PDA

View Full Version : First three coaches to be axed this season...

HeatFan
10-01-2014, 07:33 PM
We've talked a lot about players, backcourt/frontcourt combos, and predictions. However, we don't talk much about coaches and what to expect. All professional major sports seem to have constant coaching changes. Let's see what you guys think. My guess is that:

1. Frank Vogel could be out (just because they seem to be rebuilding and he might be a scape goat, even though the George injury should justify their likely dropoff this season).
2. Scott Brooks if the THunder start slow. I think he was already on the hot seat after under achieving (even with the injuries).
3. Kevin McHale - too good a roster to finish mediocre again.

poleandreel
10-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Zero chance brooks is out during the season. Presti doesn't operate that way

likemystylez
10-01-2014, 07:50 PM
actually- the rockets lost parsons and a lot of their depth. They arent that great of a roster- esp if howard or harden go down at any point.The top tier teams in the west are not gonna be easy wins for the rockets.

Realistic coaches to be canned

Mike malone in Sacramento- the thinking will be that with 2 members- there is no way he should finish under .500 and the kings are gonna win about 34 games this year.

Brian Shaw with the nuggets- they were a top 3 team in the west before shaw came. Is it acceptable to fall further into the lotto

Scott Brooks- Front office wants to compete for a title- Brooks took a lot of the heat unfairly last season when they lost in the conference finals

Very rarely is a coach in an ideal situation when the team decides to fire him. Its likely to be unfair in a lot of different ways and the coach is used as a scapegoat. Its part of the business- and unfortunately for the vast majority of coaches- its in the cards at some point

Tony_Starks
10-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Kevin McHale
Kevin McHale
Kevin McHale

(Even though I don't think it's his fault with this flawed roster)

JEDean89
I have the Rockets finishing 7th or lower, maybe missing the playoffs. They just have absolutely 0 depth.

THE MTL
Wouldnt it be great if it was jason kidd

Kings Faithful
10-01-2014, 08:53 PM
actually- the rockets lost parsons and a lot of their depth. They arent that great of a roster- esp if howard or harden go down at any point.The top tier teams in the west are not gonna be easy wins for the rockets.

Mike malone in Sacramento- the thinking will be that with 2 members- there is no way he should finish under .500 and the kings are gonna win about 34 games this year.

Brian Shaw with the nuggets- they were a top 3 team in the west before shaw came. Is it acceptable to fall further into the lotto

Scott Brooks- Front office wants to compete for a title- Brooks took a lot of the heat unfairly last season when they lost in the conference finals

Very rarely is a coach in an ideal situation when the team decides to fire him. Its likely to be unfair in a lot of different ways and the coach is used as a scapegoat. Its part of the business- and unfortunately for the vast majority of coaches- its in the cards at some point

I might be a homer but Mike Malone is the best coach we've had since Rick Adelman, there not much that could happen that could get him fired this season.

TheGame
10-01-2014, 09:00 PM
I would think that Rick Carlisle is the safest coach in the NBA. He could probably put up another 42 and 40 season with this roster and get a contract extension.

TheGame
10-01-2014, 09:03 PM
I see Thibs being moved out and Orlando Coach who ever that is. Also Denvers coach Brian Shaw.

I see Orlando struggling to compete yet again.

mightybosstone
10-01-2014, 10:36 PM
I have the Rockets finishing 7th or lower, maybe missing the playoffs. They just have absolutely 0 depth.

This is just not true. I actually think they're deeper than they were last year.

mightybosstone
10-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Anyone suggesting McHale will get fired first is being pretty dense. Coaches don't get fired mid-season if their team is winning games. Say what you will about the Rockets, but even the most pessimistic NBA fan wouldn't think the Rockets were a sub .500 team this year. Coaches get fired when their team sucks. Even if McHale is a mediocre coach, he's hardly the most likely candidate to get fired early in the season. Pull your heads out of your *****.

5ass
10-01-2014, 10:56 PM
I see Thibs being moved out and Orlando Coach who ever that is. Also Denvers coach Brian Shaw.

The magic don't really have high expectations for the team this season. You say they'll struggle to compete. I'm not sure, so many question marks we can go anywhere from 25-35 wins. I personally think they'll compete for the 8th seed and maybe end up like 5 or so wins away. I agree its a big year for Vaughn, and he has a lot to prove. The only reason I like him is because I didn't expect him to focus on winning games the last two years. I just wanted the coaching and training staff to develop the players and improve their games. They did.

