PDA

View Full Version : What is Kemba Walker worth?

JasonJohnHorn
09-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Kemba Walker is up for an extension. What do you guys think he is worthy?

I personally am not a big fan. I think that with the addition of Stephenson, the Hornets (nee Bobcats) should try and pack up Henderson and Walker in a deal for a better point guard (perhaps Rondo?).

I wouldn't offer more than 3-years/15-mil.

Where do you put him on the pay scale?

goingfor28
09-26-2014, 03:02 PM
I'd say 4/44 seems reasonable for him. He's a nice player, and clutch.

Chronz
09-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Not a fan of diminutive PG's who rely heavily on crossover dribbles. That said, they took the time to develop him and you wont find a PG of the future for this team without going through the same ordeal all over again. Im thinking they want to build on a playoff appearance. Rondo is interesting, that would be a great trade for Charlotte.

arlubas
09-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Rondo is interesting, that would be a great trade for Charlotte.
It looks great on paper but Rondo has two things working against him in such a move: a) he needs other creators around him to maximize his effect on his team's game (the Hornets don't have that many) and b) he has turned into a team cancer and going to a team like the Bobcats will require his patience, something that he has shown he doesn't have big quantities of.

JEDean89
09-26-2014, 08:06 PM
If the Hornets can lock him down for 4 years 36 mil, that would be respectable. If the Hornets can just MKG to not be a liability on offense they can have a really nice two way team. MKG and Lance have the potential to be the leagues premiere wing stoppers.

Rivera
09-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Max. He provides too much #kembaswag

IndyRealist
09-26-2014, 08:45 PM
I would -not- go over 3yr, $20M. I think he's going to continue to improve and likely be a solid player in the future, but he's a role player put in a franchise player slot. Frankly, he does nothing above average.

It's interesting to see who thinks Kemba is a core player worth 8 figures, and who doesn't.

Bruno
09-26-2014, 09:07 PM
I would -not- go over 3yr, $20M. I think he's going to continue to improve and likely be a solid player in the future, but he's a role player put in a franchise player slot. Frankly, he does nothing above average.

It's interesting to see who thinks Kemba is a core player worth 8 figures, and who doesn't.

thats what Jodie Meeks just got from Detroit. George Hill makes $8 million dollars a year. With a potential $80M cap in 2017, a guy like Kemba will run at least ten million a season. maybe a 5/$55. He'd take up 11.5ish% of the teams cap with an $80M salary cap. thats not a bad % for a guy who could become ten at his position, who is currently top 12-13 at his position.

MrfadeawayJB
09-26-2014, 09:07 PM
8 mil a year

Legitimate
09-26-2014, 10:03 PM
So I guess i'm the only one thinking he'll get almost the max..haha he has a lot of potential and is a pretty good damn player.

IndyRealist
09-26-2014, 10:53 PM
thats what Jodie Meeks just got from Detroit. George Hill makes $8 million dollars a year. With a potential $80M cap in 2017, a guy like Kemba will run at least ten million a season. maybe a 5/$55. He'd take up 11.5ish% of the teams cap with an $80M salary cap. thats not a bad % for a guy who could become ten at his position, who is currently top 12-13 at his position.

He's top 13? I wouldn't put him in the top half of starting PGs, and there's probably some backups I'd put over him as well. He is significantly below average on 2pt %, average at 3pt %, below average in assist rate and average ast:to. He's small and not blindingly fast. He doesn't generate possessions. Like I said, he's a role player thrust into a franchise player's role.

As far as the TV deal goes, it is entirely possible that the NBA chooses to have the revenue increase incrementally to prevent teams from throwing stupid money around in 2016. I wouldn't give him over a 3yr deal. Good for him, good for the team, much like Stephenson. If he becomes a star, then he can make more money when it becomes available. If teams figure out that he's only mediocre, then they have an easy out when plenty of good players will be out looking for a payday. Meanwhile he doesn't cripple his team's cap space for the next two years.

InRoseWeTrust
09-26-2014, 11:19 PM
4/30

5ass
09-26-2014, 11:34 PM
10 mill a year.

Matter.
09-26-2014, 11:36 PM
Kemba is worth the max #kembaswag

Raps18-19 Champ
09-26-2014, 11:49 PM
He's getting at minimum $10 mil per year.

beasted86
09-26-2014, 11:54 PM
Walker plays defense and is clutch. I would extend him right now at 5 years / $40M if I were them. He's only going to get better with his work ethic and mindset. Only barrier is injury since he relies so much on his quickness... otherwise, no way that turns into a bad contract.

