly strong year?

LBJ is obviously in the running.

I think if OKC plays poorly without him, and still goes onto win the division, Durant would be considered for back-to-back MVPS.

With the Rockets losing Parsons, Asik and Lin, should the Rockets improve, either Howard or Harden could be in the running.

I think CP3 and Blake will cancel each other out, like Kobe and Shaq used to do with each other.

I think if the Pelicans have a big improvement, Anthony Davis could pull as Derrick Rose and win the MVP, but as much as I'd like to see that happen, I don't think it is likely. Far less likely would be John Wall, but if the Wizards take advantage of the Heat's loss of James and win the division, Wall could get a lot of credit and a few MVP votes.

If the Warriors see an improvement, Curry could be in line if his number also go up, but I think Kerr would likelier get the credit of Curry's numbers aren't drastically different.

If the Heat do well ad Wade is healthy, I think he could be in the running.

I gotta think LBJ is the heavy favorite, but I really think Davis could be a candidate if the Pelicans do as well as I think they can.

Who do you think will chasing after the MVP this year?

goingfor28
10-18-2014, 09:51 PM
1. Lebron
2. Blake
3. Durant (would be 1 without injury)
4. Steph
5. The Brow

Matter.
10-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Kobe

jerellh528
10-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Kobe

FlashBolt
10-18-2014, 11:01 PM
LeBron
KD
Blake
CP3
Curry

I still think KD is 2nd.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-18-2014, 11:06 PM
I would say KD again but he got injured so not sure. I would go with Lebron or CP3 as the leader.

WaDe03
10-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Wade

Dade County
10-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Lbj
Rose/Westbrook
KD

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-19-2014, 01:14 PM
I know it is impossible to tell before a game is even played, but is there anybody who you think will have a particularly strong year?

I think if OKC plays poorly without him, and still goes onto win the division, Durant would be considered for back-to-back MVPS.

With the Rockets losing Parsons, Asik and Lin, should the Rockets improve, either Howard or Harden could be in the running.

I think CP3 and Blake will cancel each other out, like Kobe and Shaq used to do with each other.

I think if the Pelicans have a big improvement, Anthony Davis could pull as Derrick Rose and win the MVP, but as much as I'd like to see that happen, I don't think it is likely. Far less likely would be John Wall, but if the Wizards take advantage of the Heat's loss of James and win the division, Wall could get a lot of credit and a few MVP votes.

If the Warriors see an improvement, Curry could be in line if his number also go up, but I think Kerr would likelier get the credit of Curry's numbers aren't drastically different.

I gotta think LBJ is the heavy favorite, but I really think Davis could be a candidate if the Pelicans do as well as I think they can.

Anyone who doesn't play on the most stacked team In The weakest conference in NBA history.

TheNumber37
10-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Lebron is not gonna win.

He has Irving, Love, Waiters and whole slew of other players.

The Cavs are also NOT a lock to win the Central Division as Thib's Bulls are always competitive and hey Look, they just got back D. Rose and acquired Gasol, Mirotic and Mcbuckets.

The Sleeper is Melo.
If he changes his game enough where people notice and he carries the cast of Knickerbockers to a 2 seed, he can do it.
But, he's gotta drop like 25, 9 and 5. While shooting over 50% from the floor, 40%from 3 and a career high from the stripe while taking less than 20 shots a night.

I think out of the gate it will be Westbrook because he'll be going off without KD... let's just hope they can win some games in the process.

Kaner
10-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Durant
Lebron
Harden
Blake
Curry

If Durant's production is similiar to last year's when he comes back he'll win it. None of the voters seem to care about the beginning of the season as long as he finishes strong especially with Lebron most likely deferring more. #whathaveyoudoneformelately. Harden I think's a good pick if Houston doesn't fall off and stays a top 4 seed he could average something like 28/5/6 with more consistent defense to win it.

Goose17
10-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Durant is probably out for about a third of the season. No way he wins it.

Smart money is on Lebron. Like both Blake Griffin and Stephen Curry for it though, depending on how their teams record turns out.

Rivera
10-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Sleeper. Derrick Rose.

Say he does regain form. Chicago is a consensus top 2 team in the east and Chicago media would push rose again like they did when he won the first time.

JEDean89
10-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Rose won't be good enough to earn MVP

I got Westbrook, Davis, LBJ, Durant and Paul as my top 5

Raps18-19 Champ
10-19-2014, 04:46 PM
If Rose is 80% of what he was in 2011 when he didn't deserve it, he'll be in the top 3 in voting this year. I can see it now. They'll use the adversity story for him coming back from injury to justify him being MVP.

jerellh528
10-19-2014, 04:49 PM
If Rose is 80% of what he was in 2011 when he didn't deserve it, he'll be in the top 3 in voting this year. I can see it now. They'll use the adversity story for him coming back from injury to justify him being MVP.

Seems likely

JWO35
10-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Kevin Durant

amos1er
10-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Little premature no...

Bruno
10-19-2014, 05:55 PM
sleeper pick, Steph Curry. bogut has a healthy regular season and the Warriors finish top 2 in the WC.