Cal827
10-01-2014, 11:26 PM
I would think Monty Williams is on the hot seat right now. Although he's been on the unfortunate end of bad injuries, his record hasn't exactly been good in the tough West. He has Davis, who's very close to a top 5-10 guy if he isn't there already, Holiday who's a pretty good PG, as well as a decent starting 5 (especially now that Asik is there), with some very good players coming off the bench in Ryan Anderson and Tyreke Evans (well he could start on that team too). If they struggle out the gate again, I can see Williams being let go.

I think McHale would be safe from early struggles, but if it persists (like they aren't really taking off near the AS break), then I can see them also trying to make a steadfast move. A team with the best SG in the league, best C in the league is going to be expected to be such, which could puts tons of pressure on the FO. Although, I think that the team might need another off season to make adjustments to cement themselves as a yearly Western Conference Contender (I don't think Terry will make up for Parson lol, but of course they would have needed a little more regardless) , the Front office might get scared.

I think that Kerr or Fisher might also be at risk if they are struggling at around mid season. Mainly Kerr, as Fisher is essentially Phil Jackson's decision. The likely way Fisher is removed is if Jackson comes back down to coach himself lol

I think that there's a good chance Brooks isn't the coach of OKC next season, but whether or not he is is completely dependent on what happens in the playoffs. If they don't get past at least the second round, then he's gone. Depending on who they lose to in the WCF (if they make it, and if they lose), he could get canned to. If it's a loss to the Spurs, they FO might just chalk it up to that legendary roster build up. If the Spurs finally show some cracks, and they end up losing to a team like the Clippers (I think that they would be their biggest risk this year) or Warriors, then they might make a desperation move to try and retain Durant (and avoid falling behind the talent that they were supposed to be ahead of in the Western Conference Ladder).

Shady66
10-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Yes lol that would be good

WITZ
10-02-2014, 12:20 AM
We've talked a lot about players, backcourt/frontcourt combos, and predictions. However, we don't talk much about coaches and what to expect. All professional major sports seem to have constant coaching changes. Let's see what you guys think. My guess is that:

1. Frank Vogel could be out (just because they seem to be rebuilding and he might be a scape goat, even though the George injury should justify their likely dropoff this season).
2. Scott Brooks if the THunder start slow. I think he was already on the hot seat after under achieving (even with the injuries).
3. Kevin McHale - too good a roster to finish mediocre again.

Agreed with 1st two ,but don't see McHale being on a short leash at all.

DoMeFavors
10-02-2014, 12:47 AM
Mike Malone or whatever that guys name is
The magic head coach Vaughn
and Dwane Casey after they clearly arent as good as last yr and they blame the coach first and then start trading players.

PacersForLife
10-02-2014, 02:33 AM
I think it's very unlikely that Vogel gets fired or is even put on the hot seat. The expectations are obviously quite lower this year, so unless they only win 20 games or less or something, I don't see it.

Redrum187
10-02-2014, 04:15 AM
Spurs coach, what is his name again?

MrfadeawayJB
10-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Sixers fire the coach and get a big name once they start accumulating talent

HeatFan
10-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Spurs coach, what is his name again?

I hope this happens to Pops so Miami can sign him. Along with whoever scouts for the spurs.

HeatFan
10-02-2014, 08:27 AM
I think it's very unlikely that Vogel gets fired or is even put on the hot seat. The expectations are obviously quite lower this year, so unless they only win 20 games or less or something, I don't see it.

I think he is the coach for now but he probably already has one foot outside the door. The reason is that even with a healthy lineup they couldn't win the East when their biggest advantage happened to be their rivals biggest weakness. Last year when Miami seemed the weakest in the past four years they played even worse than the prior year. Hibbert regressed, Lance couldn't be controlled and the tram just looked defeated before it ended. He was already in the hot seat to begin with. If George comes back strong and they get a new looked roster that can compete, Vogel won't be coaching them.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-02-2014, 08:30 AM

Bucks still paying Drew. Doubt we fire another coach also new owners said 3 to 5 year rebuild. I think Kidd has a free pass first few years.

PacersForLife
10-02-2014, 11:01 AM
I think he is the coach for now but he probably already has one foot outside the door. The reason is that even with a healthy lineup they couldn't win the East when their biggest advantage happened to be their rivals biggest weakness. Last year when Miami seemed the weakest in the past four years they played even worse than the prior year. Hibbert regressed, Lance couldn't be controlled and the tram just looked defeated before it ended. He was already in the hot seat to begin with. If George comes back strong and they get a new looked roster that can compete, Vogel won't be coaching them.
Well I do happen to follow the team quite closely and there is no sense of Vogel being on the hot seat or anything like that at all. The last few years have included a lot of growing pains for our young guys and young coach for that matter and I think the front office understands that. I don't think they'll give up on Frank unless something really unexpected happens.

king4day
10-02-2014, 11:35 AM
I think Vogel will get a pass this season with George down and no more Stephenson.

