PDA

View Full Version : KD out 6-8 weeks

Stunner
10-12-2014, 11:02 AM
@SpearsNBAYahoo: The Thunder say Kevin Durant has a Jones fracture in his right foot that requires surgery and he is expected to be out 6-8 weeks.

Deception
10-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Out 6-8 weeks per CBSSports

xxplayerxx23
10-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Don't have the link on my phone, he fractured his foot .

Stunner
10-12-2014, 11:05 AM
@suntimes_hoops: Russell Westbrook quietly laughs, as he pulls the needle out of the KD voodoo doll .... "This team is mine ... all mine .....''

Stunner
10-12-2014, 11:06 AM
@SpearsNBAYahoo: Kevin Durant made the Thunder aware of his right foot discomfort after practice yesterday & they performed imagining studies to find injury.

NYSpirit1
10-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Wowww... The Thunder ain't going to be that good for the first 6 weeks or so.

spreadeagle
I took him #1 in my draft...im gunna puke

Arch Stanton
Yikes! That sucks. But at least it's early enough so he won't miss too much of the season.

tredigs
10-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Yeah, expected to miss a little under 2 months, so somewhere around a month of action? Kind of cool, actually. We'll get to see Westbrook as a true #1 for an extended period for the first time, and Durant might be a little more spry come post-season. I think Westbrook's extended time off last year paid dividends for his playoff play last season; KD looked to be tiring out a bit and Westbrook was peaking.

Stunner
10-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Yikes! That sucks. But at least it's early enough so he won't miss too much of the season.

2 months in the west ?

Cal827
10-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Well, looks like OKC isn't making the playoffs this year.

KobeOwnSU
10-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Shouldn't have quit on Team USA, karma is a ***** KD.

tredigs
10-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Looks like there's multiple threads on this, but my thoughts are that this is kind of cool.

Ha. They're still a top 4 seed, probably top 2; That's still a +.500 team with Westbrook/Ibaka/Jackson getting more offensive looks. Hopefully they pull the plug on Perkins and finally start Adams, though.
We'll get to see Westbrook as a true #1 for an extended period for the first time and we'll get to see a more spry KD for the post-season.

beasted86
10-12-2014, 11:26 AM
They will miss Sefaloshas defense with Durant out. I've never been impressed with Lamb on either end.

goingfor28
10-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Ouch

FlashBolt
10-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Damn.. this is going to suck for us. He's not going to be himself for a good 10 weeks -.-

Stunner
10-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Lmao RT @MySportsLegion: Russell Westbrook played a total of 41 minutes without Durant last season. Attempted 35 shots in that time. Wow.

NYKnickFanatic
10-12-2014, 11:49 AM
I don't expect the Thunder to miss a beat. I have a feeling Westbrook is going to step up and show how much of a legit superstar he is.

http://hotmeme.net/media/i/c/0/mjH-russell-westbrook-you-re-the-real-mvp.jpg

tredigs
10-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Lmao RT @MySportsLegion: Russell Westbrook played a total of 41 minutes without Durant last season. Attempted 35 shots in that time. Wow.

He only played 41 minutes without KD? That seems impossible.

FlashBolt
10-12-2014, 11:55 AM
>.<, of course we are making it to the playoffs. KD is only missing a good 8 weeks-10 weeks to be himself. We're going to be a 3rd seed, though... Probably a 20-10 record without KD. Man, it's going to suck.. but I have faith in WB. It is a good time to also see how our role players are going to be. Jeremy Lamb/Reggie Jackson are going to have to play really hard for us to score.

Crackadalic
10-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Damn that sucks. Westbrook will pull a kobe and average 35 though

Cal827
10-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Lol ok, I probably should have made it clear that I was being sarcastic about them missing the playoffs, but they might have some big issues being in the top 3. The west is a lot tougher than the Eastern conference. There were some teams like the Grizzlies and Spurs, that could've beaten them With Durant, now can focus on only Westbrook. I'd be worried that Westbrook might hurt himself being the sole option, and with teams focusing in on them. They're going to need someone else to step it up, or they might end up as a lower seed in the West.

Westbrook might get a ton per game, but on how many shots.... and would he be willing to change the team Dynamic once KD returns?

xbrackattackx
10-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Bummer, I love Durant and even took him with the Number two pick in my Fanasty League. He's a good guy and a Iron Man so hopefully he will be back in ten weeks and kill the rest of the season. Just sucks it happens to a good dude and not some D-bag like Raymond Felton,Perkins or some other guy who doesn't take advantage of the awesome job he has.

xbrackattackx
10-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Lol ok, I probably should have made it clear that I was being sarcastic about them missing the playoffs, but they might have some big issues being in the top 3. The west is a lot tougher than the Eastern conference. There were some teams like the Grizzlies and Spurs, that could've beaten them With Durant, now can focus on only Westbrook. I'd be worried that Westbrook might hurt himself being the sole option, and with teams focusing in on them. They're going to need someone else to step it up, or they might end up as a lower seed in the West.

