PDA

View Full Version : Is Shawn Marion a HOF'er?

arlubas
09-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Pretty simple Q really. I went and checked his numbers and at the moment the guy has 18941 total points, 10832 total rebounds, 2304 total assists, 1858 total steals and 1333 total blocks with about 48% on FGs and over 80% on FTs. Seeing as he still is fit and could complete a couple more seasons with mediocre numbers I suspect he should be close to 20K pts and 11K rebs by the time he retires plus he has a ring (and could possibly get some more while in Cleveland).

So by these numbers do you see him getting the nod? (obviously not first ballot)

YAALREADYKNO
09-26-2014, 06:35 PM
no he's not a HOFer but he should've been on the All NBA defensive teams a few times especially when he was in his prime. Still cant believe he hasn't made at least ONE defensive 2nd team smh

5ass
09-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Yeah I'd put him in the hall of fame. It's very possible he makes it in.

bucketss
09-26-2014, 06:53 PM
yeah after king james wins him 3 rings.

abe_froman
09-26-2014, 06:54 PM
sure,lower level guy but i can see him get in

Alayla
09-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Definitely If he doesnt it shows being a truly special defensive player doesn't account for much in peoples eyes.

KnicksorBust
09-26-2014, 09:33 PM
One if the most underrated players of all-time. Hybrid forward who did it all. Anyone who saw him play knows what he brought to those Suns teams and fun fact he was almost the best fantasy player in the league for a good 5 years.

JasonJohnHorn
09-26-2014, 09:58 PM
He's on the border line for me. I wouldn't have an issue if he made it, but I likely would have a hard time voting for him in most classes. If had had been a first option his first few years, instead of playing behind Nash and Amare, I think this would be a much easier conversation.

He is definitely better than a lot of players better in the hall already.

flea
09-26-2014, 10:22 PM
Great off ball scorer, great rebounder, and superb defender. Yes, he deserves it way more than people who scored more points than he has.

NYKalltheway
09-27-2014, 06:41 AM
Bobby Jones didn't make Hall of Fame so I dont think Marion should.

arlubas
09-27-2014, 08:32 AM
If had had been a first option his first few years, instead of playing behind Nash and Amare, I think this would be a much easier conversation.
In the pre-Nash days and before Amare bursted out he and Marbury were like 1 and 1a on offense.

fun fact he was almost the best fantasy player in the league for a good 5 years.
You bet. I always tried to pick him for my fantasy teams, the guy was filling stat sheets on every occasion.

DemarDerozan
09-28-2014, 12:25 AM
Yes. He's got the stats, longevity and accolades.

Sadds The Gr8
09-28-2014, 12:32 AM
I think he'll get in because the basketball hof is easy as hell to make. If it was baseball or football standards I'd say no.

dhopisthename
09-28-2014, 02:31 AM
I think he'll get in because the basketball hof is easy as hell to make. If it was baseball or football standards I'd say no.

it really is http://www.nba.com/history/hall-of-fame-inductees/

although the hall of fame probability only gives him a 26%

jaydubb
09-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Only like 15 players in NBA history have 20,000 points and 10,000 rebounds in their career and (besides current players) all of them are in the hall of fame. He's not at that mark yet, but if he plays a couple more years I could see him getting there, he's only about 1,000 points off.

I say he gets into the hall of fame.

jaydubb
09-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Yes. He's got the stats, longevity and accolades.
Pretty much this

But also definitely this. The NBA hall of fame is the easiest of all pro sports to make it into.

GiantsSwaGG
09-28-2014, 12:19 PM
His shot form should make it

ackar
09-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Yeah the Matrix should get the Hall nod.

jaydubb
09-28-2014, 06:23 PM
His shot form should make it
Haha! True

Kaner
09-29-2014, 12:11 AM
I love Marion's game but I think he's getting to much credit here. He's close to the bottom of the list of who I'd consider 'bubble' guys from the past era: Carter, T-Mac, Amar'e, Ginobili, Gasol, Billups, Webber, Wallace, Hill and, Yao. I don't think he should get in before any of those guys.