If Houston severely underachieves (bottom 4 in the west by midway), there's a chance he could go. I don't think anyone gets fired until after the season ends though.

kingsdelez24
10-02-2014, 11:36 AM
and Dwane Casey after they clearly arent as good as last yr and they blame the coach first and then start trading players.

Lionel Hollins

Lol

koreancabbage
10-02-2014, 01:18 PM

I don't believe they will can Casey during the season. and they might do better than last year after than horrific start.

ThePostUp
10-02-2014, 01:19 PM
The magic don't really have high expectations for the team this season. You say they'll struggle to compete. I'm not sure, so many question marks we can go anywhere from 25-35 wins. I personally think they'll compete for the 8th seed and maybe end up like 5 or so wins away. I agree its a big year for Vaughn, and he has a lot to prove. The only reason I like him is because I didn't expect him to focus on winning games the last two years. I just wanted the coaching and training staff to develop the players and improve their games. They did.

I watched them some last season and every game I watched they were not even remotely competitive. They also play the wrong style in the East. One easy way to get the advantage on teams in the East is to start a true center 7'0 260. Also, they need to run more and look for layups, and get back on defense. They just aren't doing very fundamental things.

I was actually expecting them to make the jump to 35ish wins last season, but I believe they only won like 20 games again in the worst east ever. Throw them back in the 80's or 90's. and they'd be lucky to win 5 games and I'm being serious. They looked awful last season. And most of thier young players are not "coming along".

Maybe Payton will help. Maybe the coaches will "give him the team" and let him be free.
Cause the coaches there aren't doing anything.

5ass
10-02-2014, 02:04 PM
I watched them some last season and every game I watched they were not even remotely competitive. They also play the wrong style in the East. One easy way to get the advantage on teams in the East is to start a true center 7'0 260. Also, they need to run more and look for layups, and get back on defense. They just aren't doing very fundamental things.

I was actually expecting them to make the jump to 35ish wins last season, but I believe they only won like 20 games again in the worst east ever. Throw them back in the 80's or 90's. and they'd be lucky to win 5 games and I'm being serious. They looked awful last season. And most of thier young players are not "coming along".

Maybe Payton will help. Maybe the coaches will "give him the team" and let him be free.
Cause the coaches there aren't doing anything.
How are the young players not "coming along". Vuc improved his defense, harkless his 3 point shooting, O'Quinn everything. Oladipo will also improve. Harris is the only player that didnt see major improvement last season because he wasn't fully healthy, I expect him to do great this year. The coach wasn't worried about winning games. We actually competed with a lot of good teams. We executed horribly in the 4th quarter. The magic are ready to make the jump this year IMO, and it won't be only because of Payton. Once this team comes together with all the defenses, toughness, depth and versatility they'll be great. They are going to run and play tough defense like you said.

Leftcoast_yg
10-02-2014, 11:03 PM
This is just not true. I actually think they're deeper than they were last year.

Lol thats the spirit.

mightybosstone
10-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Lol thats the spirit.

You don't have to agree with me, and for the casual NBA fan who DIDN'T watch 90% of the Rockets games last season and HASN'T been following every roster move insanely carefully all offseason, I wouldn't expect most people to understand this concept. But people forget that the Rockets front court last season was pretty much decimated by injuries and their bench wings were beyond atrocious.

Asik missed half of the season and was a distraction in most games he played. And Greg Smith missed damn near the entire season with injuries. Their best bench big last year for the majority of the season was Donatas Motiejunas, who is a year older and a year better. And they added Jeff Adrian, who was a sneaky great rotational player for Milwaukee last year, and Joey Dorsey, who spent the last 2-3 years dominating defensively for some of the best teams in Europe. Throw in the fact that Terrence Jones is a year older, and they're likely to get better, more consistent production out of their bigs this season than last year.