Westbrook might get a ton per game, but on how many shots.... and would he be willing to change the team Dynamic once KD returns?

Yea if Adams,Lamb and Jackson don't step up that's alot for Westbrook and Iblocka to make up.

InRoseWeTrust
10-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Westbrook will step up, imo. He's severely underrated by most people.

xbrackattackx
10-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Looks like there's multiple threads on this, but my thoughts are that this is kind of cool.

Ha. They're still a top 4 seed, probably top 2; That's still a +.500 team with Westbrook/Ibaka/Jackson getting more offensive looks. Hopefully they pull the plug on Perkins and finally start Adams, though.
We'll get to see Westbrook as a true #1 for an extended period for the first time and we'll get to see a more spry KD for the post-season.

No one getting Injured is ever cool! That's like saying it would be cool if Curry got Injured and we could see what Thompson did alone.

torocan
10-12-2014, 12:23 PM
>.<, of course we are making it to the playoffs. KD is only missing a good 8 weeks-10 weeks to be himself. We're going to be a 3rd seed, though... Probably a 20-10 record without KD. Man, it's going to suck.. but I have faith in WB. It is a good time to also see how our role players are going to be. Jeremy Lamb/Reggie Jackson are going to have to play really hard for us to score.

OKC will still likely be in the play offs, however OKC is now facing the situation where it is conceivable to miss the play offs. Last year OKC won 59 games for the 2nd seed. The #9 seed won 49 games. In other words, 10 fewer wins and OKC is going fishing instead of having home court advantage until the finals.

Losing KD in and of itself probably isn't enough to take them out of the play offs, however any additional injuries could make it a dodgy proposition in the West.

tredigs
10-12-2014, 12:27 PM

For sure. I mean it's not a wild statement to say they won't make the playoffs if you think about it. It takes close to 50 wins to make the Western playoffs right now compared to 35-38 in the East. If for some reason they could not sustain +.500 ball for the first 18 or so games he'll miss, then it's possible they would miss the post-season. But, I think they still win the majority of their games and finish with 53+ wins and HCA.

Teeboy1487
10-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Time to see what Westbrook is made up as a number 1 option.

tredigs
10-12-2014, 01:22 PM
No one getting Injured is ever cool! That's like saying it would be cool if Curry got Injured and we could see what Thompson did alone.

Oh shut up hippy. He'll be fine. I'm just saying that it presents a unique situation that we've never seen before with Westbrook and OKC. Should be fun to watch.

DallasTrilla23
10-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Russell might finally win the scoring title.

jaydubb
10-12-2014, 01:25 PM
I think Westbrook will step up.. I really like that kid, I think he will solidify himself as a legit superstar in this league with KD out..

Corey
10-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Westbrook for MVP this year.

FlashBolt
10-12-2014, 01:44 PM
OKC will still likely be in the play offs, however OKC is now facing the situation where it is conceivable to miss the play offs. Last year OKC won 59 games for the 2nd seed. The #9 seed won 49 games. In other words, 10 fewer wins and OKC is going fishing instead of having home court advantage until the finals.

Losing KD in and of itself probably isn't enough to take them out of the play offs, however any additional injuries could make it a dodgy proposition in the West.

Yeah, but you're completely counting out Westbrook, Ibaka, Adams, and a young roster who I think needed an opportunity. Lamb can be a 10 point scorer, Jackson is offensive minded, I have faith that Westbrook will excel despite him going rambo, and Steven Adams has been nothing but a steal. He's going to be playing big time minutes for us. I think we're fine. It's estimated that he'll be out for 6-8 weeks, which is in reality, only 3-5 weeks considering NBA doesn't start yet. That's about 15 games MAX but of course, we still have to wait for KD to get back into NBA form. A 20-10 record for their first 30 games isn't too BAD and that's being extremely negative.

Goose17
10-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Westbrook is about to go full blown Iverson mode.

FlashBolt
10-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Westbrook is going to go 25/8/7.

