PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn Nets Lost $144 million last year...

HeatFan
10-03-2014, 06:36 PM
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/brooklyn-nets-in-talks-with-guggenheim-dodgers-owners-on-combination-of-assets-323871.html

So Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov lost $144 million last year, which according to Grantland was $131 million more than the team that came is second place. This is insane. Who actually thought that Brooklyn with a very old Garnett & Pierce, an aging J. Johnson and an injury plagued Deron Williams would actually win a championship, much less spend so much for clearly not being a championship team?

Got me thinking about roster moves (trades, free agent signing, etc.) that got hyped up extremely and really didn't pan out like everyone expected. Made a list of top three I can think of but I'm sure you guys have plenty more:

1. Karl Malone and Gary Payton going to L.A. with Shaq & Kobe - this seemed like an all-star team on paper that was unbeatable. Although they made it to the finals, got smoked by the Pistons.

2. Chris Webber getting Trade to PHI - feel sad for AI who thought he was getting a "bona fide superstar" (his own words) to finally compete in the East again and reality was that C-Webb was a shell of himself.

3. Basically all high priced free agent signings by the Knicks the past 15 years. I mean more towards the Isaiah Thomas era where they had tons of SGs and SFs who went to NY to see their careers go down in flames.

Honorable mention to the Big 3 (Lebron, Wade and Bosh). People initially made it seem like this was just unfair (mostly hyped up with the not two, not three .... ). They did win but for the hype in the beginning it seemed like the somewhat underachieved. Honorable mention to Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady going to Orlando and they ended up playing almost nothing together because of injuries.

Who else you got?

TO Rapz
10-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Dwight, Nash, Kobe, Pau.

Munkeysuit
10-03-2014, 07:03 PM
The Nets are an over exaggerated sports team with unrealistic expectations, that over spent to realize those expectations in the midst of epic failure and systematic collapse.

KnicksorBust
10-03-2014, 07:11 PM
I love what Prok did. He treated his team like an owner that wanted to win at all costs. Not an owner trying to penny pinch and flip a profit. Also, they got to the 2nd round without their best player Brook Lopez. I don't see how you can call that a failure.

KnicksorBust
10-03-2014, 07:12 PM
I wish there were more owners like him. If he owned the Suns in the mid 2000s then they'd have a title.

HeatFan
10-03-2014, 07:24 PM
I love what Prok did. He treated his team like an owner that wanted to win at all costs. Not an owner trying to penny pinch and flip a profit. Also, they got to the 2nd round without their best player Brook Lopez. I don't see how you can call that a failure.

I agree with having an owner that wants to spend to win. At least you know that your team will be competitive. But you have to admit it was a long-shot to win and the team was really loaded with age.

More-Than-Most
10-03-2014, 07:27 PM

So you want an owner who is going to pverpay massively for mediocre aged/talent all because he really really wants to win? On top of such a decision has made them pretty meh for years to come now with a high payroll.

Wanting to win really badly and be willing to spend doesnt mean good things.

benzni
10-03-2014, 07:31 PM
crooklyn. No firsts for the next 10 years :*(

Captain Moroni
10-03-2014, 07:46 PM
that is a lot of moola

Kaner
10-03-2014, 07:58 PM
I wish there were more owners like him. If he owned the Suns in the mid 2000s then they'd have a title.

Completely agree, same thing if he owned OKC just 3 years ago. If KG's production doesn't fall off a cliff along with a healthy Brook Lopez then who knows what happens. Obviously it didn't work but his win at any cost mentality deserves some praise.

KnicksorBust
10-03-2014, 08:15 PM

I agree with having an owner that wants to spend to win. At least you know that your team will be competitive. But you have to admit it was a long-shot to win and the team was really loaded with age.

No matter what he did it was going to be a long-shot. It was impossible for the Nets and also 20-25 other teams to be more dangerous than that... but he was still doing everything he could do maximize his teams win total and I respect that.

KnicksorBust
10-03-2014, 08:17 PM

So you want an owner who is going to pverpay massively for mediocre aged/talent all because he really really wants to win? On top of such a decision has made them pretty meh for years to come now with a high payroll.

His alternative was spend less, lose more, be more irrelevant. They would have still been capped out and in nba purgatory... how is that better?

KnicksorBust
10-03-2014, 08:19 PM

Completely agree, same thing if he owned OKC just 3 years ago. If KG's production doesn't fall off a cliff along with a healthy Brook Lopez then who knows what happens. Obviously it didn't work but his win at any cost mentality deserves some praise.

