PDA

View Full Version : Bucks will experiment with 6'11 Giannis Antetokounmpo at PG this season

spreadeagle
09-25-2014, 03:14 PM
The Milwaukee Bucks have a starting point guard in Brandon Knight, if they want to be traditional.

However, the Bucks have an untraditional talent Giannis Antetokounmpo. Hes a 611 two-guard who runs the floor like a gazelle, plus he has handles, the ability to drive, and good court vision. All that open up a lot of possibilities.

Like Antetokounmpo the point guard (not just a point forward, but playing the one). Jason Kidd tried it out at Summer League (with mixed results, he averaged 17 points a game on 40.2 percent shooting, plus 3.3 assists a game) and now is going to try it out some during the NBA season. The Bucks are so invested in the idea they are bringing in Gary Payton as a consultant to work with him.

Antetokounmpo is pumped about the opportunity he told Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders.

Im not going to say I was shocked by it, Antetokounmpo told Basketball Insiders when asked about the move to point guard. Its something that I feel comfortable with and Ill play wherever Coach wants me to play, especially when its Coach Kidd who thinks that I can play point guard. That makes me feel like, I can play it. I can play point guard. Im going to try my best and just listen to Coach. Ill do whatever Coach says to do and Ill get more comfortable.

As for Gary Payton and Kidd working with him.

Oh man, its really important and nice, since theyre some of the best point guards in NBA history, Antetokounmpo said of Kidd and Payton. Not only are they great point guards, theyre great basketball players and can help us all basketball wise. Whatever they say, that is what Im going to do. Im so happy to have guys like them as I figure out the position and to have them teach me. Im really excited. Ive talked with Jason Kidd and hes a really good coach, but hes also a really great guy. He treats us really well.

This is the kind of experiment the Bucks need to try they cannot think inside the box. Simply put, Milwaukee is not the market elite free agents will flock to unless another star is there (and of course, plenty of money). Think Cleveland with and without LeBron and how Kevin Love viewed it. If the Bucks are going to build an elite team they need some big hits in the draft, which they hope Jabari Parker will be. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/25/giannis-antetokounmpo-excited-about-playing-some-point-guard/

OKC
09-25-2014, 03:27 PM
awesome, hope it goes well

Redrum187
09-25-2014, 03:29 PM
PG: Giannis Antetokounmpo SG: Dirk Nowitzki SF: Andre Bargnani PF: Spencer Hawes C: Roy Hibbert

JEDean89
09-25-2014, 06:02 PM
i love giannis, he is gonna be something unique the game has never seen before.

Bruno
09-25-2014, 07:07 PM
if Kidd and Payton believe then I think its a worthy experiment.

BALLER R
09-25-2014, 08:07 PM
If this kid ever taps the surface of his potential he's going to be scary. If he can be a lockdown defender look out.

Bruno
09-25-2014, 08:21 PM
everyone should youtube what he did again OKC and NYK last year. it looked to me like Melo and KD went at him too. he held his own. flashes of brilliance.

THE MTL
09-25-2014, 08:29 PM
And i thought i was excited about Dante Exum a 6'6 pg. I can only imagine this guy. But im not betting on this experiment at all though lol

KnickNyKnick
09-25-2014, 08:51 PM
oh god, kidds getting fired.

True Sports Fan
09-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Sounds like something that would work..... On FBB

5ass
09-25-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty sure he's not up to the task right now. I dont think he's able to run an offense right now. If he does work out, I hope they start mayo and not knight. You want the other guard to beat up on the point guards, Bledsoe would've been perfect.

Bruno
09-25-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure he's not up to the task right now. I dont think he's able to run an offense right now. If he does work out, I hope they start mayo and not knight. You want the other guard to beat up on the point guards, Bledsoe would've been perfect.

he isn't. I don't think he ever will be. But I think they're doing this so they can develop him as a legitimate secondary ball handler in the offense. a guy who can get a defensive board and not immediately defer to ball to the shortest man, a guy who can rebound and push the ball and initiate the offense. i think thats what Giannis will become, and I think he'll be effective. But yeah, I don't think he'll ever be a full time PG with a legitimate assist to turn over ration.

Giannis at the very least will become comparable to prime lamar odom, hopefully lots more.

Bruno
09-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Giannis at OKC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BOkyq_H3E

Giannis vs Knicks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBZfHHhV36k

dalton749
09-25-2014, 09:39 PM
This kind of **** is ruining basketball. We've already lost the sg position to the point, and centres because of that.
It's turning the nba into a freakshow

Ariza's Better
09-25-2014, 10:27 PM
This kind of **** is ruining basketball. We've already lost the sg position to the point, and centres because of that.
I don't even know how to respond to this.