Paul and Blake will split the votes, or at least detract enough from each other so the other doesn't get it. SAS are a lock for a top three spot but they don't have a single player who will win MVP. Westbrooks Thunder won't win finish top 2 in the WC so he's out. Durants most likely out. this is really between LBJ and whatever sleeper out of the West steps in. I think LBJ plays less minutes than ever before and Love pulls away from his MVP leverage. Rose won't win another MVP, Chicago will be too well rounded like SA. davis won't win enough games in NO. gimme steph curry.

almost every mvp comes from a first or second placed team. gimme steph curry and the warriors who win 60+ games.

this would be durants year but with the jones fracture hell miss too much time. if the thunder struggle and he comes back early and they finish top 2 in the WC, he'll win the award. i don't think that happens.

toekneele
10-19-2014, 08:28 PM
With KD out for a month and a half to two or more, I'd say it's Lebron's to lose

HoopsDrive
10-20-2014, 07:16 PM
With KD out I'm going with the easy pick in LeBron. I'd love to see CP3 get it but I agree with the thought that having Blake on his team will prevent that from happening. If LeBron doesn't step off the gas too much during regular season I just don't see anyone else taking it, especially with KD being out for so long.

Tony_Starks
10-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Westbrook, CP3 or Blake. Whichever team has the best record....

SPURSFAN1
10-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Kawhi for his second Finals MVP.

TrueFan420
10-20-2014, 07:50 PM

Smart money is on Lebron. Like both Blake Griffin and Stephen Curry for it though, depending on how their teams record turns out.
Maybe Durants out of it but say he misses the first 3rd of the season and his team is struggling around 5-8 seed range or lower in a tough west (not out of the question). He comes back and puts up similar numbers to last year and elevates them to top 3 team rank in the time he plays. That sounds like a MVP award to me (obviously other factors but I could see him getting back to back for that). Everyone loves a nice story I wouldn't rule out anything.

kobe4thewinbang
10-22-2014, 10:18 AM
If Westbrook never takes a single jump shot all season and drives endlessly to the rim, I pick him.

mrblisterdundee
10-22-2014, 11:40 PM
1. LeBron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Blake Griffin
4. Stephen Curry
5. Anthony Davis

jerellh528
10-22-2014, 11:46 PM
Love

mightybosstone
10-23-2014, 12:11 AM
1. Lebron
2. Paul
3. Davis
4. Westbrook
5. Harden

Lebron's the obvious answer here, but look out for Paul to have one of those "I've never won an MVP, but I probably should have and my team is freakishly good" seasons. Griffin was only a contender last year because Paul missed so much time, but if Paul can play 75+ games, I think he's back into the top three discussion again.

I think Davis has the best chance for a breakout, statistically dominant performance this season, and if New Orleans can just flirt with the postseason race for a while, he'll be in the discussion. Westbrook's also an obvious choice, because he'll keep OKC afloat in the West while Durant's gone and win one or two big games to remind us of how good he is.

There are other guys who easily could go in the top five (Curry, Griffin, Rose, Durant and Dirk come to mind), but I like Harden's chances to crack the top five in back-to-back years. Not only is he playing in mid-season form after playing in the World Cup, but the entire world is expecting the Rockets to see a pretty significant dropoff after losing Parsons. They won't. If he puts up similar numbers to last year with slightly better defense, he'll be in that discussion again.

Bigbadmoffo
10-23-2014, 12:14 AM
I can see Kyle Lowry taking it this year.

IBleedPurple
10-23-2014, 12:45 AM
Based on this forum, giving an equal chance to every team, my list, in order, would be:
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe

Quinnsanity
10-23-2014, 12:49 AM
Where's the Anthony Davis love? If he's one of the five best players (very possible) and New Orleans wins 50 or so games (outside shot), the story of him winning would carry him into the conversation. NBA MVP is a narrative-driven award. Davis has the narrative.

Jarvo
10-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Lebron had it won since he said he was going back home imo.

Other than him I got KD, Westy, Curry and Rose.

boboo73
10-23-2014, 02:44 PM

Roses MVP Season:

Scored over 2,000 points and had over 600 assists in a single season. Only players to ever do that are MJ, Lebron, Oscar Robertson, Archibald and John Havlicek.

Also had over 300 rebounds. Only players with those points, assists and rebound numbers in NBA history are Jordan, Lebron, Robertson and Havlicek.

First point guard in NBA history to record over 1,800 points, 600 assists and 50 blocks in a single season.

So maybe he didnt meet your expectations but those are pretty good lists to be on.

boboo73
10-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Blake Griffin

FlashBolt
10-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Roses MVP Season:

Scored over 2,000 points and had over 600 assists in a single season. Only players to ever do that are MJ, Lebron, Oscar Robertson, Archibald and John Havlicek.

Also had over 300 rebounds. Only players with those points, assists and rebound numbers in NBA history are Jordan, Lebron, Robertson and Havlicek.

First point guard in NBA history to record over 1,800 points, 600 assists and 50 blocks in a single season.

So maybe he didnt meet your expectations but those are pretty good lists to be on.

Every MVP has one of those silly benchmark achievement.. It doesn't mean anything because at the end of the day, Rose was not MVP material. LeBron/Dwight were better players.. easily. Even now, I'm not sure Rose should ever get MVP. Does he mean more to Chicago than Noah? Would Rose produce the same result/defensive intensity without Noah? I doubt it. With Noah, he brings you everything. He's a great passer, rebound, defender, and leader. He isn't relied on to be an offensive machine but occasionally, he can be an easy 16 points a game player. I'm sorry but Rose is just surrounded by an amazing defensive team. That 2010-2011 defense was cutthroat.

Hawkeye15
10-23-2014, 11:30 PM
Greg Kite

Hawkeye15
10-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Roses MVP Season:

Rose had one of the weaker MVP seasons in the modern era actually...

There were probably 3-4 better candidates available. However, one of the was public enemy #1 for leaving Cleveland, and the Bulls (with their defense), were the darling of the NBA and its media that year.

By no means does that take anything away from Rose, awesome for him. But his MVP doesn't need defenders, he didn't deserve it.