Exactly... Duncan and Dirk are still chugging out quality seasons... if KG's decline wasnt so drastic and Brook was healthy that team would be a tough out. Its not like the Heat had the ideal roster to defend someone like Brook. Just look at what Hibbert did two years ago.

xbrackattackx
10-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Dwight,Pau,Kobe and Nash looked bomb on paper. At least Payton,Malone,Shaq and Kobe made it to the finals. I agree prok took a big swing and it didn't follow though, but at least he wants to try and field a winning team.

todu82
10-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Yeah, the nets where supposed to be all that and so much more, looks like that has now blown up in that team's face.

FlashBolt
10-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Nets are like TNA. Granted, I don't watch it but they pretty much sign talent that no one else wants.. and they overpay them!

ohreally
10-03-2014, 09:26 PM
3. Basically all high priced free agent signings by the Knicks the past 15 years. I mean more towards the Isaiah Thomas era where they had tons of SGs and SFs who went to NY to see their careers go down in flames.

Who were all these SGs and SFs? Jamal Crawford? His career didn't go down in flames? I guess you could say Q, but I'm not sure I would say that was entirely true. Steve Francis I guess, OK. Jared Jeffries? He got a generous contract, but really, he was who he was.

Centers now, there you'd have a point. And speaking of points, there was this guy names Stephon something or other.

Isiah gets lambasted for more than he deserves. While overpaying, his trades had potential to improve the team, and he still left the team with a better roster than what he came in to. From that point if the team wasn't blown up and didn't give up draft picks to get rid of people who would have been expiring not all that far in the future, they'd be a much better team than they are right now.

In any case, a ton of SFs and SGs whose careers went down in flames was not the Isiah era.

But Camby, and Nene for McDyess. There was a bad trade.And the implosions of Eddy, Donaldson, and Marbs led to Eddy in effect being traded for LaMarcus Aldridge and Joakim Noah.

ohreally
10-03-2014, 10:03 PM

I think the Nets are better than people rate them. Joe Johnson is still quite good and clutch. Have to be on tenterhooks with regard to Brook, but he's healthy until and unless he's not, and he's pretty good when healthy. Deron, again, we have to see, but reports are good so far. Teletovic is a better player than he's given credit for, and a damn good shooter. Bojan Bogdanovic, who should se a lot of daylight early, should do quite well until he gets adjusted. They drafted some athletic guys. Having Garnett on your team can never be a bad thing, and though he started terribly last year, its not like he's forgotten what he knows. Karasev is quite young but has lots of potential. Plumlee will improve. Marquis even has this year to show improvement before calling him a bust. They have their own or Atlanta's pick next year and their books are pretty much open for 2016.

I really still don't see more than two teams that should be unquestionably better than them in the East. And since I still have questions about Love and Love and Irving coexisting, you never know.

And soon they'll be the Brooklyn Dodgers.

bucketss
10-03-2014, 10:11 PM
i knew nets would be mediocre never understood the hype,

More-Than-Most
10-03-2014, 10:31 PM
I think the Nets are better than people rate them. Joe Johnson is still quite good and clutch. Have to be on tenterhooks with regard to Brook, but he's healthy until and unless he's not, and he's pretty good when healthy. Deron, again, we have to see, but reports are good so far. Teletovic is a better player than he's given credit for, and a damn good shooter. Bojan Bogdanovic, who should se a lot of daylight early, should do quite well until he gets adjusted. They drafted some athletic guys. Having Garnett on your team can never be a bad thing, and though he started terribly last year, its not like he's forgotten what he knows. Karasev is quite young but has lots of potential. Plumlee will improve. Marquis even has this year to show improvement before calling him a bust. They have their own or Atlanta's pick next year and their books are pretty much open for 2016.

I really still don't see more than two teams that should be unquestionably better than them in the East. And since I still have questions about Love and Love and Irving coexisting, you never know.

And soon they'll be the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Pacers/Bulls/cavs/Knicks/Toronto/heat and I might be missing one are better... The next tier would be on par with the nets.

ohreally
10-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Pacers/Bulls/cavs/Knicks/Toronto/heat and I might be missing one are better... The next tier would be on par with the nets.

Just as I said, only two teams that might be unquestionably better.

jmart0424
10-03-2014, 11:26 PM
how exactly are the heat pacers knicks and raptors better

HeatFan
10-04-2014, 10:37 AM

Who were all these SGs and SFs? Jamal Crawford? His career didn't go down in flames? I guess you could say Q, but I'm not sure I would say that was entirely true. Steve Francis I guess, OK. Jared Jeffries? He got a generous contract, but really, he was who he was.

