PDA

View Full Version : NBA expected to change draft lottery odds, according to report



DemarDerozan
10-03-2014, 03:28 PM
I think this is a great proposal and should help keep this aspect of the game honest.

Under the terms of the new proposal, the league's four worst teams will have an equal 12 percent chance of earning the top pick, with the next two teams following with only slightly worse odds. The league would draw ping pong balls for the top six spots instead of the top three, so the worst team is guaranteed to pick no worse than seventh. The odds for the other selections would be as follows.

Proposed odds of No. 1 pick for teams 7-10: 8.5%, 7%, 5.5 %, 4%. All have 13%-plus shot at top-3.

Four teams w/ best record would have, in order, 0.5%, 1%, 1.5%, 2.5% chance at No. 1 pick and better chance than today of moving into top-6.

Please limit complaints about not wanting to watch your team play mediocre ball for years. They should get a better GM and coach if that's the case.


http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/10/3/6902609/nba-draft-lottery-reform-2015-philadelphia-76ers-tank

2-ONE-5
10-03-2014, 03:42 PM
(This has nothing to do with me being a Sixers fan) I dont like it, it happpend to fast and it affects too much with future and protected picks that have been traded. Its not going to stop teams from trying to rebuild through the draft either.

IKnowHoops
10-03-2014, 03:58 PM
(This has nothing to do with me being a Sixers fan) I dont like it, it happpend to fast and it affects too much with future and protected picks that have been traded. Its not going to stop teams from trying to rebuild through the draft either.

Yeah, I don't like it either. I don't see this changing anything. And its also just not fair. If you want to do this, push it like 3-5 years out so that teams can prepare for it accordingly. Doing it over night just smells fishy and looks bad to me.

GeoBloto
10-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Suck it sixers. Commissioner Silver is tired of your bull ****.

xbrackattackx
10-03-2014, 04:54 PM
I think it's cool how they are rewarding good management and building, by letting the top four teams have a chance at a high pick as well.

hugepatsfan
10-03-2014, 05:14 PM
I like that it will discourage 25 win teams from trying to be 20 win teams for lottery reasons. I don't like how it encourages mid-lottery teams to go backwards instead of forward.

DemarDerozan
10-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I don't like it either. I don't see this changing anything. And its also just not fair. If you want to do this, push it like 3-5 years out so that teams can prepare for it accordingly. Doing it over night just smells fishy and looks bad to me.

I think it's perfectly fair. I can somewhat understand small market teams bottoming out for high draft picks... Because they don't have the means to bring in superstar free agents. What pisses me off is when I see top market teams like Boston, NYK, and Philly tanking. They have the resources to build other ways and instead tank out.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-03-2014, 05:43 PM
So how is this going to stop tanking? This isn't going to force the Bucks or 76ers of the league to win a few games.

Also happening too fast.

And if teams are tanking now and still not getting the 1st overall pick with 25% chance, was there ever really a problem with teams abusing the system. There's a 75% chance the that the worst team doesn't get #1 pick.

And OMG imagine all the conspiracies if a contending team gets a mid to late lottery pick from a trade and get the first overall.

Shammyguy3
10-03-2014, 05:48 PM
So how is this going to stop tanking? This isn't going to force the Bucks or 76ers of the league to win a few games.

Also happening too fast.

And if teams are tanking now and still not getting the 1st overall pick with 25% chance, was there ever really a problem with teams abusing the system. There's a 75% chance the that the worst team doesn't get #1 pick.

And OMG imagine all the conspiracies if a contending team gets a mid to late lottery pick from a trade and get the first overall.

I'm more on this line of thinking. The odds needed some trimming but idk if this was the amount of trimming needed

abe_froman
10-03-2014, 05:54 PM
eh,the conspiracy nuts will still claim its rigged and that it needs reform.i really dont see the purpose of this.

Kaner
10-03-2014, 06:11 PM
eh,the conspiracy nuts will still claim its rigged and that it needs reform.i really dont see the purpose of this.

So that when Philly's gm plan succeeds another team won't have the incentive to go that far and follow the extreme formula.