And their wings off the bench were an absolute train wreck. After the first month, the Omri Casspi experiemnt completely bombed. Casspi started off red hot, which made up for his defensive problems, but eventually his shot stopped falling and he was pretty much a well below average player on both ends of the floor for 80% of the season. Garcia wasn't any better, and he was probably their best bench wing. Then they added Hamilton, who was okay in spurts but could never be consistent. This year, they brought Garcia back, but also added a legitimate 3-point shooting vet in Jason Terry and one of the better European prospects in Popanikalou. The rookie, Nick Johnson, could also play a pretty solid role there.

The one area where they legitimately probably aren't as deep is at PG, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Canaan ended up producing at a similar level to Lin. He should at least be a much better 3-point shooter than Lin, which should be a major asset to the roster.

So, yes, I'm being genuine when I say that I think this team is deeper than last year's team. Outside of Asik and Lin, the Rockets bench was abysmal last season. Plus, Asik only played for half the season and he wasn't even himself for half of those games, so it's like he hardly helped at all. I feel much more confident about this bench going into this season than I did about the bench at the end of last year.

benny01
10-02-2014, 11:51 PM
2025. BOOM NAILED IT. goodbye

likemystylez
10-03-2014, 12:43 AM
I might be a homer but Mike Malone is the best coach we've had since Rick Adelman, there not much that could happen that could get him fired this season.

Ill go a step further. Being a warriors fan- ill confirm that malone is the best coach y'all have had since adelman. Unfortunately that aint sayin much.... LOL and he could still be fired

ohreally
10-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Bucks still paying Drew. Doubt we fire another coach also new owners said 3 to 5 year rebuild. I think Kidd has a free pass first few years.

Reasonable assumptions, but it is Kidd we're talking about here.

amak316
10-03-2014, 11:58 PM
I think McHale might have one of the safest jobs in the league. He is Moreys puppet and faithfully runs Morey's experiments into the depths of analytics.

It's not an accident that the Rockets shot chart looks substantially different than any other teams in the league despite not having a roster with tendencies and abilities that would lead to such a shot chart. Kevin McHale is no innovator, he's just happy someone will hire him.

They are many pieces away from being a legit contender and until they find those pieces Morey will keep McHale.

mightybosstone
10-04-2014, 08:51 AM
I think McHale might have one of the safest jobs in the league. He is Moreys puppet and faithfully runs Morey's experiments into the depths of analytics.

It's not an accident that the Rockets shot chart looks substantially different than any other teams in the league despite not having a roster with tendencies and abilities that would lead to such a shot chart. Kevin McHale is no innovator, he's just happy someone will hire him.
I actually agree with you that Morey likes keeping McHale because McHale can coach his team will still pushing Morey's tendencies to emphasize baskets at the rim or beyond the 3-point line. But I don't agree with you at all that Morey doesn't have a roster with the ability to score from those spots. Harden and Dwight are the perfect duo for what Morey is trying to achieve and then Morey went out of his way to get one of the best 3-point shooters in the league last season in Ariza. Even guys like Beverley, Motiejunas, Canaan, Terry and Dorsey fit that offensive scheme like a glove. Could they use more elite 3-point shooters? Sure, but they've got several really solid ones on the roster already.

They are many pieces away from being a legit contender and until they find those pieces Morey will keep McHale.
Many pieces? In Dwight's first year in Houston, the Rockets managed the 5th best record in the league and came one ridiculous 30-footer from probably going on to the second round of the playofffs. How are they "many pieces" away from being a legit contender?

True Sports Fan
10-04-2014, 10:07 AM

Nuggets were dealing with a ton of injuries last season. Not exactly easy to adjust when you are missing so many key components on your team.

Don't see Malone getting axed this year, however our owner did say this season is all about wins. I can realistically see us winning around 40 games. It just depends on how well we gel, how well McLemore and Nik develop, and if the Kings end up putting that TPE to use. I expect around a 30 game win season though

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Reasonable assumptions, but it is Kidd we're talking about here.

Probably paying Skiles and Drew. Also with new owners and rebuild. Kidd would have to do something crazy off the court like run someone over drunk driving or something to be fired.

HeatFan
10-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Probably paying Skiles and Drew. Also with new owners and rebuild. Kidd would have to do something crazy off the court like run someone over drunk driving or something to be fired.

Yeah that would be crazy. I wonder if they owe Charlie Weiss something too. He is owed from coaching contracts from every organization. wouldn't be surprised he's coached in the NBA too.

amak316
10-04-2014, 12:50 PM
I actually agree with you that Morey likes keeping McHale because McHale can coach his team will still pushing Morey's tendencies to emphasize baskets at the rim or beyond the 3-point line. But I don't agree with you at all that Morey doesn't have a roster with the ability to score from those spots. Harden and Dwight are the perfect duo for what Morey is trying to achieve and then Morey went out of his way to get one of the best 3-point shooters in the league last season in Ariza. Even guys like Beverley, Motiejunas, Canaan, Terry and Dorsey fit that offensive scheme like a glove. Could they use more elite 3-point shooters? Sure, but they've got several really solid ones on the roster already.

