PDA

View Full Version : Kobe VS. Tmac

alexander_37
09-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Just stumbled upon this video of every Kobe Vs. Tmac Matchup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r_cg7bNkjk

How amazing would an NBA where Kobe and Shaq stuck together and Tmac/Yao could have stayed healthy.

Could this have been the greatest rivalry ever.

And of course who would have won.

KnicksorBust
09-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Kobe and Shaq crush that duo. Can we stop propping tmac up on this pedestal?

JLynn943
09-29-2014, 09:20 PM
It's depressing to think about what could have been. I'm not even a Rockets fan and I feel robbed.

Jamiecballer
09-29-2014, 09:20 PM
McGrady was the better player but it was not meant to be. I can only assume he touched himself at night too frequently. :)

alexander_37
09-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Kobe and Shaq crush that duo. Can we stop propping tmac up on this pedestal?

Crush? Did you see how Tmac handled Kobe early. Yes it would have evened out more but that is pretty ignorant.

jaydubb
09-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Kobe and shaq was one of the best duos of all time if not the best, yao and Tmac wouldn't be able to keep up.

jaydubb
09-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Crush? Did you see how Tmac handled Kobe early. Yes it would have evened out more but that is pretty ignorant.

Both Tmac and Kobe had their fair share of good games against each other.. Imo that's a GREAT matchup..

Shaq vs Yao is where I think there's quite a bit of a mismatch and also why I could see Shaq/Kobe winning against Tmac/yao

Phantom Dreamer
09-29-2014, 09:36 PM
How amazing would an NBA where Kobe and Shaq stuck together and Tmac/Yao could have stayed healthy.

No, there have been better rivalries.

NFLNBA
09-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Not even close....besides T-Mac in 2002 getting a block or 2 and having the one game they both had 38 it all went downhill from there. Kobe killed this match up. Also Shaq was so dominate it was truly unfair these two were together. Oh what could have been though

alexander_37
09-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Not even close....besides T-Mac in 2002 getting a block or 2 and having the one game they both had 38 it all went downhill from there. Kobe killed this match up. Also Shaq was so dominate it was truly unfair these two were together. Oh what could have been though

Well duh prime Kobe > crippled tmac.

Chronz
09-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Kobe admitted that tmacs length bothered him early in their matchups and Yao famously rose to the occasion when squaring off against Shaq. I think he blocked like his first 3 attempts in their first encounter and Phil had to ask Shaq if he needed help by having the shorter Malone check him. so defensively i think it's closer than most realize.

Kobe eventually conquered Tmac , he has named him his toughest cover ever, but he's also stated how easily he could dismantle him mentally.

As a tmac fan i want to blame the injuries for what they took from him in that department

IKnowHoops
09-30-2014, 01:43 AM
At the time if all were to stay healthy I think it could of been a close game eventually just because Yao was younger than Shaq. But Prime for Prime, Kobe and Shaq would dominate in W/L mainly because Prime Shaq is to much for anyone.

Heatcheck
09-30-2014, 07:37 AM
I always liked tracy better, was a better distribute than kobe. Kobe matured faster and stayed healthy, shot a better %. Wouldve been great to see them go at it a couple years.

YAALREADYKNO
09-30-2014, 09:38 AM
it would've been nice to see t-mac stay healthy. It would've been nice too if he came back to the spurs last yr and got himself a ring

ILLUSIONIST^248
09-30-2014, 12:24 PM
Just stumbled upon this video of every Kobe Vs. Tmac Matchup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r_cg7bNkjk

And of course who would have won.it would have been a shut out.

ILLUSIONIST^248
09-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Kobe admitted that tmacs length bothered him early in their matchups and Yao famously rose to the occasion when squaring off against Shaq. I think he blocked like his first 3 attempts in their first encounter and Phil had to ask Shaq if he needed help by having the shorter Malone check him. so defensively i think it's closer than most realize.

Kobe eventually conquered Tmac , he has named him his toughest cover ever, but he's also stated how easily he could dismantle him mentally.

As a tmac fan i want to blame the injuries for what they took from him in that department

Is this your way of saying Tmac and Yao have no chance vs kobe and shaq?

Tony_Starks
09-30-2014, 12:44 PM
TMac always went super hard against Kobe on both offense and defense but that was my biggest issue with him. Kobe does this every night against anybody, you just save it for certain games?

thaShady
09-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Kings/Lakers was a better rivalry. Those few years were epic.

IKnowHoops
09-30-2014, 02:29 PM
TMac always went super hard against Kobe on both offense and defense but that was my biggest issue with him. Kobe does this every night against anybody, you just save it for certain games?

I wouldn't say he only went hard against Kobe. Remember when he was healthy he lead the league in scoring two year in a row which means he was going hard and being more productive than Kobe for 2 consecutive seasons at the very least.

