PDA

View Full Version : Steve Ballmer: could he circumvent the cap?

JasonJohnHorn
09-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Steve Ballmer is now the owner of the Clippers, but he is ALSO affiliated with Microsoft.

I'm sure this has come up before with other owners/companies, but given that Microsoft is a huge brand name, and most brand name get celebrity endorsements, is it possible for Ballmer to make back-door endorsement deals with free agents looking for a team. Say, as the owner of the Clippers he signs them to a minimal deal with no real hit on the cap as a player, while at the same time paying them their market value as a player for an endorsement deal with Microsoft?

It seems like this is a way that some owners could circumvent the cap, not just Bullmer. Are there any rules for this? Obviously an endorsement deal can't be rolled into an NBA contract, but is there a rule preventing owners from doing this?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Under the table cash? Rumors was Nets did this to land AK47 dirt cheap contract wise. But no proof.

InRoseWeTrust
09-28-2014, 02:07 PM
If he tried do do it that blatantly w/ a Microsoft deal (which would be painfully obvious), Silver would have a ****ing field day with him. Not going to happen.

dhopisthename
09-28-2014, 02:19 PM
steve balmer is worth north of 20 billion dollars he could just pay someone under the table, but of course if found out would have big time fines(lose the player, loss of first round picks, and huge fines). same goes for several other owners. the microsoft thing would make no sense

Goose17
09-28-2014, 02:33 PM
I'm sure it's possible but I think there might be a red flag raised if KD signs with the Clips in free agency for the vets minimum and suddenly gets a 100 billion dollar investment to endorse the Zune.

abe_froman
09-28-2014, 03:07 PM
not anymore than paul allen can,or mj for jordan brand ,or arison for carnival cruises ,ect.

gatkins11
09-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Not worth the risk. If he were to get caught there would be hell to pay.

JasonJohnHorn
09-28-2014, 04:45 PM
not anymore than paul allen can,or mj for jordan brand ,or arison for carnival cruises ,ect.

Jordan is a legit concern. I'm sure Nike would be willing give a guy an endorsement deal. It would make sense, not raise any red flags, and help Jordan land a free agent.

I think this is something to worry about.

Quinnsanity
09-29-2014, 11:41 AM
The owners tend to police each other on this. Technically there isn't a rule in place about this now, but the owners and commish would never let it fly and the moment someone tried one would be put in place. Commissioners do have the power to reject contracts (see Ilya Kovalchuk), and though the NBA commissioner doesn't have the all-encompassing "best interest of baseball" clause on his side like the MLB commissioner does, he could pretty easily use it as a legal precedent to block such a move with owner support. So yea, this isn't happening.

king4day
09-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Possible, sure. But he'd lose the team as fast as he bought them if caught.

tredigs
09-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Why this thread is hilariously stupid in 2 easy points:

1: How is this any different from the possibilities of the other 29 mega business owners?

2: Wtf would Microsoft seek NBA players as their endorsers?

That said, this blatantly occurred in a similar vein when Kirilenko was paid under the table by Prok, and nobody in the NBA said a thing publicly.

alexander_37
09-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Why this thread is hilariously stupid in 2 easy points:

1: How is this any different from the possibilities of the other 29 mega business owners?

2: Wtf would Microsoft seek NBA players as their endorsers?

That said, this blatantly occurred in a similar vein when Kirilenko was paid under the table by Prok, and nobody in the NBA said a thing publicly.

Ding ding ding. This is insanely ridiculous most of these owners are borderline or bonafide BILLIONAIRES. Of course any of them could do this.

2-ONE-5
09-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Jordan is a legit concern. I'm sure Nike would be willing give a guy an endorsement deal. It would make sense, not raise any red flags, and help Jordan land a free agent.

I think this is something to worry about.

seeing Jordan has been an owner for some time now i would say its not something to worry about in the least

PurpleLynch
09-30-2014, 03:03 PM
No,Silver would just lay the hammer on anyone who tries it.