Many pieces? In Dwight's first year in Houston, the Rockets managed the 5th best record in the league and came one ridiculous 30-footer from probably going on to the second round of the playofffs. How are they "many pieces" away from being a legit contender?

I agree that this years roster is much better suited for Morey-ball. Last years roster was a solid 3 point shooting roster as well but was just saying that it wouldn't have happened naturally with that group.

Lin was a below avg 3pt shooter for a pg, Harden and Parsons seemed pretty average for their positions (haven't looked up stats), Jones/D-Mo weren't close to stretch 4s. Just was saying that it wasn't a shot chart that would happen without extreme focus on it by the coaching staff given that group of players. Morey was clearly making more than a few decisions that most coaches wouldn't be comfortable allowing the GM to make.

I shouldn't have said "many" pieces away, I'm not as down on the Rockets as most of PSD. I think Parsons and Ariza are nearly a wash as somewhere along the line Parsons got overhyped by forums maybe because he had the best contract in the league. If they landed someone like Bosh they would have been an instant contender. They are only one superstar away, but I'm not sure there will be many more opportunities in the Dwight/Harden window to find that 3rd legit superstar that also happens to compliment those two very well. I think they are a few really good role players away from taking the leap to contender status.

smith&wesson
10-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Blatt, because the cavs wont blame lbj if they dont win this up coming season.

lamzoka
10-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Dwayne Casey
Kevin Mchale
Brian Shaw

kingsdelez24
10-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Ariza was only ever good from 3 in the 09 playoffs, and last year

How is he all of a sudden some kind of dead-eye marksman?

mightybosstone
10-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Ariza was only ever good from 3 in the 09 playoffs, and last year

How is he all of a sudden some kind of dead-eye marksman?

He wasn't just good last season. He was top 20 in the league in percentage and 3-pointers made. And he shot 36.4% from beyond the arc the previous season, so it's not like this was some shocking improvement from a guy who has never been a decent perimeter shooter. Plus, it's not unusual at all for players to go from mediocre 3-point shooters to elite 3-point shooters later in their careers. There are have been plenty of examples of it in recent years.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-04-2014, 06:36 PM

Casey just signed a new contract.

Vinny642
10-04-2014, 06:42 PM
I can see Monty getting axed if the Pels dont play as well as they should.

effen5
10-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Pops rivers thibs

albertajaysfan
10-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Anyone suggesting McHale will get fired first is being pretty dense. Coaches don't get fired mid-season if their team is winning games. Say what you will about the Rockets, but even the most pessimistic NBA fan wouldn't think the Rockets were a sub .500 team this year. Coaches get fired when their team sucks. Even if McHale is a mediocre coach, he's hardly the most likely candidate to get fired early in the season. Pull your heads out of your *****.

Are you ever going to stop antagonizing people regarding the Rockets?

While I agree McHale isn't likely to get fired midseason you should heed your own recommendations.

albertajaysfan
10-04-2014, 07:09 PM
In terms of coaches who will likely get fired.

Vaughan in Orlando I could see. But at this point there actually appears to be few coaches on the hot seat at this point in time. Although hope springs eternal at this time of year in the NBA.

todu82
10-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Vogel
Brooks
Mchale

PurpleLynch
10-04-2014, 08:47 PM
It's hard to say,there are a lot of coaches who could be fired,but not in mid season imo.

Vogel
Vaughan
Brooks:he won't be cutted during the season for sure,but if he can't reach the Finals this year I could see him getting fired. Their two best players will be FA soon and Brooks seems to have no idea about the offense,he just lets Westy going berserk and overuses KD.

Kidd is out of question,he'll be granted a free pass this upcoming season.

McHale won't be fired unless he leads his team into a mediocre playoff run. I know the WC is very tough,but there are a lot of expectations for them.

mightybosstone
10-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Are you ever going to stop antagonizing people regarding the Rockets?

