PDA

View Full Version : New NBA TV deal could lead to expansion

JustinTime
10-06-2014, 09:38 PM
http://www.si.com/nba/2014/10/06/nba-tv-deal-adam-silver-lockout-expansion-espn-turner

Interesting article from sports illustrated about the new TV deal, potential expansion in the NBA and a bunch of other issues.

"If the NBA pursues expansion, expect Seattle, Louisville and Las Vegas to emerge as the most serious contenders in the United States."

"The NBA might also consider expansion in other countries. Vancouver, the former home of the Grizzlies, would be a logical candidate."

"Silver also suggested the league might explore placing teams in London and in Europe"

BALLER R
10-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Give Vancouver a team.

c.c.
10-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Putting a team outside of North America will not go well players.

asandhu23
10-06-2014, 10:14 PM
I want NBA in Europe!

JustinTime
10-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Give Vancouver a team.

That would be my dream. I don't know how anyone can say Seattle deserves a team more than Vancouver. They had a team for years and had lots of success including a title way back but the fans support had always been average to poor despite plenty of successful seasons. Vancouver on the other hand were putting up similar numbers and they were literally the worst run franchise ever in the NBA and had the worst record to go with it. The NBA screwed Vancouver way harder than it did Seattle.

GunFactor187
10-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Give Vancouver and Seattle teams move the either the Wolves or Pelicans and Grizzlies to the East.

effen5
10-06-2014, 10:55 PM
The NBA does not need to expand. They need to contract.

FlashBolt
10-06-2014, 11:39 PM
They do need to expand. I think NBA is just too talented right now and in many cases, some players could use their own team.

GodsSon
10-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Agree with the posters about Vancouver.

That crowd was going crazy last night over a pre-season game!

spreadeagle
10-07-2014, 12:26 AM
Agree with the posters about Vancouver.

That crowd was going crazy last night over a pre-season game!

They had a chance and blew it, Id give it to other places who have not ever had a team first

Iron24th
10-07-2014, 01:02 AM
Seattle is the obvious choice

Corey
10-07-2014, 01:11 AM
I'd like a Kansas City team. Seeing how they are with KU basketball, the Chiefs being good again, and the Royals in the playoffs....That could be a great home court advantage if the team was competitive.

They already have a stadium.

abe_froman
10-07-2014, 01:25 AM
if they do,seattle needs top priority and something in the east(pittsburg?)or realignment with adding another in the west and bringing the grizz to the east

mike_noodles
10-07-2014, 08:43 AM
They had a chance and blew it, Id give it to other places who have not ever had a team first

I don't think you understand what happened. And then why do other places get another chance? New Orleans, Charlotte and possibly Seattle?

JustinTime
10-07-2014, 09:55 AM
I don't think you understand what happened. And then why do other places get another chance? New Orleans, Charlotte and possibly Seattle?

Yea he knows nothing about what happened it's pretty obvious.

Goose17
10-07-2014, 09:57 AM
They need a Canadian team and a team for Seattle too.

Ariza's Better
10-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Expanding would be a horrible decision. It would create even more average to bad teams and weakening the product.

Goose17
10-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Expanding would be a horrible decision. It would create even more average to bad teams and weakening the product.

Or it might breed competition and create less "super teams".

Expanding has worked before... and it's a business, it's meant to grow. It's destiny is to expand.

mightybosstone
10-07-2014, 12:05 PM
It's really hard to tell whether or not expansion would benefit the product or not. On one hand, there are a lot of bad teams in the league and the talent at the bottom is pretty diluted. But on the other, the reason those teams suck is generally because they're mismanaged, and the increased popularity and wealth of the NBA will undoubtedly continue to attract more and more top tier athletes.

I lean slightly toward expansion partially because I think the league is growing on a global scale and will continue to see more and more players from Europe. That combined with the growing wealth of the sport and overall population growth worldwide should lead to more talent coming to the NBA in the foreseeable future.

But as everyone else has already said, Seattle should be a lock for one expansion team. Canada and Kansas City would also be great options. I'm not crazy about Las Vegas. Players get into enough trouble in Vegas as it is, and the idea of a professional sports team being based out of the city just seems like a really bad idea.

albertajaysfan
10-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Start with Vancouver and Seattle. They both have arenas ready to play in and could possibly create another good rivalry coming in at the same time.

