PDA

View Full Version : NBA RD Playoffs Conf. Semi's (1) San Jose vs (4) Tijuana

Matter.
09-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Every summer, PSD holds a game where GM's re-draft players to see who creates the best team. This year, users from the site had to utilize their skills via draft, trades. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2014 NBA Re-Draft

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

San Jose has Homecourt Advantage.

San Jose

PG: Goran Dragic/Aaron Brooks
SG: Monta Ellis/Iman Shumpert
SF: Danilo Gallinari/Danny Granger
PF: Chris Bosh/Udonis Haslem
C: Omer Asik/ DeJuan Blair

vs

Tijuana

PG: Kyrie Irving | Kirk Hinrich
SG: Danny Green | Wayne Ellington
SF: Jimmy Butler | Richard Jefferson
PF: David West | J.J. Hickson
C: Brook Lopez | Ed Davis

Neither Team Sent in a Writeup :(.

Matter.
09-30-2014, 12:14 AM
Just a quick writeup

Dragic vs Irving is a toss-up.. both PG's know how to score But Dragic makes his teammates better compared to Irving as you could see in both team's success over the past season.

Ellis vs Green... Ellis averages 21ppg vs Green including playoff times so I do not fear Green shutting down Ellis as a option.

Butler vs Gallo is a toss-up as Gallo is a little bit more efficent then Butler.. but Butler is the better defender...

Bosh vs West, Bosh being a number 1 option and having the ball more has proven he can handle West and score 18-21 points on him.

Asik vs Lopez... What kind of player is Lopez with all the injuries.. Asik will give him a hard-time downlow and Lopez is not a great rebounder/defender to protect the rim when Dragic or Ellis Drive on him..

AI
09-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Will have a response later on today.

Redrum187
09-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Again "What kind of player is Lopez with all the injuries" could be said about Gallo. Both are assumed to be healthy, so this assumption benefits Tijuana more as Lopez is vital to their team's offense.

I don't see enough scoring on team Tijuana. I am leaning towards San Jose until I see a compelling argument.

AI
09-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Dragic vs Irving is a toss-up.. both PG's know how to score But Dragic makes his teammates better compared to Irving as you could see in both team's success over the past season.

It's easier for a team like PHX to have success with Dragic when they are a much more talented team overall. Kyrie was basically by himself and his supporting cast left a lot to be desired. Everybody on that PHX squad had a career year plus for most of the season Dragic had Bledsoe as his running mate, it's no wonder why Dragic had a breakout year. Insert Lebron on CLE and watch how Kyrie will have an even better season, his efficiency will skyrocket once teams can no longer single him out because he finally has a complete team with other options. Other teams could just strategize to stop Kyrie because nobody else on that CLE team could hurt them, that's not the case on Tijuana.

Green is a solid role player who can space the floor for Kyrie to attack the basket, both West and Lopez can run P&R with him, West can pop for mid-range shots and Lopez can roll to the basket and score in the paint. Kyrie has weapons and he will use them to his advantage. Kyrie's defense may not be above average currently, but he has two defenders at the starting 2/3 who are both significantly above average (one being elite) plus another solid defender off the bench in Kirk Hinrich to throw at Dragic/Ellis. Contrary to Tijuana, San Jose doesn't have anyone who can slow down Kyrie from scoring at will. Neither Dragic nor Ellis can guard Kyrie.

Ellis vs Green... Ellis averages 21ppg vs Green including playoff times so I do not fear Green shutting down Ellis as a option.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/ellismo01/gamelog/2014/#pgl_basic_playoffs::none

As you can see on the link above, Ellis did in fact score 20 PPG in the playoffs this past season, but he had to take 18 shots per game to get to that mark on 41% shooting from the field. We welcome this type of inefficiency.

Butler vs Gallo is a toss-up as Gallo is a little bit more efficent then Butler.. but Butler is the better defender...

Even if we consider Gallo being healthy for this matchup, he's going to match up against an elite defender in Jimmy. Butler did have a down offensive year, but that has a lot to do with the amount of minutes he was asked to play last year, nearly 38 minutes per game, that's insane.

With a more responsible amount of playing time, and a smaller role (3/D, cut to the basket, move without the ball, fastbreak, etc), I believe Jimmy will continue to improve on the offensive performance he gave during the 2012-2013 season.

