PDA

View Full Version : Can Steph Curry ever be the MVP?

Hulk6
10-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Other than the year which he missed due to the ankle, he is has improved his all around game since he came in the league.

He has been called the best shooter in the game and is a very underrated play maker with a great all around game.

He may not be a realistic candidate this year per say but with KD out for a couple months and lebron needing time to adapt with his new team, Could you ever see Curry winning the MVP?

Legitimate
10-17-2014, 12:30 AM
sure

Cal827
10-17-2014, 12:31 AM
sure

THE MTL
10-17-2014, 12:32 AM
Yeah he could if the Warriors finished top 2 in the west

goingfor28
10-17-2014, 12:32 AM
sure

beasted86
10-17-2014, 12:56 AM
This may or may not make sense.... but if his team had more wins he would be MVP. That's how carelessly the media votes on this award.

FlashBolt
10-17-2014, 01:13 AM
Nope. GSW are going to be battling for the third spot this season. Hard to see them being a top 5 team in the wins column. That along with the fact that: BG, CP3, Bron, and KD are more appealing. He's top 10 for sure in MVP voting but when Anthony Davis comes along, it's a wrap.

numba1CHANGsta
10-17-2014, 01:40 AM
Nope and he never will, GSW will never be a top 3 team

P&GRealist
10-17-2014, 01:43 AM
Needs to be more selective in his 3 pt attempts. Just hoisting up 10-12 3 pointers a game, a great portion of them contested from 30 feet is not good basketball. And play a little bit more D, like Klay does.

He has a longs away from being a consistent worthy MVP type of guy.

amos1er
10-17-2014, 01:45 AM
I believe he can... He has the ability, just depends on if GS can put a bit more talent around him or not. He will be the second pick option on my fantasy team this year right after Anthony Davis.

NoahH
10-17-2014, 01:53 AM
Needs to be more selective in his 3 pt attempts. Just hoisting up 10-12 3 pointers a game, a great portion of them contested from 30 feet is not good basketball. And play a little bit more D, like Klay does.

He has a longs away from being a consistent worthy MVP type of guy.

He hoists up 10-12 contested 30 footers a game and still shoots an incredible percent, what more do you want?

I agree he needs some more defense

Crackadalic
10-17-2014, 02:09 AM
They will be a top 3 seed this season so yes

Goose17
10-17-2014, 05:51 AM
Sure he can.

Griffin, Curry, Rose, Davis and Harden all have what it takes to grab an MVP award if they stay healthy and continue to develop their game.

The problem is Lebron and Durant. Lebron is the favourite every year imo and the only time someone else wins is when people get tired of voting from him. Durant earned his last year but aside from that nobody has a real chance of grabbing it over him.

With Durant injured for possibly a third of the season, I see the potential MVP favourites as;

-Lebron
-Griffin
-Curry
-Rose (if healthy)
-Harden

I'm not putting Davis on the list because I don't think New Orleans will be playing above .500

likemystylez
10-17-2014, 09:55 AM
Sure he can.

Griffin, Curry, Rose, Davis and Harden all have what it takes to grab an MVP award if they stay healthy and continue to develop their game.

The problem is Lebron and Durant. Lebron is the favourite every year imo and the only time someone else wins is when people get tired of voting from him. Durant earned his last year but aside from that nobody has a real chance of grabbing it over him.

With Durant injured for possibly a third of the season, I see the potential MVP favourites as;

-Lebron
-Griffin
-Curry
-Rose (if healthy)
-Harden

I'm not putting Davis on the list because I don't think New Orleans will be playing above .500

part of winning the mvp is the situation around you and your team too though. Westbrook has a chance if he can keep the thunder competitive (granted in reality it would be a team effort to do so)

BALLER R
10-17-2014, 09:57 AM
They usually give MVP to the best player of one of the top 3 teams. So all GS has to do is finish at the top of the west and he could get that award.

likemystylez
10-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Nope. GSW are going to be battling for the third spot this season. Hard to see them being a top 5 team in the wins column. That along with the fact that: BG, CP3, Bron, and KD are more appealing. He's top 10 for sure in MVP voting but when Anthony Davis comes along, it's a wrap.

problem with griffin and cp3 winning the award is that they are sort of competing with each other. For it to happen- one of them would have to go down... and the other one would have to carry the team.

But in regards to curry- during nashes first few seasons... I never would have thought he could be an MVP... let alone back to back.

HandsOnTheWheel
10-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Not anytime soon.

likemystylez
10-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Not anytime soon.

I dont think the question was WILL HE be the mvp.... more does he have what it takes to be an MVP...... seeing as only one player can get an MVP- there are players in every generation who have the ability to get an MVP and never get one (sometimes other factors dont line up at the same time)

Patrick Ewing had the ability to get an MVP- but it never worked out for him. I still believe he was an MVP level player

Goose17
10-17-2014, 10:13 AM
part of winning the mvp is the situation around you and your team too though. Westbrook has a chance if he can keep the thunder competitive (granted in reality it would be a team effort to do so)

True. I don't know what the odds are on people voting for two different guys on the same team back to back though.

HandsOnTheWheel
10-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Sure he can.

-Lebron
-Griffin
-Curry
-Rose (if healthy)
-Harden

So are you saying LeBron isn't worthy of being MVP?

Goose17
10-17-2014, 10:34 AM
So are you saying LeBron isn't worthy of being MVP?

No. I don't understand how you managed to get that from what I wrote. I'm saying he's the favourite every year (which is clearly due to him being the best player on the planet).