Seattle could resurrect their established tradition be taken the SuperSonics name. Vancouver is forced to start fresh which is a good thing because no one in Vancouver wants to be reminded of the ineptitude that was the Vancouver Grizzlies.

Baller1
10-07-2014, 12:58 PM
That would be my dream. I don't know how anyone can say Seattle deserves a team more than Vancouver. They had a team for years and had lots of success including a title way back but the fans support had always been average to poor despite plenty of successful seasons. Vancouver on the other hand were putting up similar numbers and they were literally the worst run franchise ever in the NBA and had the worst record to go with it. The NBA screwed Vancouver way harder than it did Seattle.

lol.

DR_1
10-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Give Vancouver and Seattle teams move the either the Wolves or Pelicans and Grizzlies to the East.

This.

DR_1
10-07-2014, 01:10 PM
I'd like a Kansas City team. Seeing how they are with KU basketball, the Chiefs being good again, and the Royals in the playoffs....That could be a great home court advantage if the team was competitive.

They already have a stadium.

I agree that KC could support a team, but I think Seattle and Vancouver should be first.

JustinTime
10-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Start with Vancouver and Seattle. They both have arenas ready to play in and could possibly create another good rivalry coming in at the same time.

Seattle could resurrect their established tradition be taken the SuperSonics name. Vancouver is forced to start fresh which is a good thing because no one in Vancouver wants to be reminded of the ineptitude that was the Vancouver Grizzlies.

if this does happen the owner better be local this time around. I also like Seattle getting a team so we have a rivalry in them and the Raptors.

DanRumors
10-07-2014, 01:46 PM
My biggest fear is a lockout coming. Everyone is going to want more of the pie and the players already gave up a lot in the last lockout. It should be interesting how this plays out in 2017, but hopefully it provides nothing but a continuation of basketball for decades to come.

2-ONE-5
10-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Putting a team outside of North America will not go well players.

would be the worst possible thing

2-ONE-5
10-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Expanding has worked before... and it's a business, it's meant to grow. It's destiny is to expand.

its already expanded enough. there is not enough top tier talent to go around as it is. Would be better off removing teams

ewing
10-07-2014, 02:58 PM
knicks are back

Heatcheck
10-07-2014, 03:01 PM
its already expanded enough. there is not enough top tier talent to go around as it is. Would be better off removing teams

I agree, all it does is dilute an already ridiculously low talent pool. I understand if it were soccer, but not basketball.
Plus, because of how the game is, where one player can affect the game exponentially more than in any other sport, teams without that elite superstar are screwed.

Corey
10-07-2014, 04:04 PM
I agree that KC could support a team, but I think Seattle and Vancouver should be first.

I agree about Seattle. I dont care if a team is in Vancouver though. Its just hard to draw american talent through free agency to sign in canada. Toronto is doing a nice job building through drafts and trades, but I dont see big names that want to head north of the border. I think Vancouver deserves a team, but I think KC would be a better spot right now.

abe_froman
10-07-2014, 04:28 PM

too close together,to maximize the market they should be somewhat spaced out when talking small-mid market sizes

Pierzynski4Prez
10-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I would think these cities would be at the top of the list
Seattle
Kansas City
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
St. Louis
San Diego
Cincinnati

I'd say Vegas, but I don't think any league will give Vegas a Franchise.

spreadeagle
10-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Yea he knows nothing about what happened it's pretty obvious.

what happened was they drafted guys like Big Country Reeves repeatedly with top pics and fans stopped coming after like 2 seasons, thanks

JustinTime
10-07-2014, 06:14 PM
I agree about Seattle. I dont care if a team is in Vancouver though. Its just hard to draw american talent through free agency to sign in canada. Toronto is doing a nice job building through drafts and trades, but I dont see big names that want to head north of the border. I think Vancouver deserves a team, but I think KC would be a better spot right now.