You've also got others from the 80s and 90s, Sikma, Laimbeer, and Kemp who are all still waiting and were better then Marion.

Shlumpledink
09-29-2014, 12:39 AM
He's getting in.

He is kind of an afterthought, but he has put together a great career. Further proof of the depth of the modern nba era

ThePostUp
10-02-2014, 12:59 PM
I love Marion's game but I think he's getting to much credit here. He's close to the bottom of the list of who I'd consider 'bubble' guys from the past era: Carter, T-Mac, Amar'e, Ginobili, Gasol, Billups, Webber, Wallace, Hill and, Yao. I don't think he should get in before any of those guys.

You've also got others from the 80s and 90s, Sikma, Laimbeer, and Kemp who are all still waiting and were better then Marion.

Agreed, I like Marion as a player and do even rank him above someone like Mitch Richmond who got in. I didn't see that one coming.

I agree though. He's not the overall player or "Career" that most of those others had. I know people want to only look at longevity.

Webber was far better player. Pau is a lock. So is Ginobili with his 4 Rings and Golds.

Laimbeer really should get in. He was one of the real "players" of the 80's. A true entertainer that knew how to win.

I really think it's going to be hard for Grant Hill to make it. I know his peak was great, but his playoff stats Aren't. Also never really went deep in the playoffs.

What about, Horace Grant, Kevin Johnson, Tim Hardaway, Jeff Hornacek, Tom Chambers, M. Aguire,

slashsnake
10-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Tough one...

His high school, international, and college resume don't help him. Not an NCAA all american, Mcdonalds all american, title contender, a bronze medal with the US team... etc.

NBA is a bit better. Never a 1st or 2nd team all NBA, But 2 third team votes, 4 all star games, and a championship in his later years. Nice sustained high level of play there, good defender all around. Can't really create his own shot.

But with Mitch and Rodman in... those loose standards look pretty good for him.

I guess there's 16 NBA locks right now playing. Duncan, Bryant, Bron, Wade, Garnett, Dirk, Pierce, Bosh, Ray, Parker, CP3, Melo, Dwight, Durant, Gasol and Nash. I'd put in Vinsanity, and Manu as well with what they've done.

Guys like Westbrook, Aldridge, Love, Rondo, etc could easily be there with a longer career but lets ignore them for now and go off who based on now.

I guess for me he falls in that next category. Joe Johnson? Billups? Stoudemire? Deron Williams? Marion? He's hard to put ahead of those 4.

prodigy
10-04-2014, 10:50 AM
NBA standards I'm a hof'er. The NBA is a complete joke when it comes to who they let in.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Tes.

slashsnake
10-05-2014, 01:01 AM
NBA standards I'm a hof'er. The NBA is a complete joke when it comes to who they let in.

Well then you have the joke on the MLB side as well.

Sorry, but for Nolan Ryan, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth... someone actually with the voting power for the MLB Hall of fame looked at them and said "no you aren't worthy of the HOF this year" and didn't vote for them.

I think the MLB should find the 18 people that said Cal Ripken JR. is NOT a HOF'er and remove their ability to vote, right then and there. I am sorry but if that is your opinion, you probably shouldn't have that job.

How can you take a HOF seriously if it has Yogi Berra up there for induction and doesn't vote him in? Sure he made it later, but really.. an 18 time all star, 13 time champion, 3 time league MVP doesn't get in on the first ballot.

I guess the one thing about the NBA hall of fame is there isn't quite as big of an argument over deserving snubs. If you don't make it, you probably don't deserve to be in consideration in the NBA.

prodigy
10-05-2014, 05:48 PM

Well then you have the joke on the MLB side as well.

Sorry, but for Nolan Ryan, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth... someone actually with the voting power for the MLB Hall of fame looked at them and said "no you aren't worthy of the HOF this year" and didn't vote for them.

I think the MLB should find the 18 people that said Cal Ripken JR. is NOT a HOF'er and remove their ability to vote, right then and there. I am sorry but if that is your opinion, you probably shouldn't have that job.

How can you take a HOF seriously if it has Yogi Berra up there for induction and doesn't vote him in? Sure he made it later, but really.. an 18 time all star, 13 time champion, 3 time league MVP doesn't get in on the first ballot.