IKnowHoops
09-30-2014, 02:32 PM
TMac was better than Kobe until he got hurt. In the early days he was on Kobe like glue and he could get his shot off against Kobe much easier than Kobe could against him. But as soon as that back got hurt the first time, Kobe took it back. I'll take Tmac at his best over Kobe at his best. He was longer, and quicker with an equal jumper.

Tony_Starks
09-30-2014, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't say he only went hard against Kobe. Remember when he was healthy he lead the league in scoring two year in a row which means he was going hard and being more productive than Kobe for 2 consecutive seasons at the very least.

I said he went hard against Kobe on offense AND defense. Scoring was never a problem, but even when T Mac was healthy he never dedicated himself to be the 2 way player Kobe was.

T Mac was never better than Kobe if you look at all around game. He should've been making all defensive teams.

IKnowHoops
09-30-2014, 06:01 PM
I said he went hard against Kobe on offense AND defense. Scoring was never a problem, but even when T Mac was healthy he never dedicated himself to be the 2 way player Kobe was.

T Mac was never better than Kobe if you look at all around game. He should've been making all defensive teams.

Tmac got more blocks, more rebounds, same amount of steals and less turnovers. I'd disagree with you on there defensive capabilities.

Chronz
09-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Is this your way of saying Tmac and Yao have no chance vs kobe and shaq?

How dare you, I would never be so stupid. Of course they have a chance.

Chronz
09-30-2014, 06:18 PM

I know alot of Laker fans that would accuse Kobe of digging it too. Even members here. ****, Kobe dogged it so badly/obviously a few years that even the homers down at clublakers were shocked by his hilarious all-defensive selections, if thats not enough damning evidence, Phil Jackson himself felt the voters were overrating him. Kobe used to only gear up for certain matchups too, sometimes stars coast on that end if they dont feel the motivation.

Luckily for both Kobe and Tmac, there was plenty of competition on the wings back then. I remember some games where Tmac just shut down Pierce/VC. Ray gave him problems. And one thing both guys did, they took it up a notch in the playoffs.

Check out Tmac's D vs Dirk, Big Dog and Baron(+the Hornets as a team when he played the 5). Strictly in terms of defensive versatility (not success/impact), Tmac truly was a Scottie Pippen defender.

Looking at all around games, Ill take Prime Tmac easily, especially on a team with Shaq on it.

IKnowHoops
09-30-2014, 06:57 PM
I know alot of Laker fans that would accuse Kobe of digging it too. Even members here. ****, Kobe dogged it so badly/obviously a few years that even the homers down at clublakers were shocked by his hilarious all-defensive selections, if thats not enough damning evidence, Phil Jackson himself felt the voters were overrating him. Kobe used to only gear up for certain matchups too, sometimes stars coast on that end if they dont feel the motivation.

Luckily for both Kobe and Tmac, there was plenty of competition on the wings back then. I remember some games where Tmac just shut down Pierce/VC. Ray gave him problems. And one thing both guys did, they took it up a notch in the playoffs.

Check out Tmac's D vs Dirk, Big Dog and Baron(+the Hornets as a team when he played the 5). Strictly in terms of defensive versatility (not success/impact), Tmac truly was a Scottie Pippen defender.

Looking at all around games, Ill take Prime Tmac easily, especially on a team with Shaq on it.

You know, I remember watching him on Dirk, and I can say without a doubt, that TMac made scoring more difficult for Dirk than anyone else Dirk has ever had to go against. TMac was a great defender. He could really make you work for every singe shot, no matter what kind of moves you had.

numba1CHANGsta
09-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Kobe+Shaq would have easily won 5 championships together, T-Mac+Yao would have made the Finals once if they were lucky

Tony_Starks
09-30-2014, 07:18 PM

Kobe coasted at times on D, I agree. But when you compare the two do you remember T Mac defending multiple guys in the same game? I remember Kobe being so versatile defensively at times you switch him on whoever was hot mid game. In particular Rondo and Ray in the Finals. As well as Stoudamire, Bonzi in Portland. I don't recall that with T Mac....

HeatFan
09-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Always thought that a Healthy T-Mac had potential to be a top player in the league (meaning top 3). However, before his back problems started he was already not living up to potential when he moved to Houston.

HeatFan
09-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Always thought that a Healthy T-Mac had potential to be a top player in the league (meaning top 3). However, before his back problems started he was already not living up to potential when he moved to Houston.

NBA-GMaster
09-30-2014, 10:17 PM
If only Tmac was handled by Phil Jackson.. Prime Tmac > prime kobe..

ILLUSIONIST^248
09-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Kobe+Shaq would have easily won 5 championships together, T-Mac+Yao would have made the Finals once if they were luckythis pretty much sums it up.

