PDA

View Full Version : Markieff & Marcus Morris get contract extensions

Ezio
09-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Suns have made it official this morning by quickly announcing contract extensions we reported last night for twins Markieff & Marcus Morris

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
My man @paulcoro says that the Morris Twins' split of the $52 million discussed last night is 4/32 mil for Markieff and 4/20 mil for Marcus

Sadds The Gr8
09-29-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't know about how I feel about them being all-in with this core. It was great last year but I don't think it has title potential

5ass
09-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Good package deal.

Quinnsanity
09-29-2014, 11:47 AM
I don't know about how I feel about them being all-in with this core. It was great last year but I don't think it has title potential

Even if they retain Dragic next year at the max or close to it their long-term cap sheets are fairly clean. As of now it looks like this long term:

14 mil for Bledsoe
Let's say 15 mil for Dragic
7 mil for Thomas
13 mil for Morris twins
2 mil for Ennis
4 mil for Len (easily dumpable if he continues to bust)
Let's say 7 mil for Green

That's the core, and that's around $64 million, or basically, a bit over the current salary cap. However, the new national TV deal in 2016 is going to force the cap up massively. Most cap projections have the new number at around $85 million, but the Suns will have their core locked in under pre-2016 deals. Let's say they keep these eight, hold onto three draft picks as roster players (bringing the cap number up to around $68-70 million), they'd have a nearly full roster with plenty of cap space. They could go grab another major piece in the $15 million range or several solid guys. Point is, this roster isn't done, and all things considered the cap looks pretty good for them.

Goose17
09-29-2014, 11:50 AM
Didn't they sign Zoran as well? That's two sets of brothers.

They should chase the Zellers as well lol.

Chronz
09-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Which one is the shooter again?

Corey
09-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Which one is the shooter again?

Markieff attempts a majority of his shots in post up situations, Marcus in spot up situations.

When they were at KU, Marcus was primarily a 3 and Markieff a 4. Same pretty much goes in the NBA, though Markieff is a better player now that they've matured.

Sadds The Gr8
09-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Markieff attempts a majority of his shots in post up situations, Marcus in spot up situations.

When they were at KU, Marcus was primarily a 3 and Markieff a 4. Same pretty much goes in the NBA, though Markieff is a better player now that they've matured.
Was markieff always the better one?

JLynn943
09-29-2014, 03:39 PM
It's cool that they've stuck together. They are both solid players. If Len develops or Phoenix gets a legit center, they could contend with this roster imo.

Vinylman
09-29-2014, 03:42 PM
It's cool that they've stuck together. They are both solid players. If Len develops or Phoenix gets a legit center, they could contend with this roster imo.

contend for what? a 4 seed?

who on that roster is gonna take the game over in the 4th quarter?

The lack of an elite player on the wing dooms them to failure...

perennial second round exit at best...

Corey
09-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Was markieff always the better one?

Marcus had more of an impact at KU.

In 10/11, Marcus averaged 17 points + 8 rebounds on 57% shooting.

In the same year (their junior season), Markieff averaged 14/8 on similar percentages. Marieff has matured as a player over time though. Scouts always liked him more even though Marcus was more of a threat in college.

Corey
09-29-2014, 04:26 PM

A combination of Dragic and Bledsoe can take over any game. Dragic doesn't get the credit he deserves. He took over plenty of games last season.

Vinylman
09-29-2014, 06:34 PM
A combination of Dragic and Bledsoe can take over any game. Dragic doesn't get the credit he deserves. He took over plenty of games last season.

no one on that roster has ever played a meaningful game and Dragic while a nice player is not going to be the leader of a championship team or even one that contends

They just aren't that good... compare them to the talent of the Clippers... its not close and the Clippers can't even get out of the 2nd round

KnicksorBust
09-29-2014, 06:38 PM
With the new projected cap I actually think these are solid deals. Markieff went on a scoring spree for them last year. Locking him up for 8 mil is the right price. They just need a better C.

Corey
09-29-2014, 07:00 PM
no one on that roster has ever played a meaningful game and Dragic while a nice player is not going to be the leader of a championship team or even one that contends

They just aren't that good... compare them to the talent of the Clippers... its not close and the Clippers can't even get out of the 2nd round

I think they're a well rounded team with talent that molds well together. As they develop, I expect them to be better than teams like the Clippers, honestly. They just won 48 games in the Western conference with arguably their most talented player missing half the season.

