PDA

View Full Version : Wizards trying to be the next "bad boys"

j-bay
10-08-2014, 04:35 PM
CHICAGO — There was a tangible buzz, one not typically associated with insignificant exhibition basketball, as the Washington Wizards dressed in the visiting locker room at United Center on Monday night minutes after defeating the Bulls to open the preseason.

The contest, an 85-81 Wizards victory, featured intensity suited for the postseason, not exhibition affairs. Two scuffles broke out in front of an announced sellout crowd. Several hard fouls were committed. Emotions were high from the opening tip.

Some of the vehemence stemmed from the budding rivalry between the teams less than six months after the Wizards knocked out a shorthanded Bulls outfit in the first round of the playoffs. Most of the ferocity, however, went beyond the teams’ antagonism, Wizards players emphasized. The Wizards, various players reiterated, are determined to deliver a message beyond Illinois, even if it is just the preseason.

“That wasn’t a statement for just them!” forward DeJuan Blair proclaimed from the corner of the locker room. “That was a statement for the league!”

On media day, Blair declared that the Wizards, now featuring one of the league’s biggest and deepest front courts, are the second coming of the Pistons’ notorious “Bad Boys” teams of the late 1980s. Blair was alone in his bold notice, at least publicly. Monday, teammates joined him, planting the seeds for the identity they plan to establish immediately.

The memo is straightforward: The Wizards will play tough and physical. They will play with an edge and not get pushed around. Two seasons removed from a 29-win campaign, the Wizards believe they are among the Eastern Conference’s best and they will back down from nobody.

“We’re going to be the instigators,” 17-year veteran Paul Pierce asserted.

Pierce was the season’s first instigator. Three minutes into Monday’s exhibition, he committed a hard foul on Bulls guard Jimmy Butler. While the referees reviewed the replay to decide whether to give Pierce a flagrant foul, Pierce and Bulls all-star center Joakim Noah got into an altercation in front of the Bulls’ bench.
Advertisement

The physicality continued with a few hard fouls. In the second quarter, Glen Rice Jr. raked Bulls all-star point guard Derrick Rose’s eye attempting to block his layup. At the end of the third quarter, Kevin Seraphin set the hardest of the Wizards’ several crushing screens on Butler, who was flattened near half-court. Seraphin was called for an offensive foul and emotions escalated again when Butler pushed Seraphin, who was standing over him.

In all, the Wizards committed 33 fouls to the Bulls’ 24. Blair fouled out with 7 minutes 43 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Pierce committed five fouls in just 20 minutes and Bradley Beal was also had five fouls called against him.

“I think that’s what got us over the edge last year,” point guard John Wall said. “We didn’t take nothing from nobody. A lot of teams like to throw the punch first. But if we stick to their first punch you let them know you’re not backing down and they change their approach of how they play.”

Coach Randy Wittman didn’t denounce the rough play. Rather, he approved of it, complimenting the hard screens his players set and the team’s overall physicality. His deep front court has size, he reasoned, and should be physical. And if his team assumes the rugged identity his players are striving for, Wittman is not against it.

“You don’t worry about what your identity is as long as you have one,” Wittman said. “That always kind of changes year in and year out. And we’ll find out what our identity is. It’s when you don’t have an identity is when you ought to be worried.”
Advertisement

The Wizards are fully embracing the rugged identity. After Monday’s win, Seraphin logged onto Twitter and posted, “That screen tho…#BadBoys.” Tuesday morning, he tweeted a YouTube clip of the screen he set on Butler.

Monday’s performance, the players insist, was just the beginning.

“You put a group of guys like us on the same team and we’re going to feed off each other,” Blair said. “So I think we did a good job. Paul started it. We all here. It’s all good. I told y’all we’re the Bad Boys. Watch. Just watch, man.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/washington-wizards-say-preseason-opener-vs-bulls-was-statement-of-physical-identity/2014/10/07/91a1d560-4e4e-11e4-aa5e-7153e466a02d_story.html

I hope they they get to do this against the Cavs. As they say "if you can't beat them, beat them".

sixers247
10-08-2014, 04:39 PM
:yawn:

Hotone1401
10-08-2014, 04:49 PM
This is sort of stupid on their part I would say. The league can easily put these guys back in place by carefully officiating their games. I guess it really all depends on what the league will allow them to get away with and I don't think it will be much at all. No way Adam Silver is going to let this happen. Everything will be called a flagrant and they'll quickly change their tune in the first month of the season.

prodigy
10-08-2014, 04:52 PM
So scared...

j-bay
10-08-2014, 04:55 PM
So scared...