MrfadeawayJB
10-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Yes pls

True Sports Fan
10-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Personally I don't like it. I think some teams really do need the help. But the NBA should punish teams outright tanking, for example move their pick down three spots or just outright veto moves that are blatantly tanking. But if a team is trying to build for a future such as trading for solid prospects/picks that should be somewhat of a case to case basis.

True Sports Fan
10-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Mistook the #'s posted as the #'s for the worst record teams. What odds would the top 4 or w/e get?

Meangene23
10-03-2014, 07:04 PM
This is all so dumb. The biggest issue with the lottery is that Cleveland keeps winning it.

The fact that they're trying to enact it THIS season shows how much of it is just petty jealousy of the Sixers by the other owners

Munkeysuit
10-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Hmmmm....It seems legit

mike_noodles
10-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I like it. As a fan of a team that has been ****ed by the NBA draft changes on two separate occasions, the rest of you can suck it.

TheIlladelph16
10-03-2014, 07:23 PM
I don't mind the changes. It's BS if it's implemented next season though. Give teams time to adjust their strategy accordingly and then implement it 3 years from now.

Dade County
10-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Anything that is left up to odds (perception) can be an orchestrated scam.
Just because we don't know how they do it, doesn't mean they are not playing everyone.

They need to give the team with the worst record the 1st pick, until the league can come up with a better way then this ping pong ball ********.

Or change the NBA rules and the structure of the game, so one super star player can't have so much of an impact on a franchise. Maybe they can start off by having Refs answer reporters questions after each game, just like the coaches and players; there would be a monitor next to the Ref & as the reporters are asking them questions the play in question would be playing right next to them... Put them on the spot, that should cut down on these awful foul calls and the super star foul calls that Jordan & Stern created.

WITZ
10-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Anything that is left up to odds (perception) can be an orchestrated scam.
Just because we don't know how they do it, doesn't mean they are not playing everyone.

They need to give the team with the worst record the 1st pick, until the league can come up with a better way then this ping pong ball ********.

Or change the NBA rules and the structure of the game, so one super star player can't have so much of an impact on a franchise. Maybe they can start off by having Refs answer reporters questions after each game, just like the coaches and players; there would be a monitor next to the Ref & as the reporters are asking them questions the play in question would be playing right next to them... Put them on the spot, that should cut down on these awful foul calls and the super star foul calls that Jordan & Stern created.

Did you not see the 76ers epic tank job ,now imagine the worst team was guaranteed the number one pick that would take tanking to another whole level talking multiple D-league players starting on a nba team type of bad :laugh2:

Dade County
10-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Did you not see the 76ers epic tank job ,now imagine the worst team was guaranteed the number one pick that would take tanking to another whole level talking multiple D-league players starting on a nba team type of bad :laugh2:

Just in case you skipped right through it... BUt you do have it boded, I wonder sometime.





They need to give the team with the worst record the 1st pick, until the league can come up with a better way then this ping pong ball ********.
.

WITZ
10-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Just in case you skipped right through it... BUt you do have it boded, I wonder sometime.

Naw i saw that lol but rewarding the worst team straight up will only end badly in terms of tanking even if it is until short term.

TheIlladelph16
10-03-2014, 11:28 PM
I do find it funny how riled up people get over the Sixers current strategy as if they are the first team to do anything like this. Sacrificing short term for a much higher potential payoff is a sound strategy when your a perennial first round exit in the playoffs.

dhopisthename
10-04-2014, 12:13 AM
this won't cure tanking. teams like the 76ers will still tank to get the 4th pick. the only real way to stop tanking would be to make all the lotto picks have equal value and every pick be picked not like they way it is today where the top get picked. However that would just encourage fringe playoff teams to tank.

Jeffy25
10-04-2014, 12:27 AM
I still think the best way to fix this entire issue is to have a true development league (D-league)

One that can allow players a true chance to be developed, and it work more like baseball's minor league system.

But the talent has to be at a level where you aren't at level better than D-league players when you leave college, and I don't know if that's possible.