Canada doesn't really need American players like they did 10 years ago they have a bunch of their own players in the league right now and are continuing to produce more. Vancouver isn't cold like Toronto either we rarely have snow here and we're warmer than almost all the US cities in the North East in the winter. Big names don't want to head to Boston either and we can't say they are a bad basketball city.

todu82
10-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Seattle should get a team. Unsure of who would get the other team, certainly wide open.

JustinTime
10-07-2014, 06:19 PM
too close together,to maximize the market they should be somewhat spaced out when talking small-mid market sizes

Being different countries isolate the market. Just because Seattle has a team doesn't mean Vancouver is on board many will cheer for the Raptors while others will support different teams altogether. I'm from Vancouver and I wouldn't support Seattle if they got a team, I may see the odd game if a good team was playing but I wouldn't be a fan.

IversonIsKrazy
10-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Unbiased, objective opinion: NBA should not expand, will have too many teams with not enough talent, too much disparity. Not enough talent to support so many teams.

Personal, biased: PLZ BRING A TEAM BACK TO VANCOUVER!!!

BALLER R
10-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Unbiased, objective opinion: NBA should not expand, will have too many teams with not enough talent, too much disparity. Not enough talent to support so many teams.

I think the talent in the NBA isn't as one sided as it use to be. A lot of young players with a lot of potential. Look at the East it isn't just 1-3 anymore.

Sidenote looking at your top 10 rappers list, just a question do you listen to Los?

Ariza's Better
10-08-2014, 08:59 AM

How will it breed compition having let's say two extra teams? Bad talent will have more chances to stay in the league. And in no world will more teams equals less super teams.

There is different ways to grow rather than shoving extra teams out there that harm your product.

2-ONE-5
10-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Canada doesn't really need American players like they did 10 years ago they have a bunch of their own players in the league right now and are continuing to produce more. Vancouver isn't cold like Toronto either we rarely have snow here and we're warmer than almost all the US cities in the North East in the winter. Big names don't want to head to Boston either and we can't say they are a bad basketball city.

what does this even mean? of course Canada needs American players, what are they gonna do sign all Canadians?

JustinTime
10-08-2014, 10:13 AM
dp

JustinTime
10-08-2014, 10:14 AM
what does this even mean? of course Canada needs American players, what are they gonna do sign all Canadians?

Canada doesn't have problem attracting Americans they have problems attracting Americans stars because there is more money in many places in the US. So what I meant by that is that Canada is producing their own talent now and could and don't necessarily need a top caliber American player to make the playoffs.

JustinTime
10-08-2014, 10:15 AM

Best of both world just contract two teams and expand.

2-ONE-5
10-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Canada doesn't have problem attracting Americans they have problems attracting Americans stars because there is more money in many places in the US. So what I meant by that is that Canada is producing their own talent now and could and don't necessarily need a top caliber American player to make the playoffs.

but just bcuz a player is Canadian doesnt mean is he going to want to sign there when/if he becomes a star.

JustinTime
10-08-2014, 11:54 AM
but just bcuz a player is Canadian doesnt mean is he going to want to sign there when/if he becomes a star.

A lot of players do find it too distracting to play for their home teams but there are guys who like to stay home like Wiggins and Bennett. Even if you don't get a shot at all of them there will be some who want to play at home just like how it works with Americans in US cities.

2-ONE-5
10-08-2014, 12:03 PM
i dont think so, at least not to the extent you think. Your canadian players go to the US for college (for obvious reasons) i think the majority get comfortable here especially the ones who were in the US for HS ball or longer as well. And with just one canadian team in the league it makes that task very difficult anyway

JustinTime
10-08-2014, 02:46 PM
i dont think so, at least not to the extent you think. Your canadian players go to the US for college (for obvious reasons) i think the majority get comfortable here especially the ones who were in the US for HS ball or longer as well. And with just one canadian team in the league it makes that task very difficult anyway

There will be a few like that who might meet a girl in the US or whatever and that keeps them in an American city but most of these guys come and live back in Canada as soon as school or the NBA season is up just like Euro players tend to. That trend of going to the US for high school is going to slow down too because a lot of Canada's up and coming Canadian prospects are staying home for high school now that we finally have some decent prep programs. Even Thon Maker decided to play here.

2-ONE-5
10-08-2014, 04:09 PM
i highly doubt it. the compeition and exposure just cant be matched close enough.