All of their projected top 10 scorers are younger than 30, and they just added Isaiah Thomas to the mix. Say what you want about him, but offensively he can take over a game. Same goes for Bledsoe, Dragic, and even Gerald Green when he gets going. They have plenty of talent.

If they get anything out of Len and Warren this year, they're going to be a dark horse to upset a top 4 seed in the playoffs.

poleandreel
09-29-2014, 07:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWjQ7nZTkI

Corey
09-29-2014, 08:14 PM

That was back when he was a second year player, too. He's changed a lot since then; style of play and personality. Players say Dragic was very timid originally, and that game against the Spurs really changed him and made him have more of a killer mentality.

He did that on a team with Nash, Amare and J-Rich, too. He's so much better now.

Vinny642
09-29-2014, 08:28 PM
I wouldnt give them all that, but hey the Suns FO know what they're doing

kobe4thewinbang
09-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Good move. No reason to mess with the chemistry. :knock on wood:

IndyRealist
09-29-2014, 09:11 PM
I don't think either one is an overpay. You're not going to find comparable replacements for less. Good move for continuity.

JLynn943
09-29-2014, 09:17 PM

Contend for a championship. Not saying they'd definitely be good enough to win one, but I think they could give it a serious run. If everyone on that team stays healthy, doesn't regress, and they add or develop a good center who can defend and score in the paint, I don't see why not.

They have arguably the best guard situation in the league. At any point in a game they will have a very high quality guard in the game. Isaiah Thomas, given the minutes, is a very serious contender for 6th man of the year. He was the best 6th man coming off the bench in the league in Sacramento until Vasquez was traded and he was made starter. Plus that team has a very good defender at SF in PJ Tucker, good role players in the Morris twins, Plumlee, and Green, and a few promising young players in Len, Ennis, and maybe Zoran. A good center is the only thing missing. Unfortunately for Phoenix, finding or developing one is more easily said than done.

Vinylman
09-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Contend for a championship. Not saying they'd definitely be good enough to win one, but I think they could give it a serious run. If everyone on that team stays healthy, doesn't regress, and they add or develop a good center who can defend and score in the paint, I don't see why not.

They have arguably the best guard situation in the league. At any point in a game they will have a very high quality guard in the game. Isaiah Thomas, given the minutes, is a very serious contender for 6th man of the year. He was the best 6th man coming off the bench in the league in Sacramento until Vasquez was traded and he was made starter. Plus that team has a very good defender at SF in PJ Tucker, good role players in the Morris twins, Plumlee, and Green, and a few promising young players in Len, Ennis, and maybe Zoran. A good center is the only thing missing. Unfortunately for Phoenix, finding or developing one is more easily said than done.

Optimism is cute but they just don't have the talent to win in the playoffs ... again... this team as currently constructed doesn't even come close in talent to the clippers... a team that can't get out of the second round...

The only way to contend is to take two or three of those pieces you talk about and turn them into an elite player until then they really won't go anywhere.

Vinylman
09-30-2014, 11:44 AM

I guess you don't understand the term "meaningful" game. Don't confuse a Scorer going off for 12 minutes with a meaningful game... if that is your standard I am sure there are plenty of JR Smith videos on youtube to satisfy your hunger

You also might want to check how he did the rest of that series... 4 points, 0 points, 6 points... he was a impressive 4-18 in those other 3 games in that series and 0-7 from 3

leftie5
09-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Optimism is cute but they just don't have the talent to win in the playoffs ... again... this team as currently constructed doesn't even come close in talent to the clippers... a team that can't get out of the second round...

The only way to contend is to take two or three of those pieces you talk about and turn them into an elite player until then they really won't go anywhere.

Well considering the majority of 'experts' predicted them to get a top pick last season I will take the playoffs this year. I don't think anybody is proclaiming them to be title contenders since the west is so tough.

You keep harping on this talent aspect. Talent is cute, but it doesn't always get the job done. There's a reason the Spurs are perennial contenders and the Clippers can't get out of the second round. It involves a hell of a lot more than talent.

king4day
09-30-2014, 01:58 PM
The Suns may not be ready to contend at an elite level but what's happening is, the key players are being signed to long term deals to maintain chemistry. These signings aren't past their prime players. These are guys who show they can already contribute and are still improving their game.

The flexibility remains and there are still a number of high-upside first and second year players with Goodwin, Len, Ennis, Warren, and eventually Boganovic.

The Suns are going to compete for the division this year, just like we did last season up until the midway point (when EB was out for too long).

xbrackattackx
09-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Imagine if the Suns traded all thier pieces to get all the brother players.