5ass
10-04-2014, 12:31 AM
As a magic fan :up:
As an NBA fan, I think this is good for the league. Otherwise Philly is setting a bad trend. It might be ok now, but in 5 years when half the league is tanking its going to be ****. Better kill the process now. I don't agree with sixers fans saying the teams need to be prepared for it. Its the management's decision to tank again next season, everyone knew changing the lottery system was a huge possibility.

Meangene23
10-04-2014, 04:32 AM
Hinkie tore down a flawed team. He is rebuilding it by drafting the best player available every year, even if they have some short term injury concerns, or are otherwise unavailable. They hired a coach well-known and respected for his player development skills. They are PLAYING their young guys, so they get experience, instead of sitting behind veterans that have no future on the team. They are building a brand new practice facility that will be the largest in the NBA.

The Sixers are doing it the right way. There is so much more to the plan than "LOL lets suck and get good playerzzz," but the NBA establishment doesn't like it, so here we are.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-04-2014, 08:44 AM
So how is this going to stop tanking? This isn't going to force the Bucks or 76ers of the league to win a few games.

Also happening too fast.

And if teams are tanking now and still not getting the 1st overall pick with 25% chance, was there ever really a problem with teams abusing the system. There's a 75% chance the that the worst team doesn't get #1 pick.

And OMG imagine all the conspiracies if a contending team gets a mid to late lottery pick from a trade and get the first overall.

Don't be putting the Bucks in the same sentence as 76ers. Bucks had the most injuries in the league. Also Bucks had the most played over time games. We weren't flat out purging the roster and losing by 30 every night like 76ers.

Played games:

Sanders 23
Ersan 55
Mayo 52
Henson 70
Butler 34
Zaza 53
Wolters 58
Udoh 42
Knight 72
Ridnour 36
Giannis 77
Delfino 0
Raduljica 48

Only 4 players with 70+ games played. Middleton was only player to play all 82 games. There's even a quote of Sanders saying him and Henson only been on the court together less then 60 minutes combined for entire season for twin towers. Bucks had early injuries to the point when regular season started rookie Wolters had to start cause Knight and Ridnour were hurt. Bucks started out season 2-2. Also losing top 3 paint protector in Sanders you know its gonna be a long season.

mike_noodles
10-04-2014, 09:15 AM
I still think the best way to fix this entire issue is to have a true development league (D-league)

One that can allow players a true chance to be developed, and it work more like baseball's minor league system.

But the talent has to be at a level where you aren't at level better than D-league players when you leave college, and I don't know if that's possible.

I agree with you. I'd like to see another round added to the draft and more focus put on developing young guys.

jericho
10-04-2014, 09:53 AM
I dont like it. It seems like increased odds for the league to be able to rig the draft more easily. Besides the draft was made to help the bad teams become good. I know you all don't like this but i think its better just to get the lottery out and let the worst teams get the picks from worst record to best. All teams are gonna tank anyways and Phillly ain't the first one to do this or did you guys forget OKC a few years back, golden state did it 2 and so many other teams.

hugepatsfan
10-04-2014, 09:55 AM
I do find it funny how riled up people get over the Sixers current strategy as if they are the first team to do anything like this. Sacrificing short term for a much higher potential payoff is a sound strategy when your a perennial first round exit in the playoffs.

No one is saying what PHI doing isn't a sound strategy for them individually. However, many of us believe in the NBA that having teams tanking to that extent is bad for the overall quality of the league. It's one thing to to be rebuilding but I think what PHI is doing has gone way beyond the level of doing so where you still maintain the integrity of the outcomes of their games. The team they have on the court is a complete joke and basically makes a mockery of the games they play in. It's 100% the smartest thing for them to do themselves, but the purpose of a commissioner and structured league is to create a system that's best for the game. Creating a system where teams are discouraged from doing things like PHI is doing make for a better product league-wide.

JWO35
10-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Just do it like the NFL does it...

