PDA

View Full Version : Can Dwight Howard be MVP?

HeatFan
10-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Seems difficult to really see him as an MVP. He has to beat out a few good players and one is even on his own team!!

YesMcCann
10-18-2014, 05:57 PM
No. He's always been overrated, and he will not achieve much for the remainder of his career.

ghettosean
10-18-2014, 06:01 PM
0% chance of this ever happening.

Htownballa1622
10-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Can he? Sure.

Is it likely? Not really

He was the mvp the year Rose won it imo.

DemarDerozan
10-18-2014, 06:39 PM
Last I checked any player or starter is eligible to win the award if they play the minimum amount of games. So yes he can... In the same way Kris Humphries.

Will he? Well no probably not. He probably has the same chance as scrubs like Humphries and Bargs.

DemarDerozan
10-18-2014, 06:40 PM
What happened to this forum. It's gotten really unrealistic really fast.

abe_froman
10-18-2014, 07:20 PM
possible,but highly improbable.his best chance was during his years with the magic,sharing the spotlight with harden will seriously hinder him(if the rockets have a good enough record to deem it)

Cal827
10-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Can he? Sure.

Is it likely? Not really

He was the mvp the year Rose won it imo.

Pretty much this. For him to win it this season, he'll have to have an absolutely phenomenal season that compares to some of the legendary Centers.

I don't think that Houston will be high enough in the standings this season (as this is usually considered), and even if they are, the media doesn't exactly like the Rockets, due to some of the comments by Howard/Morey/Harden, so they might try and look at another candidate for MVP, the more "feel Good" guy. For example, if Curry also has a great year, or Griffin/Paul, and their teams are also among the West Elite, they might look at them instead.... kinda like how Rose was looked at over Lebron/Howard a few years back due to him being a media Darling, while Lebron had just moved teams, and Howard had just started to show his anger for his situation in Orlando.

Also, Howard left a huge market in LA..... voters will remember that lol

Hawkeye15
10-18-2014, 07:27 PM
potentially, but the Rox would need to overachieve and finish top 3 in the west, and he would need to have his greatest year at the FT ever haha. A 22/13 season isn't going to cut it.

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-18-2014, 07:35 PM
No, next thread

KnicksorBust
10-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Its highly unlikely but I dont see why it cant be a thread. He is still probably one of the top 15 most likely to win it in the entire world.

5ass
10-18-2014, 07:40 PM
No. He's always been overrated, and he will not achieve much for the remainder of his career.

No he hasn't always been overrated. In fact, he was underrated when he was with the magic. He's getting underrated now by many people. He's still arguably the best big man in the NBA unless Davis, cousins, ect blows up to become an MVP candidate.

To respond to the thread topic, I think its unlikely, but possible. Durant and bron are number one

Saddletramp
10-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Double post

slashsnake
10-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Pretty unlikely, and Olajuwon working with him doesn't give me a lot of hope. He worked with Javale McGee, who still looks like he's having an epileptic fit with his post moves, and Kenneth Faried, who's offensive game looks like it's based on Dennis Rodman.

Saddletramp
10-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Last I checked any player or starter is eligible to win the award if they play the minimum amount of games. So yes he can... In the same way Kris Humphries. .

Will he? Well no probably not. He probably has the same chance as scrubs like Humphries and Bargs.

lol. If Harden gets hurt for the year, and Howard leads the Rockets to a top 2 or 3 seed (unlikely but possible), then it's very possible he could win it. Do you really think Bargani or Humphries could lead their team to a top seed if Carmelo pr whomever goes down? Give me a break.

What happened to this forum. It's gotten really unrealistic really fast.

It sure has.

InRoseWeTrust
10-18-2014, 09:38 PM
The year Rose won it he was statistically worthy - he was damn near superhuman in Orlando. I don't think there's much of a chance he'll get one going forward considering he has declined post-back injury and is now (arguably) second fiddle on his own team.

FlashBolt
10-18-2014, 11:07 PM
Dwight Howard sucks. I'm sorry but he is just God awful right now. I would rather have Noah than him and that speaks volumes considering Dwight used to be great.

Htownballa1622
10-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Dwight Howard sucks. I'm sorry but he is just God awful right now. I would rather have Noah than him and that speaks volumes considering Dwight used to be great.

One thing to not think dwight is the best center.

It's another to say he sucks. Smh. Dumb.

amos1er
10-19-2014, 12:31 AM
He just doesn't have the talent around him to win enough games in the West. I do think that he deserved it in 2011 however.

DemarDerozan
10-19-2014, 02:34 AM
lol. If Harden gets hurt for the year, and Howard leads the Rockets to a top 2 or 3 seed (unlikely but possible), then it's very possible he could win it. Do you really think Bargani or Humphries could lead their team to a top seed if Carmelo pr whomever goes down? Give me a break.
It sure has.

Probably not. But there is zero percent chance that "D12" (does he really rate a nickname anymore?) takes the Rockets to a top 3 seed in the West. If he were up to his All Star level he could lead them to a 5-8 place in the East... Maybe.

DemarDerozan
10-19-2014, 02:35 AM
He just doesn't have the talent around him to win enough games in the West. I do think that he deserved it in 2011 however.

I was more for CP3 that year... But he was right there.

PeanutPunch33
10-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Maybe when he learns how to make FTs

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-19-2014, 07:42 AM
His best chances were in his younger days back with Orlando.

da ThRONe
10-19-2014, 12:25 PM

I disagree. I think if health they are better this year than last. I think people sleep on Terrence Jones who really only got meaningful playing time last year. Also I think Ariza is a better fit than Parsons. They clearly lost some depth, but I think fit wise they are better and will be a top 3 seed after beating out the Spurs for the division.

mightybosstone
10-19-2014, 12:41 PM
Its highly unlikely but I dont see why it cant be a thread. He is still probably one of the top 15 most likely to win it in the entire world.
This.

And this. If Harden were to somehow miss significant time and Howard kept the Rockets afloat in the Western Conference playoff race, Howard could make an MVP run similar to Blake Griffin's last season.

Tony_Starks
10-19-2014, 01:18 PM
I actually felt he got shafted out of a MVP that year he led Orlando to the Finals. Played great all season.

As of now those days are over. He's still a allstar but he's lost some athleticism and Houston isn't good enough to finish with the best record in the West, which is what it would take to put him in the conversation....

Saddletramp
10-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Although the writer doesn't necessarily agree, Hakeem thinks if Dwight stops messing around and truly focuses, he could win it.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/18/hakeem-olajuwon-dwight-howard-ready-for-mvp-type-season/?utm_network=facebook&utm_post=3090124&utm_source=FB%20-%20NBC%20Sports&utm_tags=

mrblisterdundee
10-19-2014, 04:28 PM
It's unlikely, but if he plays like he did in Orlando and the Rockets do well, then obviously it's a possibility.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Nah. He's like 10th in line and the difference between the top 4 to the guy at 10th is way too big for him to overcome.

HeatFan
10-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Although the writer doesn't necessarily agree, Hakeem thinks if Dwight stops messing around and truly focuses, he could win it.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/18/hakeem-olajuwon-dwight-howard-ready-for-mvp-type-season/?utm_network=facebook&utm_post=3090124&utm_source=FB%20-%20NBC%20Sports&utm_tags=

This is why I posted this thread. Because of Olajuwon's comments. I respect Olajuwon but I think he is really off here. Not that Howard is a bad player but I just think his window for mvp consideration no longer exists and more now that low post play is not really that common in the nba anymore, with very few exceptions. Howard also has another teammate that really takes up offensive control (for good or bad) and there is so much competition now.

That said, I wonder what Olajuwon is seeing that we don't.

Iron24th
10-19-2014, 05:59 PM
I don't see how he can, his best days are behind him, and he never won it during his best days.

Bruno
10-19-2014, 06:05 PM
i don't think houston can get a top 2 spot in the WC.

toekneele
10-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Those MVP days are gone with the magic.