Dade County
09-25-2014, 11:01 PM

lol

It would be cool if you went into more detail about how you feel. Do you dislike position-less basketball?

flea
09-25-2014, 11:03 PM
I don't even know how to respond to this.
The fact that you can't play on ball defense anymore in the NBA is unique. Watch college, you've got to be an elite ball handler or a good shooter to get anywhere near the paint with the ball against competent defenses. The NBA has lesser guards tearing through the defense on. I ritually every team.

slashsnake
09-26-2014, 12:52 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/25/giannis-antetokounmpo-excited-about-playing-some-point-guard/

6'11 Euro D and you can't hand check. Ty Lawson and about a billion other 6' or less point guards just smiled at hearing that matchup on D.

Actually I bet if they do use him like that, it will be hopefully like the triangle with Oden, Pippen, or Kukoc at point forward and playing D on forwards.

Bruno
09-26-2014, 01:04 AM
The fact that you can't play on ball defense anymore in the NBA is unique. Watch college, you've got to be an elite ball handler or a good shooter to get anywhere near the paint with the ball against competent defenses. The NBA has lesser guards tearing through the defense on. I ritually every team.

i tend to agree with this.

but this doesn't have anything to do with Giannis, or players who are unusual in size for their position. I do agree that there's something wrong with the game if PGs can straight dominant the league. with that being said, none of them have won championships yet, the elite wing still owns the NBA. but i don't like a game with rules that allows ball handlers to have a distinct advantage post players. big men get clobbered, smalls get touched and get a whistle. the rules have obviously favored perimeter play for a while.

FlashBolt
09-26-2014, 01:14 AM
The best player being a PG to win a ring has been over 20 years... NBA is just at a point where EVERY player is skilled. This means the setup of things are just more complicated.

Kashmir13579
09-26-2014, 04:15 AM
I can't wait to watch.

ThuglifeJ
09-26-2014, 04:25 AM
...hed be awful running point. Awful. He's not high IQ at all, he'd turn it over 20 times a game and get 2 assists. I like the Odom potential comment...that's more his style in this aspect..no chance at point guard success, zero point guard instincts wtf Kidd?

3 assists in summer league kinda says something

arlubas
09-26-2014, 05:44 AM
The best player being a PG to win a ring has been over 20 years... NBA is just at a point where EVERY player is skilled. This means the setup of things are just more complicated.

with that being said, none of them have won championships yet, the elite wing still owns the NBA.
Tony Parker anyone?

Bruno
09-26-2014, 06:23 AM
Tony Parker anyone?

never as the best player on his team. parkers great no dig on him.

PurpleLynch
09-26-2014, 07:04 AM
We'll see,it's a risky experiment,but if it fails they won't have problems,Wolters and Marshall can run the point guard position.

muelly
09-26-2014, 07:23 AM
...hed be awful running point. Awful. He's not high IQ at all, he'd turn it over 20 times a game and get 2 assists. I like the Odom potential comment...that's more his style in this aspect..no chance at point guard success, zero point guard instincts wtf Kidd?

Your using summer league stats to evaluate talent now?

Assist numbers are incredibly low in summer league to boot as well. Less game time and a ton of garbage shots are forced up by guys who will be bagging groceries in a few weeks. C'mon man!

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Doubt every minute he logs will all be exclusively at pg. Yeah he will be playing some pg. Probably depends on match ups. Like when opposing teams starting pg goes to the bench and back up pg comes in then Giannis probably then racks up the pg minutes then. But actually could be pg on offense and sg on defense. He played sg/sf last season. Its most likely to gather extra minutes. Since Kidd wants to go big line up of Giannis/Knight/Parker/Ilyasova/Sanders. Once Knight goes to the bench for a breather then Giannis probably slides over to sg and Wolters or Marshall steps in at pg. Or when Ilyasova goes to the bench then Parker goes to pf. Then Giannis to sf. Giannis will be playing some point forward as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06YrqzwFBkA

Small sample size of Giannis playing pg versus Jazz in summer league. Giannis races by Exum and dunks over Gobert.

PhillyFaninLA
09-26-2014, 07:54 AM
My only concern is how does a 6'11" guy not get the ball stolen from him regularly by the shorter and faster point guards

ThuglifeJ
09-26-2014, 09:33 AM

Your using summer league stats to evaluate talent now?

Assist numbers are incredibly low in summer league to boot as well. Less game time and a ton of garbage shots are forced up by guys who will be bagging groceries in a few weeks. C'mon man!

I'm also using his ability on the court with the bucks

IndyRealist
09-26-2014, 10:06 AM
never as the best player on his team. parkers great no dig on him.

Pretty sure he has a Finals MVP.

MonroeFAN
09-26-2014, 10:33 AM
This was announced during the off-season (pre-summer-league). He played some point during the Summer league and sucked.

