PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Ranked 40 on Player Rankings...

Tony_Starks
10-16-2014, 12:07 PM
I won't even give my opinion because I'm a Laker fan. But for you objective people, what do you think? Do people just assume he'll get hurt and rank him low? Or is it straight up hate? Because there's no way in the world 39 players are better than Kobe at any capacity...

sixers247
10-16-2014, 12:13 PM
what player rankings?

More-Than-Most
10-16-2014, 12:20 PM
its just the NBA is smartening up... Kobe has been horrid on the defensive end for years and not very efficient as well... I could argue alot of guys over him... Age/Injury just add to it.

bucketss
10-16-2014, 12:33 PM
a bit too high for a player whos 1-2 years from retirement and has been injured for almost 2 years.

Matter.
10-16-2014, 12:35 PM
It's ESPN what do you expect

FlashBolt
10-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Well, evaluating him from last season's performance, it's not exactly out of the world to say he's not 40. But IMO, he's a top 20 player this season. I don't think he's going to come back as strong since he has to do so much lifting with Gasol gone. He's pretty much their only veteran on court.

jaydubb
10-16-2014, 12:43 PM
I wanna know where Drose is ranked..

IKnowHoops
10-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Its a disrespect to his prime to rank him so high at this point. There is no way Kay Thompson could lock Kobe down like he did the other night if Kobe was Prime. Kobe used to annihilate defenses. He'd weave through double and triple teams and then dunk on and old Drob or a prime Duncan. He was a beast. He is not that guy anymore and people need to accept that. He is a shell of his former self. He is garbage compared to his former self. Do you remember the 11 straight 40 point games, 81 points. He is nowhere close to capable of doing any of that, so he is nowhere close to his former self. He is a bum compared to his former self. 40th is probably to high. Hell probably end up around 100 from a stat perspective by the middle of the year. Id bet half the people on the lakers would beat him 1 on 1, including swaggy P. I'd bet he is not better than Swaggy P. All he is, is a name with a good basketball mind, but the guy is not one of the best players in the league. He's a roll player now who will shoot like he's the man, but thats why he will have a lot of those 3-13 performances this year.

crewfan13
10-16-2014, 01:39 PM
I'd have to see the rest of the list, but I don't think its unreasonable to think there's 39 other guys you would take over Kobe if you were building a team for 1 year to win a championship this season. Outside of what might be considered a bit of an outlier year in '12-13, he's been getting to the hoop less and less and taking more threes, something he's not particularly good at. He's a major injury risk and we haven't seen what capacity of himself he'll be able to play at. So far, I've only see Iggy as number 39, and I don't think its egregious to think that Iggy is more valuable this year to a franchise looking to win a championship.

Tony_Starks
10-16-2014, 02:37 PM
My two cents: 40 is pretty ridiculous and really disrespectful. Kobe on his worst day is better than your average SG.

It's ESPN, I get it. But it's still wrong.

zn23
10-16-2014, 02:44 PM
It's more than fair. He only played 6 games and averaged 14 points...

Hawkeye15
10-16-2014, 02:45 PM
40 seems weird, but he really has to show (I know, odd that anyone says Kobe needs to prove anything after his amazing career), that he can still be elite, at his age, and coming off those injuries. It's totally possible that these injuries late in his playing career will make him fall off a cliff, production wise. Still, it would be odd to see Kobe almost never the best player on the court at any given time.

If I was doing those stupid ratings, I would have dropped him from all star caliber, but not that low. Probably 10 spots higher. With a disclaimer that I am only doing it because of age/injury.

SpecialFNK
10-16-2014, 02:53 PM
how did Kobe do last season? based on that this ranking is generous. he played 6 games last season and he is 36 years old.
I could see people being upset if this was all time, but this is just a ranking going into the new season. a ranking that really means nothing.

goingfor28
10-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Seems fair right now. I'd say he climbs to 20 or so by seasons end

runbch
10-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Its tough to rank Kobe atm, but with injury/age, 40 seems about right.

mightybosstone
10-16-2014, 03:26 PM
It's just injuries dude. Kobe missed essentially all of last season and is really getting up there in age. Obviously a healthy Kobe in or near his prime would be ranked a hell of a lot higher than 40, but we have no idea what kind of player he'll be this season. Even if he's only 80% of what he was before he got hurt, he's better than 40th in the league. But he may not even be that good. Only time will tell at this point.

