PDA

View Full Version : How good can Anthony Davis be?

FlashBolt
10-17-2014, 01:26 AM
I'm in awe that he just turned 21 years old. I haven't seen someone this hyped up in quite some time (other than James). For him to be considered a top 5 player and arguably third best player by some reports, is certainly impressive. But, how good can he really be? I know it's relatively early to predict but better than KG? (KG is my second greatest PF, Barkley third, Malone fourth, and Dirk fifth). Dude is killing it in efficiency and by all advanced numbers, he's ranked near the top. If he can pack a couple of more pounds and develop a more offensive approach, I think he can have an argument as the third greatest PF when he retires.

Matter.
10-17-2014, 01:27 AM
Very good.

goingfor28
10-17-2014, 01:29 AM
Potential to be amazing. He's already ridiculously talented and only 21.

FlashBolt
10-17-2014, 01:34 AM
I wasn't old enough to watch KG at age 21. I do know he was a better midrange shooter and passer. Probably top 10 in terms of all around dominance. Saw him from 2003 to now, he's the closest thing to Hakeem in terms of what a big man can do. Was he better than KG was at 21? Just wanted a more clear picture of his skillset.

Crackadalic
10-17-2014, 02:19 AM
Let's just say AD at 20 beats Kg at 20 across the board outside of assist and just slightly below on defense and I mean the tiniest margins

Let's just say at age 20 AD has a per of 26 which KG hasn't even come close to till age 26

Davis is going to be a superstar

IKnowHoops
10-17-2014, 03:57 AM
Davis is really impressive and he has filled out a lot. He won't be better than Shaq, Drob, Hakeem, KAJ, Wilt, Duncan or KG, but after that I think he could definitely drop in there. As a defensive inside presence he is already better than KG ever was though. I think he can probably crack the top 30 all-time and maybe even be the 3rd best player this year in the league. I'm really liking what he is doing out there. And his body has really grown into a wide shouldered solid nba body. I think he will be better than Dwight Howard ever was, but I think they will be very comparable when its all said and done with Davis having the edge.

PurpleJesus
10-17-2014, 04:36 AM
He will be a superstar, who people will start hating on and questioning if he doesnt have a ring by the age of 24, and he will be called overrated by many.

aLau10
10-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Without a question a superstar. Kids got talent. I never had a liking for scrawny players, I still don't but he is definitely one that stands out to me. Gives me the a feeling hed be mixure of KG and Hakeem.

Now if he can just use his contract money to fix up his freaking teeth and trim the unibrow into normal human brows....

FlashBolt
10-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Davis is really impressive and he has filled out a lot. He won't be better than Shaq, Drob, Hakeem, KAJ, Wilt, Duncan or KG, but after that I think he could definitely drop in there. As a defensive inside presence he is already better than KG ever was though. I think he can probably crack the top 30 all-time and maybe even be the 3rd best player this year in the league. I'm really liking what he is doing out there. And his body has really grown into a wide shouldered solid nba body. I think he will be better than Dwight Howard ever was, but I think they will be very comparable when its all said and done with Davis having the edge.

Nah, there is no way AD was better than KG at defense. I've watched KG from 2003 to present day. KG's defense was definitely better than AD's.

TrueFan420
10-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Nah, there is no way AD was better than KG at defense. I've watched KG from 2003 to present day. KG's defense was definitely better than AD's.

The real question for me is will they be able to build a real team around him or will he languish on a mediocre team for the majority of his career like KG did.

IKnowHoops
10-17-2014, 02:44 PM

Hes not better than KG defending all over the court, but as far as shot blocking goes, he's better. He's more of a natural shot blocker than KG. If a player drives the lane, he has to worry more about AD than KG from a shot blocking perspective.

Oefarmy2005
10-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Kevin Garnett/Tim Duncan good. Remember, in 2003 KG was in his prime and Davis is about 3-4 years away from entering his. You also have to account for playstyle of the NBA as a whole - it's easier to score points now that it was 10 years ago. I expect AD to be a better scoring, a little worse defending version of Garnett basically. I think he has top 10 PF of all time type of potential.

da ThRONe
10-17-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm not as high on Davis as most. Right now he's mostly hype. I don't think he ever gets better than Kevin Love let alone Garnett or Duncan. His advance stats will look great, but his actual impact on a game will be far less IMO. As a Pelicans fan hopefully I'm dead wrong and he lives up to the hype. A KG type player for at least 7 more years would be great.

