PDA

View Full Version : What is Klay Thompson worth?

JasonJohnHorn
10-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Klay Thompson is another guy up for an extension this year. What's he worth?

I'd pay whatever the max is for him to be honest. Which I think works out to about 12 mil per by the final year of the extension. I do NOT want to break up this core if I am GSW, especially after they skipped on the Love trade to keep Klay.

What would you shell out for this kid?

Redrum187
10-02-2014, 07:28 PM
I'd pay him the max as well.

mightybosstone
10-02-2014, 07:40 PM
I feel like we had this thread already at least once. But as I've said before, I think the market has dictated that Thompson is worth the max as he's roughly a similar talent as guys like Hayward and Parsons. However, if I were an NBA GM, I would not pay him a four or five year max deal if he plays at the same level this year as he played last season. I think paying really good players like they're great players is a recipe for failure for NBA franchises. Granted, Thompson is young, so his max deal is substantially less than that of a veteran, but I'd still much rather deal Thompson at the trade deadline to the highest bidder than pay him $15+ million a year.

Six-8-TheWizard
10-02-2014, 07:41 PM
If he goes to restricted free agency I'm matching anything 12 and under without thinking if. Im the Warriors and honestly if he signs a Gordon Hayward type deal I think they gotta match that too. It would be a huge blow to that team if they lost him.

For the record I think he's worth around 12 but his market value will likely be higher especially as a RFA

abe_froman
10-02-2014, 07:44 PM
i'll say about 13-16 per

FlashBolt
10-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Just cause others are getting the max doesn't justify Thompson being the max. I like to judge their worth based on James/Durant/CP3 being the truly max players while tier 2 would be Dwight, Melo, James Harden, Westbrook, Curry. Tier 3 would be Wade, Parsons, Thompson, Irving. I'd say he's a $10 million player.

IKnowHoops
10-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Klay Thompson is another guy up for an extension this year. What's he worth?

I'd pay whatever the max is for him to be honest. Which I think works out to about 12 mil per by the final year of the extension. I do NOT want to break up this core if I am GSW, especially after they skipped on the Love trade to keep Klay.

What would you shell out for this kid?

As far as being objective, Korver was 3rd in WAR last season behind only Harden and Dragic at SG. 5th in RPM, and 12th in DRPM (in spite of being "slowest player in the league). For reference, that's well ahead of God awful guys like Harden, and still ahead of Beal, Stephenson and Thompson (whose d gets overrated IMO).

But don't let that stop you from making baseless assertions.

Well according to this guy he's not worth more than Korver

ManningToTyree
10-02-2014, 08:41 PM
I could see him getting 14-16 a year on the open market. He's an improving player who is already good at a thin position league wide.

THE MTL
10-02-2014, 08:46 PM
He's getting the max. His combination of defense and shooting is rare and he's a real SG too. The market has dictated that Bledsoe, Parsons, Haywood, get 15-16 mil per year and Klay is arguably better than all of those guys.

I thought there was a lock out to prevent these second tier guys from getting the crazy deals but 3 years later and we're back right where we left off. And it was the small markets who caused this

WITZ
10-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Hes getting the max, If not from th Warriors than from someone else.

Dade County
10-02-2014, 09:37 PM
I feel like we had this thread already at least once. But as I've said before, I think the market has dictated that Thompson is worth the max as he's roughly a similar talent as guys like Hayward and Parsons. However, if I were an NBA GM, I would not pay him a four or five year max deal if he plays at the same level this year as he played last season. I think paying really good players like they're great players is a recipe for failure for NBA franchises. Granted, Thompson is young, so his max deal is substantially less than that of a veteran, but I'd still much rather deal Thompson at the trade deadline to the highest bidder than pay him $15+ million a year.

Maybe a 3 yr contract

Just cause others are getting the max doesn't justify Thompson being the max. I like to judge their worth based on James/Durant/CP3 being the truly max players while tier 2 would be Dwight, Melo, James Harden, Westbrook, Curry. Tier 3 would be Wade, Parsons, Thompson, Irving. I'd say he's a $10 million player.

I was thinking 10mil too... And keep Wade out of your 3 Tier list.

Munkeysuit
10-02-2014, 10:01 PM
I'd let the market determine his worth and see if I am willing to match it, waiting till the last minute does a few different things, one of them allows Klay to be paid every penny of what he's worth and the other will allow a variety of different offers/trades to unfold.
If you want my honest opinion a dollar amount or what he's worth now? it wouldn't be as much as I think it would be at the end of this season as I expect him to break out this season as a bonafide leader of the team.