FlashBolt
10-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Rose had one of the weaker MVP seasons in the modern era actually...

There were probably 3-4 better candidates available. However, one of the was public enemy #1 for leaving Cleveland, and the Bulls (with their defense), were the darling of the NBA and its media that year.

By no means does that take anything away from Rose, awesome for him. But his MVP doesn't need defenders, he didn't deserve it.

I'd say weaker than Steve Nash's tbh... Granted, that system really helped Nash but without Nash, that Suns team would be lost. That Chicago team would have grinded it out against the best of them.

FlashBolt
10-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Where's the Anthony Davis love? If he's one of the five best players (very possible) and New Orleans wins 50 or so games (outside shot), the story of him winning would carry him into the conversation. NBA MVP is a narrative-driven award. Davis has the narrative.

Because there is zero chance the Pelicans get to 50 games this season. Not in the West. They are still a very young team and as good as AD is, we're overrating him a little over here.

Hawkeye15
10-23-2014, 11:49 PM
I'd say weaker than Steve Nash's tbh... Granted, that system really helped Nash but without Nash, that Suns team would be lost. That Chicago team would have grinded it out against the best of them.

Nash's on court impact took a crap on Rose's though. He meant way more to his team than Rose did, even if I agree his MVPs were questionable. We agree, but there are numbers supporting it.

ramsizzle
10-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Nash's on court impact took a crap on Rose's though. He meant way more to his team than Rose did, even if I agree his MVPs were questionable. We agree, but there are numbers supporting it.

stop talking basketball. Nash has never been the player in his career that Rose was that season. offensive impact close, and Rose is infinitely the better defender. Do not let injury riddled seasons make you forget what dominance Rose is capable of.

Also, the revisionist history is hilarious. Lebron had no business being mvp. His team that was favored from day one in the east underachieved and Rose's Bulls had a season that was completely unexpected. They did this on the back of Rose with no other offensive talent to be found. The only other player in the discussion was Howard and since the Bulls finished with the better record it was no big deal that he had mvp. This award was his before the season ended, everyone knew.... smh at people.

Hawkeye15
10-24-2014, 12:13 AM
stop talking basketball. Nash has never been the player in his career that Rose was that season. offensive impact close, and Rose is infinitely the better defender. Do not let injury riddled seasons make you forget what dominance Rose is capable of.

Also, the revisionist history is hilarious. Lebron had no business being mvp. His team that was favored from day one in the east underachieved and Rose's Bulls had a season that was completely unexpected. They did this on the back of Rose with no other offensive talent to be found. The only other player in the discussion was Howard and since the Bulls finished with the better record it was no big deal that he had mvp. This award was his before the season ended, everyone knew.... smh at people.

hahahahahahahahhahahaha

Give me a ****ing break. Nash is one of the greatest offensive PG's in history, possibly top 3

IKnowHoops
10-24-2014, 12:26 AM
Kobe

You have an unhealthy obsession with Kobe

ramsizzle
10-24-2014, 12:45 AM
hahahahahahahahhahahaha

Give me a ****ing break. Nash is one of the greatest offensive PG's in history, possibly top 3

and that still doesnt change that Rose's MVP season was better than any in nash's career. For as great as he was on offense he is a LIABILITY on defense. Something Rose never has been.

numba1CHANGsta
10-24-2014, 04:13 AM
Kobe easily cuz Kobe>NBA duh

HeatFan
10-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Lebron is not gonna win.

The Cavs are also NOT a lock to win the Central Division as Thib's Bulls are always competitive and hey Look, they just got back D. Rose and acquired Gasol, Mirotic and Mcbuckets.

The Sleeper is Melo.
If he changes his game enough where people notice and he carries the cast of Knickerbockers to a 2 seed, he can do it.
But, he's gotta drop like 25, 9 and 5. While shooting over 50% from the floor, 40%from 3 and a career high from the stripe while taking less than 20 shots a night.

I think out of the gate it will be Westbrook because he'll be going off without KD... let's just hope they can win some games in the process.

Melo is an interesting pick. Although as a Heat fan we've had our issues with the Knicks, I would like to see him win it.

InternetSheriff
10-24-2014, 12:58 PM
It'll probably be Le***** the trader. Since everyone is on his nuts again that he's back in Cleveland and because Durant will miss a lot of time.

nycericanguy
10-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Lebron is not gonna win.

The Sleeper is Melo.

Those are insane numbers dude, no current player in the league has ever had a season like that. I'm not sure any player has ever put up those numbers in history actually...lol

I don't think he'd need all that to win the MVP. If he takes NY to 50 wins or so, puts up 25/7/4 and has an efficient shooting line like 47/39/80... then he'd have a good chance. Because everyone is trashing the Knicks and saying they're a 36 win team, so 50 wins and those numbers would be big.

Crazy, on the ESPN ranking they have Melo #11... he doesn't have even a single teammate in the top 100 with him...

prodigy
10-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Lebron is not gonna win.

The Sleeper is Melo.

Rose needs to prove he can stay healthy. And why did u mention 2 rookies as why the bulls will be really good? Who knows how they will do or what roles they will play.

DemarDerozan
10-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Think this is CP3s year. With Lebron regressing ever so slightly and KD out four six weeks it is Paul's to lose.

mike_noodles
10-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Anthony Davis
Chris Bosh
LBJ
Kevin Durant
Demarcus Cousins

FlashBolt
10-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Let's be honest.. Cousins/AD/Bosh are out of this just based on the fact that their team isn't going anywhere.

tredigs
10-24-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't think AD will win it. His counting stats should be as good as anyone but he's not good enough to carry that team to HCA. Being that it's a Pelicans it's possible he'd get serious #1 consideration if he pulled them to the 6 seed, but I'd put that at a ~1% chance.