Jamiecballer
10-16-2014, 03:30 PM
My two cents: 40 is pretty ridiculous and really disrespectful. Kobe on his worst day is better than your average SG.

His body MAY not allow him to perform any higher than that, that's the point.

verceroth
10-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Obviously they aren't looking at last years performances. They had rookies on this list who have yet to play a single nba game.
This entire list is mere speculation of what the player could be this up coming season. I heard Jordan is coming back this year and espn ranked him 420

Hawkeye15
10-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Obviously they aren't looking at last years performances. They had rookies on this list who have yet to play a single nba game.
This entire list is mere speculation of what the player could be this up coming season. I heard Jordan is coming back this year and espn ranked him 420

I am surprised these rankings are still done. I mean, does anyone really pay attention? And are we really supposed to believe there is any effort into deciding who is better between Robbie Hummel and Aaron Gray by a panel?

These things are generally stupid to me.

P&GRealist
10-16-2014, 04:01 PM
ESPN being way too nice here.

WSU Tony
10-16-2014, 04:14 PM
I won't even give my opinion because I'm a Laker fan. But for you objective people, what do you think? Do people just assume he'll get hurt and rank him low? Or is it straight up hate? Because there's no way in the world 39 players are better than Kobe at any capacity...

You didn't post a link so I don't know if you're talking about only SG or just NBA rankings in general. I'm guessing they are general rankings. My gut reaction when I heard someone saying Kobe is a top 40 player was a chuckle.

It's far more likely Kobe is a top 40 player than a top 15.... or 20 player - right?

One thing is for sure - he's ranked #1 when it comes to player pay. #1 payed player and the debate is whether he's a top 40 player or not.... Doesn't sound like a good situation for that team.

WSU Tony
10-16-2014, 04:18 PM
I am surprised these rankings are still done. I mean, does anyone really pay attention? And are we really supposed to believe there is any effort into deciding who is better between Robbie Hummel and Aaron Gray by a panel?

Tony Stark is pretty worked up about it.

%%%%
10-16-2014, 04:22 PM
They're likely predicting a decline year.

He's 36 years old, he's played 53,000 minutes (regular season + postseason), and he's coming off an injury.

mightybosstone
10-16-2014, 04:25 PM

It's been a while since I paid attention to those rankings, too. But if I remember correctly, they don't actually debate who the better player is at each position. They do a blanket scoring system for all players and then the players are ranked by their average among multiple NBA analysts.

Hawkeye15
10-16-2014, 04:26 PM
It's been a while since I paid attention to those rankings, too. But if I remember correctly, they don't actually debate who the better player is at each position. They do a blanket scoring system for all players and then the players are ranked by their average among multiple NBA analysts.

yes, that is how they do it. I only meant, why on earth do they rank the top 500? Are analysts really debating with themselves over who goes #431?

They should just do the top 50 and forget about the rest. Of course, my puppies would be a no show with my idea haha

Tony_Starks
10-16-2014, 11:18 PM
yes, that is how they do it. I only meant, why on earth do they rank the top 500? Are analysts really debating with themselves over who goes #431?

They should just do the top 50 and forget about the rest. Of course, my puppies would be a no show with my idea haha

Hawk they probably have your boy Rubio over Kobe at this point. Lol

But yeah I think the rankings are basically just for trolling purposes at this point. I'll take it though, it's all motivation.

DallasTrilla23
10-16-2014, 11:31 PM
Kobe keeps on getting disrespected left and right by everyone. I don't know 39 players that are going to be better than Kobe if healthy. I can't wait to see him put the lakers on his back and carry them to the 8th seed!

Lakers + Giants
10-17-2014, 12:00 AM
I honestly think 40 is about right, maybe even generous. Im not even being facetious, I really do think Kobe is DONE. Unfortunately.

Duncan = Donkey
10-17-2014, 12:18 AM
Kobe keeps on getting disrespected left and right by everyone. I don't know 39 players that are going to be better than Kobe if healthy. I can't wait to see him put the lakers on his back and carry them to the 8th seed!

Cmon Brah, that is not going to happen.

As for the ranking, its hard to put him anywhere to be honest, he is old and was out for an entire year.

FlashBolt
10-17-2014, 01:16 AM
I honestly think 40 is about right, maybe even generous. Im not even being facetious, I really do think Kobe is DONE. Unfortunately.