Iron24th
10-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Westy will average 30+ shots per game.

torocan
10-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah, but you're completely counting out Westbrook, Ibaka, Adams, and a young roster who I think needed an opportunity. Lamb can be a 10 point scorer, Jackson is offensive minded, I have faith that Westbrook will excel despite him going rambo, and Steven Adams has been nothing but a steal. He's going to be playing big time minutes for us. I think we're fine. It's estimated that he'll be out for 6-8 weeks, which is in reality, only 3-5 weeks considering NBA doesn't start yet. That's about 15 games MAX but of course, we still have to wait for KD to get back into NBA form. A 20-10 record for their first 30 games isn't too BAD and that's being extremely negative.

I don't think it will hurt OKC that badly, however we also have to consider that it's hard to judge the exact impact of KD's absence in terms of how good/bad OKC will be while he's out.

Westbrook can score well, however without KD on the floor he's going to get all the defensive attention. If I'm an opposing coach, my main goal is either to shut down Westbrook completely and force the rest of the team to beat them, or leave him covered 1 on 1 and shut down the rest of the team. IE, make Westbrook beat them.

Let's also not forget that the absence of KD creates a massive gap at his position. Not only are you talking about a 2nd unit player taking his minutes (huge drop off), but a 3rd string player or player being out of position on the 2nd unit to pick up the slack offensively and defensively.

The main concern I would have if I was an OKC fan is that Scott Brooks wasn't exactly rolling out a top tier offensive scheme over the previous few years. Just looking at last season's regular season plus last season's play offs, it's not hard to imagine a scenario where the drop off is more significant than one might think.

Aside from KD's point output (which is significant), the biggest impact on OKC will be the decoy value of Durant. Westbrook is often allowed to operate with near impunity since most teams are primarily concerned with slowing down KD. Without that escape valve, this will put a large amount of pressure on Westbrook to not only score, but to be a more effective play maker.

At this point it's hard to judge exactly how sever that impact will be over the start of the season, however I wouldn't be shocked if the drop off is more than some people are anticipating. On the other hand, I think it's more likely that they do fine and only end up 3-4 games behind where they would like to be... IE, struggling for HCA but nowhere near out of the play offs.

Still, the Scott Brooks and roster depth issues are significant. While not a guarantee that OKC has serious struggles to start the season, I think the risk of problems are real. When Westbrook was out KD basically had to have a MVP level season to keep OKC afloat at the top of the rankings. Can Westbrook do the same? I'm not so sure...

likemystylez
10-12-2014, 04:08 PM
this is when you find out if scott brooks can coach- its easy to win games when you have the mvp- can you win at the same rate no matter whos on the floor like the spurs seem to be able to do.

MrfadeawayJB
10-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Players who have had this injury often re-aggrevate it and need a second surgery

Alayla
10-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Alot of people setting Westbrook up to fail here one person can not be expected to carry a team definitely not one person who happens to be in the western conference AND playing at the most stacked position in the NBA.
Westbrook is the 2nd best pg in the NBA and a downright gifted scorer. But lets not talk like this is all on his shoulders the whole TEAM needs to step up for these games.

likemystylez
10-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Players who have had this injury often re-aggrevate it and need a second surgery

a second surgery??- durant isnt even scheduled to have a first surgery yet.

likemystylez
10-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Alot of people setting Westbrook up to fail here one person can not be expected to carry a team definitely not one person who happens to be in the western conference AND playing at the most stacked position in the NBA.
Westbrook is the 2nd best pg in the NBA and a downright gifted scorer. But lets not talk like this is all on his shoulders the whole TEAM needs to step up for these games.

didnt durant do it last year when westbrook was out all of those games? and didnt blake griffin do it when chris paul was out... and hasnt steph curry been doing it for like 3 yrs straight in golden state?

Shady66
10-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Shouldn't have quit on Team USA, karma is a ***** KD.
Lmao

mrblisterdundee
10-12-2014, 05:23 PM

They'll still make the playoffs, although it's a lot more likely that they'll be in one of the bottom four seeds. It'll all depend on how much of a monster Russell Westbrook is and how quickly Kevin Durant comes back to form.

dalton749
10-12-2014, 05:30 PM
can star players please stay healthy for a season so we can see some good basketball

5ass
10-12-2014, 05:48 PM
West will step up big time, and prove to be arguably the best guard in the game.

todu82
10-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Yeah, this won't end their year. Durant's going to be back by mid december.

FlashBolt
10-12-2014, 06:42 PM
He's not even gone for that long.. This isn't a season-ending injury. He'll be back just in time for Christmas and hopefully can contain the team for now.. If not, Durant is going to have to go beast mode the entire season. Stop acting like we're a .500 team without KD! Westbrook is a top 10-15 player and Ibaka is still a top 10 PF!

xbrackattackx
10-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Oh shut up hippy. He'll be fine. I'm just saying that it presents a unique situation that we've never seen before with Westbrook and OKC. Should be fun to watch.

