PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets and Faried reach 5 year 60 million extension...which is not allowed

spreadeagle
10-06-2014, 12:10 PM
lol, weird
Apparently, the Nuggets and Kenneth Faried reached an agreement on a five-year, $60 million extension.

One or both sides leaked the details to Yahoo Sports Adrian Wojnarowski, who reported on it.

The problem: Such a deal violates the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Now what?

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:CBA verbiage on 5 years for rookie ext. less than max is ambiguous, at best. Denver talking w/ NBA on Faried now, could turn to 4-year deal.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/06/report-nuggets-and-nba-discussing-kenneth-farieds-extension-could-drop-to-four-years/

Hawkeye15
10-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Manimal be overpaid...

Ty_Lawson
10-06-2014, 12:27 PM
I think it is 4+1, so we won't use that 5year you can only use once..5th is not fully guaranteed...

IgglesFanInCO
10-06-2014, 12:30 PM
5/60 would be a good deal, he would get a whole lot more than that on the open market

NYCkid12
10-06-2014, 12:33 PM
I think it's about what he's worth

ewing
10-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Manimal be overpaid...

i agree but so long as he stays healthy at least he is a guy that you know what you are going to get from.

tp13baby
10-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Manimal be overpaid...

Not extremely no. You could go to a nuggets forum about a year ago and you would see I was the biggest in trading him.

He actually succeeded under shaw in the second half where he was a 18 ppg and 10 RPG. He was one of the better USA players. His post game has improved. His midrange game is a lot better.

I'll swallow my words and definitely thinks he deserves this deal. I think he will live up to it.

TrueFan420
10-06-2014, 02:42 PM
I would have said 10 per as fair so this isn't too much of a reach and with the new TV deal and cap increase it should be fine.

IKnowHoops
10-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Manimal be overpaid...

Let me ask you a few questions? Isn't Pecovic getting paid the same thing and he's hurt 20 plus games a year? Would you rather pay Pec that money? Do you think Pec is worth more than Faried?

abe_froman
10-06-2014, 03:31 PM
about what i thought he'd get,its a good deal

Sadds The Gr8
10-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Manimal be overpaid...
Probably but if he can play like he did in the 2nd half of last season then it's fair deal

DemarDerozan
10-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Now that the salary cap will be shooting through the roof in two years this looks like a bargain. Faried hasn't reached his prime yet. If he ends up pulling Rodman-esque numbers this will be a steal. I think he averages 20/12/1/1 in 35 minutes a game this year. He is going to disrupt a lot of these teams that are playing small ball.

IBleedPurple
10-06-2014, 03:53 PM
About right, especially with the cap jump coming.

Usual NBA story, maybe not worth this much (close though), but he'd get more elsewhere.

IgglesFanInCO
10-06-2014, 04:33 PM
He would have EASILY gotten a max on the open market

He's just a nugget so he doesnt get a lot of exposure, no one has been watching him develop

if he can stay one of the most efficient players out there averaging 18-10 (what he did post all-star break last year) this will be a steal.

then factor in the new tv deal and this will be a total bargain, phenomenal signing

and all this is coming from a nuggets fan who wanted to trade him cause he would get overpaid

Hawkeye15
10-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Not extremely no. You could go to a nuggets forum about a year ago and you would see I was the biggest in trading him.

He actually succeeded under shaw in the second half where he was a 18 ppg and 10 RPG. He was one of the better USA players. His post game has improved. His midrange game is a lot better.

I'll swallow my words and definitely thinks he deserves this deal. I think he will live up to it.

the only way I can agree he isn't overpaid, is that the Nuggets know when the cap rises a substantial amount, he will either be paid accordingly, or even underpaid depending on the market.

I don't think his ceiling is as high as many do though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Hawkeye15
10-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Let me ask you a few questions? Isn't Pecovic getting paid the same thing and he's hurt 20 plus games a year? Would you rather pay Pec that money? Do you think Pec is worth more than Faried?