He's certainly not done. Toughest work ethic, most dedicated to his craft, more competitive than Jordan. There is no way he's done. He's not going to be a 27+ scorer but for sure, 23+ and we've seen him become more of a facilitator these past years. I've learned to never doubt Mamba. Dude carried the Lakers through that Dwight Howard debacle and was amazing.

cahawk
10-17-2014, 02:04 AM
L.A. is the Media Center & kobe the most heavily hyped and marketed of our era.
General public & fans are confused by this and confuse maketing with reality.

What Laker fans should be concerned with is kobe was paid $30 million last year, around $10 million more than next highest paid player. And more than NBA champs Duncan, Ginobli & Parker combined.
Next 2 years kobe will still easily be the highest paid.....yet only ranked the 40th best. Bad for Laker franchise.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-17-2014, 02:11 AM
He missed a lot of time last year. Obviously they don't think he's the 40th best player in the league.

likemystylez
10-17-2014, 10:21 AM
He missed a lot of time last year. Obviously they don't think he's the 40th best player in the league.

THIS- I thinkt hey would take 39 players over him in large part because both his level of play after the injuries and his ability to stay healthy and on the floor is still very much in question. If there was no question about him being able to stay healthy- my guess is that hes clearly in the top 20.

However for people expecting him to be like number 3 or number 5- that kobe might not be around too often anymore. He may show up for a few games a year.... but the days of him being able to single handedly carry a horrible lakers team (with the help of the officiating crew of course)- may not be here anymore

likemystylez
10-17-2014, 10:23 AM
L.A. is the Media Center & kobe the most heavily hyped and marketed of our era.
General public & fans are confused by this and confuse maketing with reality.

What Laker fans should be concerned with is kobe was paid $30 million last year, around $10 million more than next highest paid player. And more than NBA champs Duncan, Ginobli & Parker combined.
Next 2 years kobe will still easily be the highest paid.....yet only ranked the 40th best. Bad for Laker franchise.

You can bet that there arent 39 players that generate more revenue for their teams than kobe- LOL and that would probably be true even if kobe were dead.

likemystylez
10-17-2014, 10:28 AM
He's certainly not done. Toughest work ethic, most dedicated to his craft, more competitive than Jordan. There is no way he's done. He's not going to be a 27+ scorer but for sure, 23+ and we've seen him become more of a facilitator these past years. I've learned to never doubt Mamba. Dude carried the Lakers through that Dwight Howard debacle and was amazing.

he may very well average that- but with his team and situation... they will likely be viewed as meaningless stats. I think saying hes done- is a bit misleading- the days of him being an MVP candidate are done. He can still be a productive player in a lesser role. Unfortunately- the lakers team isnt built to give kobe a lesser role

2-ONE-5
10-17-2014, 10:42 AM
should be more like 30 i think but Kobe is hard to rank after last season

MonroeFAN
10-17-2014, 10:47 AM

There are 30 teams in the league. Based on that fact, Kobe is rated well above "Your average SG".

Tony_Starks
10-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Kobe looked pretty good last night. His mid range game is on point. I can see him average something like 25...6...7.

As far as the Lakers, we're a playoff team. That's all I can say.

MonroeFAN
10-17-2014, 11:25 AM
So a year comparable to his prime and a playoff birth that will likely require 50 wins?

Sadds The Gr8
10-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Since when do people care about Espn rankings?

MonroeFAN
10-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Kobe is crying about it.

Tony_Starks
10-17-2014, 11:46 AM
I took a gander at the list, they actually have Wade and Rondo over him. Wade and Rondo!

Wow. Wrong on so many levels....

FlashBolt
10-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Kobe looked pretty good last night. His mid range game is on point. I can see him average something like 25...6...7.

What makes you think Lakers are a better team than Pelicans? There is zero chance Lakers sniffs the playoffs this season. Not with everyone continuing to get better.

Dallas
GSW
Spurs
Clippers
Houston
OKC
Blazers

Are the top 8 choices. Then you have:

Suns
Pelicans
Memphis

I don't see Lakers being better than any of those teams. Unless Julius Randle becomes a 15/10 player, Lin turns to an All-Star PG, and Nick Young scores 20 a game, this will be a tough season. I do think Kobe can put up 25-6-5, though.

2-ONE-5
10-17-2014, 12:34 PM

all of this is nonsense, all of it.

sixers247
10-17-2014, 12:45 PM
What makes you think Lakers are a better team than Pelicans? There is zero chance Lakers sniffs the playoffs this season. Not with everyone continuing to get better.