Bosh vs West, Bosh being a number 1 option and having the ball more has proven he can handle West and score 18-21 points on him/

Bosh was spoon-fed wide open jumpers and shots during Lebron's tenure with the Heat. Now he will be a #1 option and teams will gameplan defensively to stop him instead of having to stop both Lebron and Wade as well, it's an entirely different dynamic. His usage rate will increase but his effiency will probably drop as well.
Also, West has also had his way during his matchups vs Bosh (keep in mind that SJ's defense is nowhere near as good as Miami's was):

2013-2014: 18 PPG, 7 REB, 51% FG%, .617 TS%, 112 ORtg
2012-2013: 23 PPG, 8 REB, 66% FG%, .733 TS%, 158 ORtg

Asik vs Lopez... What kind of player is Lopez with all the injuries.. Asik will give him a hard-time downlow and Lopez is not a great rebounder/defender to protect the rim when Dragic or Ellis Drive on him..

Health is assumed for this game, and even a Brook Lopez at 75% is a big advantage here as he's one of the top offensive C's in the game. I've used this example and I'll use it again - Joakim Noah is one of, if not the best, defensive C's in the NBA (much better than Asik) and Brook still destroyed him during last year's playoffs even though he was facing a stifling Chicago Bulls defense. San Jose's defense is nowhere near close to what Chicago had.

Brook averaged 22.3 PPG, 7.4 REB, 3.0 BLK, 47% FG%, 25.2 PER and 113 ORtg during that playoff series. This, on a team where his usage rate was 28.4% and the Nets were starting guys like Gerald Wallace, Reggie Evans and Deron Williams. Tijuana's supporting cast is clearly substantially better than that.
This matchup is close, but overall, Tijuana is a much better defensive team and has a steady balance on the offensive side of the ball. Tijuana should win this in 6-7 games.

Ebbs
09-30-2014, 01:22 PM
San Jose is the best team in the game.

Redrum187
09-30-2014, 02:52 PM
San Jose is the best team in the game.

They may or may not be, but it's insanely hard to imagine the best team having only 1 good defender (Asik) and 1 average-at-best defender (Chris Bosh). The only thing keeping San Jose from being elite is defense for me.

mightybosstone
09-30-2014, 08:21 PM
This is a really good matchup, and I actually think this is a slightly better matchup for Tijuana than their last series. But I'm still taking San Jose. The rebounding problem I had with Tijuana is exacerbated even further here against Asik, who is just an absolute monster on the glass. And I think that even with questions about Gallo's effectiveness coming off of an injury, it won't matter. Ellis will still give you 15-20 a night, and I just think Dragic would abuse Irving over a seven-game series.

Bosh versus West is a great matchup that I actually see as a tossup because of West's physicality on the interior, but I think Lopez hurts Tijuana so much more than Gallo hurts San Jose, because they are absolutely going to be dependent on Lopez to be their go-to guy at points in this series. San Jose has enough balanced scoring that Gallo could suck and they could still easily get 20 a night.

Tijuana is an extremely well-constructed basketball team, and their balance and strong overall team defense will keep them in this series. But I think Asik will bother Lopez enough that they'll struggle at times to manufacture points and too much pressure will be placed on the young Irving's shoulders. I'm taking San Jose in six.

Shammyguy3
10-01-2014, 05:08 PM
This is a 7-game series that comes down to the 4th quarter. That's how even each team is, but i agree with MBT and have to go San Jose. It seriously would not have surprised me to see Tijuana win this series though.

AI
10-01-2014, 06:33 PM
I'm actually surprised it's 17-1. Thought it would be a lot closer than that. Congrats Bran and Matter and good luck going forward!

KnicksorBust
10-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Yeah I'm not really sure why San Jose is winning in a landslide. I think a lot of people just automatically said "San Jose should win the redraft" and stopped thinking. Gallo is a huge question mark and will be checked by an elite defender in Jimmy Butler. He could be atrocious in this series. Asik is useless on offense. So basically they will be playing 3 on 5 offensively. Meanwhile, everyone on Tijuana is a threat and they have a solid inside out offense.

Mr. Baller
10-03-2014, 01:04 PM
They may or may not be, but it's insanely hard to imagine the best team having only 1 good defender (Asik) and 1 average-at-best defender (Chris Bosh). The only thing keeping San Jose from being elite is defense for me.

This is laughable.

AI
10-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Yeah I'm not really sure why San Jose is winning in a landslide. I think a lot of people just automatically said "San Jose should win the redraft" and stopped thinking. Gallo is a huge question mark and will be checked by an elite defender in Jimmy Butler. He could be atrocious in this series. Asik is useless on offense. So basically they will be playing 3 on 5 offensively. Meanwhile, everyone on Tijuana is a threat and they have a solid inside out offense.

This, I feel like I got shafted in this matchup but it's w/e. A year from now that San Jose team won't look so good and people will realize they slept on my team WAY too much.