While I agree McHale isn't likely to get fired midseason you should heed your own recommendations.
I wasn't antagonizing anyone. I was responding to the many posters that were so quick to name McHale in this thread. Maybe I was a bit too abrasive with my response, but I do think people were being idiots. Do I think McHale is a great coach? No. I don't even think his job is that safe. But how often do you see a coach get fired on a winning basketball team? If McHale loses his job, it won't be in the middle of the season. It will be at the end of the season if the Rockets underwhelm in the playoffs again.

For McHale to lose his job mid-season, the Rockets would have to seriously underperform to the point where it's questionable that they'll make the playoffs or not. And there's absolutely no reason to believe that's going to happen at this point.

HeatFan
10-06-2014, 06:52 PM
I wasn't antagonizing anyone. I was responding to the many posters that were so quick to name McHale in this thread. Maybe I was a bit too abrasive with my response, but I do think people were being idiots. Do I think McHale is a great coach? No. I don't even think his job is that safe. But how often do you see a coach get fired on a winning basketball team? If McHale loses his job, it won't be in the middle of the season. It will be at the end of the season if the Rockets underwhelm in the playoffs again.

For McHale to lose his job mid-season, the Rockets would have to seriously underperform to the point where it's questionable that they'll make the playoffs or not. And there's absolutely no reason to believe that's going to happen at this point.

Happens all the time. Lionel Hollins did well with Memphis (didn't return), Stan Van Gundy did well with Miami (didn't return), Rick Carlisle did well with the Pistons (got axed), Mike Brown took Cleveland to conference finals and semifinals in consecutive years and got fired. Remember when people were calling for Spoelstra's head? Not that I think he is the best, but just to your point that even with good results, that may not be enough. Houston is spending some real cash and sometimes no matter what the reasons are, if things go wrong there has to be a scapegoat, and that is usually the coach.

mightybosstone
10-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Happens all the time. Lionel Hollins did well with Memphis (didn't return), Stan Van Gundy did well with Miami (didn't return), Rick Carlisle did well with the Pistons (got axed), Mike Brown took Cleveland to conference finals and semifinals in consecutive years and got fired. Remember when people were calling for Spoelstra's head? Not that I think he is the best, but just to your point that even with good results, that may not be enough. Houston is spending some real cash and sometimes no matter what the reasons are, if things go wrong there has to be a scapegoat, and that is usually the coach.
Okay, but you're totally missing my point. I'm not saying that it's out of the question that McHale could get fired AFTER the season. I'm saying that it's unlikely that he'll get fired DURING the season. How many of the coaches you just mentioned got fired in the middle of a season? Hollins, Brown and Carlisle all got fired after the season was over. Van Gundy got fired in the middle of the season, but those were pretty unusual circumstances as that Heat team was only 11-10 and Riley just wanted to step in and coach the team himself.

Coaches pretty much never get fired in the middle of the season if their team is playing good basketball. So unless the Rockets are just really underwhelming mid-season, McHale will be the head coach until the season is over.

Cal827
10-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Lol, nobody thinks Monty Williams? I guess I'm the only one.

HeatFan
10-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Okay, but you're totally missing my point. I'm not saying that it's out of the question that McHale could get fired AFTER the season. I'm saying that it's unlikely that he'll get fired DURING the season. How many of the coaches you just mentioned got fired in the middle of a season? Hollins, Brown and Carlisle all got fired after the season was over. Van Gundy got fired in the middle of the season, but those were pretty unusual circumstances as that Heat team was only 11-10 and Riley just wanted to step in and coach the team himself.

Coaches pretty much never get fired in the middle of the season if their team is playing good basketball. So unless the Rockets are just really underwhelming mid-season, McHale will be the head coach until the season is over.

Yeah I understand that you are not denying the possibility of him being fired. just that you think it would happen after year end, if it happens at all. But, let's assume HOU is below .500 at the Break (which I know its a long shot, but for argument sake) and someone like say, George Karl, expresses interest. You don't see them pulling the trigger, or at least thinking about it? And I do agree that the NBA doesn't fire high profile coaches that much during the season.

albertajaysfan
10-07-2014, 12:03 PM

Not disagreeing with your opinion that he is safe in season, barring a complete and totally epic failure. Just saying you don't need to be so abrasive to get your point across. I understand that people antagonize you as a Houston fan which I also think is uncalled for. The name calling seems unnecessary to get your point across. I actually think that if you refrained from such things people would respond better to your points because you generally have very solid ones. Ones that you present well through sound logic but can get lost when being abrasive. I also get the urge to be that way because some amazing things get posted on PSD no doubt.