Dallas
GSW
Spurs
Clippers
Houston
OKC
Blazers

Are the top 8 choices. Then you have:

Suns
Pelicans
Memphis

I don't see Lakers being better than any of those teams. Unless Julius Randle becomes a 15/10 player, Lin turns to an All-Star PG, and Nick Young scores 20 a game, this will be a tough season. I do think Kobe can put up 25-6-5, though.

Might get voted in with the Asian and LA vote lol.

LanceUpperCut
10-17-2014, 01:07 PM
40 may sound disrespectful but theirs a lot of good players in the this league. Where is Nash ranked would it be so disrespectful to rank him where ever he is ranked, I haven't seen the list but I can't imagine it's to high? I really don't see a big gap between the two

crewfan13
10-17-2014, 01:37 PM
When you read the headline, I think its easy to say that 40 is way too low. I need to see the rest of the list before I can really make that judgement though. I get Rondo and Wade are both walking injuries, but Kobe coming off two debilitating leg injuries isn't any better. Who would you bet on, the 35 yr old coming off two bad leg injuries (who's actually more like 40 if you take into account amount of basketball wear and tear on his body), or the two guys who are also injury prone but are younger. I have no problem with Iggy and Klay ahead of him too. Kobe is becoming more and more one dimensional too. If you look at his advanced stats, this fallacy that he's becoming a better distributor is untrue. Take out last year's tiny sample size, and his recent assist percentages haven't really gone up a ton. I'll admit his usage is down a touch in recent years, so the small increase in assist percentage does say he's passing more, but the increase in turnover percentage easily negates the increase in assist percentage, so he's not a better facilitator.

And when you look at his shooting numbers, he's getting to the basket less and taking more jumpers. He's not an elite 3 point shooter, so the only place Kobe is really an above average offensive player is in that midrange. I'll give him that he is a really good midrange player in comparison to the rest of the league, but its still not a super efficient shot.

His defense numbers like steal percentage and block percentage are down the last few years, indicating that he's a worse defender. Put that all together and forget the name. The scouting report on him basically reads that he's a great midrange scorer who isn't a great defender anymore, takes a lot of shots, isn't a huge threat from 3, and doesn't get to the rim all that often anymore, plus he's played the 3rd most minutes of active nba players, and the two guys ahead of him are 3 and 4 years older than he is and is coming off major leg injuries. I can see why some might rank him as the 40th best player in the league.

WaDe03
10-17-2014, 01:54 PM
I took a gander at the list, they actually have Wade and Rondo over him. Wade and Rondo!

Wow. Wrong on so many levels....

Wade and Kobe have been pretty close since Wade came in the league idk what you're so upset about but Wade is for sure better than Kobe now.

As for the list I agree with you ESPN is on some **** and disrespected Wade and Kobe but they will both prove them wrong.

Chronz
10-17-2014, 01:56 PM
When you read the headline, I think its easy to say that 40 is way too low. I need to see the rest of the list before I can really make that judgement though. I get Rondo and Wade are both walking injuries, but Kobe coming off two debilitating leg injuries isn't any better. Who would you bet on, the 35 yr old coming off two bad leg injuries (who's actually more like 40 if you take into account amount of basketball wear and tear on his body), or the two guys who are also injury prone but are younger. I have no problem with Iggy and Klay ahead of him too. Kobe is becoming more and more one dimensional too. If you look at his advanced stats, this fallacy that he's becoming a better distributor is untrue. Take out last year's tiny sample size, and his recent assist percentages haven't really gone up a ton. I'll admit his usage is down a touch in recent years, so the small increase in assist percentage does say he's passing more, but the increase in turnover percentage easily negates the increase in assist percentage, so he's not a better facilitator.

And when you look at his shooting numbers, he's getting to the basket less and taking more jumpers. He's not an elite 3 point shooter, so the only place Kobe is really an above average offensive player is in that midrange. I'll give him that he is a really good midrange player in comparison to the rest of the league, but its still not a super efficient shot.

His defense numbers like steal percentage and block percentage are down the last few years, indicating that he's a worse defender. Put that all together and forget the name. The scouting report on him basically reads that he's a great midrange scorer who isn't a great defender anymore, takes a lot of shots, isn't a huge threat from 3, and doesn't get to the rim all that often anymore, plus he's played the 3rd most minutes of active nba players, and the two guys ahead of him are 3 and 4 years older than he is and is coming off major leg injuries. I can see why some might rank him as the 40th best player in the league.
good post

40 aint bad considering how little we know about Kobe at this stage.