Pek is WAY overpaid...

HeatFan
10-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Manimal be overpaid...

Would you prefer Amare Stoudamire at $23million?

Hawkeye15
10-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Would you prefer Amare Stoudamire at $23million?

how does that change the point? That is like asking me if I would prefer to have sex with Rosie O'Donnell over Sarah Jessica Parker. Neither please, even if one makes my a lot more disgusted than the other..

HeatFan
10-06-2014, 07:15 PM
how does that change the point? That is like asking me if I would prefer to have sex with Rosie O'Donnell over Sarah Jessica Parker. Neither please, even if one makes my a lot more disgusted than the other..

It means that many other teams are way worst off with their current big men than the Nuggets would be by paying Faried $15 million a year. Faried was impressive in FIBA and had a good year last year. His play may not be pretty but like a Joakim Noah, it's pretty effective. and when you have that in a front court player, you are bound to pay more than usual.

Hawkeye15
10-06-2014, 07:20 PM
It means that many other teams are way worst off with their current big men than the Nuggets would be by paying Faried $15 million a year. Faried was impressive in FIBA and had a good year last year. His play may not be pretty but like a Joakim Noah, it's pretty effective. and when you have that in a front court player, you are bound to pay more than usual.

I don't care about FIBA, it does nothing to change my opinion of the NBA game. Faried is a nice player, but his ceiling is not as high as many believe. He is now an overpaid energy guy.

Just my opinion, but then again, I think 90% of the NBA is overpaid.

HeatFan
10-06-2014, 07:26 PM
I don't care about FIBA, it does nothing to change my opinion of the NBA game. Faried is a nice player, but his ceiling is not as high as many believe. He is now an overpaid energy guy.

I haven't seen much of Gordon Hayward but when I saw his deal I thought wow this guy hasn't done anything for so much $$$. So many more I think the same, so I understand your point. Would you have given Marion that money in his prime?

Rivera
10-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Probably but if he can play like he did in the 2nd half of last season then it's fair deal

I agree with this

5ass
10-06-2014, 08:21 PM
I haven't seen much of Gordon Hayward but when I saw his deal I thought wow this guy hasn't done anything for so much $$$. So many more I think the same, so I understand your point. Would you have given Marion that money in his prime?

I would, for sure. Marion was easily a better player though.

AddiX
10-06-2014, 09:15 PM

At least with Faried you get a player that will give 110% every second he's on the court, I also think he's A very high character guy. Love his motor and willingess to just attack the ball, his versatility to defend multiple positions is also highly underrated.

Not a huge fan of the contract, but I don't consider it that bad either. You really can't get stingy in today's NBA over a few mill here and there because everyone of worth is getting a little more than they probably deserve.

JEDean89
10-06-2014, 09:50 PM
What people outside of Colorado don't really get is just how liked this guy is, we like guys who earned their spot with a chip on their shoulder. Ty was picked 20th and traded on draft night, Afflalo was picked 26th and traded soon after, Faried was picked 22nd and has always faced criticism, guys like McGee, Arthur, Chandler, Robinson all have chips on their shoulder.

Faried is the face of the franchise whether he is the best player or 4th. When a guy gives a franchise that then they will pay him extra. That value, coupled with the salary caps explosion makes this a fair contract. In the grand scheme of things, he has been the starting PF on a couple succesful teams (57 wins) he put up 19 and 10 post allstar break, he is learning defense and is universally praised among coaches and GM's. We could easily spend that money on a Josh Smith but the fact is Faried fits the system, he is getting better and everyone likes him. That should be rewarded with a nice contract.

ewing
10-07-2014, 01:00 AM

I ****ed SJP

Hawkeye15
10-07-2014, 01:21 AM
At least with Faried you get a player that will give 110% every second he's on the court, I also think he's A very high character guy. Love his motor and willingess to just attack the ball, his versatility to defend multiple positions is also highly underrated.

