PDA

View Full Version : Steve Ballmer To Ban L.A. Clippers From Using Apple Products

grandsalami
09-26-2014, 12:41 PM
New Clippers owner Steve Ballmer thinks the team is worth $2 billion, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that he has eccentric views on other subjects as well.

In an interview with Reuters, the Microsoft billionaire said he would bar the team from using Apple products.
"And [Coach] Doc [Rivers] kind of knows thatís a project. It's one of the first things he said to me: 'We are probably going to get rid of these iPads, arenít we?' And I said, 'Yeah, we probably are.' But I promised we would do it during the off season."
Apparently it's not enough for the Clippers to be the stepchildren of the L.A. sports scene. Now they'll have to walk around with second-hand Zune music players.

According to the article, Ballmer has banned his own family from owning iPhones. Only the best for the Ballmer clan.

No word on what this might mean for the players' beloved Beats headphones. Beats was acquired by Apple earlier this year, so presumably that puts them on Ballmer's banned list as well.

The good news for the Clippers? They can have all the Nokia phones and Skype calls they want, plus unlimited Hotmail accounts.
http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2014/09/25/steve-ballmer-to-ban-la-clippers-from-using-apple-products

jaydubb
09-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Beats is owned by apple now right? This is not gonna sit well with the players.. Haha

diu9leilomo
09-26-2014, 12:58 PM
lol, North Korean Clippers?

MonroeFAN
09-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Windows operated devices only.

In other words, only shady second rate electronics.

PurpleLynch
09-26-2014, 01:40 PM
What a douche,this is a bball team not an extension of Microsoft.

ccg34
09-26-2014, 01:50 PM
He is the boss so they should comply to his rules. It's not like any of them have a contract with beats or any other apple product. I'm sure he will hook them up with the best Microsoft has got to offer.

GiantsSwaGG
09-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Apple>Microsoft

MonroeFAN
09-26-2014, 02:06 PM
^if anyone tries to debate that they need to be shot.

Microsoft (outside of the xbox) is a heaping pile of **** that is so far behind in technology as a whole that it's laughable. The user interface for their OS looks like it was designed by a 4 year old, to be used by a 3 year old.

To me, this is almost as bad as being a racist (almost). Obviously not as sensitive of a subject. But discrimination is discrimination.

mike_noodles
09-26-2014, 02:17 PM
^if anyone tries to debate that they need to be shot.

Microsoft (outside of the xbox) is a heaping pile of **** that is so far behind in technology as a whole that it's laughable. The user interface for their OS looks like it was designed by a 4 year old, to be used by a 3 year old.

To me, this is almost as bad as being a racist (almost). Obviously not as sensitive of a subject. But discrimination is discrimination.

Lol, yeah that's the same thing. Hey, if he wants to foot the bill for everyone changing products, it's his money. And a ban on apple (which is mostly overpriced garbage anyhow and that includes Beats headphones) doesn't equal only Microsoft products. There are other brands (Samsung ftw).

FlashBolt
09-26-2014, 02:25 PM
He's an investor. Why would he want HIS players to ADVERTISE competition? This makes sense and I'm pretty sure the argument is they CAN have Apple products but just not advertise them around (publicly).

deaner
09-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Clippers move from race discrimination to a electronic version.

mdm692
09-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Doing them a favor more than anything lol.

Corey
09-26-2014, 02:54 PM
He can't.

HoodedSB
09-26-2014, 03:15 PM
He basically just said the team would switch to windows tablets, all that nonsense about the players not being able to own apple products was a huge reach on the part of the writer. The players are not his kids, he can't "ban" the use of apple products for the players personal use.

abe_froman
09-26-2014, 03:26 PM
it somewhat is since thats where his money comes from.he's just doing what's in his best interest ,why let his players be seen around with products from his chief competition

lamzoka
09-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Ya overreacting here. He's not talking about the players. If anything he's talking about the clippers as an organization.