ManningToTyree
10-17-2014, 03:21 PM
An absolute superstar/ top 5 MVP candidate annually. So much potential and he is already one of the best players at his position.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-17-2014, 03:30 PM
He can be better than Duncan all time if all goes well. Of course he'll never have the coaching or teammates or FO of Duncan so he'll never get the same amount of titles.

tredigs
10-17-2014, 03:32 PM
He's a massively overrated defensive presence at this point due to his raw shot-blocking #'s being elite. Sky is the limit, though. He needs a great coach to set him off.

He is the most overrated player in basketball without question, but it's fun to see how good he already is at such a young age.

xbrackattackx
10-17-2014, 03:37 PM
He's a massively overrated defensive presence at this point due to his raw shot-blocking #'s being elite. Sky is the limit, though. He needs a great coach to set him off.

He is the most overrated player in basketball without question, but it's fun to see how good he already is at such a young age.

If Pop or Van Gundy coached him....drooool.

JEDean89
10-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Pelicans have done a nice job getting talent around him. Now they need to be healthy and learn to gel.

I am higher on Anthony Davis then I am on any player on the planet. I know this is a league where one has to earn his bones before people really pore on the praise but I think he is all time greatness. How many guys are 7 ft tall, with a 7' 6" wingspan, can run the floor and shoot like a guard, get you 20 and 10 and average almost 3 blocks and 1.5 steals a game, before they are 21?! You can't compare Davis to KG, KG was not at Davis's level at 21, he was really good, but not AD good.

KG has played out his career, he won a chip and was a Perennial Allstar. That is Davis's floor IMO. Davis has the ability to become a very unique player. IMO he will be KG 2.0. Something like a 25 12 4 player with 3+ blocks and 2 + steals in his prime. That would be an absolutely insane player. Last march his averages were 24 11 2 with 2.5 blocks and a steal. He is not too far off.

tredigs
10-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Pelicans have done a nice job getting talent around him. Now they need to be healthy and learn to gel.

I am higher on Anthony Davis then I am on any player on the planet. I know this is a league where one has to earn his bones before people really pore on the praise but I think he is all time greatness. How many guys are 7 ft tall, with a 7' 6" wingspan, can run the floor and shoot like a guard, get you 20 and 10 and average almost 3 blocks and 1.5 steals a game, before they are 21?! You can't compare Davis to KG, KG was not at Davis's level at 21, he was really good, but not AD good.

KG has played out his career, he won a chip and was a Perennial Allstar. That is Davis's floor IMO. Davis has the ability to become a very unique player. IMO he will be KG 2.0. Something like a 25 12 4 player with 3+ blocks and 2 + steals in his prime. That would be an absolutely insane player. Last march his averages were 24 11 2 with 2.5 blocks and a steal. He is not too far off.

"Anthony Davis shoots like a guard". Stop there. First of all, KG was both a far better shooter and a far better/more dynamic defender than AD at 21. But, AD lives under the hoop for the most part -- hence the better overall %'s and higher shot-blocking #'s. The massive wingspan and lack of power-bigs in our current NBA doesn't hurt. At that age KG was a super-mobile defender who was out guarding 2's on the ball as much as he was 4's down low. He was also already a better playmaker than AD likely ever will be (not often bigs that can't pass develop that ability to a great extent throughout their career).

Davis is better at certain things, but KG was so much more dynamic in what he could bring to the floor, and that's not bringing in his All-Time Great level of tenacity and competitiveness that was already apparent in his game. That competitiveness is often what separates great players from All-Timers. We'll see if AD's got it and continues to take his game to the next level (namely, understanding the many nuances of how to be a great defender and how to work better with his teammates offensively).

If Pop or Van Gundy coached him....drooool.
Yuh

Goose17
10-17-2014, 06:29 PM
He is the most overrated player in basketball without question

lol. He's really not. You just underrate him horribly.

The most overrated player in basketball right now is either Love, Kobe (on psd) or Parsons.

JEDean89
10-17-2014, 11:10 PM
@ tredigs, you are comparing prime AD to 21 year old KG. I am comparing 21 to 21, AD is the better player. And yes he shoots 80% from the line, and can hit the midrange jumper. That is shooting like a guard, though I get he doesn't shoot 3's. He likely will develop that in a short time though.

Davis is a unique player, KG definitely had intensity but Davis has is own leadership qualities. He did a pretty good job with team USA being the alpha. I get that nobody is just gonna hand Davis the praise he deserves until he has played more years but I honestly think that this guy is gonna blow people away. That is just what I and many others believe. He certainly hasn't earned top 3 status yet, but I think he will have it really soon.

naps
10-18-2014, 02:48 AM
He will be a top 5, possibly top 3 player after this season. LeBron, Durant, and him will be top 3 players for next half decade.