Centers now, there you'd have a point. And speaking of points, there was this guy names Stephon something or other.

Isiah gets lambasted for more than he deserves. While overpaying, his trades had potential to improve the team, and he still left the team with a better roster than what he came in to. From that point if the team wasn't blown up and didn't give up draft picks to get rid of people who would have been expiring not all that far in the future, they'd be a much better team than they are right now.

In any case, a ton of SFs and SGs whose careers went down in flames was not the Isiah era.

But Camby, and Nene for McDyess. There was a bad trade.And the implosions of Eddy, Donaldson, and Marbs led to Eddy in effect being traded for LaMarcus Aldridge and Joakim Noah.

I agree not just SG, SFs but also a lot of large contracts for all positions. Just a few excerpts from those years.
2003-2004
Allan Houston $15,937,500
Antonio McDyess $13,500,000
Keith Van Horn $13,279,750
Plus they had Penny Hardaway ($13MM per), Stephon Marbury at ($13MM per), Tim Thomas (11.9MM per), Vin Baker ($13.5MM per), and several others. That's a lot of money. 7 players with salaries over $13 million per year and none averaged more than 14 points a game.

2005-2006
Allan Houston $19,125,000
Stephon Marbury $16,453,125
Penny Hardaway $15,750,000
Antonio Davis $13,925,000
Maurice Taylor $ 9,100,000
Shandon Anderson $ 7,900,000
Eddy Curry $7,390,000
Jerome James $5,000,000

That's over $90 million in salaries in a year for 8 players that were in stages of their careers where they basically robbed the Knicks. Not to mention that for 2006-2007 the added an old Jalen Rose for $14.6 million yearly with almost the same roster and 2007-2008 Z-bo at $13,333,333. I can keep going but I guess you get the point.

At least I can say the Nets last year were entertaining at times.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-04-2014, 10:53 AM

I remember when the Knicks had Houston,Marbury and Francis. All making over $20M per. Yikes.

nycericanguy
10-04-2014, 11:04 AM
I remember when the Knicks had Houston,Marbury and Francis. All making over $20M per. Yikes.

dont exaggerate, those 3 never made $20m, let alone over... Francis made $15m with NY... Allan Houston made about 14m per... and Marbury made like 16m per year... he only hit the 20m once the last year of his contract... the other 2 never even came close to 20m.

jericho
10-04-2014, 12:30 PM
I like Prok I just think he hired the wrong GM. Besides it didnt matter how much money he invested we all knew that the heat were the team that was gonna be coming out to the finals. Anyways i just really thinkg that Billy King just sucks and thats why the Nets are in the position that they are in rite now. Hey i would preffer to have Prok over James Dolan.

Punk
10-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Yeah, the nets where supposed to be all that and so much more, looks like that has now blown up in that team's face.

2010-2011 NJ Nets:

#30th in attendance
#31th in merchandise
#30th in ticket revenue
22-44 in 2011, 24-58 in 2010 (46 combined wins in 2 seasons

2012-2014 BK Nets:

#13th in attendance
#3rd in merchandise
#5th in ticket revenue
49-32 in 2012, 44-38 in 2014 w/semifinals appearance (93 combined wins in 2 seasons)

Yes, it certainly has "blown up" in their face. I'm sure they regret fielding a perennial playoff contender and building such an established brand, the LA Dodgers with Magic Johnson want to partner with them. Oh, the horror!

Nets are like TNA. Granted, I don't watch it but they pretty much sign talent that no one else wants.. and they overpay them!
LOL Who on earth have the Nets signed that 'nobody' wanted and overpaid for? In fact, the Nets have the most bargain contracts in the league with Kirilenko, Alan Anderson, Bogdanovic, Plumlee, Teletovic all worth much more than they make. The whole "Nets Overpay!" Is a lazy inaccurate theory.

Oh and the Nets are far far far more superior than TNA ever was. Horrible comparison.

HeatFan
10-04-2014, 01:01 PM
2010-2011 NJ Nets:

#30th in attendance
#31th in merchandise
#30th in ticket revenue
22-44 in 2011, 24-58 in 2010 (46 combined wins in 2 seasons

2012-2014 BK Nets:

#13th in attendance
#3rd in merchandise
#5th in ticket revenue
49-32 in 2012, 44-38 in 2014 w/semifinals appearance (93 combined wins in 2 seasons)

Yes, it certainly has "blown up" in their face. I'm sure they regret fielding a perennial playoff contender and building such an established brand, the LA Dodgers with Magic Johnson want to partner with them. Oh, the horror!