Lebron fans are way to defensive. Give the guy a compliment and they start getting paranoid that youre taking a dig at him lol.

YAALREADYKNO
10-17-2014, 10:41 AM
He does but his team will have to be a top 2 team in the west which is possible since Durant is hurt. If westbrook can keep the thunder at the top 2-3 seed in the west before Durant comes back then westbrook will have too get a lot of mvp consideration

IndyRealist
10-17-2014, 10:52 AM
When Golden State is a favorite to win it all, he'll be MVP. Best player on the best team always is a strong candidate.

aLau10
10-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Yes definitely. If not this year, I believe he will have the opportunity in the near future.

ManningToTyree
10-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Sure he can but there are more talented people standing in his way. That's not to take anything away from Curry but it's gunna be hard to out do Durant and lebron in the bear future. Then you have guys like Anthony Davis who is developing into a great two way player something curry isn't. I think golden state will settle for perennial allstar

FlashBolt
10-17-2014, 11:52 AM

That is rarely the case. It's usually a top 3 team with their star player being a top caliber player as well.

HandsOnTheWheel
10-17-2014, 12:29 PM
No. I don't understand how you managed to get that from what I wrote. I'm saying he's the favourite every year (which is clearly due to him being the best player on the planet).

Lebron fans are way to defensive. Give the guy a compliment and they start getting paranoid that youre taking a dig at him lol.
I'm not a LeBron fan after he left my team but you just worded it weird.

bigmac8675
10-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Sure... why not

force_within
10-17-2014, 09:35 PM
does Curry play defense?

flea
10-17-2014, 09:40 PM
does Curry play defense?

Nah, he checks out at half-court like they used to do in women's basketball.

Yanks All Day
10-17-2014, 10:57 PM
LeBron is still alive.
Durant is just starting.
Griffin is the current media darling.
Derrick Rose is coming back.
Anthony Davis has already basically been anointed as next.

I can't see Curry consistently finishing top 5 in voting even. Top 3 might never happen. He's an amazing player, but there are better players who are on better teams. It'll be hard for him to ever win.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-17-2014, 11:02 PM
He can be but he will never get it.

slashsnake
10-18-2014, 04:46 AM
It wouldn't totally surprise me. He starts pushing those double double numbers and gets around that 25-10 range, I could see him sneaking an award. Heck Nash snuck away with two, and Rose with one with less than that.

tredigs
10-18-2014, 05:35 AM
Curry is better than MVP Rose was as a player. Could he win it? Obviously. But the story has to be there. MVP is a storybook award as much as it is a top player award.

Hulk6
10-18-2014, 02:25 PM
He definitly has the team arund him to help

AddiX
10-18-2014, 04:06 PM
They gave two to the worst defensive player in the history of the NBA with Soft Nash.

No reason they cant give 1 to Stephanie Curry.

Goose17
10-18-2014, 04:29 PM
They gave two to the worst defensive player in the history of the NBA with Soft Nash.

LOL... I know you like to troll. But in what history is Nash the worst defensive player in history? He's not even the worst defensive player out of everyone who received the MVP award.

AddiX
10-18-2014, 04:37 PM
LOL... I know you like to troll. But in what history is Nash the worst defensive player in history? He's not even the worst defensive player out of everyone who received the MVP award.

He's among the worst, thats all that matters. If your the first man attacked on defense vs every team, every game, your terrible at defense and the entire team has to cover up for you. That's Steve Nash...

And when did it become trolling every time someone doesn't agree with you? Seriously, psd got soft over the years. OMG he's baiting me! Smh...

Maybe SI will have a thread banning us from talking bad about Curry now! Wouldn't that be fun...

MagicBucsSox
10-18-2014, 04:50 PM
The hell with defense huh?

0nekhmer
10-18-2014, 05:11 PM
He's hella talented enough to yeah. I don't doubt the numbers he can put up, but he'd have to lead them to the top 1-2 seed to even be considered.. With all that talent in the west, its unfortunate he won't be close. Imagine if the Warriors were in the east? I'm pretty sure they'd make the ECF every season and probably the finals

HeatFan
10-18-2014, 05:42 PM
So crafty as a player and is a triple double threat. I would say yes although I see it unlikely.

Gagan136
10-18-2014, 06:14 PM
I believe he can... He has the ability, just depends on if GS can put a bit more talent around him or not. He will be the second pick option on my fantasy team this year right after Anthony Davis.

Really? Im new to fantasy, infact this is my first year, what makes u pick AD and SC over LBJ?

Goose17
10-18-2014, 06:32 PM
He's among the worst, thats all that matters. If your the first man attacked on defense vs every team, every game, your terrible at defense and the entire team has to cover up for you. That's Steve Nash...

And when did it become trolling every time someone doesn't agree with you? Seriously, psd got soft over the years. OMG he's baiting me! Smh...

Maybe SI will have a thread banning us from talking bad about Curry now! Wouldn't that be fun...

Lol everyone on here knows you're a troll. You have a reputation for it. Sorry bro.

AddiX
10-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Lol everyone on here knows you're a troll. You have a reputation for it. Sorry bro.

Haha ya I know, thats cuz I don't baby people when I talk, and enjoy some smack talk here and there.

They use to let us do that. But most of the time, I'm really not trolling...

TheNumber37
10-19-2014, 01:19 PM
He'd have to have put up 24-25ppg 10-12apg with 4 or 5 boards shooting lights out.
And The Warriors would have to win their division or win like 55-60 games and be 0-7 or something in games he's missed.

It's possible, but unlikely. Nash does have two MVPs though...