Chronz
10-17-2014, 01:58 PM

Man ur in for a shocker

MonroeFAN
10-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Wade and Kobe have been pretty close since Wade came in the league idk what you're so upset about but Wade is for sure better than Kobe now.

As for the list I agree with you ESPN is on some **** and disrespected Wade and Kobe but they will both prove them wrong.

Both players are paid about twice the amount they're worth (4x in Kobe's case). That should more than make up for this list, which is very accurate in a lot of people's opinion.

TheIlladelph16
10-17-2014, 02:11 PM

After a 40 point demolition against the Utah Jazz, this is a bit of a funny statement. The Lakers might be a bottom 5 team this season.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-17-2014, 02:33 PM
It's only fair considering he hasn't done anything relevant in 18 months to go along with the fact that the last time we saw him play he was starting to dip a little too.

Might get voted in with the Asian and LA vote lol.

lol ya unless if they put Nash on the ballot instead of Lin.

Sactown
10-17-2014, 02:35 PM
This list may consider more than just is he better than so and so... I mean it could mean would you rather have Kobe for 50 games this season or klay Thompson for 78? They may only see him playing 50 games with injuries and joints flaring up.. that does diminish his value

crewfan13
10-17-2014, 04:00 PM
I guess I'm not exactly sure what the criteria are supposed to be in selecting the players, but my assumption is that it should basically be built upon the idea that you're drafting a team for one year with the goal of winning the championship this year, what order would you select these guys in. I don't know if that's supposed to be the exact criteria, and if that really was the case, I think some owner would take a chance on Kobe before 40, but that doesn't mean the cumulative opinion out there is that there's 39 guys people like better than Kobe in that situation.

WaDe03
10-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Both players are paid about twice the amount they're worth (4x in Kobe's case). That should more than make up for this list, which is very accurate in a lot of people's opinion.

Wades been underpaid his whole career. Depending on how he plays this year hell probably be underpaid again if not oh well he deserve to be overpaid for once for everything he's done for the Heat.

MonroeFAN
10-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Wade blows.

Kobe at least has a chance to redeem himself.

jimm120
10-17-2014, 04:40 PM
If Kobe looked bad last year after coming back from that acl tear, he'll look worse 2 years later after coming back from an ACL tear and a Fracture (or whatever the other injury was).

People gotta understand, NBA player peaks reach until 32 usually. Some can stretch it out to 35 before the real big declines start. Kobe was starting to stretch it out, but got injured when 34. He's now 36. At 36, you're a shell, unless you're Tim Duncan (and even he's fallen a lot).

He'll either be a 15 ppg 4 reb 4 ast with 43% shooting
or
he'll be a 17 ppg 4 reb 5 ast with 45% shooting.

Now ask yourself, is there anyone in the top 39 that will be around this level of production? Then ask yourself if those players carry the following two tags:

-Injury risk (2 major injuries in the past 2 years)
-Age declining production

These two factors, plus production like what he's probably gonna put up is why he's at 40.

hugepatsfan
10-17-2014, 04:45 PM
He's obviously not the player he once was, particularly on defense. That's not a discredit to him or his career. It's just what happens when you age. Fully healthy, he's probably around top 20ish at this point IMO. But with his health such a huge question mark I think it's fair to drop him a little lower. Part of the issue with him is he doesn't seem willing to accept that he's in decline and adjust his game accordingly. I'm afraid we could see Kobe put up some embarrassing efficiency numbers because of that.

WaDe03
10-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Wade blows.

Don't be blinded by your hate.

Crackadalic
10-17-2014, 06:11 PM

:crazy:

MonroeFAN
10-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Wade blows.

Don't be blinded by your hate.

wise words, you're right.

Goose17
10-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Right now I dont see how you could argue against it.

Career wise he's hovering around the top 10. But for this upcoming season, I could probably think of 39 guys I would take over him.

Tony_Starks
10-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Right now I dont see how you could argue against it.

Career wise he's hovering around the top 10. But for this upcoming season, I could probably think of 39 guys I would take over him.

But guys like Rondo are better? He's coming off an injury season where he looked like a shell of himself. The same argument they use against Kobe except Rondo isn't half the player Kobe is but still gets a higher ranking.