Lebron's in a tough spot for the award in that he joined another super team in the terrible East where they are already projected to be the #1 seed, and I think in this year in particular his counting stats go down a bit on account of how many rebounders their bigs will take from him and that he'll be playing with a true high end PG for the first time in his career (minimizing his Usage% overall). I also think that team will struggle the first couple months to find their footing and it will potentially cost them the #1 seed and/or the 57-60+ win season that I think they'd need for him to win. In fact, as far as betting odds go I think I'd put money on either Love or Kyrie winning it over Lebron (were he to go down with injury for a month+ and they carried the team).

KD and Westbrook both have a fair chance depending on how that injury plays out. If OKC carries a .600+ win% without KD while Westbrook puts up monster #'s, he'll be in the drivers seat. But, if they show signs of struggle and KD comes back to take them on his back to garner the #2+ seed while putting up his normal #'s (he'd need to still play 65+ games), then storyline wise its probably him in the drivers seat.

Other potentials are Curry if the Warriors overachieve and earn HCA, especially if it's a 3 seed or higher. And the same with the Clippers for either CP3 or BG if a similar scenario to last season occurs and one goes down and they maintain a top seed on the others back. If they both stay healthy they'll reap too many votes from each other, but I can see each in the top 5.

It's a good year for a sleeper candidate too. A guy like Wall if they somehow managed a top 2 seed, or maybe Dragic if he improved even more and they snuck into HCA with ~52+ wins.

Tough year to predict, overall.

DemarDerozan
10-24-2014, 07:29 PM
I don't think AD will win it. His counting stats should be as good as anyone but he's not good enough to carry that team to HCA. Being that it's a Pelicans it's possible he'd get serious #1 consideration if he pulled them to the 6 seed, but I'd put that at a ~1% chance.

Lebron's in a tough spot for the award in that he joined another super team in the terrible East where they are already projected to be the #1 seed, and I think in this year in particular his counting stats go down a bit on account of how many rebounders their bigs will take from him and that he'll be playing with a true high end PG for the first time in his career (minimizing his Usage% overall). I also think that team will struggle the first couple months to find their footing and it will potentially cost them the #1 seed and/or the 57-60+ win season that I think they'd need for him to win. In fact, as far as betting odds go I think I'd put money on either Love or Kyrie winning it over Lebron (were he to go down with injury for a month+ and they carried the team).

KD and Westbrook both have a fair chance depending on how that injury plays out. If OKC carries a .600+ win% without KD while Westbrook puts up monster #'s, he'll be in the drivers seat. But, if they show signs of struggle and KD comes back to take them on his back to garner the #2+ seed while putting up his normal #'s (he'd need to still play 65+ games), then storyline wise its probably him in the drivers seat.

Other potentials are Curry if the Warriors overachieve and earn HCA, especially if it's a 3 seed or higher. And the same with the Clippers for either CP3 or BG if a similar scenario to last season occurs and one goes down and they maintain a top seed on the others back. If they both stay healthy they'll reap too many votes from each other, but I can see each in the top 5.

It's a good year for a sleeper candidate too. A guy like Wall if they somehow managed a top 2 seed, or maybe Dragic if he improved even more and they snuck into HCA with ~52+ wins.

Tough year to predict, overall.

A lot of people forget that Dragic received votes last year...
I think Noah has a shot as well if Rose doesn't come back 100% and the Bulls win the East.

KnicksorBust
10-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Gotta be Bron.

Durant - Injury
CP3 - he and blake are too equally valuable
Curry - I like people throwing him in there but he doesnt stack up statistically and the warriors wont win 60 games
AD - Hornets win win enough

marjon
10-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Lance Stephenson

Kaner
10-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Gotta be Bron.

Durant - Injury
Curry - I like people throwing him in there but he doesnt stack up statistically and the warriors wont win 60 games

What about Harden? He's got a good amount going for him next season, increased offensive responsibilities with Parsons leaving, relatively low expectations, and "redemption" from the media hate last season. Lebron's the favorite but I think he has a better shot then Curry, Anthony Davis and CP3 and Griffin unless one of them misses alot of time.

tredigs
10-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Gotta be Bron.

Durant - Injury

How come you don't think Curry stacks up statistically? Even last season he was better than Rose's MVP season statistically, which is roughly equal (albeit different) than Nash's MVP's.

InRoseWeTrust
10-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Those are insane numbers dude, no current player in the league has ever had a season like that. I'm not sure any player has ever put up those numbers in history actually..

LeBron almost did it in 2012-2013. 26.8/8/7.3 on .565 shooting, .406 from three, taking 17.8 shots a game. Just a board off.

IKnowHoops
10-25-2014, 03:14 AM
I havent really seen anything from anybody else that tells me that the MVP wont go to either Bron or KD. I think Blake has the potential, but if Bron and KD can just keep doing what they have been doing, then its a two man race. IMO the injury really hurts KDs chances. Bron should be able to win it given that injury. If KD can still wrestle it away from Bron this year, then I think Bron's run of MVP's may be over.

But back to Blake, I think he has it in him to put up insane numbers in his own right. Like some 28 and 10 numbers. If he can do that, he gets to be in the discussion as well. Those are Shaq/Drob numbers. Its Crazy to think Shaq basically put that up for 10 years, and only got one MVP. Of all people who got robbed of MVP's Shaq takes the cake. He should have 3 minimum.

tredigs
10-25-2014, 03:22 AM
I havent really seen anything from anybody else that tells me that the MVP wont go to either Bron or KD. I think Blake has the potential, but if Bron and KD can just keep doing what they have been doing, then its a two man race. IMO the injury really hurts KDs chances. Bron should be able to win it given that injury. If KD can still wrestle it away from Bron this year, then I think Bron's run of MVP's may be over.