TheIlladelph16
10-04-2014, 12:02 PM
No one is saying what PHI doing isn't a sound strategy for them individually. However, many of us believe in the NBA that having teams tanking to that extent is bad for the overall quality of the league. It's one thing to to be rebuilding but I think what PHI is doing has gone way beyond the level of doing so where you still maintain the integrity of the outcomes of their games. The team they have on the court is a complete joke and basically makes a mockery of the games they play in. It's 100% the smartest thing for them to do themselves, but the purpose of a commissioner and structured league is to create a system that's best for the game. Creating a system where teams are discouraged from doing things like PHI is doing make for a better product league-wide.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on that. The changes are fine with me. I only have two problems with the current discussion around it:

1) it should not be implemented next year... Teams have built their teams and current strategy around the rules in place. If changes are going to made it should be done with enough time for teams to prepare for.

2) Tanking is not unique to the Sixers which a lot of people act like is the case. Plenty of other teams have done it. Heck Duncan wouldn't be on the Spurs if it weren't for the team purposely putting themselves in the position to draft him. The Sixers still weren't the worst team last year despite how big of a joke their roster supposedly is. I don't know if the Bucks tanked on purpose but it's pretty pathetic that they were somehow worse than a team that was doing so.

MagicBucsSox
10-04-2014, 12:52 PM
I
I don't necessarily disagree with you on that. The changes are fine with me. I only have two problems with the current discussion around it:

1) it should not be implemented next year... Teams have built their teams and current strategy around the rules in place. If changes are going to made it should be done with enough time for teams to prepare for.

2) Tanking is not unique to the Sixers which a lot of people act like is the case. Plenty of other teams have done it. Heck Duncan wouldn't be on the Spurs if it weren't for the team purposely putting themselves in the position to draft him. The Sixers still weren't the worst team last year despite how big of a joke their roster supposedly is. I don't know if the Bucks tanked on purpose but it's pretty pathetic that they were somehow worse than a team that was doing so.
The Spurs didn't tank. They actually had respectable names on the floor. Yall got D-Leaguers lol. And keep drafting injured players. Don't spend money, and make deliberate bad trades. NBA is making an example of the 76ers because it's not milwaukee, Charlotte, orlando, Okc or even Billings Montana. It's a big major damn market and the owners are pissed there's no money generating in the city.

2-ONE-5
10-04-2014, 02:17 PM
none of that is really true though. We started the ROY, the rookie 3pt% leader, and our 6th man proved to be one of the better ones in the league for a guard and we might just see this years ROY on the floor as well. Its not like we are drafting injured players on purpose and hope they never play. Noel and Embiid were the best 2 players in their drafts and both we be on the court together next year. We also added Sims last year in the Hawes deal who is a million times better defending the paint and rebounding.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-04-2014, 03:18 PM
So now instead of the worst team getting as low as the 4th best pick, the odds are now down to 7th.

TheIlladelph16
10-04-2014, 04:30 PM
I
The Spurs didn't tank. They actually had respectable names on the floor. Yall got D-Leaguers lol. And keep drafting injured players. Don't spend money, and make deliberate bad trades. NBA is making an example of the 76ers because it's not milwaukee, Charlotte, orlando, Okc or even Billings Montana. It's a big major damn market and the owners are pissed there's no money generating in the city.

Those respectable names totaled 20 wins that season. Maybe not as respectable as you remember. They certainly had injuries, but then held Robinson out to ensure that they'd have have the best shot at Duncan.

Those injured players are the two players with the highest ceilings in both of their respective draft classes. They also drafted the reigning ROY and best Euro prospect. I'd love to hear what bad trades they made with the current regime as well. Besides the Thad trade, who was walking at the end of the season, none have been bad by any means. Feel free to prove otherwise though. Also, why would they spend significant amounts of money on middling FAs? Until they have young, respectable pieces in place, no worthwhile FA will want to come to Philly.

The Thunder tanked for three straight years... I don't remember talking about how they were ruining the integrity of the game when that happened. The Sixers were strugging mightily with attendance and revenue long before this team has been in place. We are a major market that cares very little about the Sixers. This is a Football, Hockey, Baseball then Basketball town in that order. Its just how it is. I think the last line there is complete nonsense.

MagicBucsSox
10-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Those respectable names totaled 20 wins that season. Maybe not as respectable as you remember. They certainly had injuries, but then held Robinson out to ensure that they'd have have the best shot at Duncan.