PurpleLynch
09-26-2014, 05:47 PM
it somewhat is since thats where his money comes from.he's just doing what's in his best interest ,why let his players be seen around with products from his chief competition

I'm okay with that,but I hope he won't ban Apple for personal use.
Plus,I'm not an Apple guy,hell,I even own a Nokia Lumia ahah (right now is working very well)

BALLER R
09-26-2014, 05:53 PM
He can't be talking about the players. You mean they can't use their beats pills or headphones anymore. No ipad thats kind of stupid too because those things come in handy. Btw yeah he owns the team but does microsoft own the team or him. I don't think all that stuff is even necessary.

BALLER R
09-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Plus,I'm not an Apple guy,hell,I even own a Nokia Lumia ahah (right now is working very well)

Wondering this too but I don't think he can do that.

Dade County
09-26-2014, 06:10 PM
And it begins.

abe_froman
09-26-2014, 06:20 PM

i dont think he can.maybe not on the premises or something,but thats as far as he can go
i'm not one either,but also not a hater.they make fine products("apple fans" though ,they annoy me.they act way to cult like)

Phenomenonsense
09-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Lmao people actually think apple products are good? I guess advertising is more important than actually producing a decent product.

BALLER R
09-26-2014, 06:45 PM
What mp3 player is better than an iPod. Their ipad are good too. The only thing you can argue are the phones. I think android phones are better overall.

MonroeFAN
09-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Apple is the biggest company in our country and is innovative beyond belief. People who are anti Apple are poor more often than not.

PurpleLynch
09-26-2014, 06:49 PM
i dont think he can.maybe not on the premises or something,but thats as far as he can go
i'm not one either,but also not a hater.they make fine products("apple fans" though ,they annoy me.they act way to cult like)

Absolutely true. People seem to know just two brands...there is a Galaxy of opportunities on the market lol

beasted86
09-26-2014, 07:10 PM
I honestly don't get the obsession with Apple products by their fan boys. I mean they make a fine set of products, but to their fans it's like the company's vision is immune to criticism.... until it changes.

One minute their fanboys are like a 3.5" screen is perfect, anything bigger is clumsy and useless... then they are like a 4" is perfect... now they are like a 5" is perfect. "Electronics homers" LOL...

Anyway, on topic, if it's the company spending it's money on these iPads and products he definitely has a say.

I'd also bet he can grant them access to private market products that crap on any cell phone or tablet available to the public. Stuff with processors and RAM only made up in your dreams.

flea
09-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Apple fans like overpaying for decent hardware and outdated operating systems because they're marketed to morons. Let them have their little club.

ghettosean
09-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Ya overreacting here. He's not talking about the players. If anything he's talking about the clippers as an organization.

This!!!

Besides apple sucks they are behind the times now coming out with ideas and technology from 2012 in the iPhone 6... lol.

Also they are coming out with an apple watch acting as if it's so revolutionary as if smart watches haven't been around for some time now... lol

People buy them because they are mindless drones who are hypnotized by apples marketing tactics.

Sincerely,

A new Steve Balmer fan

ghettosean
09-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Apple is the biggest company in our country and is innovative beyond belief. People who are anti Apple are poor more often than not.

Perfect example of my quote

HoodedSB
09-26-2014, 08:03 PM
This image people have created of "Apple fanboys" is such nonsense. I have never met a single apple user who thinks that way, they mostly just find them easier to use and familiar.

flclfanman
09-26-2014, 08:20 PM
What mp3 player is better than an iPod. Their ipad are good too. The only thing you can argue are the phones. I think android phones are better overall.

there all just chunks of plastic that store digital songs. There's nothing one has over the other.

Apple is the epitome of brand brainwashing. Just because it's everywhere doesn't mean it's better than others. Nike had the same affect on people in the 90s.

