PDA

View Full Version : 44 Minute Games

Goose17
10-14-2014, 12:36 PM
"We have looked at everything that we do and are taking a fresh look at all the different things we do," NBA president of basketball operations Rod Thorn said. "One of the things that keeps coming up is our schedule and the length of our games. Our coaches talked about it, and a lot of them seemed to be in favor of at least taking a look at it. We talked with our competition committee, and they were in favor of taking a look at it."

The NBA will look how a 44-minute game impacts length of the game, player-substitution patterns and flow of the game to determine if there's a better experience.

"Let's get some empirical evidence regarding this and take a fresh look at it," Thorn said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/10/14/nba-44-minute-game-experiment-nets-celtics/17246813/

Thoughts?

mike_noodles
10-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Ewww.

MrfadeawayJB
10-14-2014, 12:49 PM
No thanks

North Yorker
10-14-2014, 12:54 PM
That's almost equivalent to playing 7 less games per season from a minutes standpoint.

If they're worried about players breaking down I'd rather just have a longer ASB to allow players to rest.

hugepatsfan
10-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Arguably the worst suggestion I've ever heard. The NBA is a league where there's no parity because (the vast majority of the time) you need a superstar player to win and there's not many of them. This would only further exaggerate that problem because now that superstar plays a greater percentage of the game. This is just going to further the gap between the best and the worst of the NBA which will only encourage more tanking, something they prioritize getting rid of.

JEDean89
10-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Jesus just shorten the stupidly long season. Do we really need 4 games in 5 nights and 5 games in 7? A 66 game season would do everything they want. 44 minute games punish teams who build for depth and rewards teams like the Cavs who have all their talent in their 5 best players.

Goose17
10-14-2014, 01:06 PM
I would prefer any of these;

A) a shorter season
B) a longer all star break
C) let the players play. Only call fouls when it's blatantly obvious, limit the amount of time outs or shorten them. The stoppages cause the game to last much longer than it needs to.

2-ONE-5
10-14-2014, 01:22 PM
12 minutes is perfect actaully for games. Just give a full week or something for the AS break

Minimal
10-14-2014, 01:29 PM
It should stay the way it was. Less playtime=smaller stats=less achievements and records for player=a little bit unfair. NBA playtime should never change.

THE MTL
10-14-2014, 01:42 PM
The only thing u can do is lengthen the interval between games. Anything less than 82 games or 48mpg would affect the record books which is highly coveted by everyone.

JEDean89
10-14-2014, 02:08 PM
wait so they are actually doing this in a preseason game? ewe....

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11700335/brooklyn-nets-boston-celtics-play-44-minute-preseason-game

Burkey3472
10-14-2014, 02:19 PM
The game flow is fine with how long the games our now, just keep it that way.

gwrighter
10-14-2014, 03:09 PM
If I was a Bulls fan i'd be scared as hell. Imagine Thibs riding his players 44min a night consistently. WOW.

But honestly I get it, they want to shorten games to give players more rest but I don't think it's sending the right incentive. You need to remove actual games instead of just shortening them. Players will just have to play harder in a shorter amount of time so it doesn't really give them any more rest than before.

WSU Tony
10-14-2014, 04:21 PM
They are implementing a 44 minute game to see how it affects the length of the game? Can't we just do some math to figure this out?

archdevil84
10-14-2014, 04:37 PM
they should shorten the time it takes to shoot free throws, take some seconds of timeouts and make the game a little faster. a game is 48 minutes guaranteed basketbal but it usually takes about 2 1/2 hours per game

FlashBolt
10-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Adam Silver's first mistake.

kobe4thewinbang
10-14-2014, 05:05 PM
LOL...the solution is not 4 less minutes per game duration, but less games per season.

IKnowHoops
10-14-2014, 05:09 PM
The only thing u can do is lengthen the interval between games. Anything less than 82 games or 48mpg would affect the record books which is highly coveted by everyone.

I 100% agree with this.

likemystylez
10-14-2014, 09:39 PM

yeah I dont think either will happen for this reason- but extending the season by 3-4 weeks means the players would have less of an offseason. There are a lot of players who start running pick up with their team mates in early september though.... but for guys who do summer league, or team usa stuff- theres really no chance to rest at all with an extended season.

sens#11fan
10-14-2014, 09:57 PM
These guys are athletes and they are making millions of dollars. Making all that money comes with a price, such as missing time with family and friends, relaxing, or just being a normal person. Spacing out the games would give them enough rest. Big time CEOs, Doctors, Actors, etc, are always busy and dont have time to relax or hangout with family and friends. Shortening games or even the season, would make it harder to break records and accolades.

ohreally
10-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Adam Silver's first mistake.

Well, he did nix the alternate idea, playing three quarters

TheNumber37
10-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Less games... OKay. Less playing time? no.