And if some people want to bash you for supporting a team with a player they have a hate on for, that is their problem that you aren't obligated to take on in any way by sinking to their level. In hockey I am a Leafs fan so I know all about people giving you a hard time for the team you support. But I always get respect when I tell them it is the team I grew up cheering for and I am not going to be a bandwagon jumper just because they have sucked for most of the past 12 years. Not saying Houston sucks though to be clear.

albertajaysfan
10-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Lol, nobody thinks Monty Williams? I guess I'm the only one.

Never thought of that one but now that you bring it up I could see it. I think he is safe at least until the all star break because of all the injuries last season. But they need to be at least competing for the playoffs or else he is probably a goner I would think.

mightybosstone
10-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Not disagreeing with your opinion that he is safe in season, barring a complete and totally epic failure. Just saying you don't need to be so abrasive to get your point across. I understand that people antagonize you as a Houston fan which I also think is uncalled for. The name calling seems unnecessary to get your point across. I actually think that if you refrained from such things people would respond better to your points because you generally have very solid ones. Ones that you present well through sound logic but can get lost when being abrasive. I also get the urge to be that way because some amazing things get posted on PSD no doubt.

And if some people want to bash you for supporting a team with a player they have a hate on for, that is their problem that you aren't obligated to take on in any way by sinking to their level. In hockey I am a Leafs fan so I know all about people giving you a hard time for the team you support. But I always get respect when I tell them it is the team I grew up cheering for and I am not going to be a bandwagon jumper just because they have sucked for most of the past 12 years. Not saying Houston sucks though to be clear.

It's generally the same posters who bait and say the say the same things over and over again. And despite how abrasive some of the things I say may seem, I'm actually very rarely angry when I'm posting them. It's almost a reflex at this point. But to the posters who aren't baiting and want to have a legitimate conversation regarding the Rockets that happens to be negative, I have no problem with that. I rarely get that aggressive with them and any animosity I may have toward the Houston haters is very rarely every pointed in their direction.

HeatFan
10-07-2014, 02:44 PM
It's generally the same posters who bait and say the say the same things over and over again. And despite how abrasive some of the things I say may seem, I'm actually very rarely angry when I'm posting them. It's almost a reflex at this point. But to the posters who aren't baiting and want to have a legitimate conversation regarding the Rockets that happens to be negative, I have no problem with that. I rarely get that aggressive with them and any animosity I may have toward the Houston haters is very rarely every pointed in their direction.

I didn't take it the wrong way. We've backed up our arguments fairly well. You just happen to be a ROcket Fan and I'm not. I had the worse few years when Lebron came to Miami. Everyone assumed that I was a bandwagon fan, like mostly every other Heat fan was.

2-ONE-5
10-07-2014, 04:09 PM

theyre not really aiming to seriously compete, they are rebuilding and have good peices to do it with. although the Frye signing is still a head scratcher

2-ONE-5
10-07-2014, 04:13 PM

0 chance Brown gets fired. He is our coach of the future, these are his players to develop and win with when they are ready

albertajaysfan
10-07-2014, 05:14 PM

Fair enough. Like I said I feel for you being a Rockets fan because there is some bandwagon hate going on this offseason.

Let me put it to you this way. I have avoided having thoughtful discussions with you in the past because of the aggressive tone you use on occasion. I am glad to learn the context and will be open to a conversation in the future. Your direct answers to my questions reinforce that. Glad we could have this conversation.

To further it along how do you feel as a Rockets fan about McHale as coach? I honestly don't watch the Rockets much because I am not a huge fan of their players and only have so much time to watch basketball. My impression is that while not terrible he doesn't stand out and therefor probably isn't the best coach to lead a team to a championship.

albertajaysfan
10-07-2014, 05:15 PM
0 chance Brown gets fired. He is our coach of the future, these are his players to develop and win with when they are ready

I feel like he has at least 2 more years of security after this year. He seems like a solid teacher which is exactly what that team needs right now. Coaching continuity is a wise course of action when rebuilding in the manner the Sixers have chosen.

2-ONE-5
10-07-2014, 06:29 PM
he will def get all 4 years of his deal. we dont even expect to make a low playoff push til 2016 with an outside chance of 2015 but doubtful

mightybosstone
10-07-2014, 06:58 PM
To further it along how do you feel as a Rockets fan about McHale as coach? I honestly don't watch the Rockets much because I am not a huge fan of their players and only have so much time to watch basketball. My impression is that while not terrible he doesn't stand out and therefor probably isn't the best coach to lead a team to a championship.
McHale is hardly the worst coach in the league, but he's probably below average. He coaches his young guys well (especially young big men) and players tend to love him and his coaching style. I also like that he's willing to implement the strategy Morey has in place, because Morey specifically picked those personnel for a reason and he's proven that the strategy makes for a very efficient offense.