And Apple phones are far, FAR inferior to other Smartphones. The Iphone 5 just recently cleaned up call quality for gods sake. Not to mention Apple's DRM storefront and discouragement to alter your phone. Ironic for such an "innovative" brand.

flclfanman
09-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Apple fans like overpaying for decent hardware and outdated operating systems because they're marketed to morons. Let them have their little club.

:hi5:

This!!!

Besides apple sucks they are behind the times now coming out with ideas and technology from 2012 in the iPhone 6... lol.

Also they are coming out with an apple watch acting as if it's so revolutionary as if smart watches haven't been around for some time now... lol

People buy them because they are mindless drones who are hypnotized by apples marketing tactics.

Sincerely,

A new Steve Balmer fan

like I said in my last post, the EPITOME of brand brainwashing. If they made an Apple dildo, some people would gladly buy them to **** themselves with a "quality" product.

mike_noodles
09-26-2014, 10:35 PM
like I said in my last post, the EPITOME of brand brainwashing. If they made an Apple dildo, some people would gladly buy them to **** themselves with a "quality" product.

I can see the marketing campaign, lool.

WadeKobe
09-26-2014, 11:26 PM
I honestly don't get the obsession with Apple products by their fan boys. I mean they make a fine set of products, but to their fans it's like the company's vision is immune to criticism.... until it changes.

One minute their fanboys are like a 3.5" screen is perfect, anything bigger is clumsy and useless... then they are like a 4" is perfect... now they are like a 5" is perfect. "Electronics homers" LOL...

Anyway, on topic, if it's the company spending it's money on these iPads and products he definitely has a say.

I'd also bet he can grant them access to private market products that crap on any cell phone or tablet available to the public. Stuff with processors and RAM only made up in your dreams.

Its because Apple doesn't sell products. It sells a vision. That is what Microsoft and Android have largely failed to do, although Samsung is catching on. People are far more likely to buy a vision they can be a part of than a product. Apple's people are so "cult like" because they have bought into being a part of Steve Jobs' vision. It isn't about products, it is about being an Apple owner. It makes you "somebody".

It has nothing to do with "morons" like flea tried to say. Smart and dumb people alike are all more likely to buy a vision than a product.

LakersOrNothing
09-27-2014, 12:07 AM
^^ yo Steve I thought you were dead

WadeKobe
09-27-2014, 12:24 AM
^^ yo Steve I thought you were dead

Lol. I am not saying I bought in. I bartended for 7 years and for the last 6 months have been doing commission only sales. It is sales and marketing 101.

A light beer is a ****ing light beer. Why should someone stay at my bar and bit it from me and tip me?
There are a lot of different windows on the market. WHy should they buy mine from me? Because it is better? Because they trust me? Those things help. But it is far more effective (and far more likely I get the sale) if I can create a vision of their life with my window, and help the see themselves in that vision.

Apple did it with te iPhone back in 2007. They offered the first multi-touch platform to replace Blackberries which had dominated the elite, business phones. In 2007, what phone was the businessman in the tie on the plane next to you using to call his boss when he touched down in Denver on his business trip, to make plans for his next trip to LA?

an iPhone.

From there they began marketing it to everyone. And they were always a step ahead at that point.

Why do apple turds have such an elitist attitude? Because EVERYONE wants to be part of the "elite"... And Apple successfully positioned themselves in the market to sell exactly that.

Samsung has only begun to catch on in the last couple of years. Which is why they're starting to become a very serious competitor on the smartphone market. But they still will struggle because Apple has every platform.

It is sales 101. You sell a vision, not a product.

beasted86
09-27-2014, 12:41 AM
Its because Apple doesn't sell products. It sells a vision. That is what Microsoft and Android have largely failed to do, although Samsung is catching on. People are far more likely to buy a vision they can be a part of than a product. Apple's people are so "cult like" because they have bought into being a part of Steve Jobs' vision. It isn't about products, it is about being an Apple owner. It makes you "somebody".

It has nothing to do with "morons" like flea tried to say. Smart and dumb people alike are all more likely to buy a vision than a product.