But back to Blake, I think he has it in him to put up insane numbers in his own right. Like some 28 and 10 numbers. If he can do that, he gets to be in the discussion as well. Those are Shaq/Drob numbers. Its Crazy to think Shaq basically put that up for 10 years, and only got one MVP. Of all people who got robbed of MVP's Shaq takes the cake. He should have 3 minimum.
His box-score stats will very likely dip (which is still king in MVP voting), and his team is more likely to underachieve than the opposite. He's still a top candidate, but I'd take the field over him.

KD is also in a tough spot with how many games he will miss along with what will be a likely slow recovery once he does return. His stats will dip as well.

IKnowHoops
10-25-2014, 03:27 AM
His box-score stats will very likely dip (which is still king in MVP voting), and his team is more likely to underachieve than the opposite. He's still a top candidate, but I'd take the field over him.

I see Cleveland having the best record in the league. Your probably right that his stats dip a bit, but I think there is a chance that his efficiency increases again. And I think he may have his best assist season this year. I don't see the Cavs underachieving at all.

tredigs
10-25-2014, 03:38 AM
I see Cleveland having the best record in the league. Your probably right that his stats dip a bit, but I think there is a chance that his efficiency increases again. And I think he may have his best assist season this year. I don't see the Cavs underachieving at all.

Without getting a great look at Blatt's offense it's tough to say what his asst #'s will look like, but for the simple fact that he's now playing with a ball dominant PG whose top skill is ISO scoring, I'd put money against that.

They'll have the easiest schedule in the league by SOS, but I don't think they'll have the top record. It's too many added pieces not to struggle to come together and lose ~5-6 games on chemistry issues alone imo. But, being that West teams beat eachother up all year, it's certainly possible that they get it.

Overall, I just think that the drop in his box-score stats will lead voters to another direction and the better story (whatever that may be next year).

AIverson
10-25-2014, 04:53 AM
If cp3 can get his 21/11/4 with 2 steals I like him to take the award.

That's going to need to be his level for the clippers to win it all this year.

IKnowHoops
10-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Without getting a great look at Blatt's offense it's tough to say what his asst #'s will look like, but for the simple fact that he's now playing with a ball dominant PG whose top skill is ISO scoring, I'd put money against that.

They'll have the easiest schedule in the league by SOS, but I don't think they'll have the top record. It's too many added pieces not to struggle to come together and lose ~5-6 games on chemistry issues alone imo. But, being that West teams beat eachother up all year, it's certainly possible that they get it.

Overall, I just think that the drop in his box-score stats will lead voters to another direction and the better story (whatever that may be next year).

I 100% get that, but I also think that because that PG is such a scorer, along with 4-5 other guys who love to score, I just see Bron deferring on a whole new level this year. I see him often scoring 14-20 points with about 8-12 shot attempts just because he will be deferring to guys he knows can fill it up. He will have his explosions from time to time, but I think he will be conserving energy more this year than ever. This year every non center on his team seemingly can hit the 3 accept for Tristan. I think he will get the ball at the free throw line a lot where teams can converge on him, but also where he can throw a pass to a wide open 3 off of the double and triple teams he would receive in that spot. Playing with Kyrie I think will raise his efficiency by getting easy shots off of Kyrie penetration, as well as raise his assists by being a good 3pt shooter and finisher for Lebron to pass to.

Unlike the Heat team where they were just talented, I feel like on paper, the Cavs fit together much more as well as having a surplus of talent. I don't see them having anywhere near the slow start, or jelling problems that the Heat had in that first year.

I also am very down on Spo as a coach, and very high on Blatt as a coach. I think the coaching will be a huge difference in the production contrast between the Heat and the Cavs.

curtcocaine
10-25-2014, 12:23 PM
If the Lakers make the playoffs even as an 8th seed KOBE 4 MVP!!!!!

AIRMAR72
10-25-2014, 04:04 PM

I got James Harden could be the best SG in the league strong and built to last due to his style off play always draw fouls and finish plays Harden plays under the rim(Paul Pierce,Rolando Blackman etc) but is excellent at using his body creating space and his own shots lazy on defense but is capable locking down his opponent above averge IQ great passer ball handle and dribble penetrater and knockdown shooter

JordansBulls
10-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Pau Gasol

Seizabmc
10-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Since this is all based on opinions,
I'm going to predict melo averages 20/10/5

Helps the knicks win the Atlantic division.
Takes the knicks past the 2nd round.
Wins MVP at the all star game in MSG .

And does it all with not another star on his team.

All while playing in the triangle .
Phil Jackson is going to catapult Melos game.
And help take his game to new heights.

If melo doesn't win MVP this season than he will most likely be in discussion !

Mark my words!!!!!

AllBall
10-25-2014, 09:40 PM

Mark my words!!!!!

In a Lifetime original movie.....

FlashBolt
10-25-2014, 11:33 PM
KD will miss about 20 games probably and take another 5-7 games to get back into game shape.. I don't think he'll get MVP this year but he will definitely get votes. I honestly think it might be Blake Griffin's year this season.

P&GRealist
10-26-2014, 03:57 AM
Kobe

akia83
10-26-2014, 08:04 AM
Those are insane numbers dude, no current player in the league has ever had a season like that. I'm not sure any player has ever put up those numbers in history actually...lol

Larry Bird did it 3 times. He's the only one.