The Wiz can't beat the Cavs with the talent they have. So we might as well take the physical approach. Just like the Pistons did with the Bulls, Celtics and Lakers in the late 80s.

dtmagnet
10-08-2014, 05:05 PM
The Wiz can't beat the Cavs with the talent they have. So we might as well take the physical approach. Just like the Pistons did with the Bulls, Celtics and Lakers in the late 80s.

Not possible the way the refs are these days.

DemarDerozan
10-08-2014, 05:05 PM
So scared...

The LeQueen Rules?

Bron might want to think about putting some of that weight back on.

Htownballa1622
10-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Paula Pierce up to his antics again.

Just continue to grow and get better rather than try to be some "bad boys."

What's funny is it's coming from the inferior Wiz players.

I like Wall and Beal. They can be tough by playing hard, not by getting into the punk *** ways of someone like Pierce.

DemarDerozan
10-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Not possible the way the refs are these days.

It's unfortunate. The Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, Bulls era of the 80's is arguably the best basketball that has ever been played.

Basketball is a contact sport. Setting hard picks and putting a little hurt into clean fouls should be accepted...

Now, fouls off the ball or away from the ball. Or blatant blows or kicks thrown to the face, groin, or throat should be disciplined.

5ass
10-08-2014, 05:24 PM
I might be biased, but I think this magic team will be the closest thing to a modern day version of the bad boys.

prodigy
10-08-2014, 05:44 PM
So scared...

BuT they don't have tough players That's the problem. Pp is a grandpa now. Beal looks like a little boy and wall is a kid just trying to hard to be, well hard. I agree that getting physical can help them but they might end up just looking like clowns.

slaker619
10-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Not happening with their players

ohreally
10-08-2014, 06:29 PM
C'mon, you can now be called for a flagrant foul because you should have known if the ball actually gets to Blake he's going to sky. You can't try to intercept a pass that isn't headed exactly for you because athletes do jump.

The game is about entertains offense now, or someone's idea of that. The Wiz have probably already been threatened with suspensions for talking bad.

InRoseWeTrust
10-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry, but no one is taking you seriously Washington. You knocked off a completely hobbled Bulls team last year and then went nowhere. Congrats.

Arch Stanton
10-08-2014, 07:58 PM
:laugh:

ChI_ShIzzLe
10-08-2014, 09:06 PM
First they need to figure out how to make their star PG not **** his pants every time he has to guard D-Rose. Then call yourselves the Bad Boys.

prodigy
10-08-2014, 11:11 PM
First they need to figure out how to make their star PG not **** his pants every time he has to guard D-Rose. Then call yourselves the Bad Boys.

Well d rose has to play to be guarded...

chitownbulls
10-09-2014, 02:33 AM
Well d rose has to play to be guarded...

Ahh I see what you did there.

Ebbs
10-09-2014, 02:49 AM
John Wall and Paul Pierce as tough guys lol

rex.reyesiii
10-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Roid Rage? I say have them all checked for it. Lol.

Crackadalic
10-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Paul Pierce is a little *****. Hate that mofo like I hate my job.

wizardsfan3
10-09-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry, but no one is taking you seriously Washington. You knocked off a completely hobbled Bulls team last year and then went nowhere. Congrats.

Bulls fans making excuses now, how cute lol

InRoseWeTrust
10-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Bulls fans making excuses now, how cute lol

Lmao. I'm marking this post so we can talk during the regular season and playoffs.

wizardsfan3
10-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Lmao. I'm marking this post so we can talk during the regular season and playoffs.