Well to be truthful, it is sort of moronic. Its founded in the idea that people simply refuse to inform, and think for themselves.

Going back to my original point, a friend, not a year ago told me my Galaxy S4 was too big and bulky and he wouldn't buy a phone that big because it was too big to handle. Now this friend tells me the iPhone 6 is well-sized and he has no problem handling it. Essentially at the root of this is he didn't feel he was allowed to like a 5 inch screen until Apple told him it was okay for him to like a 5 inch screen.

This applies to many other fields, not just electronics or sports... its really anything. Many people really don't like to think for themselves. Its either too time consuming doing the research to make an informed opinion, or they lack the reasoning skills to make the decisions themselves. I admit I am also guilty of this as probably 99% of us are as well.

ChI_ShIzzLe
09-27-2014, 01:26 AM
Well at least he didn't ban Google as well so they can still use Androids, which are better anyways.

jrm2054
09-27-2014, 01:31 AM
Who cares apple is second to android anyway which isn't banned get them android phones and put their music on there who still has a device solely for music?
The beats they will get over it there are cheap quality anyway the athletes just like them because they are so cool but sound bad compared to other headphones in that price range.

The only thing apple is ahead on here is tablets. The iPad is way better then a window tablet and a bit better then a droid tablet. Though the new firmware update for iPad sucks

jrm2054
09-27-2014, 01:37 AM
Lol. I am not saying I bought in. I bartended for 7 years and for the last 6 months have been doing commission only sales. It is sales and marketing 101.

A light beer is a ****ing light beer. Why should someone stay at my bar and bit it from me and tip me?
There are a lot of different windows on the market. WHy should they buy mine from me? Because it is better? Because they trust me? Those things help. But it is far more effective (and far more likely I get the sale) if I can create a vision of their life with my window, and help the see themselves in that vision.

Apple did it with te iPhone back in 2007. They offered the first multi-touch platform to replace Blackberries which had dominated the elite, business phones. In 2007, what phone was the businessman in the tie on the plane next to you using to call his boss when he touched down in Denver on his business trip, to make plans for his next trip to LA?

an iPhone.

From there they began marketing it to everyone. And they were always a step ahead at that point.

Why do apple turds have such an elitist attitude? Because EVERYONE wants to be part of the "elite"... And Apple successfully positioned themselves in the market to sell exactly that.

Samsung has only begun to catch on in the last couple of years. Which is why they're starting to become a very serious competitor on the smartphone market. But they still will struggle because Apple has every platform.

It is sales 101. You sell a vision, not a product.
Actually android has killed them on the smartphone market the last few years the issue is it doesn't look like it because while 35 phones run android there's only 1 iPhone but there are more people with android phones. Honestly in my experience the main iPhone users are women and non tech savy guys anyone who has used both or knows about third party software etc uses a android.
Also the iPhone 6 plus is a galaxy note that came out 3 years ago.

The area apple is still ahead on is tablets the iPad is far superior at this point but I feel in 3 years that won't be the case.

jrm2054
09-27-2014, 01:39 AM
Who still uses ipods. I thought people just used their phones. I have over 2000 songs on my phone.

raiderposting
09-27-2014, 02:57 AM
Lol if I was cp3 and blake I'll make a pact to come in with my iPad, iphone, and beats together all the time. Wtf is he gonna do?

TheNumber37
09-27-2014, 03:00 AM

The team is an extension of his business. He paid 2 billion for it, he can do what he wants.

flea
09-27-2014, 08:15 AM

If you think buying some electronic junk that will be obsolete in 2 years makes you part of a "vision" then I don't really think I was off-base. Sounds like you've bought their marketing gimmick too.

Jamiecballer
09-27-2014, 08:26 AM
If you think buying some electronic junk that will be obsolete in 2 years makes you part of a "vision" then I don't really think I was off-base. Sounds like you've bought their marketing gimmick too.
He's right. You don't sell people on a product. You sell them on a feeling. Every successful business knows this.

flea
09-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Marketing works on morons, sucker born every minute, etc.

