PDA

View Full Version : Cavs coach on Dion Waiters: "I don't think he should lead the team in shots."

Htownballa1622
10-18-2014, 05:22 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/18/cavaliers-coach-david-blatt-on-dion-waiters-i-dont-think-he-should-lead-the-team-in-shots/

game 5- 14 pts 4-15 27%
game 4- 8 pts 4-14 29%
game 3- 23 pts 8-13 62%
game 2 - 16 pts 7-12 58%
game 1- 15 pts 6-14 43%

I know it's pre-season but should Waiters be leading the team in shots in every game?
Is he better suited as this team's 6th man?
Will this be an issue?
Thoughts?

Kaner
10-18-2014, 05:30 PM
No
Absolutely
Probably

Waiters seems like an obvious 6th man on that team. He is much more effective with the ball in his hands and isn't an exceptional passer or shooter for a shooting guard. It's probably going to be a problem if his tweets over the summer are anything to go by when he scoffed at the idea of coming off the bench.

BALLER R
10-18-2014, 05:32 PM
If that's the case in the regular season it will be a problem. He can't just look to shoot all the time especially when he's a 4th option on that team at best.

WITZ
10-18-2014, 06:12 PM
The rest of Blatts quote" On the other hand I donít really care. I just want us to take good shots and make them" sums up the feelings on his offense share the ball and take a shot when u got a good look. Not to mention I think all but one game has been missing either lbj,love,kyrie or 2 of them so more shots are obvious.

And those who say he would have a issue coming off the bench heres his quote on that "Iím willing to do anything for the team at the end of the day,Ē Waiters added. ďIf thatís coming off the bench, Iíll come off the bench. Coach knows that. He knows Iím just being myself as a competitor."

Goose17
10-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Waiters, Barnes and Reggie Jackson should form a "not-so-big 3" they can recruit all the other disgruntled bench players as well.

slashsnake
10-18-2014, 09:48 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/18/cavaliers-coach-david-blatt-on-dion-waiters-i-dont-think-he-should-lead-the-team-in-shots/

game 5- 14 pts 4-15 27%
game 4- 8 pts 4-14 29%
game 3- 23 pts 8-13 62%
game 2 - 16 pts 7-12 58%
game 1- 15 pts 6-14 43%

I know it's pre-season but should Waiters be leading the team in shots in every game?
Is he better suited as this team's 6th man?
Will this be an issue?
Thoughts?

Ehh.. it's the preseason, it matters exactly not at all.

Illyasova shouldn't be leading his team in shots

Jeremy Lamb and then Mitch McGary shouldn't be leading the Thunder in shots and both in the top 8 in the league in shots per game.

Terrence Ross shouldn't be leading Toronto in shots

Anthony Bennett shouldn't be leading Minnesota.

Xavier Silas shouldn't be out of the NBA last year and leading Washington in shots.

FlashBolt
10-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Waiters needs to be traded. I like him a lot because of his aggressiveness, relentlessness, and athleticism.. but this is not the setting for him to excel at. I can see Blatt sitting Waiters out and teaching him a lesson, Waiters starting drama, and tensions starting in Cleveland. Temporary issues but Blatt calls you out. He doesn't care who you are. Waiters needs to adjust his game because with Kyrie/Love/James, he should be lucky to even get 10 shots per game. I say trade Waiters for some more defensive minded players.

JLeBeau76
10-18-2014, 11:40 PM
How about instead of yet again using this as a platform to bash Waiters we look at why he's leading in shots taken

*Its preseason!

*Love has been deferring to teamates as he adjusts to his new surrounding.

*Irving has played two games.

*LBJ has been as disinterested in these games as you can get.

Outside of the big three, you'd expect Waiters to be next in line shotwise. Once the Cavs get to the reg season this will work itself out.

FlashBolt
10-18-2014, 11:47 PM
How about instead of yet again using this as a platform to bash Waiters we look at why he's leading in shots taken

*Its preseason!

*Love has been deferring to teamates as he adjusts to his new surrounding.

*Irving has played two games.

*LBJ has been as disinterested in these games as you can get.

Outside of the big three, you'd expect Waiters to be next in line shotwise. Once the Cavs get to the reg season this will work itself out.