I guess the one thing about the NBA hall of fame is there isn't quite as big of an argument over deserving snubs. If you don't make it, you probably don't deserve to be in consideration in the NBA.

Very true. BuT at least you don't have an ''all ginger team'' or whatever in the baseball hof lol

LA_Raiders
10-05-2014, 09:56 PM
He shouldn't but he will, worst players are in the hof.

scissors
10-05-2014, 11:12 PM
First of all, there is no NBA HOF. It is the "basketball hof". If we had an NBA hof the standards would be much more harsh. We should have one by now. I don't get it.

scissors
10-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Secondly,

here's my Keltner List for him

1. Was he ever regarded as the best player in basketball? Did anybody, while he was active, ever suggest that he was the best player in basketball? No.

2. Was he the best player on his team? Probably in 01-02 & and 02-03. You could make an argument for 03-04. Those 3 teams only had 1 playoff series total.

3. Was he the best player in basketball at his position? No. But probably 2nd or 3rd in a handful of years.

4. Did he have an impact on a number of NBA Finals or Conference Finals? Absolutely. He was a key part of deep runs by PHO in a few seasons and had an epic role in shutting down Lebron James when the Mavs won the finals in 2011.

5. Was he good enough that he could play regularly after passing his prime? Yes. At a pretty high level.

6. Is he the very best (eligible) basketball player in history who is not in the Hall of Fame? DNQ

7. Are most players who have comparable statistics in the Hall of Fame? Considering his HOF probability stat is 0.265 I would assume the answer is "no". Though that is the 20th highest among active players.

8. Do the player's numbers meet Hall of Fame standards? Its really close. 15/9 with a lot of steals and blocks. Plus his prime numbers were really strong.

9. Is there any evidence to suggest that the player was significantly better or worse than is suggested by his statistics? I think that he had a significant defensive impact beyond stl and blk. He was never recognized for it in All Defense honors though.

10. Is he the best player at his position who is eligible for the Hall of Fame? DNQ

11. How many MVP-type seasons did he have? Did he ever win an MVP award? If not, how many times was he close? None really. He had a couple of top 10 type MVP seasons.

12. How many All-Star-type seasons did he have? How many All-Star games did he play in? Did most of the players who played in this many All-Star games go into the Hall of Fame? He had about 8 All Star type seasons. He made 4 all star teams. There aren't a ton of players with 4 All Star games that aren't in the hof.

13. If this man were the best player on his team, would it be likely that the team could win an NBA title? Sorry Trix, this one is a definite no.

14. What impact did the player have on basketball history? Was he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment? Did he change the game in any way? Was his college and/or international career especially noteworthy? Very little, no, no, no, and no.

The Verdict: I think even by the basketball hof's incredibly low standards he is very unlikely to make it.

Munkeysuit
10-05-2014, 11:41 PM
That is a hard one to answer right now, I mean he's been an important part of that Dallas title and had so many great years in Phoenix but I am not so sure how to answer this right now as he is one of those "borderline" players when considering Hall of Fame level greatness.

Bruno
10-05-2014, 11:50 PM
One if the most underrated players of all-time. Hybrid forward who did it all. Anyone who saw him play knows what he brought to those Suns teams and fun fact he was almost the best fantasy player in the league for a good 5 years.

classic big man stats of 20/10/2 on 50% but he gave you two steals, one three a game and an 80% FT value to go along with it. there's no player in the fantasy game currently who does what marion was doing this time last decade. Kawhi Leonard might get there eventually. Even Leonard is ranked top 25 by yahoo and he doesn't approach what Marion was doing.

Chrisstyles
10-06-2014, 12:38 AM
if Chris Mullin is there. These guys all should make it. For you guys talking about Mitch Richmond, he was way better than Mullin. Mullin was atrocious defensively with quick hands and Richmond was above average defensively asks Jordan. Also all Mullin's good years was on that run and gun TMC team and Richmond had stats with the Kings that proves he was a legit scorer

farren.louis
10-11-2014, 02:47 PM
No

ManningToTyree
10-11-2014, 04:28 PM
No