Tony_Starks
10-03-2014, 01:18 AM
I'd max him out now before the new TV deal. If he never makes a lick of improvement he's still a dead eye shooter that won't disrupt your offense and actually goes down and defends on the other end. AND I'm fairly sure he will improve.

Max him now, will seem like a bargain later. If GS wants to grow into a contender the best backcourt in the league needs to be locked up for years.

Goose17
10-03-2014, 03:00 AM
Just cause others are getting the max doesn't justify Thompson being the max.

Actually, it sort of does. I mean the market dictates what you're worth, if guys of the same caliber or less are getting X amount then your agent simply points to that and says "Look, this is what he's worth" I'll bet you anything you want that somebody gives him that money.

Market dictates worth not GMs. A precedent has been set by guys like Parsons and Hayward, not to mention the reluctance to trade him for a guy who is a max player (Love). All of this will be enough to convince people he's worth the max.

likemystylez
10-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Actually, it sort of does. I mean the market dictates what you're worth, if guys of the same caliber or less are getting X amount then your agent simply points to that and says "Look, this is what he's worth" I'll bet you anything you want that somebody gives him that money.

Market dictates worth not GMs. A precedent has been set by guys like Parsons and Hayward, not to mention the reluctance to trade him for a guy who is a max player (Love). All of this will be enough to convince people he's worth the max.

Thats partially true, but different teams need to play different players different amounts. Obviously if the player is an MVP candidate- hes probably going to get a max from any team- but if hes a 2nd or 3rd tier star- the top front offices wont offer him the max. LOL- I dont think the spurs would have offered hayward a max deal. Partially because greg papa could pull an average d league player and teach him the system and hed be just as good as hayward.

It all depends if winning is a big deal to klay and if he really wants to be a warrior. If he wants to go to the bucks or the 76ers and lose for the rest of his career- then he may get a max deal. but if he wants to be on a contender like the thunder, cavs, clippers, bulls etc. he probably wouldnt get a max deal.

tr3ymill3r
10-03-2014, 10:13 AM
If Dallas is going to overpay Parsons at $15 million, then Klay should get at least that if not $1-$2 million more.

likemystylez
10-03-2014, 10:28 AM
If Dallas is going to overpay Parsons at $15 million, then Klay should get at least that if not $1-$2 million more.

maybe- but they also have mark cuban there.

I think the warriors should wait though- because if parsons turns out to be anything less than a top 15 player in the nba next yr- that contract is questionable. SO next year when everyone sees that the hayward and parsons deals were horrible and bledsoe is milking an injury for half the season again- people will try to avoid these deals int he same way that teams didnt run out and try to get themselves into eddie curry deals after they saw it wasnt worth it

D-Leethal
10-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Parsons contract at 3 years isn't that bad. They overpaid yes, but its not long term 5-6 years and they are pretty much going "all in" with this cast + vets for Dirk's last run. Giving him 2-3M less wasn't getting them anyone worthwhile to put them over the hump.

D-Leethal
10-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Klay will get near the max. Is he a max player? No, but guys are getting max contracts all over the place. The days of max money being reserved for top 10-15 superstars is over. Is Hayward is getting the max, Klay will get the max. Its not overpaid if the market dictates the value.

Goose17
10-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Klay will get near the max. Is he a max player? No, but guys are getting max contracts all over the place. The days of max money being reserved for top 10-15 superstars is over. Is Hayward is getting the max, Klay will get the max. Its not overpaid if the market dictates the value.

I agree with all of the above^

Darren Farris
10-03-2014, 01:34 PM
With the going rate of the NBA player today, I'd say about 9 million per year. What Chandler Parsons makes has nothing to do with what another player should make. Cause Tim Duncan makes 10 million. Also Tony Parker makes about 12 million is I'm not mistaken. Is Thompson as good a player or talent as Tony Parker?

Sadds The Gr8
10-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Anything over 11m for him Is overpay

HeatFan
10-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Parsons contract at 3 years isn't that bad. They overpaid yes, but its not long term 5-6 years and they are pretty much going "all in" with this cast + vets for Dirk's last run. Giving him 2-3M less wasn't getting them anyone worthwhile to put them over the hump.

Sounds logical.

Saddletramp
10-03-2014, 06:58 PM
With the going rate of the NBA player today, I'd say about 9 million per year. What Chandler Parsons makes has nothing to do with what another player should make. Cause Tim Duncan makes 10 million. Also Tony Parker makes about 12 million is I'm not mistaken. Is Thompson as good a player or talent as Tony Parker?

Free agency doesn't work that way, though. Especially restricted free agency.