Hippy, I am not dude. Don't be a ignorant fool. And your explanation was not needed. You said it, not me put Seth Curry back in your mouth. Swallow his gravy and logout of PSD. It's better for us all.

likemystylez
10-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Yeah, this won't end their year. Durant's going to be back by mid december.

the problem is with the west so tough they might drop to the 5th or 6th seed because they wont get those games back the first few months and the top 6 or 7 teams are going to be 50+ win teams soif they go like 14-11 when he is out- and he wont be 100% for a couple weeks even then- its gonna be hard to catch up- cuz those other teams arent just gonna start losing.

likemystylez
10-12-2014, 07:02 PM
West will step up big time, and prove to be arguably the best guard in the game.

I actually think ibaka is going to have to be a secondary threat on the offensive end- but yeah westbrook will have to be their go to guy down the stretch

torocan
10-12-2014, 07:20 PM
He's not even gone for that long.. This isn't a season-ending injury. He'll be back just in time for Christmas and hopefully can contain the team for now.. If not, Durant is going to have to go beast mode the entire season. Stop acting like we're a .500 team without KD! Westbrook is a top 10-15 player and Ibaka is still a top 10 PF!

.500 team? No.

Are they a 59 win team without KD? That's what got OKC the #2 seed last year.
Are they a 54 win team without KD? That tied Houston and GSW for the 4th and 5th seed.
Are they a 50 win team? That's what got Dallas the #8 seed.

The problem is that the West is brutal. Teams that would be the #3 seed in the East struggle just to get into the play offs in the West.

Drop 5 games and OKC loses HCA. Any more than that and they're on the bubble.

Losing KD 4-5 weeks at the start of the season, miss the rest of training camp, plus time to take off the rust isn't trivial in the West. In the East they'd still be cruising to a top 3 seed. However, OKC isn't in the East is it?

FraziersKnicks
10-12-2014, 07:20 PM
This means the MVP is LeBron's to lose now. Other than Bill Walton who played 58 games when he won MVP, no one has ever played less than 70 games and won it (not including the lockout seasons).

The story is a good one for LeBron if he leads the Cavs to the best record in the East as well.

Who else could challenge him? Maybe CP3 finally gets that MVP he deserved in 2008-09? Maybe Anthony Davis leads the Pelicans to a top 3 record in the West and wins it (bearing in mind no player has ever won MVP if their team isn't top 3 in their conference or something like that). Blake? Melo? Curry?

InRoseWeTrust
10-12-2014, 07:40 PM
This means the MVP is LeBron's to lose now. Other than Bill Walton who played 58 games when he won MVP, no one has ever played less than 70 games and won it (not including the lockout seasons).

The story is a good one for LeBron if he leads the Cavs to the best record in the East as well.

Who else could challenge him? Maybe CP3 finally gets that MVP he deserved in 2008-09? Maybe Anthony Davis leads the Pelicans to a top 3 record in the West and wins it (bearing in mind no player has ever won MVP if their team isn't top 3 in their conference or something like that). Blake? Melo? Curry?

If LAC can win the West in the regular season, I could see it going to CP3. AD could definitely get momentum if NO gets a solid playoff spot, which will obviously be really tough. As unfair as it may be, LeBron fatigue may still exist.

And who knows....maybe Rose?!?! :up:

FlashBolt
10-12-2014, 07:42 PM
.500 team? No.

Are they a 59 win team without KD? That's what got OKC the #2 seed last year.
Are they a 54 win team without KD? That tied Houston and GSW for the 4th and 5th seed.
Are they a 50 win team? That's what got Dallas the #8 seed.

The problem is that the West is brutal. Teams that would be the #3 seed in the East struggle just to get into the play offs in the West.

Drop 5 games and OKC loses HCA. Any more than that and they're on the bubble.

Losing KD 4-5 weeks at the start of the season, miss the rest of training camp, plus time to take off the rust isn't trivial in the West. In the East they'd still be cruising to a top 3 seed. However, OKC isn't in the East is it?

What makes you think we won't be a 50% team? That's like saying we're going to be 8-8 when KD comes back.. Are you kidding me?

What does 59, 54, and 50 wins have anything to do with what's going on? You essentially typed all that for no reason because missing 4-5 weeks is nothing. He'll have some rust but KD at 80% is still good enough to win games..