Teagues
DrAgics
Anteketumpo(sp)
Plumlees/Morris
Gasols/Zellers

That would be a nice starting line up

Jeff
Goran
Giannis
Pau
Marc

2-ONE-5
09-30-2014, 02:40 PM

not even close to potential to ever get past the first round. suns are going to be in NBA hell and be pretty medicore for a long time if they keep going this way.

Vinylman
09-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Well considering the majority of 'experts' predicted them to get a top pick last season I will take the playoffs this year. I don't think anybody is proclaiming them to be title contenders since the west is so tough.

You keep harping on this talent aspect. Talent is cute, but it doesn't always get the job done. There's a reason the Spurs are perennial contenders and the Clippers can't get out of the second round. It involves a hell of a lot more than talent.

Yes they are to the bolded and that is exactly my point ... they aren't...

Saying the Spurs don't have talent is laughable... not only do they have WAY more talent than most teams they have played meaningful games in the postseason which is my other point why the Suns aren't contenders

2-ONE-5
09-30-2014, 03:28 PM
i really dont see the suns winning more than 40 games this year

bucketss
09-30-2014, 04:25 PM
so are these two gonna follow eachother for the rest of their career lolz.

Goose17
09-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Imagine if the Suns traded all thier pieces to get all the brother players.

Teagues
DrAgics
Anteketumpo(sp)
Plumlees/Morris
Gasols/Zellers

That would be a nice starting line up

Jeff
Goran
Giannis
Pau
Marc

LOL... that's the type of **** I do in 2k, would love to see Phoenix do that haha!

leftie5
09-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Yes they are to the bolded and that is exactly my point ... they aren't...

Saying the Spurs don't have talent is laughable... not only do they have WAY more talent than most teams they have played meaningful games in the postseason which is my other point why the Suns aren't contenders

Where exactly did I say that the Spurs didn't have talent? It can be argued that the Clippers and Thunder have more talent, but like I said there is a reason they haven't won a title. Talent isn't the end all. Certainly it helps, but there are a lot of other factors at play (coaching/system, matchups, chemistry, injuries, etc.)

HeatFan
09-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Playing with your brother and making tons of money at the same time has to be one of the coolest things in the world. More so when you are both actually going to play (not one star and another warming the bench).

mightybosstone
09-30-2014, 08:07 PM
I honestly don't get what Phoenix is doing. Spending all that money on Thomas and Bledsoe was a mistake and they backed that up by locking down the Morris twins before they needed to. If they somehow manage to re-sign Dragic, that's it. They won't have any room left, and they'll pretty much be putting all of their eggs into the basket of a roster that couldn't even make the playoffs last year and has zero chance to legitimately contend without another major piece to the puzzle.

Honestly, I think this backfires on them. I think Phoenix either fails to make the playoffs or barely squeaks in and then Dragic bolts in the offseason when he realizes that Phoenix can't offer him a legitimate chance to contend. They would have been better off either getting whatever they could for Bledsoe or paying Bledsoe and using the money from Thomas and the Morris twins to add a legitimate third piece to the puzzle.

The only other thing I can think here is that Phoenix maybe thinks that Dragic won't re-sign and plan to use the cap room to entice a superstar at another position. But I just don't think it makes any sense to pay Dragic, Bledsoe AND Thomas a combined $35 million+ over the next 3-4 years for one of those guys to only play 20-25 minutes a night, especially when they could seriously use a legitimate center and some improved interior defense.

Goose17
10-01-2014, 04:43 AM
They won't have any room left, and they'll pretty much be putting all of their eggs into the basket of a roster that couldn't even make the playoffs last year

LOL, you're acting like they didn't even have a chance. There was only a 3 game difference between them and my 6th seeded Warriors.

Ezio
10-01-2014, 01:29 PM
I honestly don't get what Phoenix is doing. Spending all that money on Thomas and Bledsoe was a mistake and they backed that up by locking down the Morris twins before they needed to. If they somehow manage to re-sign Dragic, that's it. They won't have any room left, and they'll pretty much be putting all of their eggs into the basket of a roster that couldn't even make the playoffs last year and has zero chance to legitimately contend without another major piece to the puzzle.

Honestly, I think this backfires on them. I think Phoenix either fails to make the playoffs or barely squeaks in and then Dragic bolts in the offseason when he realizes that Phoenix can't offer him a legitimate chance to contend. They would have been better off either getting whatever they could for Bledsoe or paying Bledsoe and using the money from Thomas and the Morris twins to add a legitimate third piece to the puzzle.