Crackadalic
10-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Curry for me

tcmphilly
10-26-2014, 09:00 AM
Kevin Love wins it...
Volume shooter. Beast on the boards. Scorer from anywhere on the court. Elite passer from the low post.

You can't find a better talent in the NBA to pair with LeBron's skill set. James defers on offense and facilitates so when he's drawing double/triple teams in the paint Love will be there to knock down treys better than Bosh could ever dream of doing. I believe Love is third in the league in scoring behind Melo and Durant of course, along with dominating the rest of his stat lines.

ManningToTyree
10-26-2014, 10:46 PM
Kd will miss too much time and lebron will have too much talent around him to put up gaudy scoring numbers. It could be a fairly open race with guys like curry Blake Howard and melo getting consideration depending on team success.

But if I was a betting man id still say Lebron

P&GRealist
10-26-2014, 10:48 PM

Mark my words!!!!!

Melo is gonna average 26-27 ppg easily. But yeah, I have him winning it this yr.

Kashmir13579
10-26-2014, 10:49 PM
LeBron

Sanjay
10-27-2014, 05:27 PM
LeBron no question. He will be firing after Durant winning it last year, getting steamrolled in the Finals and the brave decision to go back to Cleveland.

thejordanrules
10-27-2014, 08:04 PM
LeBron james

lol, please
10-24-2015, 11:34 PM

You would have lost that smart money goose17. In the end Griffin wasn't close either.

jerellh528
10-24-2015, 11:47 PM
It's Davis this year, unless durant returns to peak form.

mngopher35
10-24-2015, 11:55 PM
It's Davis this year, unless durant returns to peak form.

I agree that Davis has the ability/impact/stats for the award but his team might hold him back unfortunately. I think Curry has a better chance than Davis due to the team he is on.

tredigs
10-25-2015, 12:10 AM
This is a bump from last years thread. Sort of fun seeing our predictions. A lot of Curry mentions surprisingly. Not too disappointed in my thoughts at the time. Harden definitely wasn't on anyone's radar though so props to him.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-25-2015, 02:38 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/35-crazy-predictions-for-the-2015-16-nba-season/

Grantland predicts Davis wins MVP and defensive player of the year. There's tons of other predictions in it as well.

MonroeFAN
10-26-2015, 06:18 AM
I'm thinking either wade, Kobe or rose.

KnicksorBust
10-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Gotta be Bron.

How come you don't think Curry stacks up statistically? Even last season he was better than Rose's MVP season statistically, which is roughly equal (albeit different) than Nash's MVP's.

:clap:

lamzoka
10-26-2015, 04:51 PM
1-Bron

2-Harden

3-Durant

4-Curry

5-Davis

in that order........

lol, please
11-02-2015, 01:43 AM
1-Bron

2-Harden

3-Durant

4-Curry

5-Davis

in that order........
I know it's early, but it's not looking good bud.

lamzoka
11-02-2015, 10:30 AM
I know it's early, but it's not looking good bud.

Yeah def not looking good....

More like

1- Curry

2- Westbrook

3-Everybody else

WaDe03
11-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I'm thinking either wade, Kobe or rose.

Looks like you may be right now that Wade is the best free throw and 3 point shooter in the league. Wade for MVP!

RateSports
11-02-2015, 03:27 PM
1. Bron
2. Curry
3. Westbrook

Bostonjorge
11-02-2015, 08:53 PM

More like

1- Curry

2- Westbrook

3-Everybody else

Black Griffen is right there with those 2. Then everyone else.

Hotone1401
11-02-2015, 10:28 PM
1. Curry
2. Lebron

Can''t mention anyone else because I haven't seen enough games yet but those two are at the top for me right now.

lol, please
11-02-2015, 11:43 PM

More like

1- Curry

2- Westbrook

3-Everybody else
Westbrook is a man amongst boys. Even FlashBolt underrates him.

tredigs
11-03-2015, 01:29 AM
Westbrook is a man amongst boys. Even FlashBolt underrates him.

Well he's still the 2nd best player on his team, and readily acknowledges that. A beast, though. Definitely a top 7 player. Another great game from him tonight minus the reckless turnovers.

Saddletramp
11-03-2015, 02:01 AM
It's weird, Durant's the better player but when Westbrook went out due to foul trouble, the Rockets took over. He's the glue.

tredigs
11-03-2015, 02:11 AM
It's weird, Durant's the better player but when Westbrook went out due to foul trouble, the Rockets took over. He's the glue.

1 quarter sample size for the win!

Saddletramp
11-03-2015, 02:23 AM

You really are slipping. I'm not talking about these first few games. It's them in general. People were talking about Westbrook, I commented on it.

You're turning into a troll.

tredigs
11-03-2015, 02:30 AM
You really are slipping. I'm not talking about these first few games. It's them in general. People were talking about Westbrook, I commented on it.

You're turning into a troll.

You specifically mentioned one instance and reasoned it out as a declarative/broad statement. Say what you mean if you don't want to be confused. Not that your comment makes much sense, anyway. Durant is both better and is more important to them winning basketball games. I think we have a clear enough sample size + stats to prove that.

SPURSFAN1
11-03-2015, 02:31 AM
I got Leonard number 1 right now. Warriors watch out when the boogeyman comes to town.

lol, please
11-03-2015, 02:33 AM
How I feel when people who were slighting curry now want to crown him the best in the league after 3 games.

Inconsistency breeds disrespect.