LOL Who on earth have the Nets signed that 'nobody' wanted and overpaid for? In fact, the Nets have the most bargain contracts in the league with Kirilenko, Alan Anderson, Bogdanovic, Plumlee, Teletovic all worth much more than they make. The whole "Nets Overpay!" Is a lazy inaccurate theory.

Oh and the Nets are far far far more superior than TNA ever was. Horrible comparison.

You can be first in every gross revenue category but if at the end of te day the bottom line was a $144 million loss, you don't see a problem with that?

Punk
10-04-2014, 01:14 PM
You can be first in every gross revenue category but if at the end of te day the bottom line was a $144 million loss, you don't see a problem with that?
No? Ownership WANTED to spend a high amount of taxes to bring relevancy to the franchise that was moving to the NY market. They didn't spend accidentally or with carelessness either. They assembled a perennial playoff team that has unfortunately been ravaged by injuries. Aside from that, Prokhorov is wealthy enough to absorb a 144 million dollar loss. If Prokhorov's choice was to implement spending at all costs, why should losses matter?

Besides, the Nets will 50 million under the cap in 2016. So, the Nets will be making a huge profit sooner than later and the Dodgers partnership will only help accelerate profit.

JustinTime
10-04-2014, 01:33 PM
awful fan base they should move them to Vancouver.

ohreally
10-04-2014, 02:25 PM
I agree not just SG, SFs but also a lot of large contracts for all positions. Just a few excerpts from those years.
2003-2004
Allan Houston $15,937,500
Antonio McDyess $13,500,000
Keith Van Horn $13,279,750
Plus they had Penny Hardaway ($13MM per), Stephon Marbury at ($13MM per), Tim Thomas (11.9MM per), Vin Baker ($13.5MM per), and several others. That's a lot of money. 7 players with salaries over $13 million per year and none averaged more than 14 points a game.

2005-2006
Allan Houston $19,125,000
Stephon Marbury $16,453,125
Penny Hardaway $15,750,000
Antonio Davis $13,925,000
Maurice Taylor $ 9,100,000
Shandon Anderson $ 7,900,000
Eddy Curry $7,390,000
Jerome James $5,000,000

That's over $90 million in salaries in a year for 8 players that were in stages of their careers where they basically robbed the Knicks. Not to mention that for 2006-2007 the added an old Jalen Rose for $14.6 million yearly with almost the same roster and 2007-2008 Z-bo at $13,333,333. I can keep going but I guess you get the point.

At least I can say the Nets last year were entertaining at times.

But most all of the SGs and SFs were pre-Isiah or part of a deal that wasn't about them. Marbs, Curry, and James all blew up in his face. But they were moves for potentially solid offensive and defensive bigs and a very talented point. James was an injury, Curry and Marbs were self-inflicted and you could say that the handwriting was on the wall, but Isiah thought he could get through to anyone. Considering where he started from, if those moves worked out just a bit, what Isiah would have done in a very short time would have been pretty miraculous really. And once they blew up he still had the team pretty well on the right track by the time he left, with all of those big misses being not that far off from expiring.

At least when he gave up draft picks he was getting something in return.

Too early to say if Phil actually gets the Knicks back on a good track, but he does keep hope alive. The worst decisions by the Knicks though have been those pre and post Isiah.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-04-2014, 02:29 PM
dont exaggerate, those 3 never made $20m, let alone over... Francis made $15m with NY... Allan Houston made about 14m per... and Marbury made like 16m per year... he only hit the 20m once the last year of his contract... the other 2 never even came close to 20m.

Stephon Marbury $20,840,625

Stephon Marbury $19,012,500

Allan Houston $17,531,000

2007-2008
Steve Francis $15,070,000

2008-2009
Steve Francis $17,180,000

Yeah I fell short. But them were all horrible contracts. Still I was close for salaries for 6 to 10 years back going off the top of my head. $2.5M and $3M off in the later years. I tried, and you got me.

ohreally
10-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Stephon Marbury $20,840,625

Allan Houston $17,531,000

2007-2008
Steve Francis $15,070,000

2008-2009
Steve Francis $17,180,000

Yeah I fell short. But them were all horrible contracts. Still I was close for salaries for 6 to 10 years back going off the top of my head. $2.5M and $3M off in the later years. I tried, and you got me.