The only other thing I can think here is that Phoenix maybe thinks that Dragic won't re-sign and plan to use the cap room to entice a superstar at another position. But I just don't think it makes any sense to pay Dragic, Bledsoe AND Thomas a combined $35 million+ over the next 3-4 years for one of those guys to only play 20-25 minutes a night, especially when they could seriously use a legitimate center and some improved interior defense.

People are saying that the cap is going up by 10-20 mil with the tv deal. But I agree with you.

king4day
10-01-2014, 01:36 PM

I'd agree with you if the players that were re-signed weren't young and still developing. It's possible some of the contracts won't look great in a year but between the twins, Bledsoe, Thomas, and their 5 first and second year players, there's enough room to make changes if needed.

Nobody on this team, outside of maybe Goran, has hit their prime yet. Even Tucker is still getting better (he couldn't shoot before last season and suddenly became one of the best corner 3's in the league.

2-ONE-5
10-01-2014, 01:37 PM
but the cap is going up for all teams so its not like the suns have any advantage to sign a big FA when they still have too much money committed

Goose17
10-01-2014, 04:06 PM
but the cap is going up for all teams so its not like the suns have any advantage to sign a big FA when they still have too much money committed

Yeah know they're still allowed to trade and draft guys right?

Corey
10-01-2014, 04:16 PM

They do that in the NBA???

But really, continuity is so underrated in the NBA.

Goose17
10-01-2014, 04:19 PM
They do that in the NBA???

Lol exactly.

2-ONE-5
10-01-2014, 04:25 PM

obviously. only trade they will be making is a relativley even one with Bledsoe or Dragic

Goose17
10-01-2014, 05:09 PM
obviously. only trade they will be making is a relativley even one with Bledsoe or Dragic

They have three first round picks for the 2015 draft. Minnesotas, Lakers and their own. They have young players on reasonable deals that are all coming off a good season.

They could put something together if they wanted to.

Vinylman
10-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Where exactly did I say that the Spurs didn't have talent? It can be argued that the Clippers and Thunder have more talent, but like I said there is a reason they haven't won a title. Talent isn't the end all. Certainly it helps, but there are a lot of other factors at play (coaching/system, matchups, chemistry, injuries, etc.)

You dismissed the Spurs talent... but i will play along

so which of those intangibles do the Suns have?

Again... no elite talent equals no chance at competing...

name a team that has competed for a championship (ie made the finals) without an elite player

mightybosstone
10-01-2014, 07:51 PM
LOL, you're acting like they didn't even have a chance. There was only a 3 game difference between them and my 6th seeded Warriors.
They have a chance to make the playoffs, but unless Bledsoe becomes a an elite talent or they get really lucky with 1-2 of their other young guys, that team is not a legitimate contender without at least one other major addition. In all seriousness, do you honestly see that roster contending?

People are saying that the cap is going up by 10-20 mil with the tv deal. But I agree with you.
And that may be the case... In two years. But Dragic is probably at his peak right now, and that roster isn't likely to contend without another major piece on the roster. If your goal was to keep Dragic (their best player), then you should go out of your way to build the best possible team right now. Not two years from now.

I'd agree with you if the players that were re-signed weren't young and still developing. It's possible some of the contracts won't look great in a year but between the twins, Bledsoe, Thomas, and their 5 first and second year players, there's enough room to make changes if needed.

Nobody on this team, outside of maybe Goran, has hit their prime yet. Even Tucker is still getting better (he couldn't shoot before last season and suddenly became one of the best corner 3's in the league.
I'm not saying that this can't be a good team. It already is one. I'm saying that they are not going to be contenders unless they make a significant move in addition to everything they've done so far. Even if Bledsoe is a stud this season and stays healthy and every young guy on the team develops into a competent starter or role player, that front court is still mediocre as hell and they still are not going to be as good as at least 5-6 other teams in the West.

mightybosstone
10-01-2014, 07:53 PM
And for the record, I don't think the Morris contracts were bad. But I think that once Phoenix signed Thomas and Bledsoe, they should have kept that money for a bigger talent next offseason rather than spending it on role players.

GrkGawdofWalkz
10-05-2014, 05:04 PM
They have 17 point guards that's for sure. One should be traded ASAP. This is a good move though, Markieff is the real deal. Having Thomas, Dragic and Bledsoe makes absolutely no sense.