PDA

View Full Version : PSD's Official #38 Player of All Time

mightybosstone
10-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Voting for #37 has concluded and PSD's Official #37 NBA Player of all time is....

Allen Iverson!!!!!

The List:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Wilt Chamberlain
4. Magic Johnson
5. Shaquille O'neal
6. Tim Duncan
7. Hakeem Olajuwan
8. LeBron James
9. Larry Bird
10. Kobe Bryant
11. Bill Russell
12. Oscar Robertson
13. Moses Malone
14. Jerry West
15. Julius Erving
16. David Robinson
17. Charles Barkley
18. Kevin Garnett
19. Karl Malone
20. Dirk Nowitzki
21. Bob Pettit
22. Dwyane Wade
23. John Havlicek
24. Patrick Ewing
25. Scottie Pippen
26. Elgin Baylor
27. John Stockton
28. Walt Frazier
29. Rick Barry
30. Clyde Drexler
31. Isiah Thomas
32. Willis Reed
33. Kevin Durant
34. Kevin McHale
35. Bill Walton
36. George Gervin
37. Allen Iverson

I think Iverson went way too soon, and it's unfortunate that the last thread wasn't stickied earlier, but I'm going to PM multiple mods for each of these threads from now on to make sure they get stickid ASAP. I thought about re-doing the poll, but if I did that just because a few of us didn't like the results of one particular poll, people would start to question the integrity of these polls.

Iverson may have been insanely efficient, but he was still a damn good player who deserved consideration in the top 50. Now on to No. 38! Everyone please keep voting and posting!

valade16
10-15-2014, 09:15 AM
I think it's high time Gary Payton was taken off the board. Good offensive player and perhaps the best defense by a superstar PG ever, or at least since Frazier.

tredigs
10-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Did 2 votes win the last poll? This thing is getting embarrassing.

KnicksorBust
10-15-2014, 11:08 AM
My only goal this point is making sure Bob Cousy gets put on the Top 50. If his contemporaries like Wilt Chamberlain (#3), Bill Russell (#11), Jerry West (#14), Bob Pettit (#21), and Elgin Baylor (#26) are all on the list then he needs to be there as well.

6 NBA champion (1957, 1959-1963)
NBA Most Valuable Player (1957)
13 All-Star (19511963)
10 All-NBA First Team (19521961)
2 All-NBA Second Team (1962, 1963)
8 NBA assists leader (1953-1960)

Look at that again. He is one of the most decorated stars of ALL-TIME. He was a proven winner and league MVP. His 10 All-NBA 1st Teams rank behind only Kobe Bryant (#10) and Karl Malone(#19) for the most of all-time. He dominated the assist category better than any player in history with the exception of John Stockton (#27). There is a reason when discussing his career you can't help but bring up other all-time greats. It's because he deserves to be in that category and needs to be voted on this list.

mightybosstone
10-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Did 2 votes win the last poll? This thing is getting embarrassing.

Well, it was only stickied at the top of the front page for less than 24 hours. But I'm going to start PMing every mod after I post each poll to make sure it gets stickied as soon as possible. And I believe it was three votes.

mightybosstone
10-15-2014, 02:53 PM
As for this vote, I've got to go with Chris Paul. Payton and Cousy may have played for longer and had a few more career accolades, but Paul is absolutely a better basketball player in his prime than Cousy or Payton ever were in their's.

Honestly, I don't get your l love for Cousy, KOB. Why? Sure, he had amazing career accolades, but he played in an inferior league and he won titles with Red Auerbach, Bill Russell and Sam Jones. Color me unimpressed. Any objective fan would look at Cousy's game film and numbers, compare them to Paul, Nash, Payton and Kidd and pretty easily name them the better basketball players.

Paul is/was also the best PG in the league and a top 5 player for the better part of a decade. And he probably should have won an MVP by now. Except he played in a league that was 10 times as talented and was an excellent defender for his position, unlike Cousy. Hey may have only been in the league nine years, but his resume is pretty ridiculous:

Career 19/10/4/2 averages on .472/.357/.857 averages
Two-year peak of 22/11/5/3
2nd in career AST% (46.5)
3rd in career APG (9.9)
7th in career STL% (3.5)
3rd in career SPG (2.4)
6th in career PER (25.6)
1st in career ORtg (122.4)
4th in career WS/48 (.246)
51st in career WS (115.2)
34th in career OWS (84.8)
61st in career TS% (57.6%)
91st in career PPG (18.6)
7x All-Star
6x All-Defensive (4x 1st team, 2x 2nd team)
6x All-NBA (4x 1st team, 1x 2nd team, 1x 3rd team)

Doing that in any era would be impressive, but to do it in an era with probably the best point guards than at any point in NBA history is especially impressive. He's easily the best all-around player left on the board, and he deserves to go here.

kdspurman
10-15-2014, 04:09 PM
I think it's high time Gary Payton was taken off the board. Good offensive player and perhaps the best defense by a superstar PG ever, or at least since Frazier.

That's who I went with as well

valade16
10-15-2014, 05:40 PM
As for this vote, I've got to go with Chris Paul. Payton and Cousy may have played for longer and had a few more career accolades, but Paul is absolutely a better basketball player in his prime than Cousy or Payton ever were in their's.

