PDA

View Full Version : PSD's Official #36 Player of All Time

mightybosstone
10-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Voting for #35 has concluded and PSD's Official #35 NBA Player of all time is....

Bill Walton!!!!

The List:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Wilt Chamberlain
4. Magic Johnson
5. Shaquille O'neal
6. Tim Duncan
7. Hakeem Olajuwan
8. LeBron James
9. Larry Bird
10. Kobe Bryant
11. Bill Russell
12. Oscar Robertson
13. Moses Malone
14. Jerry West
15. Julius Erving
16. David Robinson
17. Charles Barkley
18. Kevin Garnett
19. Karl Malone
20. Dirk Nowitzki
21. Bob Pettit
22. Dwyane Wade
23. John Havlicek
24. Patrick Ewing
25. Scottie Pippen
26. Elgin Baylor
27. John Stockton
28. Walt Frazier
29. Rick Barry
30. Clyde Drexler
31. Isiah Thomas
32. Willis Reed
33. Kevin Durant
34. Kevin McHale
35. Bill Walton

As I mentioned in the last thread, I'm cutting the time for these threads to 48 hours to try and finish this before the season starts and to encourage more activity. Keep voting and keep debating, guys!

mightybosstone
10-09-2014, 05:12 PM
This one is going to be a really, really tough vote. I think you could make a really strong case for like 6-8 different guys and pretty much all of them are wings or point guards. I could feasibly see the rest of the top 50 being only wings and point guards.

For me, it's probably going to be between Chris Paul, Steve Nash and George Gervin. But I'd like to see some debate first before making my vote.

abe_froman
10-09-2014, 05:22 PM
sticking with pierce.never great,but always really good ,and has the champ pedigree,accolades and longevity stats to justify

mightybosstone
10-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Oh... And as always, MODS PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD!!!!!

todu82
10-09-2014, 06:36 PM
George Gervin.

tredigs
10-10-2014, 12:58 AM
I'd simply be unwilling to vote a player top 40 All Time who hasn't even played 10 seasons while not willing his team to their own conference finals. Looking at CP3. If you're a top 1-2 player at your position in NBA history at their peak (as many here argue for him), then that is an unacceptable level of team success given the quality of teammates he has had the past few seasons.

Laidback_Scrapp
10-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Elvin Hayes or Gervin

SLY WILLIAMS
10-10-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm happy for my man Bill Walton to get some respect but he only played 2-3 real NBA seasons. How did he get that vote? :D

I will go with Dominque here. He basically carried his Hawks teams in to his losing battles with Bird and MJ.

mightybosstone
10-10-2014, 06:14 PM
I'd simply be unwilling to vote a player top 40 All Time who hasn't even played 10 seasons while not willing his team to their own conference finals. Looking at CP3. If you're a top 1-2 player at your position in NBA history at their peak (as many here argue for him), then that is an unacceptable level of team success given the quality of teammates he has had the past few seasons.
Then who is your vote here? Because McGrady and Wilkins never got to the conference finals either. And Gervin did, but it was in a league with fewer teams in the playoffs, so he still never got past the second round. If getting to far in the playoffs is your only barometer for judging players, you're going to exclude a lot of really good players here.

tredigs
10-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Then who is your vote here? Because McGrady and Wilkins never got to the conference finals either. And Gervin did, but it was in a league with fewer teams in the playoffs, so he still never got past the second round. If getting to far in the playoffs is your only barometer for judging players, you're going to exclude a lot of really good players here.

Definitely would not go McGrady/Wilkins or Gervin. It's between one of the two elite two-way bigs; Gilmore or Hayes.

mightybosstone
10-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Thought about it for a while and I don't see a clear cut choice here. But Gervin seems to be the favorite of the masses at this point, and he was one of the three guys I was looking at. He's clearly the best pure scorer left on the list and he's definitely deserving to go here, so he's my pick.

I will for sure be going with Paul and Nash for a while until they get voted in now, though. I just think they're both better basketball players than Wilkins and McGrady, and I certainly think they're better than any of the bigs left on the board.

tredigs
10-11-2014, 01:20 AM
It's ironic that two-way bigs were so fawned upon at the onset of this thing, but now that people don't know who these guys are -- go scorerz!

Chronz
10-11-2014, 01:54 AM
Definitely would not go McGrady/Wilkins or Gervin. It's between one of the two elite two-way bigs; Gilmore or Hayes.

Yuck, I'd take Tmac over both of them easily. Not seeing what makes those guys elite on both ends.

tredigs
10-11-2014, 09:29 AM
Yuck, I'd take Tmac over both of them easily. Not seeing what makes those guys elite on both ends.

? Artis is the most efficient scorer in league history and averaged over 20 ppg in his first ~10 seasons. He was an incredible defender; the best in ABA history and always ABA 1st team D + overall (starting/peaking there does not help his rep overall unfortunately).

mightybosstone
10-11-2014, 09:49 AM
? Artis is the most efficient scorer in league history and averaged over 20 ppg in his first ~10 seasons. He was an incredible defender; the best in ABA history and always ABA 1st team D + overall (starting/peaking there does not help his rep overall unfortunately).

Exactly. He peaked in the ABA, and then never put up those kinds of number or defensive accolades again in the NBA. He did have one of the most ridiculous five-year stretches in terms of scoring efficiency that i've ever seen from 81-85, where his TS% was between 67-70%. But he was pretty much just an 18/10 guy at that point. And he never had the kind of defensive impact in the NBA that he had in the ABA.

I probably won't vote for Gilmore in the top 50, but I do think he's a borderline top 50 guy. But whoever nominated him nominated him WAY too early. He's been on the list since at least the mid 20s.

Chronz
10-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Gilmore is probably the one you could make the best argument for, just unreal efficiency, but when you say elite on both ends, that means we attribute more to the offensive side than just scoring efficiency+scoring rate and technically speaking, Reggie Miller was more efficient offensively.

As for his defense, Im sure lots of athletes were better defenders in the ABA, Doc averaged something like 15 rebounds at one point. Artis is considered the strongest player of his era, so in terms of post defense I have no doubt he was more than serviceable. Its just from everything I've gathered on him, I get the feeling his defense peaked early. His career seemed to have been one of disappointment, guys were expecting him to be the next great big but he was never the guy who could carry an offense or anchor the defense, certainly not simultaneously. His defense never really altered the teams he joined/left behind and his scoring efficiency came in the years where he posted sub 20% usage rates. So in terms of volume, he doesn't bring the same kind of relief guys like Hakeem/Shaq did.

I picture Artis the way I would an incredibly strong Tyson Chandler, great complimentary star. And to me, he had 1 year (2 tops) where he was an elite defender in the NBA and it certainly wasn't all that efficient.

latinofire21
10-13-2014, 07:52 AM
wow Wade landed 22. Hes higher on the list then Pippen. SMH Really overrated.

YAALREADYKNO
10-13-2014, 10:35 AM
wow Wade landed 22. Hes higher on the list then Pippen. SMH Really overrated.

He's better than pippen tho