JasonJohnHorn
09-26-2014, 10:48 AM
I would love to see this go over well. I'm not optimistic, but I am hopeful.

Being that tall... with such a high dribble is going to give short guys an advantage when it comes to getting steals if he is facing them with the ball.

5ass
09-26-2014, 01:26 PM
I would love to see this go over well. I'm not optimistic, but I am hopeful.

Being that tall... with such a high dribble is going to give short guys an advantage when it comes to getting steals if he is facing them with the ball.

Agreed. I also think its going to be funny watching him run around picks trying to chase point guards. It's just not going to happen.

North Yorker
09-26-2014, 03:00 PM

Billups and Parker both won Finals MVP in the last decade or so.

Bruno
09-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Pretty sure he has a Finals MVP.

he was. that doesn't mean he was better than Tim Duncan. he not, never was.

Bruno
09-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Billups and Parker both won Finals MVP in the last decade or so.

right. our only two examples. Billups was a part of one of the best defensive teams of all time, and Parker was a part of the Pop/Duncan system. neither of them stood out as the best most dominant player on their teams a Finals MVP trophy doesn't change that.

smith&wesson
09-26-2014, 03:53 PM
it wont work... smaller and quicker gaurds would just break his ankles and steal the ball right off him.

Sactown
09-26-2014, 04:02 PM
it wont work... smaller and quicker gaurds would just break his ankles and steal the ball right off him.

I agree. doesn't make sense, play him at his position and have him run the offense if you feel he has the ability to do so... If you want him to match up defensively with a PG just have the rest of the lineup slide over...

North Yorker
09-26-2014, 05:46 PM
right. our only two examples. Billups was a part of one of the best defensive teams of all time, and Parker was a part of the Pop/Duncan system. neither of them stood out as the best most dominant player on their teams a Finals MVP trophy doesn't change that.

Why would you discount 2 times in the past 10 years? 5 Guards and 5 Forwards have won it during that time. Heck Rondo could've made it 3 PGs in the past 10 years if Garnett was healthy back in 09.

Why did they win it then if they weren't the best player during the Finals?

arlubas
09-26-2014, 05:59 PM
I'm sorry but have you actually watched the 07 Finals? There was a reason he got the award over Tim Duncan and he most definitely was the more dominant player, at least for that series. Yes San Antonio has a great system but that doesn't mean we should be taking the greatness of guys like Parker, Manu etc for granted because of that.

flea
09-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Go look up 07 Spurs playoff stats, Duncan was leading scorer and rebounder and was the best defender on the court. The only thing he did below his standards in those playoffs was shoot FTs.

arlubas
09-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Go look up 07 Spurs playoff stats, Duncan was leading scorer and rebounder and was the best defender on the court. The only thing he did below his standards in those playoffs was shoot FTs.
It's not always about numbers. Parker was wrecking chaos in that series and was responsible for a lot of baskets the other Spurs were getting with his relentless penetration and pressure on the opposing D.

For the record back in the day I was rooting for Duncan to get the award but in all honesty either one could've gotten it and you wouldn't be able to form a solid argument against that, kinda like the 2010 Finals MVP award with Kobe and Pau (I was going for Pau on that one btw).

flea
09-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Parker was good, not denying that. Just not better than his 2 way top 5 big of all time.

Bruno
09-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Parker was good, not denying that. Just not better than his 2 way top 5 big of all time.

x2. taking over a four game series does't mean he's better than the great tim duncan. he had a more favorable individual match up and exploited it. TD could easily have 5 FMVPs

FriedTofuz
09-27-2014, 04:40 PM
No way can he do that. He's way too slow for that.

DemarDerozan
09-28-2014, 02:41 AM
Could you imagine this dude smacking the **** out of Brandon Jennings with those freakish hands?

DemarDerozan
09-28-2014, 02:43 AM

It will work if they put Brandon Knight at the 4 LOL

omdigga
09-28-2014, 08:46 AM

lol... they should never try anything new.. thats a good way to evolve the game...

this post reminds me of the movie semi-pro when the ref doesnt want to allow the alley-oop...

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-28-2014, 01:53 PM
It will work if they put Brandon Knight at the 4 LOL

Kidd mentioned he prefers Knight at sg.

Sly Guy
09-29-2014, 07:51 AM
interesting idea, but I dunno, something about guys this big playing point makes me worry he'll be either turnover prone, or unable to contain his man off the bounce for it to work

waveycrockett
09-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Honestly the kid is over hyped. Yes he was a steal in the 2nd round but I saw him play a bunch of times last season never came away thinking he was going to be an allstar. He is extremely atheltic, skinny and raw. His upside is Nic Batum 2.0 but they talk about him like he is the second coming of Durant.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-29-2014, 09:28 AM
Second round? Who? Giannis was #15 first round.