Saddletramp
11-03-2015, 02:44 AM
You specifically mentioned one instance and reasoned it out as a declarative/broad statement. Say what you mean if you don't want to be confused. Not that your comment makes much sense, anyway. Durant is both better and is more important to them winning basketball games. I think we have a clear enough sample size + stats to prove that.

Durant is the better player. Westbrook is the glue. You disagree? Awesome.

CityofChaos
11-03-2015, 03:22 AM
This is a bump from last years thread. Sort of fun seeing our predictions. A lot of Curry mentions surprisingly. Not too disappointed in my thoughts at the time. Harden definitely wasn't on anyone's radar though so props to him.

Judging by the first few pages they weren't considering Curry at #1 until his hot start and realized he was no fluke LMAO

Hopper15
11-03-2015, 04:47 AM
I got Leonard number 1 right now. Warriors watch out when the boogeyman comes to town.

He's a beast but it's going to be hard for him to beat out Steph or Lebron.

Durant and Westbrook are going to take votes away from each other.

kdspurman
11-03-2015, 11:11 AM
He's a beast but it's going to be hard for him to beat out Steph or Lebron.

Durant and Westbrook are going to take votes away from each other.

Depends on your criteria for MVP, he's definitely as valuable as them. Very small sample size but Kawhi is probably off to a better start than Lebron thus far.

tredigs
11-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Depends on your criteria for MVP, he's definitely as valuable as them. Very small sample size but Kawhi is probably off to a better start than Lebron thus far.

That'd be tough to argue imo. Kawhi's offense is good and his defense is superb, but what Curry does offensively can simply take over a game single-handedly, and in a situation like last week where he was literally directly responsible for 70 points, you just can't match that. It doesn't matter how great your wing defense is, you can never have anywhere in the ballpark of that much impact on a game on the other end. That's not a knock on Kawhi, it's simply the nature of how the game is played.

And while obviously 4 games is largely meaningless and to even speculate on MVP right now is silly as this could all be wildly different in 10 days, if we're really trying to say that anyone else is even in Curry's world right now, I don't really know what to tell them. He has a PER over 50 and is leading the league in PPG while playing 31 minutes a night. Also has 2x higher than the highest WS/48 of all time and the league leading TS% which would also be the highest of all time. The Warriors have the biggest point differential after 4 games in NBA history. I mean there are other players playing great/above what it would take to be at MVP level, but this is probably the greatest start to a season of all time.

kdspurman
11-03-2015, 11:46 AM
That'd be tough to argue imo. Kawhi's offense is good and his defense is superb, but what Curry does offensively can simply take over a game single-handedly and in a game like last week where he was literally directly responsible for 70 points. It doesn't matter how great your wing defense is, you can never have anywhere in the ballpark of that much impact on a game on the other end. That's not a knock on Kawhi, it's simply the nature of how the game is played.

And while obviously 4 games is largely meaningless and to even speculate on MVP right now is silly as this could all be wildly different in 10 days, but if we're really trying to say that anyone else is even in Curry's world right now, I don't really know what to tell them. He has a PER over 50 and is leading the league in PPG while playing 31 minutes a night. Also has 2x higher than the highest WS/48 of all time and the league leading TS% which would also be the highest of all time. The Warriors have the biggest point differential after 4 games in NBA history. I mean there are other players playing great/above what it would take to be at MVP level, but this is probably the greatest start to a season of all time.

Yea I wouldn't disagree that thus far Curry has the lead there. While Kawhi isn't responsible for 70 points, you take a game like vs OKC where he scores 32 and holds Durant to a 6-19 performance plus gets 3 steals etc... I mean he's getting points and preventing the other teams best players from scoring points & gaining extra possessions which IMO might isn't too far off from what Curry is doing, just differently. (using the 70 point example)

I would agree with you that Curry as of now is #1, but when I say he's as valuable, I mean if you take both of them off their respective teams, the struggles would be equally evident, as shown from SA when Kawhi is out, they're a .500 team or worse. I know I don't need to argue everything Kawhi does with you, and I certainly wasn't saying he's off to a better start than Curry, cause he's off to a crazy hot start. Reminds me of Brady, all the backlash the Pats took , now Brady is trying to shut everyone up

Hopper15
11-03-2015, 11:47 AM

Doesn't depend on my criteria. Curry and James are just better offensive players than Kawhi and there teams will probably be one seeds in the East and West. That's tough to beat out.

kdspurman
11-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Doesn't depend on my criteria. Curry and James are just better offensive players than Kawhi and there teams will probably be one seeds in the East and West. That's tough to beat out.

It's not the offensive player of the year award. And I'll give you Curry as I mentioned in my above post. It's not a given with Lebron this year if both stay on this track. Still far too early, but as of now, Kawhi would and should be ranked above Lebron

Hopper15
11-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Let's not be naive. Offense factors into the award a lot more than defense.

kdspurman
11-03-2015, 12:00 PM
My last sentence still stands true... though being we are 4-5 games in, it's really all just for arguments sake

tredigs
11-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Yea I wouldn't disagree that thus far Curry has the lead there. While Kawhi isn't responsible for 70 points, you take a game like vs OKC where he scores 32 and holds Durant to a 6-19 performance plus gets 3 steals etc... I mean he's getting points and preventing the other teams best players from scoring points & gaining extra possessions which IMO might isn't too far off from what Curry is doing, just differently. (using the 70 point example)

I would agree with you that Curry as of now is #1, but when I say he's as valuable, I mean if you take both of them off their respective teams, the struggles would be equally evident, as shown from SA when Kawhi is out, they're a .500 team or worse. I know I don't need to argue everything Kawhi does with you, and I certainly wasn't saying he's off to a better start than Curry, cause he's off to a crazy hot start. Reminds me of Brady, all the backlash the Pats took , now Brady is trying to shut everyone up