Those injured players are the two players with the highest ceilings in both of their respective draft classes. They also drafted the reigning ROY and best Euro prospect. I'd love to hear what bad trades they made with the current regime as well. Besides the Thad trade, who was walking at the end of the season, none have been bad by any means. Feel free to prove otherwise though. Also, why would they spend significant amounts of money on middling FAs? Until they have young, respectable pieces in place, no worthwhile FA will want to come to Philly.

The Thunder tanked for three straight years... I don't remember talking about how they were ruining the integrity of the game when that happened. The Sixers were strugging mightily with attendance and revenue long before this team has been in place. We are a major market that cares very little about the Sixers. This is a Football, Hockey, Baseball then Basketball town in that order. Its just how it is. I think the last line there is complete nonsense.
Holiday trade(as of this second) is awful, Evan Turner deal was nearly for Joel Anthony& Udonis lol but Miami didn't wanna screw UH after he saved them millions. And all those trades for 2nd rd picks. If this were NFL it'd be genius. In the NBA it's retatded.

And the last line is straight from another NBA gm and logical business thinking

2-ONE-5
10-05-2014, 10:04 AM
the Holiday trade was brilliant, nothing less. Evan Turner proved his worth which is nothing, i mean he didnt get the full MLE from the Celtics.

MagicBucsSox
10-05-2014, 11:52 AM
the Holiday trade was brilliant, nothing less. Evan Turner proved his worth which is nothing, i mean he didnt get the full MLE from the Celtics.

I forgot, it's no point talking with Eagles fans. Lol none what so ever.

2-ONE-5
10-05-2014, 12:10 PM
thats bcuz you are wrong and you know it.

JEDean89
10-05-2014, 02:29 PM
I know this is great because Sixer's fans are freaking out. How would you feel if youre the OKC Thunder, and you had to share your revenue with the 76ers because of their ******** tanking?

I for one was appalled by the 76ers attitude last year. Of course, never mind that only 2 #1 picks have ever won the team that drafted them a chip. They both played for the Spurs. The 76ers should not be rewarded to trading away all their talent so they can try and hoarde the incoming talent to themselves. I will love it when they suck balls next year, then get the 6th pick, who busts. That is what they deserve. A 32 mill roster? What a bunch of ****ing *******s.

2-ONE-5
10-05-2014, 03:12 PM
what talent? we have more talent right now then we have had in along time. we have 2015 playoff team

CavsYanksDuke
10-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Potential is not the same as talent. You are delusional.

2-ONE-5
10-05-2014, 04:24 PM
again what talent did we have since Hinkie came in? Holiday was nice but MCW outplayed him this season as a rookie. If I asked you to give me a list of players that you think could net your a top 6 pick wold it include Holiday? Thad was good but Noel now steps into the 4 which will be a massive upgrade this year alone. So thats 2 talented players we moved but how talented is for you to judge i guess.

TheIlladelph16
10-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Holiday trade(as of this second) is awful, Evan Turner deal was nearly for Joel Anthony& Udonis lol but Miami didn't wanna screw UH after he saved them millions. And all those trades for 2nd rd picks. If this were NFL it'd be genius. In the NBA it's retatded.

And the last line is straight from another NBA gm and logical business thinking

I don't understand how you can possibly say the Jrue Holiday trade was awful. The Sixers were a team that were going to HAVE to do some type of rebuild regardless of Jrue presence. Jrue offered us the most in any possible return and as a result we have the highest ceiling player from his draft (albeit injured) and a pick that turned into Saric. You can't possibly evaluate the trade saying its either terrible or great at this point. We got a really valuable return for a guy who likely wasn't going to be a long term fit on the Sixers and the Hornets received a solid PG. Looks pretty even to me right now.

Turner was worth so much that he didn't even get the full MLE to play this season. If there was a worthwhile return to available for Turner last year, the Sixers likely would have taken it.

Second round picks are very valuable if you have talented people evaluating those picks. Sure, they aren't as important as the NFL's seconds, but there are plenty of really good players that were second round picks in the NBA.

Feel free to provide some quotes on the last line there. This was a team that was in turmoil before this rebuild started both financially and talent wise. I'm not sure how much less the Sixers really cost them then they have before this started.