If you watched the preseason games, you can see Waiters taking shots that were just horrible shots. He would hold the ball for a couple of seconds with a defender right on him and still take the shot. You can't teach that.. That's self-motivated by his killer instinct (Westbrook). Now, if he were taking wide open shots from hockey passes, etc,., I would understand. However, that wasn't the case 50% of the time.

Vampirate
10-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Everyone with a brain cell "well duh Dion should not lead the team in shots"

JLeBeau76
10-19-2014, 01:14 AM
If you watched the preseason games, you can see Waiters taking shots that were just horrible shots. He would hold the ball for a couple of seconds with a defender right on him and still take the shot. You can't teach that.. That's self-motivated by his killer instinct (Westbrook). Now, if he were taking wide open shots from hockey passes, etc,., I would understand. However, that wasn't the case 50% of the time.

Oh, I agree he took some bad shots...Dion is a cringe/wow type of player atm. I just think things shouldn't be blown out of proportion due to preseason shot attempts.

I'm not in a position to pull up the info needed but I believe he was very efficient in the first preseason game where everyone was available. This Mondays game will be interesting as well because everyone is expected to be available.

I'm not in agreement in trading him for defensive players because I see him as insurance if one of the big three is out due to injury. He can take up the slack offensively on most nights in most of those situations. He can also be played with the second unit alot to help with keeping the game manageable.

Htownballa1622
10-19-2014, 01:37 AM
Ehh.. it's the preseason, it matters exactly not at all.

Illyasova shouldn't be leading his team in shots

Jeremy Lamb and then Mitch McGary shouldn't be leading the Thunder in shots and both in the top 8 in the league in shots per game.

Terrence Ross shouldn't be leading Toronto in shots

Anthony Bennett shouldn't be leading Minnesota.

Xavier Silas shouldn't be out of the NBA last year and leading Washington in shots.

I get it's preseason but I'm not the coach that said the remarks.

I was just asking questions I feel were relevant.

We shall see how it plays out as the season goes on.

slashsnake
10-19-2014, 02:31 AM
I get it's preseason but I'm not the coach that said the remarks.

I was just asking questions I feel were relevant.

We shall see how it plays out as the season goes on.

The coach didn't bring it up, he was asked about it. If Scott Brooks was asked if Durant should shoot less than Lamb I think he'd have the same answer... I think "On the other hand I donít really care." is the best part of his answer.

I understand your point, but I don't think there's a single person alive who thinks Waiters should or will lead that team in shots taken in the regular season. This happens all the time, it doesn't carry through to the regular season. Hodges leading the bulls in pre-season shot attempts (and he would chuck them in pre-season, not sure if he did lead them but if not, he was close), didn't mean Jordan would be stuck watching him take all the shots in the regular season.

I don't think it will be an issue either.

Bron, Love, and Irving won't be sitting out 1/3 of the games, they won't be getting limited to 22 minutes a game. Waiters won't be playing a lot more minutes than those three.

As for use, I could see him as that 6th man a bit. Providing offense when 2 of the three are out, maybe taking a more focal part of it when Irving goes out and Lebron is in more of a facilitator role.

I'd see him getting 8-10 shots a game, nearly half of them assisted 3 point attempts where he's the open guy if he keeps up on D.

IKnowHoops
10-19-2014, 03:12 AM
Waiters needs to be traded. I like him a lot because of his aggressiveness, relentlessness, and athleticism.. but this is not the setting for him to excel at. I can see Blatt sitting Waiters out and teaching him a lesson, Waiters starting drama, and tensions starting in Cleveland. Temporary issues but Blatt calls you out. He doesn't care who you are. Waiters needs to adjust his game because with Kyrie/Love/James, he should be lucky to even get 10 shots per game. I say trade Waiters for some more defensive minded players.

I know where your coming from but I completely disagree. Waiters shooting is completely circumstantial and there is no way this happens in the regular season. Hell have games where he may get really hot and Lebron will keep feeding him, but generally it won't happen and I don't see it as a problem at all. He's a scoring talent and I wouldn't trade him for for a Bruce Bowen the of player when they already have Marion. He will be a reason why Bron won't have to play 38 minutes a game. They need him to preserve Bron. He will be fine.