Mr_Jones
10-18-2014, 03:15 AM
Let's just say AD at 20 beats Kg at 20 across the board outside of assist and just slightly below on defense and I mean the tiniest margins

Let's just say at age 20 AD has a per of 26 which KG hasn't even come close to till age 26

Davis is going to be a superstar

Who THE **** CARES

KingPosey
10-18-2014, 04:02 AM

Lol whaaaaat?

KingPosey
10-18-2014, 04:04 AM

Anthony Davis' floor is to be the second best PF of all time or maybe third?!

tredigs
10-18-2014, 05:38 AM

The most overrated player in basketball right now is either Love, Kobe (on psd) or Parsons.
No, you just can't differentiate the difference between blocked shots and elite defenders. Rest assure, you're not alone.

Goose17
10-18-2014, 06:16 AM
No, you just can't differentiate the difference between blocked shots and elite defenders. Rest assure, you're not alone.

Sure I can. Everyone thought Ibaka was an elite defender due to his shot blocking despite his rotations being god awful and his defending of the pick and roll being questionable at best. But he's elevated his game to the point where he is actually a pretty good defender now as well as a great shot blocker.

Davis may not be an elite defender yet but he's still a high caliber defender for his position (and one of the best at his position defensively) and if you don't think so then you clearly haven't watched him play or you don't know as much about the game as you think you do.

And don't give me this metric pish. There's not a single defensive metric available that is a reliable way of measuring a players defensive ability. Any stat head will agree with that.

mike_noodles
10-18-2014, 11:40 AM
He could be the best player in the league by the end of this season. Boy was I wrong about this kid. I thought he was a glorified Tyson Chandler.

Vinny642
10-18-2014, 03:53 PM

Actually his defense is fine. Going against centers that are bigger than him, is rough.. but going against PFs around his height/weight, his defense isnt bad. Asik is the perfect C to put next to him, also Davis had increased his muscle/weight again, this offseason, so he will be better matched at defending other big men.

ChicagoFan4Eva
10-18-2014, 04:12 PM
He should come to home soon :D

sep11ie
10-18-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm scared of how good he'll be with Asik next to him.

JasonJohnHorn
10-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Right now, I see him as being almost as good as Duncan....which would put him in the conversation with Garnett and likely ahead of Barkely and Malone. My concern is his health.... I get this feeling that he will be injury prone for some reason.

FlashBolt
10-18-2014, 11:12 PM

How is Love overrated.. His numbers speak for themselves.. Minnesota with Love were on par with the more better teams. When Love sat, that was when the Wolves completely disintegrated into nothing. I don't see how you can find Love overrated. He gets more than his fair share of bashing.

He could be the best player in the league by the end of this season. Boy was I wrong about this kid. I thought he was a glorified Tyson Chandler.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. LeBron/KD are still 1, 1a.

Vampirate
10-18-2014, 11:17 PM
How is Love overrated.. His numbers speak for themselves.. Minnesota with Love were on par with the more better teams. When Love sat, that was when the Wolves completely disintegrated into nothing. I don't see how you can find Love overrated. He gets more than his fair share of bashing.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. LeBron/KD are still 1, 1a.

While true, one thing is by the time AD reaches his prime, Lebron will be completely out of his, and Durant will be on the wrong side of 30. It's entirely possible Davis might be the best player in the future depending on how things unfold.

FlashBolt
10-18-2014, 11:30 PM
While true, one thing is by the time AD reaches his prime, Lebron will be completely out of his, and Durant will be on the wrong side of 30. It's entirely possible Davis might be the best player in the future depending on how things unfold.

Well, you did say at the end of this season. There is no doubt he has potential to be the next best player. But the amazing part of KD is he's a sniper. He's going to be pouring 30+ PPG easy for the next 6-7 years. Will be tough to surpass KD but if AD becomes more of an offensive threat and polishes his all around defense game, he has a chance.

Vampirate
10-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Well, you did say at the end of this season. There is no doubt he has potential to be the next best player. But the amazing part of KD is he's a sniper. He's going to be pouring 30+ PPG easy for the next 6-7 years. Will be tough to surpass KD but if AD becomes more of an offensive threat and polishes his all around defense game, he has a chance.

'I' said at the end of this season? :confused:;)

FlashBolt
10-18-2014, 11:49 PM
'I' said at the end of this season? :confused:;)

I need to go to sleep. Being stuck at my aunt's house for the weekend sucks and now I'm mixing up names.