PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question

alexander_37
10-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Say Lebron becomes a free agent next year because he opts out and the NBA institutes a new rules where teams can sign a player to a max money deal in cap space but pay him a signing bonus of whatever they want as a negotiating tactic but it had to be a 5 year max deal.

How much do you think teams would pay.

What is arguably the best player on earth worth to an NBA franchise.

jaydubb
10-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Well, some of the best NBA teams generate hundreds of million dollars in revenue each year.. A good portion of that is because of their best player, which in this case would be lebron.. I could still see a franchise pay lebron 50 mill per year and still have a good return on investment.

KnicksorBust
10-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Well, some of the best NBA teams generate hundreds of million dollars in revenue each year.. A good portion of that is because of their best player, which in this case would be lebron.. I could still see a franchise pay lebron 50 mill per year and still have a good return on investment.

Over the course of a 5 year deal we might be talking $150 million.

FlashBolt
10-02-2014, 08:31 PM
To be honest, I think LeBron is worth upwards of $50 million a year. What he does for a team is just unmatched.

mightybosstone
10-03-2014, 09:09 AM
I would look at it like profit sharing. Take whatever profit that team makes in a season and just give Lebron half of it. If a team makes $200 million in a year, Lebron gets $100 million. If they make only $20 million, he gets $10 million. But he's worth that much to a team. Or maybe a more fair route would be to look at a team's profits prior to Lebron's acquisition and following Lebron's acquisition and just give him like 60-70% of the difference.

valade16
10-03-2014, 10:23 AM
I think you can look to some of the monster deals MLB players are getting and extrapolate from there.

IndyRealist
10-03-2014, 11:46 AM
If the bonus does not count against the cap and it is a one time thing, I think you could safely say $50-100m depending on the market. I'm not sure anyone actually answered in terms of a signing bonus, like the OP stated.

Kaner
10-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Right now salary bonus is taken out of the total contract so if it's what Lebron wants then any team that could afford him would probably pay the Max contract up front so ~130m+, if it's completely separate from the actual contract then I think he'd get at least 80m and probably over a 100m in the 100-150 range. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw some really crazy offers from someone like Mikhail Prokorov where making money is an afterthought.

slashsnake
10-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Interesting... ESPN did a hypothetical on there and came up with 161 mil over 3 years.

They figured ticket sales (and 60% need a 3 year season ticket commitment, ie. if you bought season tickets last year for the Heat, you had to buy them for this year and next year too).

They added in additional playoff games vs. where the Heat were before (he got 70% of the credit for more of them).

Sponsorships (doubled with Lebron to be a heat sponsor and came with a 5 year commitment)

Jersey sponsorship which is very likely to be starting soon (how would you like your brand on Lebron's jersey vs. some other teams)

In house merchandise sales (outside arena merchandise is revenue shared)

Team brand value (figure Cavs lost 150 mil in value in 2 years after Lebron left)

Team TV deal.

So... figure he's worth 55 mil a year,

With a 130 mil 5 year max, that makes it about a 145 mil signing bonus.

tredigs
10-05-2014, 02:23 AM
It's interesting because we know what the best of Lebron is. We know that he's one of the top 10 best players of all time, but we also know that he's not guaranteed to show up as a superstar in the Finals. We also know that he's past his prime physically. He's also a media juggernaut and will garner a team more attention than any other by default.

So tough to say without being entrenched in the business, but I'd guess 45 mil a year for 5 years would be a fair salary.