Yeah, bad contracts, but you can't really count salaries when players were no longer on the team. Francis was gone as a package to get Zach Randolph. Marbs should have been expiring on the Knicks or at least not had a Scarlett letter hung so prominently around his neck in public so they may have been able to get some value for him.

Goose17
10-05-2014, 11:09 AM

This guy is a hero now, there's been a bronze statue of him erected and he featured in a musical show. Crazy how things turn out.

Hawkeye15
10-05-2014, 02:37 PM

agreed. While I think the Nets window closes by the minute he is a dream come true owner for a fan base.

Vampirate
10-05-2014, 03:32 PM
agreed. While I think the Nets window closes by the minute he is a dream come true owner for a fan base.

He's basically another version of Cuban, the problem is Billy King, the guy was given the money to build a mansion, yet all he has to show for this is a small cottage.

As long as he is there, that franchise is going nowhere.

Hawkeye15
10-05-2014, 03:55 PM
He's basically another version of Cuban, the problem is Billy King, the guy was given the money to build a mansion, yet all he has to show for this is a small cottage.

oh I agree, I meant he is the owner you want. But King is not the GM you want, obviously..

jericho
10-05-2014, 04:25 PM

oh I agree, I meant he is the owner you want. But King is not the GM you want, obviously..

I just don't know how king keeps getting GM jobs. All you have to do is look at his track record to see that he ain't good at it.

Vampirate
10-05-2014, 05:29 PM
how exactly are the heat pacers knicks and raptors better

Well the Heat may have lost James but should still win more than 40 games, they also have the best track record atm.

The knicks are going up, i'm not sure they'll be better but who knows, it's Phil.

Pacers i'm not sure here, pre off season sure, but now it could be close.

Raptors should be better, they are deeper this year and should beat up on Philadelphia and Boston for quite a few wins. The Raptors have the most room for growth as well and are the most proven in the Atlantic atm.

I would add I think Charlotte could be better than the Nets as well.

Punk
10-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Alot of the things being said here are so way off. Billy King's 'big' trades have been his only negative. Aside from that, he is reresponsible for signing Kirilenko to a mini deal, Blatche on a bargain, drafting Plumlee, finding Teletovic, drafting Bogdanovic, finding low priced pick ups like Livingston, CJ Watson, Alan Anderson, etc. If Lionel Hollins pans out, he will be responsible for that also.

D-Leethal
10-06-2014, 09:56 AM
No matter what he did it was going to be a long-shot. It was impossible for the Nets and also 20-25 other teams to be more dangerous than that... but he was still doing everything he could do maximize his teams win total and I respect that.

Going ALL-IN for one season and mortgaging the **** out of your future while leaving zero flexibility to improve is not something to be applauded for, when all you did was get swept out of the 2nd round.

D-Leethal
10-06-2014, 09:57 AM
You can respect the win-at-all-costs mentality and recognize the execution was terrible.

Rockice_8
10-06-2014, 11:36 AM
I think the money thing was lose cash now but make much more later on by establishing yourself in a city dominated by the Knicks. I mean their value just multiplied by 5 or 6 times already. Now could even more with this LA merger. It seems that it worked somewhat as the Nets have been accepted by Brooklyn pretty well. Still have a long way to go but they established a foothold in Brooklyn at least.

The Nets are a better team this year than last year. Thus far healthier, less ball dominant players so now D-Will can get back to doing most of that as he should, a better balanced lineup (no more Pierce at the 4), an experienced coach and more shooting with Jack and Bogdanovic. Lopez back will be huge and hopefully a healthy D-Will.

People are sleeping hard on Brooklyn. They can certainly make one more run at the East with this team and then prep next year for 2016. Health will obviously go a long way determining their season not overall talent or depth.

Did I read that INDY, MIA and the Knicks are clearly better than them, LMFAO.

Sandman
10-06-2014, 11:38 AM

uhhh.... how many business would stay open losing 144m a year?

Hawkeye15
10-06-2014, 05:15 PM
I just don't know how king keeps getting GM jobs. All you have to do is look at his track record to see that he ain't good at it.

I have no idea how a decent portion of NBA front office guys continue getting work.

HeatFan
10-06-2014, 06:42 PM
I have no idea how a decent portion of NBA front office guys continue getting work.

Teams that have stuck through hard times without so much personnel turnover have done well for themselves (e.g., Spurs, Heat)