Not a huge fan of the contract, but I don't consider it that bad either. You really can't get stingy in today's NBA over a few mill here and there because everyone of worth is getting a little more than they probably deserve.

yeah, he is a high energy guy who is going to prove ineffective at times.

I get it, he is a likeable player, we all like to see guys who never give up, and work their tales off. But, the NBA is all about actual skill. And while I think Manimal might see some all star games, barely, he isn't worth this deal.

But again, disclaimer, I think most the NBA is overpaid big time.

Hawkeye15
10-07-2014, 01:22 AM
What people outside of Colorado don't really get is just how liked this guy is, we like guys who earned their spot with a chip on their shoulder. Ty was picked 20th and traded on draft night, Afflalo was picked 26th and traded soon after, Faried was picked 22nd and has always faced criticism, guys like McGee, Arthur, Chandler, Robinson all have chips on their shoulder.

Faried is the face of the franchise whether he is the best player or 4th. When a guy gives a franchise that then they will pay him extra. That value, coupled with the salary caps explosion makes this a fair contract. In the grand scheme of things, he has been the starting PF on a couple succesful teams (57 wins) he put up 19 and 10 post allstar break, he is learning defense and is universally praised among coaches and GM's. We could easily spend that money on a Josh Smith but the fact is Faried fits the system, he is getting better and everyone likes him. That should be rewarded with a nice contract.

18th.....my GM drafted Rubio and Flynn ahead of him, and traded the best of the 3...

Hawkeye15
10-07-2014, 01:23 AM
I ****ed SJP

did you do her in her woman hole, or just get lazy and nail a nostril?

AddiX
10-07-2014, 01:31 AM
yeah, he is a high energy guy who is going to prove ineffective at times.

I get it, he is a likeable player, we all like to see guys who never give up, and work their tales off. But, the NBA is all about actual skill. And while I think Manimal might see some all star games, barely, he isn't worth this deal.

But again, disclaimer, I think most the NBA is overpaid big time.

I get what your saying about overpaying for high energy players.

I just don't agree that, that rule counts for centers. That skill set is unique at that position.

Also plays with a pretty high iq. Not the most skilled, but ALL the intangibles are there.

ewing
10-07-2014, 01:41 AM
did you do her in her woman hole, or just get lazy and nail a nostril?

maybe if i was on meth.

IKnowHoops
10-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Pek is WAY overpaid...

OK I see ya

MrfadeawayJB
10-08-2014, 12:18 AM
I would have said 10 per as fair so this isn't too much of a reach and with the new TV deal and cap increase it should be fine.

Exactly my thoughts. This deal will look nice after the tv deal kicks in and you got average players making 8-9 mil

tmacsc2
10-08-2014, 12:48 AM
I think people slight the manimal and chalk his play up to a hustle player, he will surprise a lot of people in the coming years with his quality of play!

Manimal
10-08-2014, 08:00 AM
It looks a pretty good deal when you consider Derrick Favors got 4 years 48 million last year.

prodigy
10-08-2014, 08:09 AM
One problem with guys who are energy/hustle type player. Big injury risks with that style. If he stays healthy over that 5 years then its a OK deal.

Oefarmy2005
10-08-2014, 10:20 AM

What do you have against SJP?

AddiX
10-08-2014, 12:55 PM
It looks a pretty good deal when you consider Derrick Favors got 4 years 48 million last year.

For the most part I forget Derrick Favors even exists.

king4day
10-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Wasn't he going to be traded to NY for Shumpert if the Knicks were willing to offer a 1st rounder too?

I think it was smart for Denver to keep him but it's def an overpay.
Maybe 9-10 tops is what he should have received.
His FIBA play likely impacted the amount he got. Not a bad thing for Denver to pay this much but it's def an overpay. No shame in admitting that.
Suns overpaid Bledsoe and likely both twins. When you don't have a star, you do what you have to do.

TrueFan420
10-08-2014, 03:30 PM
What do you have against SJP?
This isn't bo-jack horseman