ILLUSIONIST^248
09-30-2014, 11:43 PM

Of course you would FC.

mightybosstone
09-30-2014, 11:56 PM
Personally, I think Tracy at his peak was greater than Kobe ever was. But he couldn't sustain that greatness and Kobe's sustained greatness is the thing of legends. It's unfortunate that McGrady's peak was so short and his career was derailed by injuries so soon, because that had the potential to be one of the greatest rivalries between players of the same position of all-time.

dalton749
10-01-2014, 12:00 AM
I miss these one on one battles that we don't see anymore because of the advanced stats movement

Chronz
10-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Kobe coasted at times on D, I agree. But when you compare the two do you remember T Mac defending multiple guys in the same game?
Yes, the load this guy carried was ridiculous. Dude even played center in some zone schemes so he pretty much played free safety, covering all 5 guys on the court. He wasn't dominating in that role, but the fact that he was Orlando's best option some games is a testament to how much they required of him.

I remember Kobe being so versatile defensively at times you switch him on whoever was hot mid game. In particular Rondo and Ray in the Finals. As well as Stoudamire, Bonzi in Portland. I don't recall that with T Mac....

Well how much did you really watch of him? He played before the advent of league pass and he never advanced past the first round so most of his games had to be downloaded or streamed for people to watch. If you dont believe me, take the GM's collective opinions for whatever its worth, but he was named the 2nd most versatile defender in a preseason poll at one point. Kobe is more of a 1-3 type defender, you could probably stretch it to some 4's but definitely not like Tmac.

Tmac wasn't as good on the ball, but he was a better rebounder and team defender, and if you absolutely had to, you could get away with Tmac as a 4-man defensively. I remember he used to check KG. Not that KG was a bully inside post player, but hes a legit 7ft big ffs. I dont recall Kobe defending those types often, playing him at the 3 was taxing enough for him, he would admit this himself. I cant imagine him playing the 4 at all, I remember a few games where Corliss Williamson took it to him 1 on 1. My friends are convinced one of those games was the reason he bulked up the following year to around 220.

basketfan4life
10-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Yes, the load this guy carried was ridiculous. Dude even played center in some zone schemes so he pretty much played free safety, covering all 5 guys on the court. He wasn't dominating in that role, but the fact that he was Orlando's best option some games is a testament to how much they required of him.

Well how much did you really watch of him? He played before the advent of league pass and he never advanced past the first round so most of his games had to be downloaded or streamed for people to watch. If you dont believe me, take the GM's collective opinions for whatever its worth, but he was named the 2nd most versatile defender in a preseason poll at one point. Kobe is more of a 1-3 type defender, you could probably stretch it to some 4's but definitely not like Tmac.

Tmac wasn't as good on the ball, but he was a better rebounder and team defender, and if you absolutely had to, you could get away with Tmac as a 4-man defensively. I remember he used to check KG. Not that KG was a bully inside post player, but hes a legit 7ft big ffs. I dont recall Kobe defending those types often, playing him at the 3 was taxing enough for him, he would admit this himself. I cant imagine him playing the 4 at all, I remember a few games where Corliss Williamson took it to him 1 on 1. My friends are convinced one of those games was the reason he bulked up the following year to around 220.

I say ********.

More-Than-Most
10-01-2014, 03:38 AM
I think Tmac was the better all around player but longevity does have a ton of weight and nobody has the durability of Kobe

More-Than-Most
10-01-2014, 03:39 AM
this pretty much sums it up.

and do you want to know why????? Shaq shaq and more shaq... In their primes Tmac is better than Kobe when healthy. Shaq is just one of the best ever and a monster

Chronz
10-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Of course you would FC.
Of course you dont have friends.

Chronz
10-01-2014, 09:26 AM
I say ********.
Cool. Wake me up when you have more to offer than typical ********

YAALREADYKNO
10-01-2014, 09:48 AM
What yall think of bruce bowen saying t-mac "would settle, and not bring it all the time"

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/bruce-bowen-vince-carter-tracy-mcgrady-settled-much/

Kashmir13579
10-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Tmac

Jamiecballer
10-01-2014, 05:33 PM
T-Mac had gifts even Jordan didn't have. What a shame :(

Tony_Starks
10-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Van Gundy also said his practice habits weren't very good. His physical break down derailed his career but I don't think it's a stretch to say he was probably no workout warrior.

Jamiecballer
10-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Van Gundy also said his practice habits weren't very good. His physical break down derailed his career but I don't think it's a stretch to say he was probably no workout warrior.
Oh I don't doubt that. His first year as a Raptor he was said to sleep like 16 hours a day lol

FlashBolt
10-01-2014, 10:18 PM
The way I see it is.. Shaq>Kobe+T-Mac+Yao. No doubt T-Mac at his ultimate peak>Kobe. Kobe's peak wasn't THAT great. It's his longevity that wins him over. No one has had the longevity of Kobe at the wing position.