I mean, I know it's an inexact comparison but Payton and Paul had very similar teams around them and Payton took his team to the Finals whereas Paul has had numerous early exits from the playoffs.

mngopher35
10-15-2014, 06:13 PM
I really do think this one is close with Payton and CP3. With a little more longevity I will likely choose Paul by the end of his career but he just hasn't quite gotten there yet imo. If I had to choose one of them for a season/game in their prime I'd go Paul though.

mightybosstone
10-15-2014, 06:15 PM
I mean, I know it's an inexact comparison but Payton and Paul had very similar teams around them and Payton took his team to the Finals whereas Paul has had numerous early exits from the playoffs.

Mmm.... Last year was the first season in which you could argue that Paul had a comparable amount of talent around him to Payton. Prior to that, I would have given Kemp a pretty significant edge over Griffin. Plus, they added a lot of depth last year. And, yes, Paul did choke in that Game 5, which the Clipper should have won. Paul definitely deserves some blame for that. But his postseason numbers still absolutely crush Payton's numbers and Paul took teams that had no business being in the playoffs far deeper into the season then they had any right to be.

todu82
10-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Bob Cousy.

mightybosstone
10-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Bob Cousy.

Why even post if you're just going to say the name of the thing you're voting for? I've noticed you doing this in a ton of polls lately, and I don't understand why. I'm not trying to discourage you from voting, but I don't understand how simply posting the thing you're voting for benefits you or anyone else.

Bruno
10-15-2014, 10:42 PM
i'm still high on kidd for reasons I've mentioned in other threads.

what do you guys think about the idea that Jason Kidd is one of maybe one or two point guards who could anchor a defense from the PG position. its unorthodox and by definition impossible in the sense that he's not protecting the basket but when we look at his EC champion NJ teams, they were excellent on D without a single all NBA defense player on the roster. the 2002 and 2003 Nets were first in defensive rating and when I look at the rosters I don't see a single all nba caliber defender other than Kidd. his 2001 suns were 2nd in defensive rating and dropped to 12th the next year without him.

i think kidd helped his teams defensively in ways that guards can't get statistical credit for. although he's 11th all time in defensive win shares despite usually not having elite defenders around him, so maybe it does.

FlashBolt
10-17-2014, 01:19 AM
It was between Kidd and GP for me and the more that I thought about it, it's pretty much: who was the better PG? Give me Kidd.

KnicksorBust
10-17-2014, 11:18 AM

Honestly, I don't get your l love for Cousy, KOB. Why? Sure, he had amazing career accolades, but he played in an inferior league and he won titles with Red Auerbach, Bill Russell and Sam Jones. Color me unimpressed. Any objective fan would look at Cousy's game film and numbers, compare them to Paul, Nash, Payton and Kidd and pretty easily name them the better basketball players.

Paul is/was also the best PG in the league and a top 5 player for the better part of a decade. And he probably should have won an MVP by now. Except he played in a league that was 10 times as talented and was an excellent defender for his position, unlike Cousy. Hey may have only been in the league nine years, but his resume is pretty ridiculous:

Career 19/10/4/2 averages on .472/.357/.857 averages
Two-year peak of 22/11/5/3
2nd in career AST% (46.5)
3rd in career APG (9.9)
7th in career STL% (3.5)
3rd in career SPG (2.4)
6th in career PER (25.6)
1st in career ORtg (122.4)
4th in career WS/48 (.246)
51st in career WS (115.2)
34th in career OWS (84.8)
61st in career TS% (57.6%)
91st in career PPG (18.6)
7x All-Star
6x All-Defensive (4x 1st team, 2x 2nd team)
6x All-NBA (4x 1st team, 1x 2nd team, 1x 3rd team)

Doing that in any era would be impressive, but to do it in an era with probably the best point guards than at any point in NBA history is especially impressive. He's easily the best all-around player left on the board, and he deserves to go here.

To me, when I'm looking at ranking a player on this poll I think of two simple things... Were his teams successful? Was he individually successful (accolades/statistics)? The answer to both of those questions is so overwhelmingly yes for Bob Cousy. Look I've read a lot of books and watched as many old games as I can get my hands on and if I was forced to give an oral history of the NBA from start to modern day then I can say with absolute 100% certainty that I would spend more time talking about Bob Cousy than I would talking about Chris Paul. Right now, Cousy is a historic figure and Chris Paul is just a blurb. That makes a difference. In the overall scheme of professional basketball, Cousy has accomplished so much more and meant so much more to history of the game.

YAALREADYKNO
10-17-2014, 11:20 AM
I'd go with kidd here

numba1CHANGsta
10-24-2014, 04:18 AM
Bill Russell not in the top 5? LeBron over Kobe? I guess championships don't count in this poll LOL might as well have Nash at 1 cuz he's the greatest :)

Chronz
10-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Bill Russell not in the top 5? LeBron over Kobe? I guess championships don't count in this poll LOL might as well have Nash at 1 cuz he's the greatest :)

wats ur top 5 look like, is it in order of champions? No? Then wtf are you *****in about?

YAALREADYKNO
10-24-2014, 11:18 AM

Bill Russell over hakeem? No way