Jarvo
10-12-2014, 08:46 PM
They still have Westbrook, They'll be alrite.

mightybosstone
10-12-2014, 10:23 PM
I haven't seen anyone actually do this yet, but instead of talking about where the Thunder may or may not place or Westbrook will do, how about taking a look at the actual calendar and schedule to see how this could impact their record?

Assuming he misses exactly six weeks from today, he would miss the first 15 games of the season (though Nov. 23), which look something like this:
@ Portland
@ LAC
Denver
@ Brooklyn
@ Toronto
Memphis
Sacramento
@ Milwaukee
@ Boston
Detroit
Houston
@ Utah
@ Denver
Brooklyn
Golden State

That's a fairly tough schedule to start the year. Eight of the games are on the road, eight of them are against playoff teams from last season and five are specifically against playoff teams in the Western Conference. That first five game stretch is especially brutal, with four of five on the road against playoff teams. It's totally reasonable they could start the season at less than .500 with these 15 games.

How, if he were to miss eight weeks, it would stretch through Nov. 7, or another five games. But this schedule is pretty damn soft.

Utah
New York
@ New Orleans
@ Philadelphia
@ Detroit

So that's 20 games overall with 11 on the road and still only eight against playoff teams from last season. It's by no means an easy schedule, but it could be worse. After that rough five-game stretch to start the season, things get considerably easier. If they can hover around .500 and go 10-10 over those first 20 games, it's not unreasonable that they could go something like 45-17 and win 55 games on the season.

45-17 is a 73% winning percentage. OKC finished last season with a 72% overall win percentage, so 55 wins and a top 5 seed still seems well within reason.

THE MTL
10-12-2014, 10:38 PM

I think someone new will be the MVP

DemarDerozan
10-13-2014, 02:27 AM
2 months in the west ?

Season starts in three. All he needs is 4 weeks in a hard sole shoe and two weeks do physical therapy and he'll be close to 100%. I predict he suits up third week of November. The first 2-3 weeks don't matter much anyhow and a lot can change. Last year didn't Philly start out 4-0, LMA was the front runner for MVP for the first few weeks as well. It's a long season. If Westy and Ibaka can keep them hovering around .500 they could still win the West.

DemarDerozan
10-13-2014, 02:31 AM

It's nondisplaced which means its a clean break. He'll be fine.

Goose17
10-13-2014, 02:58 AM
Everyone should be picking up Reggie for their fantasy teams now.

I can't wait to see how many FGAs Westbrook has per game. 30? 40? LOL, this will be fun to watch.

amos1er
10-13-2014, 05:30 AM
Sucks for KD... I just broke my foot about a month ago and it is a complete pain in the ***. I needed to get two screws surgically implanted because my Lisfranc was involved. I was given 6-8 weeks too. Based on the **** that happened to me, no way is he going to be back to 100% for a while. Sucks for KD... He was making such great progress too and was the best player in the NBA IMO.

P&GRealist
10-13-2014, 06:34 AM

Melo

MrfadeawayJB
10-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Some of y'all are underestimating this injury

http://hoopshype.com/videos/usatoday/here-is-the-impact-of-durants-devastating-injury

He may be back 6-8 weeks, in a best case scenario. We have to see how his body reacts to injury he has never dealt with it before

archdevil84
10-13-2014, 10:31 AM

who?

FlashBolt
10-13-2014, 10:41 AM
I don't think LeBron will be MVP this year. He's too nonchalant about his position right now.

D-Leethal
10-13-2014, 12:02 PM
I am pretty excited to see what Westbrook looks like as a true #1. I always thought he had MVP-Rose ability as a #1.

jerellh528
10-13-2014, 12:05 PM
blake griffin for mvp

72 Wins
10-13-2014, 01:03 PM
I am pretty excited to see what Westbrook looks like as a true #1. I always thought he had MVP-Rose ability as a #1.

It could also potentially be a disaster.

D-Leethal
10-13-2014, 02:01 PM
It could also potentially be a disaster.

So could a lot of things. I don't think it will.

TheNumber37
10-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Westbrook will be 26,7 and 8 without him

sixers247
10-13-2014, 03:26 PM

So the exact same as last year???

kobe4thewinbang
10-13-2014, 06:51 PM
So many injuries already...

Goose17
10-13-2014, 06:56 PM

26 FGAs per half, 7 assists and 8 turnovers? You're probably about right.

0nekhmer
10-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Unless scott brooks has a offensive genius behind him, i don't see these guys winning a lot. Last season , Westbrook was #1 in usage rate.. KD a close second. All they did was take turns isoing and occasionally running plays to.. Iso.. Who knows, maybe Durant off the court will force them to run plays, and actually play as a team to succeed.