PDA

View Full Version : Nobody's talking about the defending champs

JayW_1023
09-29-2014, 04:01 AM
Because it's The Spurs. And the funny thing is, with the talent in the league more spread out, I think San Antonio - with the core intact - has an arguably bigger chance to win it all than last season.

Sometimes I think it's not just the Spurs model, but the league's fixation on stats, star power and ratings that play right into their hands. However, if the Spurs' play last year inspires other teams to follow the same path, I think the game itself will be raised. It'll probably decrease the chances for repeating, but so be it I guess. I would love to see more talented teams move the ball like they do.

The Clippers, The Grizzlies and The Bulls pose the biggest threat to San Antonio, IMHO.

That said, the only thing really stopping the Spurs this year is themselves, more specifically, injuries.

Goose17
09-29-2014, 05:02 AM
What is there to talk about? They're clearly the favourites. They showed that they play team basketball on a level far beyond any other team in this league.

I dont really see what there is to discuss. They haven't made any major changes, they're just quietly plodding along as always.

What specifically should be talking about?

prodigy
09-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Every time I seen ESPN talking bout NBA they mention spurs. So not share what you are talking about. They even interrupted cavs media day to show the spurs media day. So once again what are u talking about?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-29-2014, 09:41 AM
I hope the Spurs win another one. One more for Timmy and Pops before they hit the road.

Vampirate
09-29-2014, 09:50 AM
The Spurs just have this air about them of 'been there, done that, next year well win 55+ games' for the last decade, and everyone justs accepts it mostly. Sure you have the people that say this is the year the Spurs fall, but it's wishful thinking.

To be honest, people will start talking about the Spurs when they do fall off drastically (not making the playoffs) and note what an incredible run they had.

2-ONE-5
09-29-2014, 09:57 AM
i think the Spurs prefer to not be talked about. they can just go quietly about their busniess and not be botherd with petty BS

Chronz
09-29-2014, 10:01 AM
They are the 72 Lakers, older squad that went on a magical run the year prior and will see their HOF bigman decline heavily in the coming years. I predict a WCF defeat and a 1st round loss the year thereafter.

kdspurman
09-29-2014, 11:01 AM
It's all good. Cleveland has their story and that will obviously rule the headlines.

Yes the Spurs made moves that are obviously great, like re-upping Pop, adding Messina, bringing everyone back etc...

But that can't compare to what the Cavs have done. At the end of the day though, the Spurs never really dominate the headlines even after championship seasons. I'm sure they're doing just fine and are in great position to do it again next season.

They don't need to be in the spot light, and they've just grown accustomed to liking it that way.

kdspurman
09-29-2014, 11:01 AM
i think the Spurs prefer to not be talked about. they can just go quietly about their busniess and not be botherd with petty BS

Exactly

Goose17
09-29-2014, 11:51 AM
I predict a WCF defeat and a 1st round loss the year thereafter.

People have been predicting similar things for 4 or 5 years now.

Chronz
09-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Very true
It has to happen at some point tho

Quinnsanity
09-29-2014, 12:09 PM
You know, if everyone keeps saying that nobody's talking about the Spurs, everyone really is just talking about the Spurs. You can't be underrated if everyone says you're underrated.

Jarvo
09-29-2014, 12:30 PM
They are the 72 Lakers, older squad that went on a magical run the year prior and will see their HOF bigman decline heavily in the coming years. I predict a WCF defeat and a 1st round loss the year thereafter.

Heard this for yearsssss now.

tredigs
09-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Heard this for yearsssss now.

Yeah, you have and that's fair -- but I would not become too spoiled by it. Despite a rock of a foundation, the Spurs will be going through a transitional period in the very near future and will no longer be contenders. We will finally get to see what Kawhi looks like as a defacto #1, and I have a feeling it won't exactly be ideal.

kdspurman
09-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Yeah, you have and that's fair -- but I would not become too spoiled by it. Despite a rock of a foundation, the Spurs will be going through a transitional period in the very near future and will no longer be contenders. We will finally get to see what Kawhi looks like as a defacto #1, and I have a feeling it won't exactly be ideal.

They have sort of rebuilt/transitioned over the past few years though. They aren't reliant on any one guy, so as long as they can continue to get guys to come in and play Spurs basketball, they should remain a relevant team. So they aren't in as bad shape as many might assume when Duncan/Manu walk away. (Parker has a few more years left of course) Pop has changed their style and it will make it easier when those guys aren't around anymore. Not to mention Pop re-upping for another 4-5 years and adding Messina as his assistant. (to likely take over once Pop is done)

I admit I am spoiled by this run, but I don't take it for granted. But I also realize a lot of stuff they are doing is thinking big picture. So many think the run will come to an end, or there will be this big drop off, but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. They are putting the right pieces in place now, to make for a smoother transition in a few years.

FlashBolt
09-29-2014, 01:38 PM
I hate to say it but the truth is, it was more-so whether or not LeBron wins it or not rather than which team wins it. That's just how the media works.

YashBoone
09-29-2014, 06:08 PM
The Spurs always fly under the radar ...it's what they do

TheNumber37
09-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Spurs a great! But they don't win back to back

KnicksorBust
09-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Zzzzzz. This line haa become more tired than "the Spurs are boring to watch." Neither are true and the latter hasnt been for years. The Spurs were talked about and drooled over an INSANE amount this season.

kobe4thewinbang
09-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Not much to talk about when it's Spur-fection. If they add Ray Allen, the other teams should forfeit.

Bruno
09-29-2014, 11:33 PM
nobody has cared about the defending champs every since LBJ made a habit of stealing the off-season.

bucketss
09-29-2014, 11:57 PM
how are you going to sleep on the thunder though, bulls being a bigger threat than thunder? i don't think so sir!

mrblisterdundee
09-29-2014, 11:59 PM
There's been plenty of Spurs love over the summer. It just gets overshadowed by star chasing.

mightybosstone
09-30-2014, 12:29 AM
I don't think we'll see a huge dropoff in the Spurs this season, but I do think this will be the beginning of the end. If Ibaka doesn't get hurt, I think it would have been last season. But I just think the Spurs are fighting an uphill battle against the odds that they can't keep winning. There are other, more talented teams in the Western Conference, and I just can't imagine them getting past the Thunder, Clippers, Warriors, Rockets, Grizzlies, etc. AGAIN.

They are and should be the favorites going into this season. I'm not denying that. But if I had to put money on the Spurs making it out of the Western Conference again or bet money on the field, I'd gladly put money on the field.

DitchDat
09-30-2014, 09:24 AM

Make that 7 or 8 years my man! They were written off before the Celtics Big Three was even formed.

It's ridiculous how they keep doing it.