The Record books have enough asterisks as it is.

steelcityroller
10-14-2014, 10:50 PM
12 minutes is perfect actaully for games. Just give a full week or something for the AS break

Agreed. Just make a longer All-Star Break and possibly even put another short break somewhere in there as well.

goingfor28
10-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Dumb

bleedprple&gold
10-15-2014, 02:40 AM
God I hope this doesn't happen simply because of the obnoxious debates it will start on PSD. Well X player is better than Y player because X player put up those stats in the 44-minute game era while Y player required 48 minute games to put up his stats. I can just see it now...

slashsnake
10-15-2014, 05:59 AM
I will pass on this idea. You want to speed up the game, cut the shot clock to 20 seconds or something instead.

AddiX
10-15-2014, 08:37 AM
I'm fine w this, 90% of these teams don't even start playing hard until the 2nd half.

The season + playoffs is too long, I'm tired of watching teams and players look exhausted by the time playoffs start.

The length of the season is completely pointless. The alternative is stars will sit games.

North Yorker
10-15-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm fine w this, 90% of these teams don't even start playing hard until the 2nd half.

The season + playoffs is too long, I'm tired of watching teams and players look exhausted by the time playoffs start.

The length of the season is completely pointless. The alternative is stars will sit games.

Will the star players even benefit from this though?

If Lebron is a 38-39 minute per game player, and games are cut to 44 mins and I'm his coach, I'm not cutting his minutes, I'm cutting his back-up's minutes.

I don't see this as the answer. Just have a longer ASB or less back to backs during the season. Cut out 1 or 2 pre-season games, lengthen the reg. season by a week or so, and go from there.

Sly Guy
10-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Arguably the worst suggestion I've ever heard. The NBA is a league where there's no parity because (the vast majority of the time) you need a superstar player to win and there's not many of them. This would only further exaggerate that problem because now that superstar plays a greater percentage of the game. This is just going to further the gap between the best and the worst of the NBA which will only encourage more tanking, something they prioritize getting rid of.

Agreed. If you're worried about the wear and tear on the players' bodies, playing fewer games would be a better option than playing fewer minutes per.

But even at that, the #1 thing I'd like to see (my opinion of what would help solve the problem) is to just eliminate back to backs.

MrfadeawayJB
10-15-2014, 12:06 PM
If injuries are a concern, manage minutes better

2-ONE-5
10-15-2014, 12:42 PM
These guys are athletes and they are making millions of dollars. Making all that money comes with a price, such as missing time with family and friends, relaxing, or just being a normal person. Spacing out the games would give them enough rest. Big time CEOs, Doctors, Actors, etc, are always busy and dont have time to relax or hangout with family and friends. Shortening games or even the season, would make it harder to break records and accolades.

none of that is true nor is it comparable to an NBA schedule.

NYCkid12
10-15-2014, 12:50 PM
If injuries are a concern, manage minutes better

this is how I feel, instead of eliminating 4 mins from the game, just give those 4 mins to your bench players....

I mean we are talking about 4 mins here, I don't think its going to affect players stamina that much, your star players most likely wont even be affected by it....the bench players will likely lose playing time, not the stars

todu82
10-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah, keep the games at 48 minutes but reduce the season length to 74 games.

True Sports Fan
10-15-2014, 08:23 PM
I don't think this would impact much regarding to players breaking down. The stars will still play nearly the whole game. Just means lower end rotation players will get less playing time.

FlashBolt
10-15-2014, 11:02 PM
NBA players are freaking annoying as hell when they complain. I get that they want their fair share of the money but they need to realize that they are employees and they have a boss. Without those bosses, these NBA players would be nothing but humans with talent. I reckon, NBA will lose money shortening games. Attendances won't be as high, revenues will cut, and with less games, that means higher ticket prices. This is just a joke. They get paid a salary so of course they don't care about shortening games. Pay them per game and let's see how many of them are willing to shorten the season. Just bad for the game.. Stick to 48 minutes and 82 games and stop crying. You're playing basketball for Christ's sake. You have an entire team that caters to your demand(s) such as food, rehab, gym, etc,. It's not that hard.

Minimal
10-16-2014, 05:53 AM
Reducing game amounts is not good, record books wil cry also, most points in career will never be broken as a lot of other records. 82 games+playoffs is a little bit too much, but this guys are getting paid millions, remember that. Want less games and less playing time? Sign a big contract in the Euroleague. Everyone has a job, and I work like 250 days a year, 9 hours everyday. Do I complain about not seeing a family or friends? This guys have a couple of workouts, a 2 hour game every 2nd day, a lot of day offs, and a half a year vacation time, they are getting millions, they have their own chefs, accountants, home workers, drivers (ffs some of them have their own planes and helicopters), who do the most of their jobs outside of the court, and they complain?

effen5
10-16-2014, 12:03 PM
They should call this era SOFT

PurpleLynch
10-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Absolutely no. Less timeouts and longer AS break. That's what they should do.