Doesn't make sense.

Goose17
10-18-2014, 02:16 AM
But guys like Rondo are better? He's coming off an injury season where he looked like a shell of himself. The same argument they use against Kobe except Rondo isn't half the player Kobe is but still gets a higher ranking.

Doesn't make sense.

Meh. I'm not saying the justification used for other players makes sense I'm just saying I think #40 is about right for Kobe at this specific point in time.

slashsnake
10-18-2014, 04:26 AM

Doesn't make sense.

Well Kobe is 36, Rondo is 28.

Rondo came back from his injury for 30 games and looked a lot like the old Rondo. He was 13-11-6 after his first 6 games back where he started slow, and doing that in just 35 minutes a game.

Kobe came back from his injury, didn't look good, and then had another major injury.

I hope Kobe returns to form or something close to it, but it really wouldn't surprise me one bit if Rondo is the better player this season.

jerellh528
10-18-2014, 10:19 PM
Psd hates Kobe

beasted86
10-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Well... its up to Kobe to prove them wrong. After a rough start to the preseason he's tied together a couple 25+ point games. He will need more of that for the Lakers to have a playoff chance.

IKnowHoops
10-21-2014, 01:56 PM

Doesn't make sense.

I'd take Kobe over Rhondo in a heartbeat.

IKnowHoops
10-21-2014, 02:14 PM
If I have Kobe on my team, I need a guy like Bron or Cris Paul that has his respect and can handle the ball so Kobe can't/won't ball hog. I also need Pop as the coach...a guy who will check Kobe for playing the wrong way. Also I know Pop is a coach Kobe will actually listen to. Those are the only circumstances in which I would want Kobe. He's a great player but he's like a wild horse. He needs to be bridled and saddled or else he is just going to run wild pissing off all who is around him and be a detriment to team success.

albertajaysfan
10-21-2014, 02:57 PM
40 might be a bit off but not by much. I totally believe there are 39 players in the league this year who will have a greater impact on their team success then Kobe will.

Will Kobe put up higher counting stats then some of those guys? Certainly possible even probable.

sixers247
10-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Kobe is like 5th best on his own team. Hoepfully Randle can teach him some things and pass on some wisdom

SHlTINYOURMOUTH
10-21-2014, 03:36 PM
If it is based on what they think he can do then its not too far fetched. If it has any wieght of career than it is way off.

WSU Tony
10-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Any Laker fans who start their response with "when healthy" are completely missing the point of this thread....

albertajaysfan
10-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Kobe is like 5th best on his own team. Hoepfully Randle can teach him some things and pass on some wisdom

Have you even looked at the Lakers roster for the season?

Jamiecballer
10-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Any Laker fans who start their response with "when healthy" are completely missing the point of this thread....

that pretty much sums it up. it's very unlikely that we ever see the Kobe we know again. when you factor that in it's certainly not unreasonable. it could look silly or it could look generous by seasons end. who knows.

Tony_Starks
10-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Abbott today basically said they put him at 40 because they felt 25 was way too high last year and they're pretty much assuming he'll get hurt.

Avenged
10-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Well... its up to Kobe to prove them wrong. After a rough start to the preseason he's tied together a couple 25+ point games. He will need more of that for the Lakers to have a playoff chance.

No chance.

MTar786
10-22-2014, 02:31 PM
If Kobe looked bad last year after coming back from that acl tear, he'll look worse 2 years later after coming back from an ACL tear and a Fracture (or whatever the other injury was).

People gotta understand, NBA player peaks reach until 32 usually. Some can stretch it out to 35 before the real big declines start. Kobe was starting to stretch it out, but got injured when 34. He's now 36. At 36, you're a shell, unless you're Tim Duncan (and even he's fallen a lot).

He'll either be a 15 ppg 4 reb 4 ast with 43% shooting
or
he'll be a 17 ppg 4 reb 5 ast with 45% shooting.

Now ask yourself, is there anyone in the top 39 that will be around this level of production? Then ask yourself if those players carry the following two tags:

-Injury risk (2 major injuries in the past 2 years)
-Age declining production

These two factors, plus production like what he's probably gonna put up is why he's at 40.

care to make a sig bet? or even better yet.. an account bet. i bet you anything kobe averages more than 18.0 ppg on the season. anything under 18.0 and you win. Im even giving u an extra point seeing as u said either 15 or 17 at best.