BALLER R
09-27-2014, 09:12 AM

What are 5 products you use daily?

flea
09-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Magnum condoms, and 4 of your female family members and friends.

ChI_ShIzzLe
09-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Who cares apple is second to android anyway which isn't banned get them android phones and put their music on there who still has a device solely for music?
The beats they will get over it there are cheap quality anyway the athletes just like them because they are so cool but sound bad compared to other headphones in that price range.

The only thing apple is ahead on here is tablets. The iPad is way better then a window tablet and a bit better then a droid tablet. Though the new firmware update for iPad sucks
BOSE headphones and speakers are far superior to Beats. It's just an unnecessarily overpriced brand like its daddy Apple.

ChI_ShIzzLe
09-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Actually android has killed them on the smartphone market the last few years the issue is it doesn't look like it because while 35 phones run android there's only 1 iPhone but there are more people with android phones. Honestly in my experience the main iPhone users are women and non tech savy guys anyone who has used both or knows about third party software etc uses a android.
Also the iPhone 6 plus is a galaxy note that came out 3 years ago.

The area apple is still ahead on is tablets the iPad is far superior at this point but I feel in 3 years that won't be the case.
Its usually between Apple and Samsung so a lot of consumers don't know about some of the other ones. The HTC One M8 and LG G3 are probably better than both Samsung and iPhones right now. I bought the G3 and it's absolutely beautiful and has superior specs compared to the iPhone 6.

Jamiecballer
09-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Its a little complicated than that. Human beings for the most part make decisions based on emotion and justify them with logic and not the other way around. That puts your and others of your superior stock in the minority LOL.

But really, we are ALL influenced by it on different things. Unless you believe yourself to be an unbiased expert on everything.

effen5
09-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Magnum condoms, and 4 of your female family members and friends.

:laugh:

effen5
09-27-2014, 12:11 PM
I only use one product from apple and thats my ipod nano for when I work out. I've completely bought into samsung now. My Galaxy S5 Active > any apple 6 products.

bagwell368
09-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Apple>Microsoft

Actually:

UNIX/BSD/Linux > Apple >> M$

Notice Apples were about as buggy as M$ until they went Mach - see OS X.

Vinylman
09-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Steve Ballmer has been so wrong so many times its not even funny including the ridiculous price he paid for the Clippers...

This one is the best and probably explains why he doesn't want players using Apple products as once again he was WRONG!

In 2007 Ballmer said "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance"

Microsoft investors are so glad this guy is gone as the stock has skyrocketed since his retirement was announced...

Clipper fans will learn the hard way when it comes to this guy

flea
09-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Actually:

UNIX/BSD/Linux > Apple >> M$

Notice Apples were about as buggy as M$ until they went Mach - see OS X.
Agreed, I've been a Linux user for 6 or 7 years now and I'm not particularly techy. I've used OSX to some degree, usually troubleshooting for people, and it's just an inferior Unix-based OS. So you're paying for good, not great, hardware and an OS very similar but inferior to those that are free. 10 years ago? Gotta go proprietary. Today there is almost no point.

WadeKobe
09-27-2014, 06:47 PM

I haven't bought it. I use an iPhone because I am technologically challenged and the iPhone allows a very, very easy user interface that is easy for technological handicapped people like myself. I owed an iPd because that made sense and then I got an iPhone because I didn't need to learn anything new.

I am good with people. Not technology. iPhones work for me. I don't need a great phone and I don't care to have the best.

Trust me, I didn't buy into anything.

But I am a salesman by trade, and I can respect and recognize a great sales pitch.

Goose17
09-28-2014, 08:52 AM
I told you he is crazy.

JWO35
09-28-2014, 10:12 AM
lol my 1 1/2yr old android phone is better than the new iPhone 6....where's the IR blaster, water/dust resistance, multi app window, Quad core processor? Even spec wise it has the upper hand :laugh2: