PDA

View Full Version : Take your top five picks in the 1996 NBA draft

mrblisterdundee
10-09-2014, 04:36 PM
I hadn't seen another iteration of the redraft threads in while, so I'm making my own. The 1996 draft was pretty stacked. While the top pick, Allen Iverson, wasn't a bad pick, he maybe wasn't the best choice in hindsight. Other notables are Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Ray Allen, Jermaine O'Neal, Marcus Camby, Stephon Marbury, Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Peja Stojakovic.
Who would you take with your top five picks in 1996?
Here are my picks:

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Allen Iverson
3. Steve Nash
4. Ray Allen
5. Jermaine O'Neal

abe_froman
10-09-2014, 04:38 PM
kobe(easy)
nash
allen
ai
peja/o'neal

Slug3
10-09-2014, 04:39 PM
depending on what type of offense you want, you could switch around Iverson and Nash.

Ebbs
10-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Kobe
Nash
Ray Allen
Allen Iverson
Jermain O'Neal

xbrackattackx
10-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Kobe
Nash
Allen
AI
Oneal
Peja
Camby
Big Z
Shareef
Marbury
Kittles
Walker
Fisher

Would be my lottery.

mike_noodles
10-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Wow, there could be 6-7 HOF players in that group. Pretty crazy. 4 are no brainers.

mightybosstone
10-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Kobe
Nash
Ray Allen
Allen Iverson
Jermain O'Neal

This.

However, even though I'd probably rather have Allen and I think he may have been the better player throughout his career, I could see a very strong case for Iverson being third. Not only was he more popular with the fans, but he was instant offense and could carry a team offensively when nobody else could score. I love Ray, but the guy was never quite the pure scorer that Iverson was.

todu82
10-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Bryant
Nash
Iverson
Allen
O'neal

Tony_Starks
10-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Kobe
AI
Oneal
Nash
Marbury

MickeyMgl
10-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Waiting for somebody to inevitably post a list without Kobe on top so we can get this discussion started.

Come on, <unknown troll>. You know you want to.

JasonJohnHorn
10-09-2014, 09:25 PM
I'd want a team with strong chemistry, so AI is out of the question.

PG: Nash
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Kobe (yes, he is out of position, but he can handle it)
PF: Antoine Walker
C: Tough call.... Big Z or O'Neal... I'll go with O'Neal, but either would be a great pick.

EDIT: Forget Big Z and O'Neal... I'm taking Ben Wallace.... I forget he went undrafted that year. Of course I mike take O'Neal over Walker given the dive his career took.

mightybosstone
10-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Kobe
AI
Oneal
Nash
Marbury

O'Neal over Nash and O'Neal and Marbury over Ray Allen? Seriously? Starbury wasn't remotely the player that Allen was in his prime. Like not in the same stratosphere.

xbrackattackx
10-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Doing a team I would want....

Nash
Allen
Kobe
Shareef
Camby

Peja sixth man.

SeoulBeatz
10-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Considering longevity it would have to be

Kobe
Nash
Allen
A.I
O'Neal

Kaner
10-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Kobe
Nash
Allen
AI
Wallace (entered the draft but wasn't picked)

Team

Nash
Kobe
Peja
O'neal
Wallace

YAALREADYKNO
10-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Kobe
Iverson
Nash
Allen
O'Neal

Hawkeye15
10-10-2014, 04:33 PM
sweet thread, yet another reminder of how inept my Wolves are...

abe_froman
10-10-2014, 04:51 PM
even back then i was confused by it

Grizzly Adams
10-10-2014, 06:06 PM
kobe(easy)
nash
allen
ai
peja/o'neal

Almost on the same page, but I might have AI and Allen tied. I feel Kobe and Nash are the top 2 for sure though.

Allen and AI both brought so much to the game, and left their own unique mark in their HOF careers.

Peja was so good in his days with the Kings. Once that Indy trade happened, he started to trend downward faster than O'Neal did. That one is a toss up too. I think I give Peja the slight nod though. My heart always stopped whenever he would shoot a 3. It really depends on what you value in the players.

My list probably goes like this:
Kobe
Nash
AI/Allen
Peja
Just Missed: O'Neal

If only Shareef could have stayed healthy, and been known for more than the guy who shares (last I knew anyway) the record for most games played without making the playoffs. I always liked watching him play.

abe_froman
10-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Almost on the same page, but I might have AI and Allen tied. I feel Kobe and Nash are the top 2 for sure though.

i value the efficiency and not be a problem child over the excitement, allen def gets the edge for me. ai could fill it up,but people forget that prime allen was also one of the top volume scorers in the league.

Seizabmc
10-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Kobe
Nash
Ai
Marbury
Ray Allen

Seizabmc
10-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Wasn't Tim Duncan in that draft?

And glen rice
Sharif Adua Raheem
Kg
Antonio walker
And I know there was more.

Or maybe they were the year before or after not sure.

I've been a long time knick fan since 94 ,
But that year was the year that I really started following b ball intensely .

Grizzly Adams
10-10-2014, 07:31 PM
i value the efficiency and not be a problem child over the excitement, allen def gets the edge for me. ai could fill it up,but people forget that prime allen was also one of the top volume scorers in the league.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, AI had his own unique qualities that truly made him a special player of his time that can't be ignored.

The biggest downfall to Allen Iverson's career was Allen Iverson. Ray Allen has stayed in great shape and is still in demand. Even with Allen's longevity aside, it's still tough to really separate the two in my opinion. I can easily see the arguments for picking either one though.

DemarDerozan
10-11-2014, 01:09 AM
I'd want a team with strong chemistry, so AI is out of the question.

SG: Ray Allen
SF: Kobe (yes, he is out of position, but he can handle it)
PF: Antoine Walker
C: Tough call.... Big Z or O'Neal... I'll go with O'Neal, but either would be a great pick.

I like the starting five idea.

I think this would be the best team:
SG: Allen
SF: Kobe
PF: O'Neil
C: Camby

Sixth man: Peja

DemarDerozan
10-11-2014, 01:22 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, AI had his own unique qualities that truly made him a special player of his time that can't be ignored.

The biggest downfall to Allen Iverson's career was Allen Iverson. Ray Allen has stayed in great shape and is still in demand. Even with Allen's longevity aside, it's still tough to really separate the two in my opinion. I can easily see the arguments for picking either one though.

I think my all time potential team would be:

PG: AI
SG: Michael Ray Richardson
SF: LeBron
PF: Barkley
C: Chris Webber

These guys could have all had greater careers if their mentality matched their natural talent level. Few greats have both. Can you imagine AI with Tim Duncan's level of focus and leadership?

xbrackattackx
10-12-2014, 01:23 AM

And glen rice
Sharif Adua Raheem
Kg
Antonio walker

Tim Duncan was 97,glen rice was 89. Antonio Walker and Sharif Adua Raheem went undrafted.

JasonJohnHorn
10-12-2014, 02:14 AM

I forgot about that. I thought they drafted Marbury.... which wasn't a 'bad' pick (he did have a couple of All-Star appearances), but yeah... picking Ray Allen and THEN trading him WITH ANOTHER first-round pick for Marbury? OUCH!

mightybosstone
10-12-2014, 08:20 AM

And glen rice
Sharif Adua Raheem
Kg
Antonio walker

Tim Duncan was 97,glen rice was 89. Antonio Walker and Sharif Adua Raheem went undrafted.

And KG was drafted in 95.

mrblisterdundee
10-12-2014, 05:31 PM

Shareef Abdur-Rahim was drafted with the third pick of the 1996 draft. Antoine Walker Antonio Walker isn't an NBA player was drafted with the sixth pick in '96.

mrblisterdundee
10-12-2014, 05:40 PM
I totally forgot about Ben Wallace going undrafted. I officially update my list:

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Allen Iverson
3. Steve Nash
4. Ray Allen
5. Benjamin Wallace

Jermaine O'Neal was pretty good, but Wallace was so much better defensively would have been a great compliment to a player like Iverson, if the two were in their prime. Ok, darn it; here's my starting five if I get to construct a team out of 1996 picks:

PG: Steve Nash
PG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Shareef Abdur-Rahim
PF: Jermaine O'Neal
C: Ben Wallace

While I'd take Iverson ahead of Nash, I definitely wouldn't put Iverson on a team with Bryant. That's got drama written all over it.

FlashBolt
10-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Kobe
Nash
Allen
Iverson
Camby

Nash is definitely #2 for me. I have Allen over Iverson because Allen played smart basketball. Camby was a very serviceable player and great defender. I don't think Kobe needs an explanation. Crazy to think that so many teams passed on one of the most amazing player of all time. He could have changed that franchise for two decades.

Lloyd Christmas
10-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Kobe
Iverson
Ray Allen
Nash
Oneal