Don't disappear if/when Rose gets hurt again :)

InRoseWeTrust
10-09-2014, 10:52 AM

Never have before. By the way, when your team has to publicly convince everyone they are "bad boys", it's probably a sign they aren't really bad boys.

wizardsfan3
10-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Never have before. By the way, when your team has to publicly convince everyone they are "bad boys", it's probably a sign they aren't really bad boys.

Lol ok...? I never said they were

Jetsguy
10-09-2014, 11:10 AM
So many teams over the years have proclaimed themselves the next badboys lol. It will never happen again, just a much different league

PhillyFaninLA
10-09-2014, 11:29 AM
The original "bad boys" would leave the current Wizards crying...not many teams could rival them in that area

uptown0364
10-09-2014, 11:44 AM
I like how Seraphin is bragging about an illegal screen he got called for. Anyone can blindside a player with an illegal screen. Not many people brag about it and post it on social media like they are proud though.

Deception
10-09-2014, 11:58 AM
This is just hilarious, refs now a days won't let anything slide like they did, and if they play too physical the league will just suspend/fine their players daily.

ChI_ShIzzLe
10-09-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm sure you're praying for that to happen..only way Wizards will go anywhere in the playoffs.

Stinkyoutsider
10-09-2014, 12:24 PM
I like the Wizards mindset but I see they racked up a lot of fouls. They can't keep doing this during the regular season and think they'll win games.

I see our team as more of a finesse team even with Thibbs having his influence over the team. They're tough minded and hard working but when it comes to physicality, there's not too many bruiser type players here, especially now that Boozer is gone.

I'd like to see the Wizards continue to be physical against teams like the Pistons or the Kings. Drummond and Cousins would look forward to that type of game.

PurpleLynch
10-09-2014, 01:11 PM
http://www.nba.com/2014/news/10/08/wizards-suspended.ap/index.html

They are starting well!

wizardsfan3
10-09-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm sure you're praying for that to happen..only way Wizards will go anywhere in the playoffs.

Lol not really...

prodigy
10-09-2014, 04:47 PM

Lol not really...

I hate the bulls but he is right lol. If rose is heathy its cavs bulls easy. Nobody will even be close to them.

lamzoka
10-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Even with a healthy rose Wizard > Bulls

j-bay
10-09-2014, 05:40 PM
I hate the bulls but he is right lol. If rose is heathy its cavs bulls easy. Nobody will even be close to them.

No actually the key would be if Rose is back at 100 percent of his playing level.

Punk
10-09-2014, 06:33 PM
I don't understand why they feel the need to do this. They aren't adding any extra wins trying to be badass.

This reminds me of the Pacers saying they want to be the NBA version of the Seahawks. We all saw how that turned out.

The Wizards need to STFU and win games. You haven't come close to 50 wins yet, work on developing a winning culture off the playoff run first.

InRoseWeTrust
10-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Even with a healthy rose Wizard > Bulls

:laugh:

I mean I don't even know where to start.

Rockice_8
10-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Now that PP is no longer a Net I can go back to hating him. Wiz fans just so you know, you probably downgraded from Ariza to PP. Dude can't hang at SF anymore, too slow. His crafty play will only go so far.

prodigy
10-10-2014, 02:16 PM

No actually the key would be if Rose is back at 100 percent of his playing level.

No, I don't think he even needs to be 100% at least 80 to go with gasol, Noah etc... bulls in 5.

DemarDerozan
10-11-2014, 01:50 AM
Paul Pierce and Andre Miller at least played during 90's when **** was still a little harder. Plus they both have that old man strength and are good locker room guys. If Pierce can play 50 games and produce in the playoffs like he did last year the Wiz might contend. They've got Gortat and Nene who are physical bigs. Plus some of the other young guys have some grit...
They should just pick up Deshawn Stevenson and Ivan Johnson to throw some bows. Then they got a chance.

Can you imagine Ivan Johnson laying out Pau or KLove with a hard foul/pick in the ECF? That **** would be legit.

farren.louis
10-11-2014, 02:17 PM
They can't be the "bad boys" not in this league . It just seems like the world itself is becoming Soft . Westbrook can walk around in tight colorful clothes , but other guys can't wear jeans and a t-shirt. That's where the league is at right now.