OP is smoking crack as usual. $5M a year is 'all you'd offer him'? Like I think guys here must be little girls on this forum with the amount of attention seeking they do. That can't be serious, that has to be trying to get attention.

Sadds The Gr8
09-27-2014, 12:52 AM
4/40 max for him. Zach Lowe had a good article on this exact subject

TheNumber37
09-27-2014, 02:58 AM
Reality, 36 mil over 4.. the market 44 for 4

akia83
09-27-2014, 05:34 AM
The market =Reality actually.

You guys are living like 7 years ago, Prices are higher now, Walker will get EASILY more than 10M$ a year. Probably around 12-14M$

IndyRealist
09-27-2014, 08:41 AM
This is someone else's list of PGs, but can anyone REALLY see him placed higher?
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?876481-Rank-your-top-20-Point-Guards!

CP3 (top five all time PG and in his prime)
Steph Curry (possible best shooter of all time and he can pass)
Tony Parker (chips and continuity... Knows how to win and step up)
Russell Westbrook (beast on both ends)
Goran Dragic (Best player on his team as a combo guard and true PG in the Wild West)
John Wall (speed and leadership)
Kyle Lowry
Damian Lilliard (second coming of Chauncey... But better.)
DWill ( good true PG)
Mike Conley (efficient)
Jrue Holiday
DRose (if he reaches 60% of past self)
Rajon Rondo (if he reaches 80% of past self)
Jeff Teague (has really stepped up)
Isaiah Thomas (scorer... Solid overall player)
Kyrie Irving (natural talent, but had locker room issues last season)
MCW (ROY has a lot to prove)
Brandon Jennings (decent stats... Learning how to distribute)
Kemba Walker (lots of potential)
Brandon Knight (he needs to figure out his all round game)

True Sports Fan
09-27-2014, 10:22 AM
I'd do something like 4 Years 8M per. Knowing this market though, wouldn't be surprised at all if he got near a max contract if not a max.

True Sports Fan
09-27-2014, 10:26 AM
This is someone else's list of PGs, but can anyone REALLY see him placed higher?
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?876481-Rank-your-top-20-Point-Guards!

I think I'd put him over MCW/Jennings and also drop down Rondo. Think he's done now.

Bruno
09-27-2014, 01:30 PM

IT, MCW, and Jennings aren't in front of Kemba.

the cap is going to grow, along with all contracts. If George Hill can get 8 million in an environment where nobody was predicting an $80M cap, then Kemba is a lock for $10M. he's better, and he'll sign in a different environment.

Chacarron
09-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Max. He provides too much #kembaswag

+1

FriedTofuz
09-27-2014, 04:38 PM
40 mil / 4 years at the minimum.

0nekhmer
09-27-2014, 05:48 PM
he deserves 10/year at the least. He's a franchise PG and is clutch. Haven't watched him enough to judge his defense, but he seems average. Just waiting for him to make that John wall leap into post season success

Goose17
09-28-2014, 06:45 AM
40mil/4 years sounds about right to me.

He's a restricted FA though so it depends on what other teams see his value as really.

I think Walker/Stephenson could be a decent backcourt.

mightybosstone
09-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Everyone keeps saying 4 years, $40 million, and that's spot on to where I had him. But Kemba is such a weird case and point guard pay has been so wildly inconsistent lately. Lowry got less than Gordon despite being a far more proven commodity.

Personally, with as many talented point guards in the league, I wouldn't pay him $10 million a year. I do think that's what he's worth in this market, but I don't envy the GM who has to pay him that. You're talking about a small point guard who can't shoot threes, doesn't score efficiently, can't defend the elite players at his position and is really just average as a distributor and playmaker. I'd almost rather let him walk and play a savvy veteran $5 million a year who can get me an efficient 10/5/3 a game in 30 minutes and play decent defense.

Goose17
09-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Damn... I just remembered something and I've now completely changed my mind about this.

Him and Jefferson are both FAs. I say give them both the max.

That way when Steph becomes a FA Charlotte can't make him an offer. He already said he's open minded about playing there and would like to someday.

Throw all your money away now please CatHornets. We need Steph.