However, I don't think McHale is an exceptional defensive minded coach. And while I think his offenses work extremely well for 44-46 minutes a game, he's atrocious at calling plays in the final minutes of close games and far too willing to let Harden play iso basketball. I also think the guy is just too damn relaxed. I'd like to see him occasionally yell at guys for making dumb mistakes.

Can the Rockets win a championship with Kevin McHale as the coach? Sure. But they won't win because he's the coach. They'd win because the athletes played extremely well and in spite of some of his deficiencies as a coach.

FOBolous
10-08-2014, 01:23 AM
McHale please.

albertajaysfan
10-08-2014, 11:27 AM
McHale is hardly the worst coach in the league, but he's probably below average. He coaches his young guys well (especially young big men) and players tend to love him and his coaching style. I also like that he's willing to implement the strategy Morey has in place, because Morey specifically picked those personnel for a reason and he's proven that the strategy makes for a very efficient offense.

However, I don't think McHale is an exceptional defensive minded coach. And while I think his offenses work extremely well for 44-46 minutes a game, he's atrocious at calling plays in the final minutes of close games and far too willing to let Harden play iso basketball. I also think the guy is just too damn relaxed. I'd like to see him occasionally yell at guys for making dumb mistakes.

Can the Rockets win a championship with Kevin McHale as the coach? Sure. But they won't win because he's the coach. They'd win because the athletes played extremely well and in spite of some of his deficiencies as a coach.

Cool thanks for the insight. Seems to match up with what I have noticed. Although I wasn't sure if the defense was the coaching or personnel or a combination of the two.

mightybosstone
10-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Cool thanks for the insight. Seems to match up with what I have noticed. Although I wasn't sure if the defense was the coaching or personnel or a combination of the two.

I think the defensive problems are a combination of the two, but people also overlook the pace that the Rockets play. Sure, they give up a lot of a points and their perimeter defense was poor last year, but I believe they were also top 10 in opponents FG%. If you play at a fast pace, then teams are going to get more FGA and are going to score more points. But when you factor in pace, I'd say the Rockets were at least an average defensive team last season. With the additions of Ariza and some of the bench additions, I think they should be better on that end of the court this year.

PacersForLife
10-08-2014, 12:25 PM
For all of those saying Vogel, he just got a contract extension.

Snakeyestx
10-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Byron Scott in 10 games or less.... anyone? Anyone? :p

Tony_Starks
10-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Byron Scott in 10 games or less.... anyone? Anyone? :p

With Jim Buss in charge ordinarily I would say yes. But when I saw the way Magic, Worthy, and all the legends publicly supported him. He can't fire him, Scott is going to get a legit chance...

ghettosean
10-08-2014, 04:12 PM
I would think that Rick Carlisle is the safest coach in the NBA. He could probably put up another 42 and 40 season with this roster and get a contract extension.

Pop and Rivers are the safest... Carlisle is up there though.

ghettosean
10-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Pops rivers thibs

This... In that order!!!

Lol

HeatFan
10-27-2014, 07:03 PM
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/odds-say-rockets-kevin-mchale-will-be-1st-coach-fired-this-season-327207.html

New Article with link posted in PSD says that McHale will be the first.

HeatFan
10-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Kevin McHale (HOU) 7/4
Flip Saunders (MIN) 2/1
Monty Williams (NO) 4/1
Jason Kidd (MIL) 7/1
Scott Brooks (OKC) 8/1
Byron Scott (LAL) 10/1
Randy Wittman (WAS) 10/1
Dave Joerger (MEM) 10/1 -

Can't believe they already have Byron Scott on this list.

ThuglifeJ
10-27-2014, 07:41 PM
McHale easily. They need a scapegoat once they get exposed. again.

FriedTofuz
10-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Derrick Fisher
Scott Brooks
Kevin Mchale

JasonJohnHorn
10-27-2014, 09:13 PM
It won't be Frank Vogel... they just gave him an extension Bird loves that guy.

McHale is the talk about town, but so was Washington's coach last year.

I think most of the teams that are going to do badly are expecting to do badly.... unless a team grossly underachieves (ATL, POR, DEN), I wouldn't expect anybody to get fired.

The Pelicans need to come out of the gate strong, or they will have a new coach by Christmas. They've given him enough years to get that team on the right track.