Definitely with you that when Kawhi slows down an offensive juggernaut like KD, you're clearly creating huge value for your team. That was KD's very first game back though, but still 6-19 is solid for Kawhi. We can normally expect him to go 9 or 10 for 19, so that's 6-10 points we can realistic attribute to Kawhi's smothering D. Add on his 32 points (on a very strong percentage + making his FT's), and via rough math you have yourself an efficient ~40 or so points created on both ends (no assists for him). If we want to give Kawhi the benefit of the doubt and say KD would have potentially put up one of his elite games and gone 15-25 if not for him, we're still in the 50-55 " theoretical points created" zone. Looking closer at that 53+9 with 2 TO's night he had, given the assists that went for 3's it was actually 75 points created (not theoretical, actual), and he did it on a 72% TS (Kawhi's was 66%).

That's all pretty rough, but I think it helps illustrate just what a massive impact he can have when he's on the court. Funny thing is they're both doing this in ~32 mpg.

So long as Lebron's continuing this trend from late last season + playoffs into this year where his defense is mostly non-existent and his 3pt shot is legendarily bad, I don't see how he's really in the discussion. That said, if the Cavs secure the #1 seed (which they probably will), he will be.

WaDe03
11-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Dwyane Wade.

Charmers will put a stop to Steph Curry in January like he put a stop to Linsanity a couple years back lol.

Bowman53
11-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Dwyane Wade.

Charmers will put a stop to Steph Curry in January like he put a stop to Linsanity a couple years back lol.

You better leave that chronic alone.

WaDe03
11-03-2015, 02:40 PM
You better leave that chronic alone.

Do you really think Steph could score even 10 on Chalmers?

deaner
11-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Steph without a doubt. Dude has me thinking his shoes aren't so bad.

SPURSFAN1
11-03-2015, 06:42 PM
The NBA put all the Spurs vs Warriors games at the end of the season. Don't wanna give the Warriors an early season loss. Hell even Leonard has proven to take the Warriors without the big three. Leonard is just doing it big this year. Klay and Curry gonna get locked up like usual.

DemarDerozan
11-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Blake Griffin for MVP

Dark Horse Dre Drummond

kdspurman
11-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Definitely with you that when Kawhi slows down an offensive juggernaut like KD, you're clearly creating huge value for your team. That was KD's very first game back though, but still 6-19 is solid for Kawhi. We can normally expect him to go 9 or 10 for 19, so that's 6-10 points we can realistic attribute to Kawhi's smothering D. Add on his 32 points (on a very strong percentage + making his FT's), and via rough math you have yourself an efficient ~40 or so points created on both ends (no assists for him). If we want to give Kawhi the benefit of the doubt and say KD would have potentially put up one of his elite games and gone 15-25 if not for him, we're still in the 50-55 " theoretical points created" zone. Looking closer at that 53+9 with 2 TO's night he had, given the assists that went for 3's it was actually 75 points created (not theoretical, actual), and he did it on a 72% TS (Kawhi's was 66%).

That's all pretty rough, but I think it helps illustrate just what a massive impact he can have when he's on the court. Funny thing is they're both doing this in ~32 mpg.

So long as Lebron's continuing this trend from late last season + playoffs into this year where his defense is mostly non-existent and his 3pt shot is legendarily bad, I don't see how he's really in the discussion. That said, if the Cavs secure the #1 seed (which they probably will), he will be.

Yeah the production they are giving in 32mpg is crazy.

I agree with this post though, and about Lebron. I don't see it either unless they're 1, but who knows. Another team could nab up the 1 spot like Atl did last year.

Bowman53
11-03-2015, 11:34 PM
Kawhi is a very good two way player but I don't see any chance he'll get more MVP votes than Lebron. Especially if he's averaging less than 20 points a game. The Cavs indeed will be a one seed which will only put Lebron near the top in MVP voting.

FlashBolt
11-04-2015, 03:17 AM
LeBron won't be getting MVP. He'll get votes for reputation but he's not producing enough to warrant it.

Btw, that was KD's first game! Totally unfair man! As for Melo, he'd been struggling all but one game. Again, Kawhi is a great defender but he did not stop KD! No one can!

RateSports
11-04-2015, 10:30 AM
LeBron won't be getting MVP. He'll get votes for reputation but he's not producing enough to warrant it.

Btw, that was KD's first game! Totally unfair man! As for Melo, he'd been struggling all but one game. Again, Kawhi is a great defender but he did not stop KD! No one can!

Its like 4 games into the season lol.

kdspurman
11-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Melo had been struggling, but if you don't think he was shut down by Kawhi, I don't know what to tell you. He impacted everything Melo tried to do. Melo was asked about how Kawhi guarded him and he said it got to a point where he was just trying to draw fouls cause he couldn't get good looks.

As for Durant... Yes it was his first game (it was both teams first games in months as well if we aren't including pre-season) He certainly missed a few shots that I thought he'd make. However, again... It was also Kawhi's defense that made him uncomfortable. He blocked him a couple times, stole it, and really gave him no air space. Great defense, and handing it to him on the other end. He dominated both ends. I mean Durant finished with 22 anyway so that shows how gifted he is, but that's as close as you can get to really shutting Durant out. (Durant bounced back with what 43 points 2 nights later?)

I already know your thoughts on Kawhi though... Maybe you'll realize one day he's a top 10 player, and likely higher than that if he continues on this path. Probably top 7 now.. Not bad for just a "system player"